It’s been 13 days since Kazuya was announced on June 15th, 2021, and now his presentation has finally aired!
The presentation starts off with Sakurai introducing Tekken and going over the fundamental differences between Tekken and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. He further explains that he wanted to add a Tekken character to Smash, but that it would feel incomplete given the differences. That is, until he had an idea. This idea was to use Kazuya’s Devil Gene powers for his special attacks, midair jumps and smashes while basing Kazuya’s normals off his Tekken moveset. Notably, this idea to use the Devil Gene is the main reason Kazuya was picked over Heihachi, as he lacks the gene. Sakurai then goes over his special moves.
- Devil Blaster, an angle-able long range projectile that can hit multiple opponents at once.
- Devil Fist, a quick burst attack, if you hit opponents from afar or in the air they’ll be knocked away, however if you hit opponents up close they’ll be stunned.
- Devil Wings, a recovery move where Kazuya spreads his wings and flies up. It also has a hitbox at the beginning.
- Heaven’s Door, a command grab with super armor where Kazuya grabs the opponent, flies up and then slams down into the earth, which can also be used for suicide kills.
Sakurai then proceeds to talk about his special character traits. Kazuya is a slow, powerful character with Tough Guy armor and an automatic turnaround function. Kazuya also has a massive arsenal of moves, many of which use unique command inputs. Some examples include the 10 hit combo, which merely requires the attack button to be pressed ten times, Jump Side Kick, which requires the player to press diagonal-up backwards and attack, and Gates of Hell, which requires the player to press diagonal-down forward, down, diagonal-down forward again and grab.
Kazuya isn’t the only thing coming in the next update though, there’s still more content! First of all, there’s a new stage, Mishima Dojo! The Mishima Dojo has walls and a roof, fighters are safe from being knocked out while those are there, however they can be broken. Heihachi is also featured here and will react to the battle whenever characters are knocked out. This stage also brings us 39 new songs. These songs are:
- Marine Stadium, Japan
- Chicago, U.S.A.
- Kyoto, Japan
- Heihachi Mishima, the King of Iron Fist
- Kazuya Mishima, Devil Kazuya (New arrangement)
- Kazuya Mishima, Devil Kazuya
- Emotionless Passion
- Attract -Embu- / Character Select
- Jin Kazama
- Heihachi Mishima
- Opening Movie
- Jin Stage
- Bit Crusher
- Red Hot Fist
- Moonlit Wilderness
- Snow Castle
- Into Nirvana
- Ethno Evening
- Only One Fight
- Dist Thins Out (New arrangement)
- Karma (New arrangement)
- Yodeling in Meadow Hill
- Abyss of Time
- Plucking Tulips
- Landscape Under the Ghost-Kaminano (New arrangement)
- New World Order
- No Easy Way Out
- Heat Haze Shadow
- Dojo (Japanese-Style Mix) (New arrangement)
- DUOMO DI SIRIO 1st
- Moonsiders 1st (New arrangement)
- Desperate Struggle (New arrangement)
- Aloneness (New arrangement)
- Mii Swordfighter Costume of Lloyd from Tales of Symphonia
- Mii Swordfighter Costume of Dragonborn from Skyrim
- Mii Swordfighter Costume of Dante from Devil May Cry
- Mii Brawler Costume of Shantae from Shantae, comes with Burning Town as a bonus song
Editing & Writing: Zerp