• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai Hates Legend of Zelda

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

No. Its even worse with the trophies.

They're all from TP and WW! I mean, I may have liked Agithia and Hena, but don't you think a Nayru or Din trophy takes priority? I'm still furious that the older LoZ games got a bigger shove up the *** in Brawl, there are plently of fairly major characters to use.

No to mention there's a hundred of so Kirby trophies from every game, which proves to me that Sakurai is biased to the series he made.

Raziken

Smash Cadet
Its even worse with the trophies. They're all from TP and WW! I mean, I may have liked Agithia and Hena, but don't you think a Nayru or Din trophy takes priority?

There's a hundred of so Kirby trophies from every game, which proves to me that Sakurai is biased to the series he made!
Kirby games are all pretty much interelated.

Stuff from Dream Land applied in 64 and etc. etc.

Lovely

Smash Lord
And toon link didn't recieve any new moves because that would mean that every gen they'd have to add more and more unique links.
I guess that do make since. But I do wonder, is every trophy is going to be the same in the U.S. or it's going to change a little?

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Most of the Kirby trophies were probably taken from that canceled Game Cube Kirby game. In fact, most trophies are ripped straight from whatever game they represent.

Also, Brawl's trophies clearly seem to emphasize new things, or at least the stuff that happened between Melee's trophy set, and Brawl's. That's why you won't see many references to older games, like say MM, unless its through stickers.

Pima

Smash Journeyman
Oh noez!! Sakurai hates Pokemon bekuz he rem0vd miewtoo!11!
Oh noez!! Sakurai hates Mario bekuz he rem0vd his docor sut!11!
Oh noez!! Sakurai hates Fire Emblem bekuz he rem0vd t3h phire Roy!11!
Oh noez!! Sakurai double hates Pokemon bekuz he rem0vd Pichu!11!
Oh noez!! Sakurai hates Starfox bekuz he give it 3 reps bout 0nlay 1 FS!11!
Oh noez!! Sakurai hates Luigi bekuz he didnt gave him his vakuum!11!

I could go on and on... There's no such thing as 'underrepresented' or 'overepresented', the things that are in the game are there because of a reason, and the ones that aren't, aren't there because of a reason... we may not know it, but there is one. Seriously people, you need to stop...

...Now

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
You know, this thread should definitely be scrapped for a Metroid/F-Zero whining central. They actually have a reason to whine.

The reason Metroid is under-represented (by characters, anyway; two new levels that don't suck) is probably due to t he fact that it's much more popular in the states than it is in Japan. Oh, and despite being great games, the franchise doesn't sell well, for whatever reason. Carnival Games was released on the same day as Metroid Prime 3, and it sold more. Has anyone here even touched Carnival Games?

Now F-Zero isn't a prominent franchise like Mario, Pokemon or Zelda, but it's up there to be sure.

7 console games (8 if you count the Satellaview game in JPN)
1 major arcade
Spans 4 Nintendo consoles
An anime series

That's more than some characters included can boast. Plus, Falcon has been in the series since SSB64. Every character that, alone, represented his or her franchise in that game has since received another rep (I count Zamus as another rep). Falcon's received none, not even a Zero Suit version of himself. This is the only franchise that I think can honestly ***** about a lack of representation.

Samurai Goro or Black Shadow would have made good characters. Black Shadow could have become the Melee Ganondorf while Ganon himself would become uncloned, making all parties happy. But, oh well.

Note: I'm content with the game and do not hate Sakurai. I just like to speculate; I did the same forever with Melee.

TP_Zant

Smash Rookie
Most of the Kirby trophies were probably taken from that canceled Game Cube Kirby game. In fact, most trophies are ripped straight from whatever game they represent.

Also, Brawl's trophies clearly seem to emphasize new things, or at least the stuff that happened between Melee's trophy set, and Brawl's. That's why you won't see many references to older games, like say MM, unless its through stickers.

Makes sense, I haven't thought about it that way. It's probably Sakurai's own way of portraying how each series has changed in the past, by giving a compare and contrast.

Kittah4

Smash Ace
The topic creator is just a selfish fanboy who wants more than we have.
It's ludicrous to think that just by casually looking at the last boss fights of Zelda, or random clips of Wind Waker / Phantom Hourglass, that Sakurai could not have come up with more unique moves to make Toon Link distinct and unique.

Up + B = Deku Leaf (air burst on ground, cypher-like recovery in air), OR Hurricane Slash (helicopter SSB64 like recovery in air, moving spinslash on ground, dizzy after ground slash)

Throw = Grappling Hook (tether recovery)

Neutral B = Boomerang (press and hold to bring it out, choose a direction to throw instead of throwing it immediately. Would give Kirby a unique power instead of just another bow)

Down B = Skull Hammer (why not?)

Side B = Bombchu (had them in Phantom Hourglass)

But no, we just got some half-hearted changed arials. An Ganondorf is even worse.

Best101

Smash Ace
The Zelda music is amazing, and it looks like they put a lot of work in it them plus there's a lot of them.

