• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai: 'Smash' For The Switch Will Be Entirely DLC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masahiro Sakurai, creator of the Super Smash Bros. series, has announced publicly today that Smash for Switch - the newest iteration of the game - will be entirely DLC, or downloadable content. That’s not to say that there isn’t a disk for the game, but it’s just that in order to actually play it you’ll now have to pay a considerable amount extra.

“Players won’t be able to bypass the title screen without paying sufficient funds," Sakurai told Smashboards in an interview he agreed to do for some reason.

Stages, items, soundtracks, trophies, sound FX’s and even a date/time widget, Sakurai says, are all only available as DLC. But perhaps the most impressive change is the “absence of the whole character roster” from the disk itself, with Nintendo opting instead to adopt an entirely DLC system for its playable characters.

Sakurai told us that “removing all of the characters from the game disk” freed up space that the team could then use to “add in specialized in-game messages” asking the user to buy DLC characters.

Smash for Switch’s new multiplayer system will require the user to buy 3 separate DLC packages: the For Glory Bundle Unlocked Unlocker, the For Glory Bundle Unlocked, and finally the actual For Glory Bundle, which in fact the user has only a 25℅ chance of gaining access to multiplayer before otherwise having to buy all 3 Bundle's again.

Additional steps Nintendo is taking to create an unrivaled fan experience is their new and improved Gamecube adapters, which Sakurai says will revolutionize the gaming industry. The adapters, which require the user to insert a 25¢ fee before usage, “appeal to the retro gamer inside all of us," according to Sakurai.

The aforementioned ingenious controller adapter

But why even change the adapter at all? What about the other countries that don’t even use US currency? These are probably questions that most of us have, and Sakurai was quick to answer them.

“We felt like this was the change that Smash needed. A quirky way to play your favorite game [while giving us your money]," he said. “As for non-US countries, we will be offering a palpable DLC in which the customer can order US quarters.”

Sakurai concluded by telling us that he is excited to tell us that all of the extra charges in the form of DLC and coin slots are “vital to the integrity [of Smash]” and that they are “well worth the cumulative price of $250”. Time will tell if Nintendo’s new ambitious business model bears any fruit, but people will probably buy into it anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
William "Wncozens" Cozens

Comments

Status
Please don't make bull**** fake news articles like this. If this sort of thing keeps happening, I will stop visiting this site.

Please don't make bull**** fake news articles like this. If this sort of thing keeps happening, I will stop visiting this site.
These are posted only once a week. Plently of others like them. Feel free to stop visiting if you don't like them.

Holy ****. Smash is coming to the Switch?!?! When did they announce this?? First Skyrim! And now this?

I hope they add Ridley, Captain Toad, Inkling, Geno; Krystal, Rahman, Sceptile, Lana, Professor Layton, Wolf, Isaac, and more!

That's pretty awesome though. But is it gonna be Super Smash Bros. Switch.

✌︎('ω'✌︎ )

These are posted only once a week. Plently of others like them. Feel free to stop visiting if you don't like them.
Well I don't read the articles here, I just come to see if there is anything going on with smash64. Unlike most of you, I had no idea about these apparently "satire" news articles. But I'll stop coming here since you suggested it. I actually believed this was real, not that it'd benefit me at all. I just find it repulsive you'd tell people to leave because they're upset the site is spreading false information as "news". How about keeping this to a thread and not putting it on the front page....

Well either way I'll take your advice and stop visiting smashboards. It's been dead for years anyways. Bye!

Well I don't read the articles here, I just come to see if there is anything going on with smash64. Unlike most of you, I had no idea about these apparently "satire" news articles. But I'll stop coming here since you suggested it. I actually believed this was real, not that it'd benefit me at all. I just find it repulsive you'd tell people to leave because they're upset the site is spreading false information as "news". How about keeping this to a thread and not putting it on the front page....

Well either way I'll take your advice and stop visiting smashboards. It's been dead for years anyways. Bye!
I'm not telling anyone to leave. I said if you don't like my content, I'm not going to list out all of the reasons why you should. It's your prerogative to leave if you don't like something, I don't need to tell you that.

I'm not telling anyone to leave. I said if you don't like my content, I'm not going to list out all of the reasons why you should. It's your prerogative to leave if you don't like something, I don't need to tell you that.
I don't care about your reasons why I should like your content, it's false information covered up as a news article. If you want to do this kind of thing go over to the Onion, don't post it on the front page of smashboards. Or at least say it's a prank....

Also why does it matter if I have a right to not post on this site? That's an irrelevant conclusion. I'm going to stop visiting this site on the basis it spreads false information as news articles. Then you tell someone:
Which reinforces my reasoning for no longer visiting smashboards. I don't know if you know this but Smashboards has been losing traffic over the past 6 months. What you've just did here is contributing to that loss of revenue for the site. I only came back because I knew you would quote me and I felt the need to bring this to your attention.

With all of that said, I hope you have a fabulous day, and I suggest you refrain from telling others to leave the site because they're upset with your fake news article being plastered on the front page.

I don't care about your reasons why I should like your content, it's false information covered up as a news article. If you want to do this kind of thing go over to the Onion, don't post it on the front page of smashboards. Or at least say it's a prank....

