• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Salt Fest May 10-12 Brawl/Melee - May 10th, 2013 - Salt Lake City, UT

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
Buzz is referring to Melee, not Brawl.

PC, is there any way to get rid of the Confirmed Attendees section next to the map or at least update it? It says 0 confirmed when there are obviously people that have already confirmed/registered.

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
As far as I know, those three stages haven't been a counterpick since forever ago. It wasn't just Apex that has those stages.

And I'm not quite sure where I click to edit that thing at the top...

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
Maybe it has to be an admin? Which would seem silly. But it says that RSVPing is turned off, which leaves the 0 confirmed attendees at that spot. It's just not the best for trying to hype up a tourney to be big LOL

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
I didn't stay up until 6 AM to make that first post so that people can ignore it... <_<
SCHEDULE
The tournament events for Super Smash Bros. is scheduled to be held on Saturday and Sunday, with pools on Saturday and brackets on Sunday. We are working to schedule in Doubles for both Smash games at the moment, and they will likely to be held on the same days with similar schedules as Singles.
There's your answer.

Anyway, have you pre-registered on the main site, yet?

A Psychiatrist

Smash Apprentice
Thanks! No, I havent registered yet. I will for sure though, I just don't have a card to pay online with, so I'll to go get a prepaid one from somewhere. Also, if you Utah smashers want to get together and play some casual games before the tournament, that would be cool. I guess I am just some random, but I do want to play more and see how I compare to some local players.

*edit* Sorry, I read the first post a few days after it had been made, and I was mostly searching the website for when each game was being played. :p

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
Premium
BRoomer
Thanks! No, I havent registered yet. I will for sure though, I just don't have a card to pay online with, so I'll to go get a prepaid one from somewhere. Also, if you Utah smashers want to get together and play some casual games before the tournament, that would be cool. I guess I am just some random, but I do want to play more and see how I compare to some local players.

*edit* Sorry, I read the first post a few days after it had been made, and I was mostly searching the website for when each game was being played. :p
I am always up for smash whenever. If you wanna play and get better, send me a message. :]

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
Thanks! No, I havent registered yet. I will for sure though, I just don't have a card to pay online with, so I'll to go get a prepaid one from somewhere.
There's a tournament at a cafe called Kafeneio this Saturday, if you're interested (CLICK HERE for details). You can purchase your badge for Salt Fest in person there as well with cash, if you're interested. And since you asked about Melee, specifically, does that mean you play only Melee, or do you play both Melee and Brawl? The tournament on Saturday is currently schedule to only have Brawl among the Smash games (there are other fighters there as well), but if there's enough interest for a Melee one, it can happen, too. I don't play Brawl, myself, but I usually come to play friendlies with people in Melee or Project:M and to also hang out with people in the scene.
Also, you should come talk in the Utah Thread. Or have you been lurking there, already? XD

A Psychiatrist

Smash Apprentice
I've only been lurking the southwest regional tournaments board, I'll be sure to stop by the Utah thread. :p I only play melee, and I don't have a wii and brawl doesnt tickle my fancy. I won't be able to go to that cafe tournament, because I'm working. :/

TheBuzzSaw

Premium
BRoomer
Also, what are the perks/discounts/etc. of bringing equipment for the tournament?

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
Does that extra pot bonus still only apply if we get 32 entrants before march 22nd? cause I'm talking to OoS people, but they're not sure if they can confirm before then.

ASLC

Smash Apprentice
Does that extra pot bonus still only apply if we get 32 entrants before march 22nd? cause I'm talking to OoS people, but they're not sure if they can confirm before then.
I'm willing to extend the date for them because I want this to be a big Smash tournament.

Anyone know if there is going to be Doubles as well? And if so, would we have to pay extra?
Yes, there will be doubles and yes, you will have to pay extra to get into the tournament.
It works like this. You purchase a badge and you're allowed to do anything that the convention offers that is non tournament related (guests, panels, live music, etc.). If you want to enter a tournament, you have to pay for each tournament you plan on participating in. The entry fee for tournaments all goes back to the players in the form of cash prizes.

ASLC

Smash Apprentice
I'm in the process of making the tournament schedule for Smash. It should be up tonight or tomorrow. I'll link it here once I'm finished and it's up on the website.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
Are we still going to try and do it all on Saturday?

It shouldn't be too hard to do it all in one day and that might get the best attendance assuming some OoS people will still be in school/that's the weekend before finals for some of them.

ASLC

Smash Apprentice
Are we still going to try and do it all on Saturday?

It shouldn't be too hard to do it all in one day and that might get the best attendance assuming some OoS people will still be in school/that's the weekend before finals for some of them.
That depends on a number of these things which I'll quickly list:
1. The number of setups we end up having
2. The number of players that end up signing up
3. You have to take into account that there will be people who sign up on site, day of. This means you set up the pools beforehand and capt it at a maximum number of pools. You then put in all the people who signed up online and then you leave empty slots knowing that people will sign up day of.
4. I don't have any idea of how many people we're expecting for the Smash Brothers Tournament(s).
5. We're running singles and doubles for both Brawl and Melee.
6. Smash Brothers tournaments take an extremely long time to run in comparison to other games.

At this point in time, I'm not inclined to yes that all the tournaments will be finished in one day. It's very very dependent on factors that TO's don't have control over. This is why we always stress that people sign up early. It's so we have an idea of what to expect in terms of numbers.

