• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

S E T U P S Q U A D

SDMagic

Smash Rookie
Something almost unique to Toon Link is the ability to set up all sorts of pressure situations using his lasting projectiles. This thread is for posting your favorite setups, discussing setups, and exploring new setup possibilities. If this thread begins to get longer than a page I'll start grouping together setups in the OP (citing who gave it of course) for easy access.

One of my favorite setups so far has been the extremely simple one of throwing the boomerang away from the opponent then run, roll, or jump through them to force 'em to have to react. If I can read right it's quick and easy % and the possibility of additional pressure followups.

Yojimbosan

Smash Cadet
NNID
Yojimbosan
Anytime you throw a bomb straight up then up tilt, bomb hits and a follow with an aerial for a KO. The thing I like about Toon Link is sometimes you don't have to plan out the set ups, they just flow together naturally.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
One of my favorite set ups that I've been able to perform very rarely is to, while holding a bomb, throw Toon Link's boomerang at the opponent and if it connects full hop and throw the bomb at them before double jumping and hitting the opponent with his forward air. I think that one is pretty neat.

genandnic

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1177-6683-5828
If you have a boomerang returning from the far side of the stage, grab the opponent and pummel until they break free. If timed correctly, the boomerang will hit them back towards you upon release, straight into Toon Link's up-smash. Not only do you get the maximum number of pummels in, you also get additional percent in with the boomerang and smash than you would with just a throw. It's very satisfying to pull off.

delcamex

Smash Rookie
When your opponent starts to notice your strategy os spamming projectiles, they start to shield everything, so you can just use that to your advantage and grab it, works awesome when they start to notice the returning boomerang.

Kleric

Smash Cadet
NNID
MrOrdun
One of my favorite set ups that I've been able to perform very rarely is to, while holding a bomb, throw Toon Link's boomerang at the opponent and if it connects full hop and throw the bomb at them before double jumping and hitting the opponent with his forward air. I think that one is pretty neat.
Oh hey! That was one of the first combos I learned. (:
Very satisfying to do.

I've only been able to do this one twice in a real match, and I think It was only with two bombs... but still satisfying.
When the opponent is coming back to the stage I:
  • Pull out a bomb
  • Double jump back just a little bit
  • Throw the bomb towards them
  • Pull out another bomb while falling
  • throw that towards them while on the ground
  • Pull out one more bomb
  • Throw that one towards them even closer to the edge
  • Then F-Air them.
This is a combo if you can throw each bomb at the right distance and angle; since the following bomb is closer to the opponent each time it makes up for the time it took to pull them out so long as the 1st bomb hits. In addition if the bombs hit them right they'll be launched up and towards the stage leaving them close to you and vulnerable for what may be a finishing F-Air. :)

I like to get people offstage with my projectiles, catch their double jump with a boomerang (If recovering low) or an arrow (If at stage height) then chucking a bomb off stage to catch their recovery then fast falling down with a Fair

JesterJaded

Smash Journeyman
In theory:

You Fair your opponent offstage but don't seal the kill. Stand at the ledge and use up-thrown bombs / pressure them to recover low. With proper spacing, run offstage to bait their recovery option (ex. Vanish), double jump out of range, then Bair the ledge along with your bombs to try and catch the 1-frame vulnerability for a stage spike with either Bomb or Bair.

In theory:

You Fair your opponent offstage but don't seal the kill. Stand at the ledge and use up-thrown bombs / pressure them to recover low. With proper spacing, run offstage to bait their recovery option (ex. Vanish), double jump out of range, then Bair the ledge along with your bombs to try and catch the 1-frame vulnerability for a stage spike with either Bomb or Bair.
I was talking about at kill percent but that is a good idea too, also its 2 frames of vulnerability, not 1. Idk if I can post links or anything but search it up from Trifroze on youtube

JesterJaded

Smash Journeyman
I was talking about at kill percent but that is a good idea too, also its 2 frames of vulnerability, not 1. Idk if I can post links or anything but search it up from Trifroze on youtube
2 frames, really? I hope that's true. I haven't done much lab work on the snap vulnerability frames, but I'll definitely test more setups now with other characters as well.

Another edgeguarding theory: same situation, you Fair them offstage. Throw a bomb up approximately where they'd be if they rolled onstage, then at the ledge. Pressure to recover low, then jump backwards off the stage, bait their recovery and go for a tether ledge trump. If it works, Bair to kill, or reset the edgeguard opportunity. If they mash their recovery option, both rolling and jumping could be covered by bomb, so both will be opportunities to bomb > Fair / Uair / Usmash. If they use the regular get-up, they'll still have a bomb dropping down on them. It's a lot of players' habit to shield after regular get-up, especially against bombs, so predicting this is a Bthrow at the stage edge opportunity.

Last edited:
Top Bottom