• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai Confirms Appearance of New Characters

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
Good news!

Sakurai has essentially confirmed that Smash 4 will include new characters despite his previous comment hinting the idea of not adding any more characters.

This confirmation combined with the remark that Sakurai plans on bringing back "old characters" means that we could expect to see more of Nintendo's classics similar to R.O.B. or Game & Watch.

Small news, but news is still news! Stay tuned for future updates in regards to Smash 4's developments.

Source: http://www.officialnintendomagazine...ii-u-and-3ds-sakurai-confirms-new-characters/

Luigi player

Smash Master
meh, all interesting old school chars are already used (ICs and Pit). I really hope there will be not super old ones too... k rool and mewtwo!

nice to be sure that there will be new chars :)

umegames

Smash Cadet
meh, all interesting old school chars are already used (ICs and Pit). I really hope there will be not super old ones too... k rool and mewtwo!

No offense to those who use these characters, but R.O.B., Jigglypuff, Mr. Game N Watch and Toon link are ok to go for the sake of new faces.

And arguably Falco as well, i know i wont be popular for saying that, but honestly i feel Fox and Wolf are all that needs to represent Star Fox. Also, if Ike or Marth are not present in the upcoming Fire Emblem, remove them, even though i really like them.

New faces i hope they'll consider is
Dixie Kong, Mach rider, Geno, some form of an animal crossing charchter, Isaac, and BRING BACK MEWTWO!

Aaven

Vagabond With Flowers ~
Nice to get some teasers like this every so often. It's nice to know Sakurai is baiting us with these little bits and pieces of information, can't wait until he drops a big load of hype such as a screenshot or starts unveiling the roster to us slowly.

Looking forward to some Retro-style hype.

009soulmaster

Smash Rookie
NNID
009soulmaster
3DS FC
3351-4049-0686
Switch FC
5W-5347-5287-1408

Neku from The World Ends With You?

keero16

Smash Rookie
I really hope he doesn't focus too much on retro. Some old characters are nice, but I don't want them taking the spotlight. And I want actual characters, no pulling a ROB please. I think ROB would have served better as an assist trophy.

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
As much as I'd like to see new characters, I think Nintendo should focus more on balance and making the game have a longer lifespan. People still play Melee, but Brawl is a dying game.

All my rage if they do not have Krystal.

DatMangoSentinel

Smash Rookie
NNID
DatMangoSentinel
No offense to those who use these characters, but R.O.B., Jigglypuff, Mr. Game N Watch and Toon link are ok to go for the sake of new faces.

And arguably Falco as well, i know i wont be popular for saying that, but honestly i feel Fox and Wolf are all that needs to represent Star Fox. Also, if Ike or Marth are not present in the upcoming Fire Emblem, remove them, even though i really like them.

Dixie Kong, Mach rider, Geno, some form of an animal crossing charchter, Isaac, and BRING BACK MEWTWO!
Inb4 Sakurai doesn't throw in Geno and throws in Mallow instead. xD

Though, nonetheless, I agree with you.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Honestly, I don't see why we should take out characters that aren't clones. Taking out characters only succeeds in ticking people off. Hopefully we'll be adding characters instead of subtracting.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Also, if Ike or Marth are not present in the upcoming Fire Emblem, remove them, even though i really like them.
Marth has a role in the main plot of FE13
. As well, Marth, Ike, and many, many other FE Lords are available through DLC in FE13.

On top of that: Marth is the original FE Lord and Ike is more or less the rep for FE in NA/Europe. FE will probably have three reps: Marth, Ike, and Krom, with an outside chance of just Marth and Krom. Marth ain't leaving the roster for sure.

Removed By Request

Smash Journeyman

They won't take out Jiggles because she was one of the original eight. And I think that there's nothing wrong with Falco, but Wolf was just a third semi-clone to throw into the mix. I'd be fine if he were removed.

Marth and Ike will both be in FE13 through DLC, if I'm not mistaken. And removing Marth would lose SSB4 about 20% of its potential buyers.

Dixie would be another clone. As if there aren't enough of those already!

If they bring back Mewtwo... That would be fine. They wouldn't even need to remove Lucario because the two of them are different enough.

Mach Rider would be weird, but possible I suppose. An Animal Crossing character would be completely ridiculous, and Isaac would be perfect.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999

Are you ****ing kidding me? People actually thought new characters won't be added?

Dixie would be another clone. As if there aren't enough of those already!
Cause clearly a random person on a website would know whether or not someone's gonna be a clone.

Darktega

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Darktega13
Is this seriously news?
Well, some people misunderstood what Sakurai said when he said he won't be expanding the rooster to the edge of the hell itself.

... But seriously, people, more than 10 years of this and some of you thought there won't be any new characters?

CaptainFalcon9000

Smash Ace
we need this guy

no seriously, after getting so damn more popular thanks to punch out wii he should be playable.

also i´m damn scared they might left out C. Falcon..........no they wouldn´t....even less when he saved samus *** and others in the subspace emissary mode, and he is one of the most popular chars "IN GAME"

Pappy

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, I don't see why we should take out characters that aren't clones. Taking out characters only succeeds in ticking people off. Hopefully we'll be adding characters instead of subtracting.
i don't know why people are still thinking that they are only adding characters. They clearly stated that they were not increasing the roster, that the number had reached its maximum capacity for the game (the game itself, not the game's size). They are bringing NEW characters AND bringing back old ones. Of the old ones there's 5 of them, but only 2 are viable choices to be brought back: Mewtwo and Roy. Add the possibility of those and even more new characters = a good number of current ones are going off the grid. I'm thinking that Sakurai will take this chance to finally clean out the roster of characters that not only aren't originally made for fighting, but are also hard to have a decent moveset made AND balanced. You know who that means? G&W, PokéTrainer, Ice Climbers, Zero Suit Samus, ROB, and Olimar. Especially Olimar! Sakurai also said he wants less clones and more unique movesets. That means Falco, Wolf, KingDDD, Lucas and Toon Link are likely to be taken out or severely modified. Don't hope for the impossible, characters WILL be taken out, but no matter how you don't like it, it's for the improvement of the game, competitive-wise.

CaptainFalcon9000

Smash Ace
i don't know why people are still thinking that they are only adding characters. They clearly stated that they were not increasing the roster, that the number had reached its maximum capacity for the game (the game itself, not the game's size). They are bringing NEW characters AND bringing back old ones. Of the old ones there's 5 of them, but only 2 are viable choices to be brought back: Mewtwo and Roy. Add the possibility of those and even more new characters = a good number of current ones are going off the grid. I'm thinking that Sakurai will take this chance to finally clean out the roster of characters that not only aren't originally made for fighting, but are also hard to have a decent moveset made AND balanced. You know who that means? G&W, PokéTrainer, Ice Climbers, Zero Suit Samus, ROB, and Olimar. Especially Olimar! Sakurai also said he wants less clones and more unique movesets. That means Falco, Wolf, KingDDD, Lucas and Toon Link are likely to be taken out or severely modified. Don't hope for the impossible, characters WILL be taken out, but no matter how you don't like it, it's for the improvement of the game, competitive-wise.
if they take out captain falcon japan can say it´s *** good bye, the guy´s too awesome to be taken out.

Sword_kirby777

Smash Cadet
Sakurai also said he wants less clones and more unique movesets. That means Falco, Wolf, KingDDD, Lucas and Toon Link are likely to be taken out or severely modified.
Wait...just how is King DeDeDe a clone? The only move that he has that's a "copy" is Inhale, and even then, the functionality is different. Nothing else DeDeDe has is a cloned move out of Kirby's moveset, if I'm right in guessing that you're saying that DeDeDe is a clone of Kirby.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
>> Take out Ice Climbers, Dedede, Olimar, G&W
>> Joined 2010

lol scrubs gonna keep on scrubbing

RvlvRBobcat

Smash Apprentice
they also need to revamp some movesets, at least give C. Falcon more priority in his attacks >_>
Rest assured, the Capn is one of the original 12. Sakurai wont touch the original 12 veterans. They are what made the game what it was, so the newer characters need to watch out more than the old.

CaptainFalcon9000

Smash Ace
Rest assured, the Capn is one of the original 12. Sakurai wont touch the original 12 veterans. They are what made the game what it was, so the newer characters need to watch out more than the old.
are you kidding me? had you seen how the new brawl chars were so damn overpowered compared to the original 12? seriously captain falcon got severely nerfed from melee to brawl, they really need to give him more priority in his attacks...

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
Yeah! We need Pacman!
JJ I hope that was a mistaken triple post but you should edit those.

Sakura has shown us how much he despises all clones (especially Mewtwo) as abominations against the laws of nature. Only Falco & Wizpigdorf escaped death due to fan intervention.

So I would expect Sakura's team to be dumb about this and cut at least half a dozen characters instead of improving them.

The only character I really do wish would go is pokemon trainer. The stamina mechanic completely failed and I would rather have the individual characters instead like in Project M.

Top Bottom