• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai presents Steve and Alex for Fighters Pass 2

Steve_Alex_and_mobs2.jpg

On Monday, Sakurai pulled out another trick from his sleeve by revealing Steve and Alex from Minecraft as the second fighter in the second Fighters Pass for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, much to the shock of Twitter. However his presentation wasn’t held until two days later on Wednesday as to coincide with Minecraft Live occurring on the same day. This presentation once again took place from his home. Sakurai revealed that the presentation was prepared in August, and discussed some of the difficulties he had with preparing the presentation, and that there may be differences from his demonstration and the final product.

Just like the other DLC fighters, Steve and Alex play in an extremely unique fashion that would not be suitable for any other fighting game, but this zaniness fits right into Super Smash Bros. The character truly takes from their source game of Minecraft by having a key element to their gameplay involving both parts of their namesake; mining and crafting. Steve and Alex’s neutral special move is what allows this to happen, as they can mine the stage for resources (the stage is not destroyed however). They can then summon a crafting table to utilize their inventory and upgrade their tools, which increases the power of their moves.

The stage that Steve and Alex are introduced with is the aptly named Minecraft World. The environment cycles between 6 biomes, and each area has trees and other various structures that can be destroyed by players and opponents one block at a time.

It is also worth mentioning that while developing Steve and Alex, the development team had to rework all of the previous stages to make it possible to place blocks evenly on them. They also had to assess all of the previous stages to determine what resources they would give when mined. Now, all of the terrain in every stage has a designated drop, whether it's dirt, wood, stone, iron, or a miscellaneous surface.

While Sakurai was unable to bring in any music from the original Minecraft music catalog, they were able to create remixes and remasters of songs from the spin-off Minecraft games, choosing Minecraft Earth and Minecraft Dungeons in particular. The list of music tracks is as follows, with asterisks denoting remixes:

• *Halland / Dalarna
  • *Earth
  • Clockwork Crafter
  • *Toys on a Tear
  • *Dance of the Blocks
  • *Glide
  • *The Arch-Illager

Finally, there are 6 new Mii Fighter costumes that are available for purchase. The selection this time around is:

• Creeper (Brawler, from Minecraft)
  • Pig (Brawler, from Minecraft)
  • Diamond Armor (Swordfighter, from Minecraft)
  • Gil (Swordfighter, from The Tower of Druaga)
  • Bomberman (Brawler, from Bomberman)
  • Travis (Swordfighter, from Travis / No More Heroes)

Steve and Alex, as well as the rest of the Minecraft content discussed in the presentation, are going to be available starting on October 13th from $5.99 USD.

Credits
Editing: @Zerp
Graphics: @Zerp

Last edited:
UtopianPoyzin

Comments

So I guess this means no Bomberman or Travis Touchdown as playable fighters? (I know Bomberman is an Assist Trophy, but they could have easily included his modern design as a playable character.) Though this doesn't 100% exclude them of course.

So I guess this means no Bomberman or Travis Touchdown as playable fighters? (I know Bomberman is an Assist Trophy, but they could have easily included his modern design as a playable character.) Though this doesn't 100% exclude them of course.
Yeah i wish he was his own character too, but Im happy atleast we get something closer than just assist trophy on the bright side. Maybe next game we'll finally play as him.

Reactions: xzx
The Bomberman Mii costume looks great though. Yeah, I woulda liked to hear Bomberman announced and the moveset incorporate bombs, but I don’t think Mii Brawler is that bad of a fit. I’ll probably make a few.

I was kinda hoping to see Travis as a playable character but I guess there’s always next Smash game, if or when that happens.

Steve and Alex look crazy unique with crazy edgeguard potential. Say what you will about the character themselves but you can’t deny this is a crazy interesting moveset.

October 13th, huh? Well, I was kinda hoping for later today, but it’s better than no time soon at all. Might as well delay the inevitable Switch server problems anyway

I love they are doing new things...

But are we worried these characters will be “run away” characters since they have to go collect items?

Top Bottom