• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai Discussion

WiFi

Smash Journeyman
This thread is a petition to have Daddy Sakurai be put into the credits of Smash 5, if it comes out. Also, feel free to discuss all things Sakurai in this thread.

Note: This is a JOKE thread. Don't get offended by anything, this was done for the memes. Also I'll move this to the joke threads if there are any.

Edit: Actually decided to make this a serious thread now, so lets actually talk about Sakurai's decisions regarding the Smash Bros. Franchise.

Last edited:

WiFi

Smash Journeyman
The creator of Snake actually wanted Daddy Sakurai to put Snake in Smash 4, but for some reason, Snake wasn't added. Everybody wants Snake and Wolf to be revived though, which is possible, considering they brought back Roy and Dr. Mario.

hAKLE

Smash Cadet
NNID
mariomush115
The creator of Snake actually wanted Daddy Sakurai to put Snake in Smash 4, but for some reason, Snake wasn't added. Everybody wants Snake and Wolf to be revived though, which is possible, considering they brought back Roy and Dr. Mario.
You know whats funny? Kojima and Sakurai hate what they're known for. For Kojima, it was the Metal Gear franchise, because Konami ripped him off and made a non-Kojima Metal Gear Solid game without him. For Sakurai, it was because when he wanted to stop at Melee, the fans demanded for more games, so he had to made more games. I think Sakurai wanted to stop because he had to make the game with a trackpad.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
I've gotten a bit tired of Samurai.

He seems to only have a vague sense of where he wants these games to go but his decisions are largely untenable or hard to understand. For example, it makes sense to me that he wanted there to be a swimming mechanic, as having a new terrain interaction could make combat more interesting. Unfortunately the way he implemented it was completely asinine and useless. Characters are completely unable to fight while they're in the water so swimming serves no real purpose other than seeing them get swimming/drowning animations. It's a completely pointless addition.

If it were me, I would choose to give the characters the ability to fight underwater. They sink to the lowermost platform and fight the same way, just with some lag to their movements. Double jump is replaced with an infinite "swim" jump, ala Mario Bros, where pressing the jump button continuously causes the character to rise, and they can swim as much as they'd like. They'd still be able to drown and sink to the bottom of the screen, but it only occurs if they run out of air while over 100% damage.

Furthermore, I'm not sure who it is in charge of choosing music to be in Smash, but the selections they've made for Smash 4 are ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE. They don't pick any good battle music from any of the games, or remix them in interesting ways, instead they put in atrocious music copy/pasted from the source game without any consideration as to how it functions in a battle context.

One of the Pikmin stages, for example, has relaxing nature sounds as one of the music tracks. And of course I'm sure we're all dead tired of hearing the exact same grating, acoustic guitar/whistling melody tracks from Smashville and Town & City. THESE ARE NOT TRACKS THAT FUNCTION IN A BATTLE SETTING. They are tracks to put your baby to sleep.

If you really feel that having battle-remixed tracks or high-energy, fast-paced original tracks from the game would not pay homage to the games that the stages are from, maybe it's time to consider not having those games be Smash stages in the first place. Animal Crossing is not a combat-heavy game by any means whatsoever, it makes no sense why it has any stages in a fighting game at all, much less one of the most competitive battle stages in the game. Its stage layout should be given to another franchise with more action.

Smash needs pumping, energetic music filling every single one of its stages. Not sleepytime relaxing forest sounds for baby to fall asleep to.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Just gonna quote what I said in the general thread
I'd say a new director with Sakurai as a consulter would be the ideal situation because:
  • Sakurai doesn't like cutting veterans, but we don't know if the hypothetical new director would share that mentality.
  • Sakurai wouldn't have to cope with the stress of developing another game.
  • A new director could open the door for characters Sakurai previously rejected.
  • No more classic Kirby bias!!! seriously we need more Modern Kirby representation.
I've gotten a bit tired of Samurai.
Masahiro Samurai.png
im not sorry

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
This is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen.

On topic, I think my ideal is Sakurai play a supervisor role, it'd give us the chance of fresh eyes while hopefully keeping around his boatload of content
What content?

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
What content?
Event match
Large number of stages
Large number of characters
A lot of freedom to customise how you play (item switch, stock Vs time, special mode, stock time, random stage switch, omega, seriously the amount of customisation you can do to standard smash is insane)
Large number of items
Event matchs
The challenge board
Trophies
Stadium mode
Stage builder
Classic

And more

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
And you think the director would say, "**** that," if Sakurai weren't involved...?

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
And you think the director would say, "**** that," if Sakurai weren't involved...?
No, but Sakurai would just be a little more reassuring that is there. Other newer games don't have that level of content, Splatoon, ARMS, even Mario Kart has lost some content over the years doesn't have as much as previous entries (no mission mode, custom laps, Mario Kart 7 didn't even have Vs mode and 8 had no battle tracks on Wii U)

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
You know whats funny? Kojima and Sakurai hate what they're known for. For Kojima, it was the Metal Gear franchise, because Konami ripped him off and made a non-Kojima Metal Gear Solid game without him. For Sakurai, it was because when he wanted to stop at Melee, the fans demanded for more games, so he had to made more games. I think Sakurai wanted to stop because he had to make the game with a trackpad.
I never got why Kojima wanted Snake in Brawl in the first place.

Kojima peed all over the Gamecube and generally made no secret of his loathing for Nintendo, but then begs Sakurai for Snake to be added to Brawl.

Makes no sense...

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I never got why Kojima wanted Snake in Brawl in the first place.

Kojima peed all over the Gamecube and generally made no secret of his loathing for Nintendo, but then begs Sakurai for Snake to be added to Brawl.

Makes no sense...
He and Miyamoto made a Metal Gear Solid game together on the GameCube... What the hell are you on about?

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
How much involvement will Sakurai have in actual development this time around?
I wouldn't be surprised if he lets a new director take over and just handles the game promotion.
I don't want papa Sakurai to kill himself.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I wouldn't be opposed to Masahiro Sakurai just overlooking the game. The man has worked himself to death on the past games. And needs a break. Maybe he'll be a consultant.

D

Deleted member

I wouldn't be opposed to Masahiro Sakurai just overlooking the game. The man has worked himself to death on the past games. And needs a break. Maybe he'll be a consultant.
He already confirmed that he's working on it

SaltyKracka

Smash Lord
I just don't want him making actual important decisions about core gameplay.

This is after all the man who gave us tripping.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
People seem to forget one important thing about Sakurai

Being a game developer is Sakurais job. We all complain about our jobs but we still do it for the income. You can't just simply take a big break. You need that income. Plus it's a job he enjoys even if it does give him pain, otherwise he'd move on from Smash.

D

Deleted member

That is true the man is a perfectionist and wants Smash to be absolutely perfect also he cares deeply for the series wanting to make it as best he can in his vision. Hard to say if he’d give over the reigns to someone that easy. But again glad he’s back.

Morbi

Scavenger
I am not going to lie, I was excited at the prospect of someone else making decisions, just to see how it turned out. But at the same time, at least we cannot go wrong now. The worst I have to fear is worthless features or counter-fun game-modes.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
He and Miyamoto made a Metal Gear Solid game together on the GameCube... What the hell are you on about?
IIRC, Kojima also wanted Snake in Melee, but before MGS:TS (which I own) was made, Kojima had some less than kind words about the GCN (and Nintendo), some of which he apologized for.

I always found it strange that they didn't rerelease Twin Snakes on the Wii, given how great Snake in SSBB would've been for advertising...

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
IIRC, Kojima also wanted Snake in Melee, but before MGS:TS (which I own) was made, Kojima had some less than kind words about the GCN (and Nintendo), some of which he apologized for.
Lol do you have a link to this? I'd love to read it.
Oldschool Nintendo was a pretty close-minded company.

Last edited:

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
I believe it's silly how people like to attribute every single decision of a game, and often the entire development of the game itself to one person.

Especially after so many years, there's a lot of miscommunication, mistranslation, rumors, and misinformation spreading around this community. It's generally best not to make an opinion based off of anything we can't provide a source for.

Just because a decision happened doesn't mean Sakurai was involved, and just because Sakurai talks about a decision doesn't mean he was the whole reason for it or anything. We like to think we know more about this person and the actual development of Smash than we do.

You have to remember this is his job, and he works for Nintendo, who has investors and the general consumer to keep happy.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I believe it's silly how people like to attribute every single decision of a game, and often the entire development of the game itself to one person.

Especially after so many years, there's a lot of miscommunication, mistranslation, rumors, and misinformation spreading around this community. It's generally best not to make an opinion based off of anything we can't provide a source for.

Just because a decision happened doesn't mean Sakurai was involved, and just because Sakurai talks about a decision doesn't mean he was the whole reason for it or anything. We like to think we know more about this person and the actual development of Smash than we do.

You have to remember this is his job, and he works for Nintendo, who has investors and the general consumer to keep happy.
That’s how Directors work though. They oversee, approve, incorporate, and is apart of every single aspect of the project. It’s why games and films have consistency. Without that game would be a cluster **** of mismashed ideas that probably won’t meld well in the end. Directors may not be the highest up in terms of hierarchy or whatever but they are in charge of making a lot or sometimes all, of the hard decisions.

Last edited:

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
S_B S_B Sakurai and Kojima are BFFs. If you were friends with the guy who makes Smash Bros, wouldn't you beg him to put in a character you really wanted?

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Directors for films and game tend to be the loudest voice in terms of development and direction.

This is why you end up with movies with academy award winning actors turn in awful performances in movies with terrible directors like in A collator beauty who has actors turn in some pretty awful performances despite knowing they can do better.

Overall sakurai still gets it right, at least when it comes to making a smash game. He has a direction and ideas that most of the time work and sometimes he misses.

I can get why people would want a change in director, and I don’t see that as selfish. Nothing wrong with wanting something as long as you aren’t a jerk about that want or desire. He gets the formula right. Looking at games that are smash like mostly failing outside of Rival of Aether and maybe one or two others. You can see he has the right stuff for an overall smash game. What it will do fir competive smash? Who knows, Smash 4 seemed to work a lot better for most people.

R3D3MON

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KeeHwang2010
User was warned for this spam
Smash 4 seemed to work a lot better for most people.
Lmao

EDIT: mmmm I love how Mods abuse their powers. Sorry I disagree with your (frankly incorrect) opinion about people's perception of Sm4sh.

Last edited:

The Animator

Smash Journeyman
Smash 4 seemed to work a lot better for most people.
When I play all other smash games with my brother we are about tied for matches regardless of who we choose. In Smash 4 I lose about 80% of the time unless I use Charizard, Cloud, Mewtwo, or Corrin. I vastly prefer every other Smash game over Smash 4.

Top Bottom