• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai and his own Kirby bias

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
Aaaaaaaaaaand that's wrong. I loved the super abilities and friend pedestal.
Super Abilities in returns were lit, they made the final boss. The Robot armory was also really cool, giving Kirby a stinger variant on his own pre-established moves while adding variety to a soon to be tired formula.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I'm pretty sure that Hypernova and the Robobot Armor were well received as they add to the gameplay on another level. Friend pedestals on the other hand are a detriment because they take away control from you.

I doubt that stuff like that was forced on the developers by Nintendo, but it was a decision made by the developers.
As far as I know, most people hated hypernova and it's often called "cutscene" because you just press a button and stuff happens automatically. Personally, Triple Deluxe is my favorite modern game and I have no problem with that, but I know that Hypernova is commonly hated by a big part of the fanbase.
And yes, I was generalizing by saying "everyone", but I have read many criticism toward all of those gimmicks over the years. Some people may like some of them and dislike others, but they have an overall mixed reception.

I think I have read something about the gimmicks being added for advertising reasons in the past, but since I can't find it now I can't prove that.

While I kind of understand the first point, second and third points seem arbitrary and silly.
I continue to think that's silly to criticize something that's purely personal tastes.

I don't like that stuff, I don't need to explain why (though I did it anyway).
I liked the menu in Meteos because it was simple. Also, it allowed you to move the buttons freely and that was a cool experimental feature similar to how Melee let you move the camera with the C stick. Though that style of menues got old very fast for me, I'm just tired of seeing them. Kirby kinda use similar menues at times, but I like those better for some reason, probably simplicity is the key factor, or those fancy icons, I don't know.

And you are making a stretch by comparing Sakurai design choices to RPG elements. At least this doesn't apply to Superstar, except for that one boss fight.
No, in fact it wasn't refered to Superstar. There are many factors that make me think he likes RPGs more than platformers. One of those is the amount of effort he and his team put into representing RPG series compared to platforming series in Smash (especially the not-mario ones).
Also, I remember that he stated several times that he played and enjoyed RPG games. Part of that may be for marketing (I enjoyed Persona, Joker is the next DLC, he's cool), but I think he also just likes RPGs in general, at least it seems so to me. Can't say the same about platformers though.
I said this is all speculation because it is, I'm not sure unless someone asked to him personally.

You can't call your post 'evidence' when you are admitting right off the bat that it is speculation.
Yes I can, because evidence is no proof, evidence is just what I'm basing my speculation on, and it means something that's apparent, not a fact.
Speculation itself is theory built on evidence.

And fun fact about Uprising is that Sakurai probably wasn't the one who came up with idea to turn the game into a shooter/hack&slash hybrid because Nintendo originally contracted Factor 5 to work on a Kid Icarus revival. That's right, the guys who made a bunch Star Wars shooting games were initially called to handle the franchise and they tossed around a lot of ideas that were more radical than what Sora came up with. Several Factor 5 games have flight combat similar to the one found in Uprising. It didn't get past the prototype stage.
The project was later handed to Sakurai, and you can definitely see that some of those ideas from Factor 5 made it in.
That's the version I knew

In 2008, there were rumors of a three-dimensional Kid Icarus game for the Wii that was allegedly developed by the German American studio Factor 5.[51] However, the title was said to be in production without the approval of Nintendo, and Factor 5 cancelled multiple projects following the closure of its American branch in early 2009.
I knew that they wanted to work on Kid Icarus and sent some concepts to Nintendo, but Nintendo refused to approve those. I don't know which version is the most accurate, but I remember this version from when the news came out many years ago.

Last edited:

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
I liked the menu in Meteos because it was simple. Also, it allowed you to move the buttons freely and that was a cool experimental feature similar to how Melee let you move the camera with the C stick. Though that style of menues got old very fast for me, I'm just tired of seeing them. Kirby kinda use similar menues at times, but I like those better for some reason, probably simplicity is the key factor, or those fancy icons, I don't know.
Umm... what do you even mean. I’m sorry, but I don’t see what sets the Sakurai title main menus apart from Meteos with the exception of the original Super Star and Smash Wii U. Everything in his games are perfectly organized into categories just like Meteos, especially in Brawl which had a very lined up design in comparison to Meteos’s everything all over the place instead of lined up. Even if you feel that the style has now become overused, that shouldn’t hurt Ultimate as the design was changed for portability purposes and now has huge icons that nicely organize everything. I also don’t get what you mean by the free button motions, I understand that you could move the camera in Melee, but was that really a big feature that would make or break a menu. It ultimately did nothing, so why have it.

No, in fact it wasn't refered to Superstar. There are many factors that make me think he likes RPGs more than platformers. One of those is the amount of effort he and his team put into representing RPG series compared to platforming series in Smash (especially the not-mario ones).
Also, I remember that he stated several times that he played and enjoyed RPG games. Part of that may be for marketing (I enjoyed Persona, Joker is the next DLC, he's cool), but I think he also just likes RPGs in general, at least it seems so to me. Can't say the same about platformers though.
I said this is all speculation because it is, I'm not sure unless someone asked to him personally.
Ummm.... This is just wrong, there are way more platform characters in smash than rpgs. I mean there are really only like three Nintendo rpgs in Smash as we have Pokemon, Xenoblade, and Mother. With the exception of Pokemon, which duh it’d have a ton of characters being the most recognizable brand in the world, the others just have 1-2 characters. Also, before you say it, no, Fire Emblem is not an RPG, it is a tactics game and the only game in Smash with that genre. Even if we were to compare 3rd party as you seem to want to, there would still be an imbalance in favor of platformers as we only have 2, 3 if Erdrik comes, compared to the four platformers held between Castlevania, Mega Man, Sonic, and Pac-Man.

Also, not to burst your bubble, but Castlevania is probably one of the best represented 3rd parties in Smash and that is a platformer.

Also what’s wrong with him liking RPGs, I may not be the biggest fan, but they do add quite a bit of variety to Smash and have their place. Mother is probably one of the most loved series in Smash, Pokemon is chalk full of interesting designs, and Xenoblade was a hidden gem on the Wii that most were very happy to see. Even 3rd parties are great as Joker will bring a very unique style to Smash, and Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest are pretty well known names in the gaming landscape to deserve representation.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Also what’s wrong with him liking RPGs.
Absolutely nothing, that's not my point. It's just a matter of preference.

Anyway, series such as Donkey Kong and Wario (Land) are very underrepresented (aside of K Rool, that was added only because the fans made a big noise).

Kirby is represented but, in a questionable way, and this is the whole point of this thread... and even Mario has its problems, like how Toad is still not in, and there isn't even a Bowser Castle level, most of the Mario stages are world 1-1 like environments.

Not to mention the discussion about the jump mechanics, and the fact that platforming challenges such as break the target, board the platform, and platforming in adventure modes are being slowly removed (unless 3.0 brings some of them back).

I just think that Sakurai prefering other genres over platformers may influence his decisions and may translate to less platformer-related content into his games.
That's why I'm concerned about that (as a fan of platformers in general).

Last edited:

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
Absolutely nothing, that's not my point. It's just a matter of preference.

Anyway, series such as Donkey Kong and Wario (Land) are very underrepresented (aside of K Rool, that was added only because the fans made a big noise).

Kirby is represented but, in a questionable way, and this is the whole point of this thread... and even Mario has its problems, like how Toad is still not in, and there isn't even a Bowser Castle level, most of the Mario stages are world 1-1 like environments.

Not to mention the discussion about the jump mechanics, and the fact that platforming challenges such as break the target, board the platform, and platforming in adventure modes are being slowly removed (unless 3.0 brings some of them back).

I just think that Sakurai prefering other genres over platformers may influence his decisions and may translate to less platformer-related content into his games.
That's why I'm concerned about that (as a fan of platformers in general).
To be fair, there’s good reason for all these things.

The lack of DK and Wario I feel are more Nintendo’s fault than Sakurai as Nintendo clearly replaced Wario Land with the WarioWare franchise. DK has been a mismanaged series for years since Rare left, so many characters excluding DK and Diddy had minor appearances and were rarely seen as big characters. I mean, K Rool himself took a 10 year absence since a Mario spin off, that should tell you how much of a priority K Rool was to Nintendo. Ultimately, Sakurai is just following Nintendo as they were the ones who really broke these two platforming series, Sakurai just stayed up to date.

As for the levels, I think we have the ones we do as to not spoil titles. Many of the games Smash creates stages for are modern, so Sakurai doesn’t want to risk spoiling the games for anyone, so he picks very early or advertisement heavy locations. That’s why you never see a Bowser’s castle, it may spoil a Mario title that is only a few years old as stupid as spoiling a Mario game sounds.

As for Toad not being in, I think it comes down to there not being much to work with. Until Captain Toad, Toad was always just another version of Mario or a shop keeper/ hostage. There really wasn’t much to work with and since Toad was kind of a generic NPC, I don’t think Sakurai felt the need to include him over more prominent Mario characters like Rosalina or Bowser Jr. Now a days, it is a little different since obviously Captain Toad and Toadette are very prominent and very distinct characters, but they probably didn’t make it as a result of Ultimate’s focus. Had Ultimate not brought every character back and focus on big fan requests, many agree that characters like Captain Toad or Bandana Waddle Dee would have made it, but Ultimate had different priorities and thus characters like them got left out.

As for the Smash modes, they still might be coming. There have been rumors and data mines showing that there were more platforming stages. A big leak even said that there was more stuff, but the testing team was behind, so Nintendo released the game without everything being complete, hoping to add it later. This rumor isn’t too odd as they did release content after the release of Kirby and Aces as those titles were clearly incomplete as well.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
As far as I know, most people hated hypernova and it's often called "cutscene" because you just press a button and stuff happens automatically.
but I know that Hypernova is commonly hated by a big part of the fanbase.
Source? Did you conduct a poll and did the results show a general disliking of Hypernova, or did you just read comments on the internet?

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I continue to think that's silly to criticize something that's purely personal tastes.
I don't think that. People aren't infallible. You are not perfect and neither am I.

If a viewpoint is contentious for very good reasons, others are free to call them out on that. Pointing out that arguing against a viewpoint is disrespectful is silly, because people use that as an excuse to shield indefendible beliefs.

Example time!
If I say,
-"I like chocolate ice cream more than vanilla", it would be silly to argue against this, because that is not a case of being right nor wrong but just leaning towards a preference.

But if say,
-"Game controllers are stupid and the whole industry should switch over to using touch pads exclusively", I would rightfully called out on that because I'm dissing on a convention that has proven itself to work well among players and designers, and there is the objective fact that for several forms of gameplay a controller is deemed superior over the touchpad.

Now, for far more extreme examples, I think that not every belief deserves to be respected.

Well, your initial sentiment was that they were "horrible and confusing menus" and that they were part of Sakurai's terrible design philosophies. This wasn't simply leaning towards a preference but it was inaccurately disregarding a valid design choice from an aesthetic and functional point of view. Instead, if you decided to say "I simply don't like them", we would just have saved ourselves the trouble.

Still, most menus in the video game history are a simple list that prompts the player to scroll up and down. Sakurai's menus are a refreshing take on that, so I'm puzzled as to how someone can get fed up with them at this point, when it's just a handful of games among millions. Wouldn't it be the other way around?
The irony of liking the Kirby menus over the Smash ones isn't lost in me either, when they are both similar in their simplicity, aesthetics and functionality.

That was... quite a turnaround. You went from discussing game design with RPG-like elements to roster additions and series representation. You can't blame us for being confused here since you are sending us mixed signals. You pretty much shifted the parameters of your post to convey a different idea.

I'll just say, yes, he likes RPGs like Fire Emblem.
But his games don't have that many design elements from RPGs.
Btw, Sakurai liked playing King of Fighters 95. There is a story about him wrecking a non-gamer couple at the arcade on that game. Do you know what this means?
Kyo Kusanagi is coming to Smash, baby!

That's the version I knew
Cool. I like Uprising better.
And it's good that they ended up doing something rather than leaving the series dead.

Last edited:

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
I'll just say, yes, he likes RPGs like Fire Emblem.
Umm, technically Fire Emblem isn’t an RPG as it lacks the turn based battles. It is considered a tactics games, so even if he was complaining about FE, it wouldn’t count towards Sakurai being biased towards RPGs.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Well, your initial sentiment was that they were "horrible and confusing menus" and that they were part of Sakurai's terrible design philosophies. This wasn't simply leaning towards a preference but it was inaccurately disregarding a valid design choice from an aesthetic and functional point of view. Instead, if you decided to say "I simply don't like them", we would just have saved ourselves the trouble.
I have nothing to add about the rest, but this is a bit inaccurate.

I think I specified that I dislike Sakurai's design philosopies, and I personally do.
Maybe I used some aggressive words, but I think I put enough emphasys on the word "dislike" more than once.

Keep in mind that the post you are refering to was written after reading that post of yours where you said all those nice things of me, and I was furious.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Umm, technically Fire Emblem isn’t an RPG as it lacks the turn based battles. It is considered a tactics games, so even if he was complaining about FE, it wouldn’t count towards Sakurai being biased towards RPGs.
It's more of a mix between an RPG (having different characters with different abilities) and turn-based strategy (for obvious reasons), but leaning more on the TBS side.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I liked hypernova.

I actually liked all the newer gimmicks.

Quillion

Smash Hero
You know, since people want Bandana Waddle Dee on the logic of him having a whole bunch of recurrent minor appearances, wouldn't GALACTA KNIGHT work a lot better since his recurring appearances have been more major than Dee?

Hell, pretty much every aspect Bandana Waddle Dee has going, Galacta Knight has even more. He's a modern Kirby icon, Galacta Knight is more important to the series than Dee because he appears as a major boss a lot of the time, he has a unique weapon in his jousting lance, and he has actually cool abilities unlike Dee.

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
You know, since people want Bandana Waddle Dee on the logic of him having a whole bunch of recurrent minor appearances, wouldn't GALACTA KNIGHT work a lot better since his recurring appearances have been more major than Dee?

Hell, pretty much every aspect Bandana Waddle Dee has going, Galacta Knight has even more. He's a modern Kirby icon, Galacta Knight is more important to the series than Dee because he appears as a major boss a lot of the time, he has a unique weapon in his jousting lance, and he has actually cool abilities unlike Dee.
There are a few things to keep in mind with Galacta Knight:

1 - Bandanna Dee still beats him in the apperencess department. Galacta Knight only appears in 6 games, of which 2 are minor cameos. Bandanna Dee, meanwhile, appears in 11 games, of which 2 could be considered minor cameos. Of these, Badanna Dee's been playable in 3, almost as many times as Galacta Knight has, a total of 4. I think playable is just enough that at least trumps Galacta Knight.

Even if that wasn't enough, Bandanna Dee's pause screen description for Star Allies considers him the representative of Waddle Dees as a whole, who might be the only character besides Kirby to appear in every Kirby game.

2 - Galacta Knight's cannocity is... odd. Thus far, he has only appeared in extra game modes (and Kirby Clash Deluxe), which have been stated to be "what-if" scenarios that haven't actually happened. This means that technically, Galacta Knight hasn't actually appeared in a Kirby game.

3 - Simply put, most people see Galacta Knight as clone fodder instead of an actual unique character. In every game Galacta Knight appears in, he uses moves copied from Meta Knight. Yes, despite having a lance, he uses it just like a sword! While he does have some original moves, most are typically seen as too strong to be used as a playable character, and ignores the fact that 3/4ths of Meta Knights special moves in Smash are moves Galacta Knight also uses.

1569211531227.png

This image from a Kirby fighting game sums up what people expect from Galacta Knight.

4 - Ever since Returns to Dreamland, Kirby, Dedede, Meta Knight, and Bandana Dee have been seen as a collective unit. Most people, including myself, tend to see him as the fourth major character in the franchise, with the only thing keeping him from being more iconic as the other members is that he hasn't been in the franchise as long as they have. When title screen for the anivserary collections looks like this:

1569212380851.png

Despite the character only appearing in small, easy to miss role in a single game, it's hard not to see Badanna Dee just as important as the others.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
I dunno. As the creator of Kirby it's fair to say that Sakurai is probably pretty pleased with the way the series is represented. Adjusting content to represent the more modern games in the franchise kind of feels like an afterthought when you consider how massive of an undertaking developing Ultimate's new content was. Development cycles are always a factor. I really just don't see Kirby as that underrepresented. Never forget that Metroid fans waited three games for more representation, and Mother fans are still holding onto two, whose move-sets widely exist outside of canon.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
1 - Bandanna Dee still beats him in the apperencess department. Galacta Knight only appears in 6 games, of which 2 are minor cameos. Bandanna Dee, meanwhile, appears in 11 games, of which 2 could be considered minor cameos. Of these, Badanna Dee's been playable in 3, almost as many times as Galacta Knight has, a total of 4. I think playable is just enough that at least trumps Galacta Knight.
Bandana Dee has been playable in 4 games.
Return to Dream Land (Wii)
Rainbow Curse (Wii U)
Battle Royale (3DS)
Star Allies (Switch)

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Rainbow Curse (Wii U)
Battle Royale (3DS)
Star Allies (Switch)
Technically he wasn't playable in Battle Royale.

But he's still very clearly more important than Galacta Knight, arguing otherwise is just dumb

D

Deleted member

Did you really just bump this thread to complain Bandanna Dee?

Quillion

Smash Hero
Rainbow Curse (Wii U)
Battle Royale (3DS)
Star Allies (Switch)
Only two of those are mainline games.

Galacta Knight is a major boss in KSSU, RTDL, and PR.

Did you really just bump this thread to complain Bandanna Dee?
No, I bumped the thread to promote Galacta Knight.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Only two of those are mainline games.

Galacta Knight is a major boss in KSSU, RTDL, and PR.
I'm not sure what you're trying to get at. I'm not saying Galacta Knight wouldn't be a good idea for a fighter, but he hasn't been playable and has been relegated only to non-canon appearances, putting him in the same boat as Waluigi except with way less games under his belt. Compare this to Bandana Dee who has been playable thrice (forgive my mistake in an earlier post) and has been in more games to begin with, or Marx who has been playable once (still more than GK) and has been one of the series' most famous bosses, for way longer than GK has too.

What I mean is, considering the history of Kirby's character lineup, Galacta Knight wouldn't be the ideal choice in my opinion. Although he would still be a cool and awesome fighter.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
I'm not sure what you're trying to get at. I'm not saying Galacta Knight wouldn't be a good idea for a fighter, but he hasn't been playable and has been relegated only to non-canon appearances, putting him in the same boat as Waluigi except with way less games under his belt. Compare this to Bandana Dee who has been playable thrice (forgive my mistake in an earlier post) and has been in more games to begin with, or Marx who has been playable once (still more than GK) and has been one of the series' most famous bosses, for way longer than GK has too.

What I mean is, considering the history of Kirby's character lineup, Galacta Knight wouldn't be the ideal choice in my opinion. Although he would still be a cool and awesome fighter.
You're prioritizing quantity over quality. Bandana Dee makes a lot of appearances, but most of them are minor and in spinoff games at that.

Galacta Knight appears in more mainline games as a major boss than Bandana Dee does in mainline games as a playable character. The fact that he's in "alternate stories" does not matter.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
You're prioritizing quantity over quality. Bandana Dee makes a lot of appearances, but most of them are minor and in spinoff games at that.

Galacta Knight appears in more mainline games as a major boss than Bandana Dee does in mainline games as a playable character. The fact that he's in "alternate stories" does not matter.
So explain to me how three playable appearances is more major than a handful of non-canonical secret boss fights. You say that "alternate stories" don't matter, but they certainly seem to matter considering he's usually regulated to secret appearances and cameos. I'm not sure what logic you're using but it's obviously flawed. You're saying that appearing in "minor" games makes Dee less important, but Galacta Knight appearing in non-canonical cameos is what matters? Dude, listen to what you're saying, say it out loud, and then think it over. Both of them have minor appearances and cameos. The game they're in matters not. I'd argue it's how important they are to that game is what matters more, and Galacta Knight has never been the final boss or major story element of any Kirby game, save the recent Kirby Clash game on the Switch, which is by your apparent standards, minor.

Quillion

Smash Hero
So explain to me how three playable appearances is more major than a handful of non-canonical secret boss fights. You say that "alternate stories" don't matter, but they certainly seem to matter considering he's usually regulated to secret appearances and cameos. I'm not sure what logic you're using but it's obviously flawed. You're saying that appearing in "minor" games makes Dee less important, but Galacta Knight appearing in non-canonical cameos is what matters? Dude, listen to what you're saying, say it out loud, and then think it over. Both of them have minor appearances and cameos. The game they're in matters not. I'd argue it's how important they are to that game is what matters more, and Galacta Knight has never been the final boss or major story element of any Kirby game, save the recent Kirby Clash game on the Switch, which is by your apparent standards, minor.
Again, out of Dee's three playable appearances, only RTDL and SA are mainline. The latter isn't even that special since he's only one of many dream friends.

Galacta Knight is a recurring boss that has appeared in SSU, RTDL, and PR.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Can we please drop this debate? Bandana Dee is more important in his minor appearances than Galacta Knight in his "major" appearances. End of discussion.
You know what? Okay. Maybe being playable makes him more important than Galacta Knight, I can see things there.

This thread is about ways that modern Kirby is being ignored and how it can be better showcased. It's just that despite HAL clearly pushing Galacta Knight alongside Bandana Dee as the most recurrent modern Kirby icons, GK doesn't seem to be discussed a lot despite having relevance and actually interesting abilities, while Bandana Dee only really has relevance.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
You know what? Okay. Maybe being playable makes him more important than Galacta Knight, I can see things there.

This thread is about ways that modern Kirby is being ignored and how it can be better showcased. It's just that despite HAL clearly pushing Galacta Knight alongside Bandana Dee as the most recurrent modern Kirby icons, GK doesn't seem to be discussed a lot despite having relevance and actually interesting abilities, while Bandana Dee only really has relevance.
Spear copter is one of the coolest things into the franchise, you take that back.

And Galacta Knight isn't talked much because he's just a bonus boss, he shows up, you fight him, and he goes away. That's the extent of his presence in the franchise.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Spear copter is one of the coolest things into the franchise, you take that back.

And Galacta Knight isn't talked much because he's just a bonus boss, he shows up, you fight him, and he goes away. That's the extent of his presence in the franchise.
Which is sad because GK has arguably the most potential for a great spinoff than any other character in the game.

He's literally some intergalactic warrior who was locked away because he had the power to destroy planets. He can only be summoned by an even greater power. That literally shouts spinoff and lore.

Quillion

Smash Hero
And yet Bandana Dee was only a main character for one main series game (RTDL), and only one of many Dream Friends in Star Allies. All of his other appearances were more of like what Impa is to Zelda, who NO ONE wants to be playable in Smash.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
And yet Bandana Dee was only a main character for one main series game (RTDL), and only one of many Dream Friends in Star Allies. All of his other appearances were more of like what Impa is to Zelda, who NO ONE wants to be playable in Smash.
Well, that’s incredibly rude. Lots of people want Impa in Smash.
You want to call these people “No one”?

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
  • Bandana Dee still has more playable appearances than GK. He is also canon, whereas Galacta Knight has yet to actually be canon.
  • Lots of people, including myself, would like to see Impa in Smash. Saying no one wants her in the game is ridiculous.
Do you actually think and read over your messages before you post them or do you simply throw out everything that comes to mind?

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I mean its pretty obvious Sakurai has a Bias for his Kirby Games i mean Airide got Remixes, 3 Songs and a Item while Star Allies (Damn STAR ALLIES!!!!) gets 1 Spirit and 1 Music Track!

1FC0

Smash Lord
Supposedly his bias is solely towards old Kirby games because he did not make the newer ones.

Otoad64

Smash Lord
that's the main reason why I want bandana dee as DLC, then he would pretty much have to add modern kirby stuff! The other reason is because kirby should have more characters and he's the last of the main four kirby characters

Quillion

Smash Hero
that's the main reason why I want bandana dee as DLC, then he would pretty much have to add modern kirby stuff! The other reason is because kirby should have more characters and he's the last of the main four kirby characters
Bandana Dee is just boring though; he's just a basic weapon wielder. More interesting potential characters like Marx, Susie, and Magolor are one-shots, Star Allies aside.

