• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai: "...So I'm kind of hoping you aren't expecting too many new challengers"

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
So near the end of the E3 launch, Sakurai said:

"We've made including every single fighter ever our number one goal, so I'm kind of hoping you aren't expecting too many new challengers"

So do you think we'll only get a handful of other newcomers MAYBE not including DLC or what?

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
I'm Hoping for these characters:
A. Shovel Knight
B. Isaac from Golden Sun
C. Banjo & Kazooie
D. Spring Man & Ribbon Girl(Including some Springtron Alts)
E. Decidueye
F. Bandana Waddle Dee
G. Linkle

Gabcard

Smash Rookie
I expect about 5 newcomers in the base game, Inkling and Ridley included, not counting echo characters.
But I also think he is referring only to the base game, and new characters will come in DLC. This seems like the best way.

Astraltar

Smash Apprentice
I was hoping we'd get a selection screen of about 15 x 5, which would make 74 characters (and one random spot). So it does bum me out to hear that he said that.

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I feel like 8-10 is good with Wii U/Switch reps, Gen 7 mon, and ballot choices.

BlazGreen

Smash Journeyman
I'm expecting half of the amount Smash 4 had at launch so about 6 or 7.

Inklings
Ridley
Simon Belmont
K.Rool
Decidueye
Ashley
Rayman

Rex & Pyra, Springman, Geno, Fire Emblem 8 lord, a Kirby character and a third party character are my guesses for DLC.

KatKit

Smash Lord
I'm guessing that we'll get 12 newcomers total, including echoes. DLC might add a few more over time.

Although I'm very content with the current roster revealed so far.

Last edited:

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
I find it very hard to believe that this game wouldn't get DLC.

There'll probably be 5 or so more unique newcomers in the base game and then DLC kicks in next year.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'm thinking, including Echos, in the base roster there'll be 6 brand new characters max. Shooting low but it's what I see happening.
From a certain point of view, we've already got 10 more fighters than 3DS/WiiU had.

DLC. if happening, will focus on entirely new characters

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Technically Sakurai always says that. I'm expecting about the same as I always have--about 8-10 newcomers. If no new characters are revealed during E3, I'll revise my speculation down, but I think one will because of the amiibo stands they showed with four stands, two of them empty. One probably Daisy, and the other I think is a new unannounced character being revealed in the next couple days.

Still quite confident in K. Rool.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
I expect about 5 newcomers in the base game, Inkling and Ridley included, not counting echo characters.
But I also think he is referring only to the base game, and new characters will come in DLC. This seems like the best way.
My thoughts exactly. I think the base roster will include a smaller amount of newcomers than normal, but the game will be supported for a while, maybe even a few years, with more fighters and other things.

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
I was pretty disheartened from what he said. Though the roster is still huge and impressive

I’m going to say at maximum we’ll get 10 (but possibly less) newcomers. So, counting Inkling, Ridley and Daisy. We will get at most, 7 more

That’s for the base roster at least. There will no doubt be DLC

Last edited:

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
It could theoretically be possible that some ATs might get the DLC treatment and become playable fighters, but that seems unlikely

Last edited:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I'm thinking we'll probably get 6-8 newcomers, not including DLC.

Sidenote: I half think that, seeing as a new third party character was not shown with the game's reveal (as past smash games have done), and the prevalence of third-parties in smash 4's DLC, perhaps there will be no new 3rd parties in the base game, and any third party newcomers will be DLC.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm thinking Geno's gonna get it in. If there is few characters it's gonna go to characters that are big.

With Ridley in, Geno would definitely fit that role

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
Given both the timetable and the amount effort spent bringing everyone else back, I do feel like we'll have fewer newcomers around. And seeing the number of people who judge Smash games almost wholly on its newcomers, that could potentially sting.

Given Ridley's overdue inclusion, though, I feel like Sakurai's going to make these newcomers count, so hopefully, quality over quantity.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I'm not convinced we'll even get dlc this time around. Something about the "Ultimate" title makes me think it'll be all there on day one. There's a part of me telling me to expect 2-3 more newcomers and no more.

I feel like Sakurai's insistence on bringing back every fighter makes the future of Smash kind of confusing though. Where can the series really go from here?

Newcomers are such a central part to Smash Bros (in my eyes) that it's hard to envision compelling sequels that only come with a small handful of them. Improvements to gameplay are great and all.....but I feel like all Smash games have had great gameplay, so it's not a significant pull to buy a new game just because it has new techniques. (you can tell I'm not a competitive player :p)

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
With Sakurai, it's hard to truly say. He did say not to expect too many newcomers back when Smash 4 got announced, yet it had roughly the amount its predecessors had in the base release alone.

That said...considering the dev time spent on the returning veterans and stages, I do think we won't see as many, though probably more than the pessimists are thinking since Ultimate does seem to be built on top of Smash 4 and so they didn't have to code a new engine or the like. I'm leaning toward 8 newcomers, not counting echo fighters, for the base release.

Though I'm pretty confident we'll see extensive DLC after that.

Last edited:

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
Ultimate does seem to be built on top of Smash 4 and so they didn't have to code a new engine or the like.
DIdn't we find out before (from a tweet that was quickly hushed up by Nintendo) that it was running on a unique engine?

If we're really doing estimates, then mine is that we'll see 5-7 non-Echo newcomers in total - but that they'll really count.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I like to be conservative with guesses, so I'd wager that more than 7 total unique movesets would be pushing it - based on the numbering system that would take us up to 70 anyway. I can see a few echoes being added easily, so that may not count too much against the time.

I'd also expect a few DLC characters as well eventually.

Still, this is shaping up to be the best Smash game, and we still barely know anything about it.

DreamcastBoy99

Smash Cadet
NNID
DreamcastBoy99
3DS FC
1220-8501-2461
I’m not going to expect too many new characters either...but as long as I get Simon or Incineroar i think i’m good.
I’m disappointed that Bomberman is only an AT though.

TriMaxTime

Smash Cadet
Body? Chicago; Mind? Somewhere off in the distance
NNID
WiiUMax
3DS FC
0602-6382-0071
Switch FC
2417-1622-0716
I second the notion that given Ridley’s announcement over someone like Spring Man at E3 means that the newcomers are probably focused on giving people characters they want. So I wouldn’t be surprised in the slightest if we got K. Rool, Geno, and Shadow as a Sonic Echo as newcomers. Heck, given the outpouring of love and sorrow Waluigi has gotten on the Internet, I wouldn’t be surprised if Sakurai changes his mind and decides Waluigi should be a DLC character.

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
I think we're getting no more than 6 newcomers aside from Inkling and Ridley (Daisy and other echoes are a separate matter)
That's less than Brawl or 4 had so I think it's reasonable

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Give me;

King K.Rool
Isaac - who's a pipe dream at this point =(
Impa as a Echo Fighter
Dixie as a semi-clone or Funky as a Echo

And honestly, I'd be 100% satisfied.

By the way, there will OF COURSE be DLC. It would be wasted money if they didn't. Kinda expecting FE16 Lord / My Unit (IF they are unique enough), a new 3rd party that'll blow away brain parts of the universe's inhabitants like Banjo-Kazooie, and something that nobody expects.

StormC

Smash Hero
I'm thinking 3-5 more non-echo newcomers. That brings the total roster to about 70. There's a lot of time until December and I expect all unlockables to be shown but we could have some periods of drought like we did with DLC. Of course DLC is likely, but we have no idea what shape it will take. I also agree that with the precedent set by Inkling and Ridley, I expect each newcomer to be a big deal instead of "quirky" or promotional characters. Never thought I'd say this regarding Smash, but I think Geno has a good chance at the moment.

Good thing is all veterans are accounted for so it's nothing but newcomers from here on out.

Last edited:

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Sakurai has said this every game, and we still get a crapton of newcomers.

Here's the stats:

Melee had 14 newcomer and 0 missing veterans
Brawl had 18 newcomers and 5 missing veterans
Smash 4 had 17 newcomers 10 missing veterans at launch
Smash 4 with DLC 21 newcomers and 7 missing veterans with DLC (4 newcomers and 3 missing veterans added via DLC)

Ultimate right now has 3 newcomers confirmed (the official website lists 1 more character in the about section [in every language] than we have so at least 1 more is guaranteed) and 0 missing veterans.

While I think the 14-17 newcomer amount before launch is insane to expect and you have to be an absolute madman to expect that, I think expecting 5 more newcomers in addition to the 3 we have tops pre-DLC sounds reasonable.

We could get more, but like... no one should expect that. Yes 75 as a total character number sounds sexy and we are at 68 now, but like... damn.

We just got 68 characters officially confirmed and showcased yesterday.

Y'all need to chill!!! :laugh:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I'm not sure why people are calling 5 newcomers. That's very, very few. Like, I'm not sure how many people are really thinking about how little that is. Even counting echo fighters separately, that's unprecedented levels of small.

Inklings
Ridley
Mario Character(Captain Toad?)
Bandana Dee

*Simon Belmont

*Not confirmed, but very likely if Vergeben didn't just get a lucky guess.

I'm expecting something more along the lines of:

Inklings
Ridley
Captain Toad
Donkey Kong Newcomer (Dixie or K. Rool?)
Impa (Sheik Echo?)
Bandana Dee
Isabelle (Villager Echo??)
Elma

Simon Belmont
Rayman

Which is 8-10 total unique characters.

With some potential echos being:
Funky Kong
Impa
Dark Samus
Chrom
Galacta Knight
Isabelle
Rex (Shulk Echo) (I know it would make people upset, but it's definitely possible)
Ms. Pac-Man
Trevor Belmont
Raiden?
Shadow
Ken
Jeanne

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
If we take all the characters we know right now, group echo characters together along with PT and Miis, and throw in a random button, we have a perfect 8x8 square. Also a shoutout to the original being on the 64. I don’t know if that mean something or not.

