• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Safe grounded pokes using Special Cancel

JohanVonBronx

Smash Apprentice
So as most of you are aware, you can cancel some grounded moves into Ryu's Specials if you land the hit either on the opponent or on their shield. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately for the opponent) not all grounded moves can be cancelled into specials. But the ones that you CAN do, (there might be more but as far as i know this is the notable ones) are Ldtilt, Hdtilt, Lutilt, Hutilt, and Ljab. The rest will still keep their normal endlag from what I've tested.

So both dtilts are good, especially Ldtilt as it's fairly unpunishable if done fast enough while they're shielding. So that one may not get as much use in terms of cancelling.
But Hdtilt has more range of course, which means you can poke once or twice at a small distance away and cancel into either Focus Attack or Hadouken (negative edge makes cancelling Hdtilt into Hadouken super easy) if they try to answer back with an attack. And if they're shielding then they actually give you slightly more range to work with because of the shield size. Although, I'm fairly you can still be grabbed before being able to dash cancel backwards out of FA or get out of Hadouken endlag. I can't say for sure cause it's hard testing by yourself with two controllers. And it'll vary from character to character.
The only other tilt imo worth utilizing the cancel for is Hutilt. And that's cause of the shield damage and the deceptive range it has.

Hooded actually posted a video showing this (just shows FA)
It's the very first tech he shows in the video.

As I said at the beginning I'm very sure most Ryu players already know this, so the point of this post was to just ask why isn't this used more often. Considering our aerials are not going to always be the best answer for shield and we don't exactly have a good grab range.

milkmafiamaster

Smash Cadet
NNID
milkmafiamaster
I use Ryu as a secondary so I actually didnt know this. Thanks for the info

CascadedVolcano

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4012-5046-9617
Hdtilt can cancel into true shoryuken which can lead to earlier kills with Ryu. I haven't tested it to know which characters it works on but I know it works on Sheik

Top Bottom