Shortly following Sora's release in Ultimate, Sakurai has provided his thoughts and other insight on the popular character's inclusion via the latest issue of Famitsu. Source Gaming founder and ex-owner PushDustin has provided a translation of the column.
This is the summary of Sakurai's Column 639, “The Final One”. Sakurai discusses Sora’s inclusion in Smash Ultimate. @KodyNOKOLO is joining me with this translation and will be posting the second half. Please make sure to follow both of us for the full details! pic.twitter.com/GyBRbKOvUf— PushDustIn (@PushDustIn) October 20, 2021
The main highlights from the column:
- Sora was indeed the #1 most requested character on the Smash ballot, Sakurai reiterates. Banjo also placed highly too, which was quite surprising from a Japanese perspective.
- Sakurai didn't think it'd be possible to get Sora into Smash. However, that changed after a chance encounter with a Disney representative at an award show. This eventually led to more talks with higher-ups and Sora was then added to Fighters Pass 2.
- Fighters Pass 2 was originally going to consist of 5 characters rather than 6.
- Sora was supervised by both Disney and Square Enix. As such, there were many guidelines that had to be followed.
- Sora's playstyle in Smash utilizes aerial combat and well-timed attacks.
- The development time for DLC was essentially the same as if they were making an entirely new game.
- Sakurai feels that he will only work on a few more games in the future.
- Sakurai feels that he was able to offer a celebration of gaming through Ultimate.
- The next Sakurai column for Famitsu will be his final one, putting an end to his 18 year time making pieces for the popular magazine.
Social Media: @Zerp
Special Thanks: PushDustin and Kody NOKOLO for translating Sakurai's column
Author's Note: What do you think of Sakurai's recent comments? Let us know in the comments below!