It could be controversial to say, but I wouldn’t mind just a bunch more echo fighters at this point. The roster’s so huge already.

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
Here's a list of newcomers I like:
* Inklings
* Ridley
* Daisy
* Dixie Kong
* Spring Man
* Decidueye

Any more than 6 seems like too much, to be honest. And of course, Sakurai has a tendency to throw curveballs. Tons of them. We're all just along for the ride, so I wouldn't be surprised if we got something crazy.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I should note that I do think we'll get a lot of Echo Fighters this time.

I can easily see Funky (in addition to K. Rool and Dixie), Dark Samus (because the Dark Samus alt is missing now), Impa (of Sheik; using Impa's design from Skyward Sword and a couple moves from there), Shadow (Chaos Blast Final Smash and Chaos Control Up+B that is basically just Farore's Wind, otherwise he's Sonic), maybe Chrom (of Ike, though I really don't expect him), Pico or Black Shadow (for Captain Falcon), and if we manage to get Isaac, I can easily see Felix as well.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Sakurai has said this every game, and we still get a crapton of newcomers.

Here's the stats:

Melee had 14 newcomer and 0 missing veterans
Brawl had 18 newcomers and 5 missing veterans
Smash 4 had 17 newcomers 10 missing veterans at launch
Smash 4 with DLC 21 newcomers and 7 missing veterans with DLC (4 newcomers and 3 missing veterans added via DLC)

Ultimate right now has 3 newcomers confirmed (the official website lists 1 more character in the about section [in every language] than we have so at least 1 more is guaranteed) and 0 missing veterans.

While I think the 14-17 newcomer amount before launch is insane to expect and you have to be an absolute madman to expect that, I think expecting 5 more newcomers in addition to the 3 we have tops pre-DLC sounds reasonable.

We could get more, but like... no one should expect that. Yes 75 as a total character number sounds sexy and we are at 68 now, but like... damn.

We just got 68 characters officially confirmed and showcased yesterday.

Y'all need to chill!!! :laugh:
I think it may also do to split up the non clone newcomers and the clone newcomers to may be get a better idea on the estimate. I think we might probably get more clones (or echo fighters) for this game to make up for the lack of newcomers we will be getting this time around. (For the base roster at least)

I think we might end up getting something along the lines of Melee's lineup. I believe that game had about 8 unique newcomers and 6 clone/echo newcomers.

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Gonna say this now.

Expect a ratio similar to Melee. As in 6-10 completely newcomers and 4-8 echo fighters.

Especially since echo fighters have less fanfare and are easier to make.

Last edited:

John Dylan Smith

Banned via Warnings
West Chester Township, Butler County, Ohio
I was pretty disheartened from what he said. Though the roster is still huge and impressive

I’m going to say at maximum we’ll get 10 (but possibly less) newcomers. So, counting Inkling, Ridley and Daisy. We will get at most, 7 more

That’s for the base roster at least. There will no doubt be DLC
Well Mr. S never said anything about us not getting anymore newcomers after Ridley or the E3 annoucement (Some newcomers still could be unlock-able on disk content)!

And keep this in mind! You almost can never trust anything Sakurai says (He said Ridley was too huge to be put in Smash, but Ridley ultimately got in Smash 5, during the development of Smash 4, he said DLC was done with after Mewtwo was completed, but more DLC came after Mewtwo's release)!

Last edited:

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
I second the notion that given Ridley’s announcement over someone like Spring Man at E3 means that the newcomers are probably focused on giving people characters they want. So I wouldn’t be surprised in the slightest if we got K. Rool, Geno, and Shadow as a Sonic Echo as newcomers. Heck, given the outpouring of love and sorrow Waluigi has gotten on the Internet, I wouldn’t be surprised if Sakurai changes his mind and decides Waluigi should be a DLC character.
Not likely; Since Waluigi's already an Assist Trophy(Again) and Sakurai has made it CLEAR several Times that he has NO Intentions of putting Waluigi in Smash as a Playable Character; He's a Lost Cause(The Only reason that he was even MADE was to be an Evil Counterpart to Luigi in Mario Tennis 64 or Wario's Tennis Partner)

Gallerian

Smash Apprentice
When it comes to newcomers, I would like to see another villain or two added in to the roster. We got Ridley which is absolutely amazing, but I would also like to see either Hades, Medusa, or K. Rool.
Of course, with how Legend of Zelda is being handled this time around, I think one more character would be great. One to represent Skyward Sword. With Ghirahim confirmed as Assist Trophy, the honor should go to Impa, as she's the most recurring Zelda character not in Smash. I wouldn't even care if she's an Echo Fighter of Sheik.

Top Bottom