• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai Hates Legend of Zelda

Status
Not open for further replies.

skullkidd

Smash Ace
Anyone notice the complete lack of attention that was put on the Zelda series?

Yeah, it's great we got five representatives, but two of them are clones.

Ganondorf is possibly the biggest disappointment that Brawl has given us, with a barely changed moveset and a sword taunt that does its job in taunting us.

We get Tingle...but there is not one LoZ boss, and there was quite a selection to choose from.

The fact that we have a trophy for basically every Kirby enemy and the Kirby Hat is provides ever invented also adds to the bias of our friend Mr. Sakurai.

Also, before you flame me, this and FLUDD are honestly my only discontentment with Brawl thus far.

Lucas_User

Smash Journeyman
Uh, theres 4 character.
And theres a Tingle AT.
And I'm sure there's alot of trophies, etc.

Gilgamesh

BRoomer
BRoomer
Also, there might not be a Zelda Boss in SSE (besides dark zelda) But Ganondorf plays quite an important role in it.

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
While I agree with much of what you said, I think one of the main problems from Sakurai's perspective was that every Zelda game has essentially the same characters. After Link, Zelda and Ganon(dorf), there is only one other big character that has appeared on a regular basis: Tingle. 'Nuff said.

I do definitely believe though that there should have been some bosses from Zelda. King Dodongo comes to mind, as does Zant.

LinkNSnake4Main

Smash Journeyman
Sig.
I want you to particularly look at the aqua-blue.

Proud to be Anti-b!tchy-Member. Again, Leave Sakurai alone, he gaves us a great game..

gamer8

Smash Lord
Who cares? He doesn't hate any franchise. What about the fact that there's only 1 F-Zero character? Does he hate F-Zero? No.

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
Hey, we got Sheik back so I can't complain.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
Tingle is a boss battle on its own. Seriously, he freaks the crap out of every kid.

Machete

Smash Ace
I'm a Metroid fan. Stop crying.

If you think that The Legend of Zelda is underrepresented, you're amazingly selfish.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Just because he didn't put like 20 characters in the game, like YOU wanted, doesn't mean hates the series. >_>

skullkidd

Smash Ace
tingle

ten khars
Crap, thanks.

Who cares? He doesn't hate any franchise. What about the fact that there's only 1 F-Zero character? Does he hate F-Zero? No.
LoZ is more important than F-Zero.

And Metroid, for that matter, which gets a decent 2 characters and 2 bosses.

Also, the main reason why I'm presenting this argument is because of the way Ganondorf seems like he got a new model and was stuck back in with a different >B.

Soluble Toast

Smash Ace
NNID
solubletoast
3DS FC
2165-6410-7964
I agree with a few of your points.
Ganondorf, one of the biggest characters in Nintendo as a clone is blasphemy, but he was a clone in Melee because of time constraints, and he was continued on as a clone for the people that mained him in Melee. Drastically changing him would disrupt those mains. He should have had canon moves though. It wouldn't have been too hard to implement twilight light attacks into his UPB , Possibly launching an electric ball with his NeutralB, along with the warlock punch.

Sakurai had to distribute various things between the franchises. Mario got grossley over represented in most areas except characters because it's the Flagship series, Mother got a boss because it didn't have many reps, Metroid got a boss because it doesn't have many reps. Zelda got 5 characters so no boss etc.

I agree on a level though, TLOZ has some epic bosses that would have been great for SSE. I honestly expected more stages too. Hyrule Castle is a crucial plot point of many Zelda adventures, I don' t see why it has yet again been left out..

Master of Fossils

Smash Apprentice
he hates legend of zelda? ha! not as much as he hates metroid!
QFT

Gannon could have been uncloned, but at least they got 4 reps. Metroid only has 1, (zamus is the same person.) I agree with the boss issue though. There are so many of them, why couldn't sakurai pick one? I guess that dark zelda could be a tie to when gannondorf controlles her in Tp.

Machete

Smash Ace
And Metroid, for that matter, which gets a decent 2 characters and 2 bosses.
Metroid has 1'5 characters. Kirby has 3, StarFox has 3. Metroid is the most underrepresented series, F-Zero being the close second.

The Legend of Zelda? It has 4'5 characters, Ganondorf is one of the main villains in the Subspace Emissary, an assist trophy, 3 stages and lots of trophies.

Crystallion

Smash Ace
5 characters.
2 stages
an AT
An item
Lots of trophies
Ganon plays a huge role in SSE

Stop whining.
^ This.
Please, if anything, Metroid fans should cry about the lack of Metroid in the game (although what they have is great).

And I can't believe you're putting the fault on Sakurai AND you saying that he's crazy about his own creations. HE'S NOT! Kirby was the only character of his franchise for TWO Smash games, you would think that Sakurai is very humble and holds his creations back.

Whine whine whine...

Tonyman

Smash Journeyman
Im pretty sure F-Zero got more than one rep. Theres the Captain Falcon, The knee, The golden nipples and the new reverse Falcon Punch, all in one! 4 reps in one character! and they dont even have anything to do with the game besides the Character itself! How amazing is that!

TP_Zant

Smash Rookie
Ganondorf could have benefited greatly from a unique moveset, true, but as long as it presents his malicious spirit it's good enough.

His sword needs to be a B move if ever implemented though, and not figured in his main attack actions. (too many swords already, and ganon is one of the few who would work well using magic).

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
LoZ is more important than F-Zero.
How can you say what game series are more important than others? (just asking)

The thing that irritates me in brawl is the lost potential of Links and Ganondorf. Wolf Link + Midna would have been an excellent character, and toon Link could have had completely different attacks than Link, as well as Ganondorf could be different than C. Falcon. But I don´t really think that Sakurai really hates Zelda series. He propably just didin´t have enough time to make these things come true. Not that it matters, the game is finished and great. There´s enough of everything. That´s it. Period.

Raziken

Smash Cadet
This is super smash brothers, not Legend of Zelda Smash and Friends. So what, yeah you have tingle as an assist and a couple Chars that do some awsome stuff in adventure mode.

I know you're dissappointed in the lack of OMGEPIC AT's, but could you truely say you'd rather have some Boss come out, smash everyone up a bit, then be all bossey? or would you rather take the fact that you have a fairly decent AT that does provide some great help at times?

Kittah4

Smash Ace
I'm a Metroid fan. Stop crying.

If you think that The Legend of Zelda is underrepresented, you're amazingly selfish.
Zelda may not be underepresented, but it's clear Sakurai had no interest into delving into Zelda games and deriving original moves for Toon Link and Ganondorf.

That said, even Samus underrepresents herself. Screw attack does not go straight up. Her power beam is not blue. Whats with all those fire puff attacks? Etc.

Basically all the characters in the game have SOME potential left out of them, barring very few like Game and Watch, ROB, Captain Falcon, etc.

skullkidd

Smash Ace
Zelda may not be underepresented, but it's clear Sakurai had no interest into delving into Zelda games and deriving original moves for Toon Link and Ganondorf.
Thank you, this is the major point I tried to make.
Think of how natural it would seem for Toon Link's Deku Leaf to be his ^B, it's pretty much a no-brainer.

And I'm not anti-Metroid, just for the record, I would have liked to see Ridley playable as much as the next person.

Jellybelly

Smash Ace
Sakurai hates this thread.

And toon link didn't recieve any new moves because that would mean that every gen they'd have to add more and more unique links.

VVayfarer

Smash Journeyman
(zamus is the same person.)
Same goes for Zelda/Sheik.

The Legend of Zelda? It has 4'5 characters, Ganondorf is one of the main villains in the Subspace Emissary, an assist trophy, 3 stages and lots of trophies.
Actually... it only has 4 characters.
And LoZ is one of Nintendo's most important series, second only to Mario.

//And don't get me wrong. Four characters is enough for me.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I don't think it's something worth whining about, but I was also a little surprised that Tingle was the only AT Zelda got. With AT's making their debut, I figured there would be less Pokemon and more ATs resembling the same effects. For instance:

Skull Kid w/ Majora's Mask: Summons an angry moon and hurls it downward, aka Snorlax

I was really hoping for this one, but alas, it wasn't to be. But still, 5 characters is second only to Mario and Pokemon, both of which are the only Nintendo franchises to outsell Zelda. Judging only by sales, it seems fair.

Machete

Smash Ace
I know. I wanted Ganondorf's sword too. I wanted an original moveset for "Wind Waker Link".

But The Legend of Zelda is not underepresented. It has as many "pure" characters as Mario and Pokémon, and one transformation. An item, an assist trophy, and a lot of trophies.

Metroid is now a huge series, however, it only has one character and one transformation (even though the series' main antagonist was one of the most wanted newcomers!) and almost no trophies. Metroid is underepresented.

And LoZ is one of Nintendo's most important series, second only to Mario..
Pokémon says "hi".

Pieman0920

Smash Master
How people are counting characters always seems to confuse me here....

In any case, Zelda had good enough representation. Five characters is more than Mario's count, and the only series that really tops it is Pokemon. While it's true that TL is a clone, and Ganondorf is a half clone, that's still a good deal of characters. More so than Kirby anyways. That combined with the 3 stages, huge music selction, multiple items including AT, and the huge amount of trophies, makes me think that enough attention was indeed given to the series.

Metroid had well enough representation too. While it's a shame that we didn't get Ridley as a PC, we we did get two boss fights from him. Everything else from Metroid though is up to par. In fact, it was one of the few series that got two new stages. (I'm guessing that this is the indication that a series is prominent or not, despite lack of characters. Only LoZ, Metroid, Pokemon, and DK got two new ones...while Mario got like 5)

And F-Zero doesn't really deserve/have anyone with any pottential moves for a second spot, outside possibly Goroh.

EDIT: Just to clarify, Metroid has a butt load of trophies. If you want a series that really got shafted in regards to those things, look at Wario, or Fire Emblem.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
You know, this thread should definitely be scrapped for a Metroid/F-Zero whining central. They actually have a reason to whine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom