• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai to reveal every newcomer before launch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dj.D

Smash Apprentice
I sure hope there are unlockable newcomers that have yet to be revealed. Just looking at the 3DS trailer, there's all kinds of gameplay modes that should keep us busy. Surely, there's going to be more to unlock other than the newcomers we know about, veterans and trophies?

The difficulty slider on the 3DS version shown in the trailer says: "Spend gold to increase difficulty and quality of rewards." What rewards could there be, other than what past Smash Bros. games have given us? More gameplay modes? There's a gameplay mode near the end of the trailer that looks like the Tin Pin Slammer game in The World Ends With You.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Sounds just about likely to me. Sakurai did say that we were getting to the end of newcomers being revealed, and that all their trailers will be shown before launch.

The faster we know about this game's roster, the better. I want to get the inevitable wailing from the Smash fanbase over with.

Calibrate

Smash Apprentice
Hopefully, he doesn't do that as it would be extremely stupid (if he reasoned like that).

"I hate how people shoot other people. Maybe I should shoot everyone first so they can't shoot each other."

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Not the veterans but it looks like all of the newcomers will be revealed before release.

But then in near release of the 3ds version sakurai fails to hide the missing veterans and newcomers before release.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
Something has been lingering in my thoughts since the trailer unveiling Robin, Lucina, and Captain Falcon surfaced this morning. It seems weird to me having two new reps for one existing franchise appear before the launch of the game. It did happen back in Brawl with the Kirby series, but that was 3 reps. The franchises with 4 reps (Mario, Pokemon, and Zelda) had a maximum of 3 reps unlocked from the beginning, and those 3 we knew until after the game launched in Japan. So I thought to myself, is it possible we may get the whole roster before the game launches in Japan in September?

So the thing that made me wonder this (besides having 4 known reps before launch) in the trailer was Falcon himself. In all other trailers, a known starter was showcased. Villager had Bowser and Mario (along with the whole starting cast, if one assumes the whole E3 trailer was the Villager reveal), Rosalina had Mario, Bowser, Peach, and Kirby (there was Luigi, but I will get back to him in a minute), Little Mac had Samus, Palutena had Pit and Link, Greninja had Samus, Link, Olimar, and Mario along with Charizard and Pikachu. Now most of these characters are assumed to be starters based on if they were locked or not in the other 3 games. Robin's trailer had one character, Captain Falcon. He was a starter in Melee, but reverted back to a locked character in Brawl. Why would the trailer only have Falcon? It could mean he is now a starter character like Melee, but I will delve into another reason I've thought of in a bit.

Now we have known about locked characters before, but they have normally been 3rd party additions. Snake and Sonic were the only known secrets before Brawl's release. Everyone else were shown after the game was released in Japan. Now some of these characters were unveiled already. Toon Link, Lucario, Luigi, and Marth, all secret characters in Brawl, but showcased before release now. Luigi was confirmed to show up because of the Year of Luigi ending, so we know he is a secret character. What about the rest? Marth could easily be a starter now, being showcased in the E3 demo, and now with 4 Fire Emblem reps, it makes sense to have Ike and Marth be the starters this time around. Could Lucario and Toon Link be starters as well? Yes, but I think otherwise.

Toon Link does show up in a stage for the 3DS. Now could it be possible he can be unlocked through that stage? Snake was locked but his stage in Brawl was not. Playing on that stage was one of the incentives to unlocking Snake. Could the same be said for Toon Link this time around? Maybe the same could be said for Greninja or Lucario, or maybe even one of the known Mario characters? It seems we know a lot from particular franchises early on in the pic of the days.

As I mentioned before, Falcon was the only veteran showcased. This could mean he is a starter, but it could mean he is assumed to be unlocked by this time in the game. I think this because I have heard the trailers might appear in the game. Maybe Lucina/Robin as well, and the trailer is only shown when all 3 are unlocked. Mind you they might not appear on the game disk, but it seems a waster to not have them, and I do recall seeing the E3 trailer amongst the videos on the Brawl disk.

The last thing I want to point out is what Nintendo did with Mario Kart 8, and what they are doing with Hyrule Warriors. Never before have we known all the characters, starting and secret, before the game released, but they did it with MK8, and are appearing to do it with Hyrule Warriors. With spoilers running rampant on the internet, it's logical to do so. Show us what we can get in game so we want to unlock it, and give us a cool trailer alongside it so we get even more excited.

Which, if my theory is true, could mean we get a new character every week (or close to it) until release. We are a little over 2 months away, and our roster is only at 37, a little short of Brawl's roster, and we expect it to grow ever still. Or we could get a lot of characters in a Nintendo Direct sometime in the next month or 2. I mean, why showcase a trailer outside of a Nintendo Direct anyway? Maybe they are trying to get the full roster out by release in September.

