• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai talks about the origins of Super Smash Bros in latest Creating Games video

thumbnail.jpg

In his latest Creating Games video, Sakurai discusses the process that went into creating the first Super Smash Bros. game for the Nintendo 64. You can check out the full video below:

Following the launch of Kirby Super Star, Sakurai went to study 3D game development and came up with two prototypes: a four-player free-for-all fighting game, and an RC robot adventure game that involved hacking security cameras. Although both of Sakurai’s prototypes received praise, the rest of Sakurai's team were busy working on other projects such as Mother 3 for the 64DD. Those other projects eventually fell through though, and thus Nintendo needed to release a finished game as soon as they could. The RC adventure game would’ve taken too long, so they opted to work on the fighting game that was initially known as Dragon King: The Fighting Game.

Sakurai then shows off a never-before-seen look at Dragon King. Though it lacked things like special moves and dodges, you can see some concepts that would remain in Smash such as aerial moves and platforms you can jump through.

Sakurai states that while Smash is often seen as an antithesis to fighting games (a claim he himself has echoed in the past), it is not a rejection of the genre. The core component of fighting games in which you defeat an opponent by stringing together several attacks was still there in Dragon King. One new element Sakurai wanted to introduce however was the accumulated damage system, as this would allow for more improvised scenarios for both players and would rely less on mastering a difficult button input. Though this was aimed for players not familiar with more advanced combos, Sakurai states later in the video that he tried to appeal to more traditional fighting game players through other means. One example was with the Smash Bros. DOJO!! website which had tips and strategies for the game.

A big issue with Dragon King came with the fact that it introduced a bunch of main characters at once, which meant people probably wouldn’t care much about them. Other fighters such as Street Fighter bring in a bunch of main characters at once as well, however those were arcade titles which had the advantage of people watching others play in a public setting and thus becoming slowly hooked onto a specific character. This was not the same for home release fighters such as Dragon King. To fix this issue, Sakurai and his dev team contacted Nintendo and asked them to use their iconic characters so players would already be familiar with most of the cast. Nintendo’s reaction to the game after it was finished was mixed; developers of games loved it, however the sales team rejected the idea of having Nintendo characters beat each other up. The opinion of the latter seemingly changed once they had played the game.

Sakurai ends the video with the following quote:
”As anyone who’s toyed around with the various rules in Smash bros. knows, the game is very flexible in how it lets you play. You can turn items on and have a chaotic four-player battle on a random stage, or have a white-knuckle 1-on-1 bouth with items turned off. This philosophy - of playing what you want, how you want - was, to an extent, established here in the first Smash title.”
You can check out all of Sakurai’s Creating Games videos here. He plans to cover the origins of Super Smash Bros. Melee next in his Game Concepts category.

Credits
Writing/Editing:
Sari Sari
Social Media: @Zerp

Author’s Note: That RC robot game idea seemed pretty cool, shame it never saw the light of day. Anyway what did you think about Sakurai's video? Let us know in the comments below!

Last edited:
Sari

Comments

that was a good watch, i do like learning about unused concepts and unmade games. we knew about the dragon king but that RC one was new. (well to me at least) i do like that he acknowledged the overly complex combos traditional fighters have as that's one of the things that put me off them. although now we have four character who brought with them their complex button combos.

I feel like ArcSys solved the problem of being trapped in combos being a waiting game with the Burst mechanic, that way there's actual strategy and counterplay to being trapped in a combo rather than just waiting it out.

I know Smash has DI and SDI, but those mechanics are rather obscure and not even explained in-game.

I find it funny how the first example he gives of complicated inputs is the infamous Pretzel motion from Fatal Fury/KOF.

(in both cases, it's the bottom one)

In a way, Geese Howard helped to make Smash Bros. so accessible. (by having his super moves be utterly ridiculous to pull off that Sakurai decided to make something much, much simpler)

Also, how long until someone makes a fighting game based on this line-up?

Last edited:
I find it funny how the first example he gives of complicated inputs is the infamous Pretzel motion from Fatal Fury/KOF.

(in both cases, it's the bottom one)

In a way, Geese Howard helped to make Smash Bros. so accessible. (by having his super moves be utterly ridiculous to pull off that Sakurai decided to make something much, much simpler)

Also, how long until someone makes a fighting game based on this line-up?

however long it takes me to recruit a dev studio

I love how Sakurai feels the same way I do about traditional fighting games, in that it's no fun to try those kinds of games out with someone, only to be instantly stuck in a touch-of-death combo. And that command inputs feel overly complicated and unintuitive to try to learn and use. No shade meant towards anyone who enjoys those kinds of games, but those are the things that instantly suck the fun out of them for me. Kudos to Sakurai for making a fighting game that is much more accessible and freeform! And for people who like using command inputs, now there are four characters who replicate that style of play :)

A great watch all around. A fascinating look into the game that started it all, this series, this community, and this very website.

Last edited:
I'm really looking forward for the next episode since it would be Sakurai talking about Melee, I'm really excited I hope Mr.Sakurai would say something in the regards of the competitive scene, the hope is that this time he would say something nice =)

I provided some heavy input about Kid Icarus Uprising checking Combos and Unconditional Flinching (both capitalized for reasons) here:
I hope you guys enjoy.

Top Bottom