• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai talks about making gimmicks in the next Smash Bros. as well as rebooting the series in this interview

Status
Not open for further replies.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
IGN News said:
In what may come in a great surprise to Super Smash Brothers fans out there, the director of the series, Super Smash Brothers, whose name is Masahiro Sakurai, is considering making a gimmick to include in the next Smash Brothers game. At this time, we do not know what it will be or how it will function, but the director of Smash Brothers says he is very interested in trying something new, despite that the games of the series have always been fun already to the many fans who have played each game of the series.

"I just think it is time to do something new..." The director of the series said in an interview today. "Five games; six if you could Super Smash Brothers for Wii U and 3DS separately, have been made so far in the series, and while may would argue that the games are fine as they are, I am beginning to think that at this point, the series could go stale the way things are now. I am not completely sure if I want to try to add something to Smash Brothers something to spice things up, but I think at this point, it is necessary to do something along those lines."

The well received series is best known for its mutliplayer aspect of all things. The series has also mostly remained the same for years now, and not many people have complained about the series getting stale. It is also important to consider that there is often a long time gap; namely a number of years between games, which may be more than enough time to make it so the series getting stale is not a problem. A reason for this gimmick possibly happening, though, is because Sakurai thinks that is necessary to avoid a reboot of the series.

"I fear that if I do not do something new, I would have to reboot the series, starting with Nintendo characters only with such a reboot..." Masahiro Sakurai told IGN news in the same interview. "Plenty of companies have done reboots when they have run out of ideas or needed to start fresh. I honestly do not want to start fresh by doing a reboot and doing a complete do-over of the series. I want to keep going with the series the way it is as long as I can. On the bright side, with Super Smash Bros. mostly being the same over the years, I think there is more than enough ideas to possibly go with for a gimmick."

So what gimmick could it be? Also, if Masahiro Sakurai goes with the idea of a gimmick, would it be enough to make fans happy if it is done right? In the past, there have been gimmicks that did not work out for certain game series, but as long as it fits with how Super Smash Bros. plays, it is reasonable to assume it could be a good way to make the game more fun. It could also be assumed that Sakurai can make such a gimmick successfully, given how he has made games in the famed series so well before. It seems unnecessary to add a gimmick to Super Smash Brothers at this rate, but if Sakurai thinks it is necessary to avoid a reboot, then more power to him.

We'll keep you updated on if Sakurai wants to go with a gimmick in the next Super Smash Brothers game or not.
Source (From IGN).

FazDude

Smash Master
Not entirely sure how to feel about this one. On one hand, Smash could benefit from a small shakeup from a design perspective, but on the other, I don’t want it to feel forced. Guess we’ll see in a couple of years.

for once in my life i am grateful for youtube ads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom