• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai Discusses Sonic Joining Smash

In anticipation for the Sonic 25th Anniversary Party in San Diego, Source Gaming has been publishing several articles related to the blue blur for the past week. Highlights include a discussion on the pros and cons of Sonic’s social media, a complete history of Sonic Spinball and an article outlining how Dr. Eggman could work in Smash. Today, Source Gaming has published Masahiro Sakurai’s introduction to Sonic. This was originally published on November 2nd, 2007 -- slightly before Brawl’s release date in Japan.

Sakurai begins the column making it clear that Sonic was not a guaranteed character.

Maybe it's just my imagination, but I get the feeling people are acting Sonic joining Smash was practically guaranteed….I want to write this in huge letters, but he definitely was not guaranteed! When looking at characters from outside of the world of Nintendo, there are a lot of joint efforts, hardships and other issues to deal with.
Afterwards, he discusses how he approached designing Sonic:

After thinking about it for a while, I decided to utilize the first version of Sonic—the one from Sega Genesis. The first Sonic the Hedgehog is a game that can be played with one button. Even though it’s simple, it still feels invigorating.
He notes that Sonic’s neutral combo was inspired by Virtua Fighter, another Sega-made series. Lastly, Sakurai discusses music choices. For the full column, check out the post on Source Gaming!

These translations are only possible through the support Source Gaming receives on Patreon! The Patreon helps Source Gaming afford articles to translate, server costs and equipment. Even if you can’t support us, please give us a follow on Twitter! We post daily Smash Trivia!

Last edited:
PushDustin

Comments

Happy 25th Anniversary to Sonic.

I actually have a smash 4 voice mod that replace's Sonic old voice with his new one.

Nice.
In related news, Sonic seems to be getting two new games, a retro inspired one and what seems to be a sequel to Generations. Both are looking pretty promising.

Sakurai sounds like he's got the master plan all the time. No need though, he's already built his empire
I feel like sometimes ,when sakurai wants a certain character in smash. He will make a precursor character first to test things. Like Rollout coming before spindash. I'm guessing weddle D is next because of Corrin's F-smash. Bowser Jr and rob MAY b eggman's precursor for a potential up-B.otherwise I see sakurai pulling a Sonic the fighters and using that version for Eggman. maybe take inspiration from Megaman and use some Sonic 1-3 boss attacks for smashes

Last edited:
His name is Sakurai, don't forget his name. If you ask him again, he'll tell you the same.
Refining this to make it better cause it's worth it.
S.A.K.U.R.A.
The development begins, with who's gonna win.
Knowing the balance issues lie within
Aboard the hype, a gamer at heart
Wanting to unlock the mystery of Master Core

I am the S.A.K.U.R.A.I, thats what I am
I am the S.A.K.U.R.A.I, I've got the master team
I am the S.A.K.U.R.A.I, that's what I am
I am the S.A.K.U.R.A.I, with the master team!

I'm having back pains, whenever I develop
Dedede's perfect in every way
I'd love to destroy the competitive scene you know!
They're an obstacle that always get in my way
I will ride this train by my rules
I will make this game with my tools
All my challenges, are made for mental torture!
I WILL BUILD A CUSTOM STAGE
I will screw wii users over and you will see
With the wii remote, you will not succeed!

I am the S.A.K.U.R.A.I, with the master team

*Guitar solo*
I am the Sakbelief, I will succeed
My challenges yeah I must complete
My name is S.A.K.U.R.A.I, don't forget my game
If you ask me again, I'll show you the same!

I am the S.A.K.U.R.A.I, with the master MASTER team

I am the S.A.K.U.R.A.IIIIII

Last edited:
Sega and Nintendo is like cats and dogs liking each other.

Happy Anniversary btw.

Last edited:
Oh, I know. But it still seems like a successor of sorts.
While just having Classic Sonic alone understandably invokes feelings of a Generations 2, I don't think it's gonna be the same thing.

The location we saw was not a previous Sonic stage, and it's also worth noting that Classic Sonic performed the Sonic Boost in the trailer.

While there is a ton of speculation on what the game will be like, I do not think it will be the same gameplay as Generations, at least not for Classic Sonic. It can't be, if he has the Boost.

"Of course I played the older titles, but I also completed the newest installment at the time—Sonic the Hedgehog for the Playstation 3."

Guys, Sakurai played Sonic 06. It's amazing that Sonic got into Smash at all after that horrible experience.

I don't see how that shows you can use one button...the only thing you basically need in Sonic is being able to move right but also jump(since there are platforms), that's at the minimum two buttons, not one.
Directional buttons aren't being included. Jumping, and the spin attack can be done with any of the face buttons on the Sega Genesis. Sakurai discussed Kirby being a one button game too.
http://sourcegaming.info/2015/05/27/one-button-sakurai-famitsu-column/

While just having Classic Sonic alone understandably invokes feelings of a Generations 2, I don't think it's gonna be the same thing.

The location we saw was not a previous Sonic stage, and it's also worth noting that Classic Sonic performed the Sonic Boost in the trailer.

While there is a ton of speculation on what the game will be like, I do not think it will be the same gameplay as Generations, at least not for Classic Sonic. It can't be, if he has the Boost.
Colors : Lost World : : Generations : 2017 Project.

The second game (Lost World / 2017) borrows the first game's gimmick (Colors' Wisps / Classic Sonic), but doesn't make that gimmick the main focus of the game. The gimmick is brought back mainly because fans liked it in the previous game it was featured in, and so the developers thought they might as well add it in. The plot, setting, and even gameplay of the second games in each set isn't necessarily the same as that of its counterpart, despite the inclusion of that one gimmick.

Let's just hope this turns out better than Lost World did.

Colors : Lost World : : Generations : 2017 Project.

The second game (Lost World / 2017) borrows the first game's gimmick (Colors' Wisps / Classic Sonic), but doesn't make that gimmick the main focus of the game. The gimmick is brought back mainly because fans liked it in the previous game it was featured in, and so the developers thought they might as well add it in. The plot, setting, and even gameplay of the second games in each set isn't necessarily the same as that of its counterpart, despite the inclusion of that one gimmick.

Let's just hope this turns out better than Lost World did.
This is a different context though. Wisps were a power-up that were a bonus to the gameplay experience (literally speaking, as they were not even mandatory in Lost World except for about two occasions). Classic Sonic is literally a separate playstyle in and of itself. Wisps also weren't given some big focus in Lost World's reveal either. Classic Sonic was literally one of the center pieces of this trailer, being the big surprise near the end. Which is exactly how he was revealed in Generations' initial teaser. There is absolutely no implication of him being less prominent. If anything, he is implied to be more prominent here, because he saved Modern Sonic (whereas he just randomly jumped in for no particular reason in the teaser trailer for Generations).

Wisps coming back was nothing shocking as they are just a power-up integrated into Modern Sonic's gameplay. But Classic Sonic in Generations was a whole other playstyle (similar to the Werehog in Unleashed). What I'm saying is, I don't think Classic Sonic will be the same 2D, Genesis style gameplay as in Generations, because he has the Boost in the trailer. He also has his own game in Sonic Mania for the more traditional gameplay.

Iizuka said the game will not be a sequel and will be a brand new experience. And I think Classic Sonic playing in a way that's fundamentally different to how he did in Generations is part of that.

Yippy that's great Sonic is 25 years old was not guarenteed to make it yet he made it, and in honor of his birthday we go talk about well Sonic related stuff before Generations 2 comes out (At least that's what I think). But in all seriousness, I actually like sonic even though I am butt with him in both of his games, if we could just get his werehog form in the roster that'd be great.

Top Bottom