That's why I prefer Galacta Knight. He's recurring and has exciting abilities.

Otoad64

Smash Lord
Bandana Dee is just boring though; he's just a basic weapon wielder. More interesting potential characters like Marx, Susie, and Magolor are one-shots, Star Allies aside.

That's why I prefer Galacta Knight. He's recurring and has exciting abilities.
bandana dee can use a parasol and a beam wand though. and he has other ailties like the waddlecopter, galacta would be better as a boss imo, and magolor isn't a one-shot (at least counting spinoffs)

Quillion

Smash Hero
bandana dee can use a parasol and a beam wand though. and he has other ailties like the waddlecopter, galacta would be better as a boss imo, and magolor isn't a one-shot (at least counting spinoffs)
Beam wand is not faithful to his character (unless you want a Ganondorf/ZSS situation), and a parasol would look awkward in conjunction with his spear.

And Galacta Knight is too small to be a boss in Smash.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I don't care who the modern Kirby rep is, though IMO Magolor would work a lot better to represent the modern side of the franchise.

Though, while I agree that modern Kirby needs some more representation, I also think that the Dark Matter trilogy also needs it... it's an important part of the franchise too and their characters have been very influential through the series in subsequent games, both directly and indirectly. Adeleine, Dark Matter, Rick Kine and Coo or Gooey, wathever, at least one of them should be in the game as well, along with a stage representing some Dark Matter trilogy's iconic location (Coo's forset or the autumn forest from K64, K64 Factory, Ripple Star castle, Hyper Zone/Dark Star, anything like that).

Honestly I don't really care if a character is one off or has one hundred of comebacks, as long as a character is iconic enough and has potential it would make sense anyway. Character's relevance is not everything: else Toad, Peppy and Slippy would be in the roster already (we got many other less important Mario characters already and there's a chance Krystal will be in the roster before Peppy and Slippy simply for being more unique).

and a beam wand
that never happend outside of Smash Flash that's a fangame, not official. If you are referring to Kirby 64 when that Waddle Dee was transformed by Dark Matter into a Waddle Doo, it's definitely not the same thing and it was a very specific exception; still didn't use the wand, he summoned beams directly from his big eye since he was an actual Waddle Doo.

Otoad64

Smash Lord
I don't care who the modern Kirby rep is, though IMO Magolor would work a lot better to represent the modern side of the franchise.

Though, while I agree that modern Kirby needs some more representation, I also think that the Dark Matter trilogy also needs it... it's an important part of the franchise too and their characters have been very influential through the series in subsequent games, both directly and indirectly. Adeleine, Dark Matter, Rick Kine and Coo or Gooey, wathever, at least one of them should be in the game as well, along with a stage representing some Dark Matter trilogy's iconic location (Coo's forset or the autumn forest from K64, K64 Factory, Ripple Star castle, Hyper Zone/Dark Star, anything like that).

Honestly I don't really care if a character is one off or has one hundred of comebacks, as long as a character is iconic enough and has potential it would make sense anyway. Character's relevance is not everything: else Toad, Peppy and Slippy would be in the roster already (we got many other less important Mario characters already and there's a chance Krystal will be in the roster before Peppy and Slippy simply for being more unique).

that never happend outside of Smash Flash that's a fangame, not official. If you are referring to Kirby 64 when that Waddle Dee was transformed by Dark Matter into a Waddle Doo, it's definitely not the same thing and it was a very specific exception; still didn't use the wand, he summoned beams directly from his big eye since he was an actual Waddle Doo.
I think that after bandana dee dark matter should be the 5th kirby rep, as for the beam wand even though he never used it I thin it still makes sense because waddle doos are also part of the "waddle" family. I get why some people think magolor would represent modern kirby better but bandana dee is more of a main character, it be like if the only mario characters were mario, peach and bowser and for the 4th character instead of luigi we got nabbit

Quillion

Smash Hero
Honestly I don't really care if a character is one off or has one hundred of comebacks, as long as a character is iconic enough and has potential it would make sense anyway.
As I said here, we're a bit short on characters that are BOTH iconic and have potential for uniqueness, at least on the first party side. It makes it hard to justify adding further characters to existing series in Smash.

Top Bottom