Now I could be completely wrong on this, and I know this is just a theory of mine. But to me it seems weird they chose Falcon and 2 different Fire Emblem reps to showcase today. They could of gone with anybody else, but I find it hard to believe we will have 4 FE reps from the start. One of them has to be secret (maybe just Lucina is), but with the recent trend of games from Nintendo, I wouldn't be surprised if we do end up getting the full roster by release. There are definitely some kinks to think about (like why Game & Watch was shown in the Pac-Man trailer and not put on the website, but Falcon did) but like I said, this is something that's been brewing in my mind today.

I just wanted to share what I thought about the trailer today and I wonder if you guys are thinking the same thing.

Flindigo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1075-0735-7198
The entire roster definitely won't be unveiled before release. A common theme of Smash Bros. is unlocking characters. We'll get a lot of veterans by unlocking, and maybe a few newcomers. Of course, we'll already know about the full roster before it comes out for us due to Japan getting the game sooner, and it'll definitely be known by the time the Wii U version is released.

payasofobia

Smash Champion
You weren't there for the Brawl release.

We knew the entire roster a good week before it released in Japan, and leaks got ridiculously accurate around a month before that.

You seriously underestimate people's ability to get a hold of information they shouldn't have yet.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
At this point, I could see maybe a few characters not being unveiled (maybe the last unlockable characters), but at the very least I can see us getting the early locked characters before release.

Syroco

Smash Apprentice
Brawl's Dojo had the secret characters there for viewing but had "?" as icons. I dont remember if that was before release or not, but it was there on launch day.

payasofobia

Smash Champion
Have you guys ever wondered if Meta Ridley will ever manage to up Ridley in stage 24 at the video?

Look at 1:12. Look in the background. Closely.

See what I mean?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

At this point, I think 90% of the roster will be officially revealed before release. However, it won't effect starter/hidden at all. For example, I can't see all the Fire Emblem characters being starter.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
At this point, I think 90% of the roster will be officially revealed before release. However, it won't effect starter/hidden at all. For example, I can't see all the Fire Emblem characters being starter.
This is exactly what I think. No way Mega Man, Luigi, or Pac-Man will be starters.

I'm just wondering how far they will go, seeing as they did for Mario Kart.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I feel like Sakurai's inane hatred of spoilers (if his reasoning for not doing another SSE is any indication) along with the comment about "nearing the bottom of the barrel" with new character reveal trailers pretty much guarantees they're not leaving many secrets this time.

Allo, Colb~

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
Well hello yourself!

My thoughts exactly. But if we expect a roster of 45-50, I'm seeing either a character a week or a huge bunch unveiled in a direct soon. The 3DS release will hit us faster than we think.

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
Either way, we're only 2 months from the Japanese release. It's just a stone's throw away regardless.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Well hello yourself!

My thoughts exactly. But if we expect a roster of 45-50, I'm seeing either a character a week or a huge bunch unveiled in a direct soon. The 3DS release will hit us faster than we think.
Actually 50+

put these likely guys in

36 +:ness64::jigglypuff64: :falcomelee::ganondorfmelee::icsmelee::gawmelee: And likely:mewtwomelee::lucas::metaknight::rob::wario::wolf: Thats 48 and with shulk and a rythem heaven rep and now ridley and a new dk rep and others that has a good shot thats 50+

(Ps don't even try for lucas, ganondorf, falco, and wolf lucina confirmed clone characters. )

Last edited:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Don't think so. Sakurai specifically said we're nearing the end of the trailers, not characters. It is likely that there are other characters who don't get a trailer.

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
Don't think so. Sakurai specifically said we're nearing the end of the trailers, not characters. It is likely that there are other characters who don't get a trailer.
But it is also likely we get at least one more newcomer trailer before release.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Hmm so newcomers may not have a trailer.

(Not all newcomers shown before release.)

So im sure ridley will get one and i have a feeling mewtwo might be in it since the best for last scenario, but however remember this trailer was shown on a random day not a direct so he could show newcomer trailers outside directs now.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
I can see Sakurai sharing the whole roster pre-release but I do think that we will have some unlockable characters and he won't tell us how to unlock them.

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
I've been saying this for weeks.

I imagine August may see a "Veteran Role-call" and we see a huge amount of Brawl and Melee vets show up. Like the doctor lineup in Day of the Doctor.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Some people do get their copies a few days early at times (if ordered online), so that is when I presume the whole roster would probably be known by then.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
I'm not talking about leaks though. I am talking about the actual site or Nintendo themselves revealing all the characters.

But now it seems like CoroCoro may do just that. There is a rumor of the whole roster being shown in next month's issue.

Last edited:

Vickand

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vickand
Maybe they want to reveal all the secrets before release because with internet everyone will know them anyway, specially with the japanese release 1 month before american release...

MugenLord

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MugenLord
3DS FC
4339-2485-7226
There is a rumor at miiverse that "August 12 next month, at corocoro they will reveal all Stages and all Characters for SSB4 3ds version. We don't know if they will do it for the Wii U."

I dunno, but it could be possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom