• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Safe Ways of Killing?

tlm6403

Smash Rookie
For the past few weeks I've been practicing with Duck Hunt. Although he's not a fantastic character, I know that he does have some potential. In my time of playing Duck Hunt, building up percent is a breeze, but as soon as I get the opponent to higher percents, I have absolutely no clue how to kill the opponent safely. I know that Duck Hunt can shoot the can into an u-air, spike with d-air if lucky, and kill with the can/u-tilt at higher percents, but that's about it. I find that his smash attacks are unreliable and really unsafe, which has cost me the game a few times, and none of his throws possess enough kill power to be used in a match.

So in short, are there any kill moves/set-ups that I've missed? It'd be great if someone could let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Perris6

Smash Journeyman
There aren't any so called safe options to kill, they all kind of rely on reads. Yes bair can to up air catch is very reliable. Also try throw into can setups. Position the can somewhere where you can grab and toss your opponent into. Watch Yusan for both of these setups.
Also offstage is where you can find safer options. Once offstage you can bair can to stage spike, gunman to gimp, or just regular can to potentially kill.

Floatzel_Trainer

Smash Rookie
NNID
OZN-Fer
3DS FC
1075-0840-3464
What I like to do is to setup a gunman, and react to the oponent behavior. If they stay on shield, I usually throw a gunman and fall with a nair, so just between the nair landing lag, the gunman shoots and keeps the shield pressure so I can get a grab, or even a smash attack with his weakened shield.

But usually, I get kills when I setup the frisbee and then I follow the oponent's DI. If he DI's in, I land an Uair, or a Nair if he DI's out. But is kinda unsafe to just throw the side B, so you must cover the stage with the can and the gunman as efficient as possible.

Also you can trick the oponent with some can setups. My personal favorite is using the jab multihit so the finishing hit comboes with a previously shot can midair. It can kill kinda consistently, but is kinda hard to setup. Another one is when you setup the can so it comes towards you when you press B, so you throw the oponent to the can, and the explosion will bring back your oponent and you can combo the explosion with any aerial.

And after 140% + a bit of rage, Uptilt will kill, just have it in mind for covering different situations.

chaos11011

Smash Lord
NNID
IDSeason
Frame traps are Duck Hunt's most reliable way of killing. Put the opponent in the air, throw a can in their way to force them to air dodge. Once they do, UAir, BAir or NAir for the kill, depending on what is best for the situation. With practice, you'll always be able to catch the air dodge right after it ends and guarantee kills, sort of like how most characters like Shiek and Rosa use air dodge reads to kill. Except, you don't need a read. If you put a can in their area and if they expended their jumps/burst movement options, they're forced to air dodge the can and you secure a stock regardless.

Last edited:

Perris6

Smash Journeyman
Frame traps are Duck Hunt's most reliable way of killing. Put the opponent in the air, throw a can in their way to force them to air dodge. Once they do, UAir, BAir or NAir for the kill, depending on what is best for the situation. With practice, you'll always be able to catch the air dodge right after it ends and guarantee kills, sort of like how most characters like Shiek and Rosa use air dodge reads to kill. Except, you don't need a read. If you put a can in their area and if they expended their jumps/burst movement options, they're forced to air dodge the can and you secure a stock regardless.
Are you in the discord group? If not join Lol

TheQTpie

Smash Cadet
NNID
Qu1nn9250
I also find that punishing ledge get ups lead to a lot of kills for me. If you set up the can right next to the ledge it can cover regular get up and ledge jump (if you can react fast enough), then you position yourself in range of their ledge roll and can up tilt/nair for the kill. The only option they have to counter this if set up properly is get up attack which can be punished with a grab, which you can then throw them off stage and re set up

Top Bottom