Also why does it matter if I have a right to not post on this site? That's an irrelevant conclusion. I'm going to stop visiting this site on the basis it spreads false information as news articles. Then you tell someone:

Which reinforces my reasoning for no longer visiting smashboards. I don't know if you know this but Smashboards has been losing traffic over the past 6 months. What you've just did here is contributing to that loss of revenue for the site. I only came back because I knew you would quote me and I felt the need to bring this to your attention.

With all of that said, I hope you have a fabulous day, and I suggest you refrain from telling others to leave the site because they're upset with your fake news article being plastered on the front page.
These have actually bolstered site traffic. Have a nice day man

Last edited:
These have actually bolstered site traffic. Have a nice day man
Well according to actual statistics and readings of the site, that doesn't appear to be the case.

https://www.similarweb.com/website/smashboards.com

Unless your fake news stories have hit google searches, which would be irrelevant to what smashboards is about, then I don't see how it "bolstered" any traffic.

Please do not lie for the sake of your argument. The site has dwindled in numbers, you're telling people if they don't like your fake news stories then they can just leave. You're hurting the site, your post needs to be removed, and you need to be removed from the writing team or whatever it is you do.

Just my two cents.

Edit: If you do intend on making false articles, at least put somewhere it's fake.

Edit2: To clarify, when you are making a thread about information on a product, you should make some sort of notification stating it's a false article. It's alright to make satire posts, as long as they are not directly related to the sells of a product.

For example, your post about a guy explaining Z canceling to his doctor on how he hurt his wrist. That was alright and did not need any notification of it being false because it was humor and not directly relating to the sells of a product.

I can't really make you do anything, but if you can't see why someone would be upset over the latter then you shouldn't be writing these sort of things.

Last edited:
So...It's basically Street Fighter 5.
btw,since we're on the topic,some speculate smash 4 might be coming to the switch,6 months after release. Still a rumor,yet to be confirmed,take it with a grain of salt. Toughts?

Last edited:
So now I will never trust any article posted on saturday. Seriously, couldn't you put a "Comedy Corner" or "Satire" notice SOMEWHERE? Come on, guys. This is pathetic.

Well according to actual statistics and readings of the site, that doesn't appear to be the case.

https://www.similarweb.com/website/smashboards.com

Unless your fake news stories have hit google searches, which would be irrelevant to what smashboards is about, then I don't see how it "bolstered" any traffic.

Please do not lie for the sake of your argument. The site has dwindled in numbers, you're telling people if they don't like your fake news stories then they can just leave. You're hurting the site, your post needs to be removed, and you need to be removed from the writing team or whatever it is you do.

Just my two cents.

Edit: If you do intend on making false articles, at least put somewhere it's fake.

Edit2: To clarify, when you are making a thread about information on a product, you should make some sort of notification stating it's a false article. It's alright to make satire posts, as long as they are not directly related to the sells of a product.

For example, your post about a guy explaining Z canceling to his doctor on how he hurt his wrist. That was alright and did not need any notification of it being false because it was humor and not directly relating to the sells of a product.

I can't really make you do anything, but if you can't see why someone would be upset over the latter then you shouldn't be writing these sort of things.
**** man, you're right. I'll leave the team now

you should make some sort of notification stating it's a false article
Before even clicking on the article to read, the description states:

"Welcoming another addition of Comedy Corner, in where Sakurai gives us insight into the latest Smash."

It is very obvious that this article was meant to be on the humorous side.

"Welcoming another addition of Comedy Corner, in where Sakurai gives us insight into the latest Smash."

I honestly don't see it anywhere.

Smashboards might say it. Reddit doesn't.

They should've had it say Comedy Corner in the title to clear up confusion. I mean I personally thought it was just a comedy corner article the moment I saw it but still.

I can see where those who aren't pleased are coming from. The title gives no sign that it's a joke and while the blurb below it does, it's smaller, in a less eye-catching colour and isn't a link so your eyes and mouse/finger aren't drawn to it like the title. Plus, the Switch and a Switch Sm4sh port are on a lot of people's minds. Smashboards front page articles have covered Switch related news before too.

When I first saw the title, I was reloading the page to log back in so I only caught a glimpse of it. Once I logged back in and saw the blurb, I was like 'oh...that again'. Went from excited about Switch news to not. I'm not against Comedy Corner, it's not anything I'm interested in but it's a fine concept but the negative reactions to this one aren't unnecessary nor did they seem needlessly rude. No one telling the writer to go eff themself or anything like that.

This is Sakurais chance to leave his human form and become a god. I would love to pay 99.99 dollars for one character.

Last edited:
View attachment 120982

Good for them? This isn't Reddit.

I'm assuming most people who are mad just read the title and then nothing else. If you can't tell it's satire I don't know what to say to you.
No, this isn't reddit. But there are a large number of people being directed here from the reddit link. And given the fact that every other article previously has included Comedy Corner in the title, this is a break from tradition at a rather inopportune time as speculation about the Switch continues to pour out from all corners of the internet. Not including the notice is in bad form.

Status
Top Bottom