TLDR; If the tournament is extremely small, it will all be ran in one day. It's also not every wise to make a schedule based off of one day when there's a potential that enough people will show up to force us to have to run it in two days but I'll see what I can do.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
Yeah, I understand what you mean. I guess even if it did go onto Sunday if we needed the extra day it wouldn't take the whole day to finish up what's left and that would give people plenty of time to get back if that's a concern.

As for our other tourneys taking forever to finish, I think it's mostly because certain groups of people have a tendency to show up two hours late, leave randomly for food, and avoid playing their matches right away. I have run a couple tourneys up here in Provo where we had 30~ entrants, ran pools and bracket as well as doing brawl and melee singles and doubles (granted melee/brawl doubles had less entrants than brawl singles). But we only had 5-6 total setups and we finished in one day pretty easily. That was on top of a lot of the normal draw backs that normally happen that are mentioned above. So if we were on top of it as far as starting on time, running the pools/brackets efficiently, and making sure people play their matches when they're called, I don't think we'd have a problem doing it all in one day.

Here's the list of setups that I've heard of so far (and the only people I've talked to so far lol):
My apt (2 full setups and possibly an extra TV)
Jellyfishn (full set up)
Tane (full set up)

I can try and find out a more definite list of possible setups if you'd like to give you a better idea of how many we'll have.

ASLC

Smash Apprentice
I have a list of the people who have promised to bring things. Have all those people email me because I've been making a list and adding who is bringing setups and so they can get a discount http://www.saltfest.org/supporter.html. I do feel having us run over the course of Saturday and finish early on Sunday would still be best. Even though I know some of you guys don't care, there are others that I think are excited to participate in the other things we're offering at the convention. There are even indie developers with demos to test that will be coming.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
Yeah for sure. I have no problem with it running over to Sunday personally. I'm just raising potential concerns people might have as you're coming up with the schedule.

So for the supporter discount, last time I checked it said something about having to bring it for all three days. Would that still apply to smash since it would be starting on Saturday instead of Friday?

ASLC

Smash Apprentice
They can be brought if anyone would like to play casuals on Friday. We actually have to get that changed to reflect that Smash will be on Saturday and Sunday since originally, we weren't sure because we had no schedule or any idea of when we were going to run the Smash tournaments.

TheBuzzSaw

Premium
BRoomer
By the way, this is probably a really good opportunity to expand the scene. We can't just play a buncha friendlies and call it a day. I suggest we have some kind of signup sheet for people to put their email addresses onto to subscribe to a mailing list for smash events in Utah. I'd be more than willing to operate that mailing list. Smash forum/site rivalries aside, it'd be a quick and easy way of slowly pulling in new players without having to coerce them into signing up for the forum right away.

ASLC, you don't have a problem with this, right?

ASLC

Smash Apprentice
By the way, this is probably a really good opportunity to expand the scene. We can't just play a buncha friendlies and call it a day. I suggest we have some kind of signup sheet for people to put their email addresses onto to subscribe to a mailing list for smash events in Utah. I'd be more than willing to operate that mailing list. Smash forum/site rivalries aside, it'd be a quick and easy way of slowly pulling in new players without having to coerce them into signing up for the forum right away.

ASLC, you don't have a problem with this, right?
Nope, it's a good idea and I am also willing to operate since we currently have a tournament email for those who questions about what's happening in Utah. It's tournament@utahfightcircuit.com for any questions, comments, and/or suggestions. I was planning on doing this already so it must be a good idea of the two of us came up with the same idea.

TheBuzzSaw

Premium
BRoomer
Nope, it's a good idea and I am also willing to operate since we currently have a tournament email for those who questions about what's happening in Utah. It's tournament@utahfightcircuit.com for any questions, comments, and/or suggestions. I was planning on doing this already so it must be a good idea of the two of us came up with the same idea.
Definitely. We want to send out updates for both formal tournaments and casual smashfests (practice). We can't let these people out of our sight.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Yea there's probably hundreds of newbies I met once or twice at a tournament or smashfest or something and then never heard from them again.

TheBuzzSaw

Premium
BRoomer
I'm sure activity will pick up as the event draws closer.

And to any oos smashers reading this, I am still open to housing you. No one has demonstrated an interest yet. :]

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
M2K, since we got the RSVP feature turned on more recently, you should at least RSVP so that people can see your name on the list when they first load up the thread.

ASLC

Smash Apprentice
Z just confirmed that Las Vegas will be coming for sure.
Awesome, that's great. Thank you for all of your help so far. That not only goes to you but to everyone else that has been helping out as well.

A lot of stuff is happening for Salt Fest and a lot of new stuff has been put up on the website recently. Check it out and we still have more stuff to add. This convention is going to be fun for everyone who loves video games regardless if you're competitive or not. www.saltfest.org

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Hey I just noticed this thread lol. Do you guys need me to bring my capture equipment or anything, or does the organization have streaming covered already?

TheBuzzSaw

Premium
BRoomer
Hey I just noticed this thread lol. Do you guys need me to bring my capture equipment or anything, or does the organization have streaming covered already?
I'd bring it anyway. The more streaming the better. At the very least, we wanna record matches for posterity. :p

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
If I remember correctly, I think ASLC said that there will be streaming if his friend with his equipment can make it but he wasn't sure if he was going to be able to.

So if it's not too hard, that might be nice. That way there's at least one setup being streamed, and possibly a second.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Meh. I talked to ASLC about bringing my streaming equipment and he seemed less than enthusiastic, but you could try talking to him.

Top Bottom