Insurance Salesman

Smash Apprentice
Personally, I think DK fans should be the ones whining, not LOZ. DK is the 3rd or 4th most important and best-selling franchise Nintedo has (it had sold more copies than Legend of Zelda a couple years ago) and they only get 2 characters? And don't even talk about the terrible representation shown to F-Zero and Metroid.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Zelda may not be underepresented, but it's clear Sakurai had no interest into delving into Zelda games and deriving original moves for Toon Link and Ganondorf.

That said, even Samus underrepresents herself. Screw attack does not go straight up. Her power beam is not blue. Whats with all those fire puff attacks? Etc.

Basically all the characters in the game have SOME potential left out of them, barring very few like Game and Watch, ROB, Captain Falcon, etc.
I think it's better to say that a number of series are poorly represented than underrepresented.
In MOTHER, the kids still have PSI that they never learn minus Ness' PK Flash. Jeff is the only party member from MOTHER series to get a trophy. Porky makes an unmemorable appearance in the SSE.

The Starfox characters all have the same freakin' Final Smash and all are pretty similar (more so Falco than Wolf).

As for Samus, I see the Screw Attack as a mix of the Space Jump and the Screw Attack itself. Why the puffs of fire and the blue power beam are the way they are is a mystery. Prior to seeing footage of the pre-Fusion and Prime games, I just that the Power Beam was actually like that.

They bother to give Link a more TP based moveset, yet Ganondorf wasn't given some things to be more like his actual character and Toon Link doesn't have any WW items like the Deku Leaf.

The Fire Emblem characters are both blue-haired swordsmen and this gives a false impression of Fire Emblem.

F-Zero gets little no love at all. I don't think anything really needs to be said.

DK also doesn't even get that love it deserves. Especially since that it laid the foundation for Nintendo, not Mario.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
You got 4 characters and an AT. Meanwhile series like Fire Emblem (which has 10 games with an 11th in the making) only got two reps and an AT that would've made a great playable character.

...not fair.

raymanbud714

Smash Journeyman
well how can u be mad at him for having more kirby content? cant blame him for doing what hes good at. besides. kirby has alot of trophies because he has alot of copy abilities from all the other chars.

Arteen

Smash Lord
I'm a Golden Sun fan, and we got a rather lame, nearly static AT and a song. We didn't even get a stage. Electroplankton, of all games, got a stage, but not GS. I'd say Golden Sun is much more underrepresented than Zelda, with its 3 unique characters, 2 clones and half-clones, and 3 stages, abundance of music, multiple trophies, an item, and prominent roles in SSE.

Falcon's received none, not even a Zero Suit version of himself.
I can assure you, that's for the best. :urg:

Kittah4

Smash Ace
I think it's better to say that a number of series are poorly represented than underrepresented.
In MOTHER, the kids still have PSI that they never learn minus Ness' PK Flash. Jeff is the only party member from MOTHER series to get a trophy. Porky makes an unmemorable appearance in the SSE.

The Starfox characters all have the same freakin' Final Smash and all are pretty similar (more so Falco than Wolf).

As for Samus, I see the Screw Attack as a mix of the Space Jump and the Screw Attack itself. Why the puffs of fire and the blue power beam are the way they are is a mystery. Prior to seeing footage of the pre-Fusion and Prime games, I just that the Power Beam was actually like that.

They bother to give Link a more TP based moveset, yet Ganondorf wasn't given some things to be more like his actual character and Toon Link doesn't have any WW items like the Deku Leaf.

The Fire Emblem characters are both blue-haired swordsmen and this gives a false impression of Fire Emblem.

F-Zero gets little no love at all. I don't think anything really needs to be said.

DK also doesn't even get that love it deserves. Especially since that it laid the foundation for Nintendo, not Mario.
Thing is, Space Jump / Screw attack samus moves in a sin wave-like fashion, and doesnt stop all forward momentum. And because of the misnamed and misrepresented stuff, it DOES confuse fans. Samus' power beam + charge beam has been orange in all three primes as well as super metroid. Its been orange/red in Zero Mission and Fusion. And yet those attacks are named Charge Shot (not power beam or charge beam) and her smash is Zero Laser (Samus NEVER shoots "lasers")

Some people I talked to, even my FRIENDS IRL, thought Luigi's melee voice was his actual voice. That was TRUE laziness on Sakurais part.

I agree that F-Zero gets little love, and DK is missing his iconic roll (probably has the worst dash attack in the game right now).

I think Ike and Marth are decent, a broadsword and 1 handed sword moveset instead of two clones. But Lyn for her japanese style sword or hector for an axe would have been more unique.

And why give Mario the dumb FLUDD and not Luigi for the Poltergust?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Thing is, Space Jump / Screw attack samus moves in a sin wave-like fashion, and doesnt stop all forward momentum. And because of the misnamed and misrepresented stuff, it DOES confuse fans. Samus' power beam + charge beam has been orange in all three primes as well as super metroid. Its been orange/red in Zero Mission and Fusion. And yet those attacks are named Charge Shot (not power beam or charge beam) and her smash is Zero Laser (Samus NEVER shoots "lasers")

Some people I talked to, even my FRIENDS IRL, thought Luigi's melee voice was his actual voice. That was TRUE laziness on Sakurais part.

I agree that F-Zero gets little love, and DK is missing his iconic roll (probably has the worst dash attack in the game right now).

I think Ike and Marth are decent, a broadsword and 1 handed sword moveset instead of two clones. But Lyn for her japanese style sword or hector for an axe would have been more unique.

And why give Mario the dumb FLUDD and not Luigi for the Poltergust?
Not only does it confurse fans but it confuses and gives people new to the series a misconception about the character in its own series. I mean, how would you like it if you found out that Ness doesn't learn PK Fire when you're playing Earthbound for the first time?

It was indeed laziness with Luigi's voice. For the longest time, I kept thinking that was his actual voice.

Luigi proably didn't get the Poltergust in order to make him more different from Mario.

I think we should be more concerned if our favorite series are properly represented over whether they're over or underrepresented.

Lynkx

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai loves Kirby, and hates all the others, especially Golden Sun. I still can't believe that Kuru Kuru Kururin has more representation than Golden Sun...
Kuru Kuru Kururin is very addictive, I had an entire phase dedicated to that game, played it for hours with my friends. I can see why it's more represented.

But it's simple and lacks depth to Golden Sun, so Golden Sun should've gotten more attention

kainsword

Smash Journeyman
While I agree with much of what you said, I think one of the main problems from Sakurai's perspective was that every Zelda game has essentially the same characters. After Link, Zelda and Ganon(dorf), there is only one other big character that has appeared on a regular basis: Tingle. 'Nuff said.

I do definitely believe though that there should have been some bosses from Zelda. King Dodongo comes to mind, as does Zant.
Are you insane? Vaati is the 2nd most recurring villain in THE SERIES. Minish Cap, Four Swords, etc.

The next LoZ character has to be Vaati, and not Zant. Zant was a mere pawn of Ganondorf in TP, and he was a crappy pawn at that. The guy was insanely devoted and loyal to Ganondorf.

There isn't a bias against LoZ characters, there's 6 of them in the game.

Link, Toon Link, Ganondorf, Zelda, Sheik, and Tingle.

That surpasses Metroid representation by far. 1 new character, and its an inferior Samus without her suit? Please. Metroid representation was the crappiest of all.

Betrayed

Smash Ace
So many fanboys whining about how they didn't get what they wanted here, holy hell.

I wanted Crono to get in like you wouldn't believe, but I haven't said a word about it, yet all you GS fanboys just keep crying about how somebody didn't make it in as a PC. Really, come on. Be glad they're in the game at all.

It's time to move on. Enjoy the game, quit crying. (That goes for everybody in this thread q.qing at the lack of *insert whatever*)

D

Deleted member

What happened to the Oracles games then? Not a single reference to them in the entire game, and they came out just after Melee in 2001. Heck, its like they've fallen into a lava filled pit or something; even Four Swords got music over them.

Zek

Smash Ace
Zelda got plenty of representation. Toon Link is awesome. The only disappointment is Ganondorf, who was hardly decloned even though he's the one clone from Melee who most deserved his own moveset. Wolf is a much more original character than Ganondorf, which is pitiful.

plasmatorture

Smash Journeyman
I'm a Golden Sun fan, and we got a rather lame, nearly static AT and a song. We didn't even get a stage. Electroplankton, of all games, got a stage, but not GS. I'd say Golden Sun is much more underrepresented than Zelda, with its 3 unique characters, 2 clones and half-clones, and 3 stages, abundance of music, multiple trophies, an item, and prominent roles in SSE.
Oh no, Golden Sun wasn't represented, with its two whole games and a hugely significant place in Nintendo history. What are we going to do?
FIRST PARTY series that are more significant (Nintendo Wars - 12 games; etc.), and even similarly sized seires (Baten Kaitos - 2 games; Animal Crossing - 2 games; Star Tropics - 2 games; etc.), are just as underrepresented if not more.

Golden Sun is a second party game, and in that realm, there's no way it can compete with Custom Robo for prominence, as well as other games.

I would've loved to see Isaac as a playable charcter - he's probably in my top 5 wanted ones - but seriously stop whining about it in every single thread you post in.

I can assure you, that's for the best. :urg:
ZSCF is an amazing idea. He'd be too unbalanced though because nobody would be able to compete with his sheer manliness. :(

Spartan1841

Smash Journeyman
No he doesn't hate any of the series otherwise he would not have put link from the start with the n64

Jellybelly

Smash Ace
Skull kid didn't stand a chance,sorry but it's true.

Like someone said before, the most obvious choice for another Zelda char is Vaati. Midna isn't important, shes like skull kid. A big part of one game that will be completely forgotten by the next one, Shiek is the exception because of her ties to Zelda.

But Vaati doesn't have a trophy in brawl, and characters which i believe have a high chance of being a character (Krystal, Sylux, Bowser.Jr) are represented by trophies. If Vaati is in another zelda game (portable or otherwise) then he's a shoe in.

Youko

Podcasting Pro
NNID
SMYNYouko
3DS FC
1418-6781-7411
Go complain in the Official Complaint Thread...

If you were a real Zelda fan, you should be amazed at the music they put into Brawl from the franchise. Not to mention everything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom