• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ryu's worst matchups

Guide Ryu's worst matchups

Kid Alchemy

Smash Rookie
Kid Alchemy submitted a new guide:

Ryu's worst matchups - A list of Ryu's 10 worst matchups and

What's up everybody. I'm here to give you a run down of Ryu's 10 worst matchups. It took me a while to compile this list due to having to do a good amount of research and also ask the opinions of several smash players. To make this list I used observation of tournament matches, players' opinions(including my own), and a rating system where I rated characters on a scale of 1-5 in 7 areas of their ability to: Approach Ryu, space out Ryu, survive against Ryu(weight), exploit Ryu's recovery,kill...
Read more about this guide...

Kid Alchemy

Smash Rookie
While Kirby has two multihit moves in fair and dair and he can crouch under hadokens he lacks the ground and air speed to approach Ryu effectively and he doesn't have the tools to keep Ryu away. Plus Kirby dies early against Ryu while also lacking reliable means of killing him

kendikong

Smash Journeyman
While Kirby has two multihit moves in fair and dair and he can crouch under hadokens he lacks the ground and air speed to approach Ryu effectively and he doesn't have the tools to keep Ryu away. Plus Kirby dies early against Ryu while also lacking reliable means of killing him
Crouch also bypasses dash attack, jab, strong jab, ftilt, utilt, Fsmash, and focus attack (and possibly grab?), limiting Ryu quite a bit.

Last edited:

Kid Alchemy

Smash Rookie
I see where you're coming from. But Kirby's neutral just isn't good enough to actually present a threat to Ryu. Kirby is more so of an annoyance. Plus Kirby's crouch doesn't beat dtilt or Ryu's aerials which are safe on shield and can lead to him going into weak tilts on Kirby's shield that can lead to strong ftilt which breaks shields.

QuantumEntanglement

Smash Rookie
Sonic is perhaps the most frustrating for me. Unless you're dealing with a super-aggressive player (as in, doesn't know the matchup), pinning a Sonic down can be a nightmare. Best luck I've had in dealing with Spin Dash is just trying to get close enough for a grab, because Shakunetsu tends to go over his head and EX Hadouken has about a 50/50 chance of hitting. Even then, not much you can get off a grab what with Spring Jump and all.

xX_01dxBo0Z3r_Xx

Banned via Warnings
personally i think boozer and k rool are his hardest match ups. bozer can zer oto death yu easily with his side b grab while k rool can remove you from the gam with his barrel canon. but thats just my opinion.

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
Kinda surprised you left Bayonetta out since she is typically considered to be a fairly bad MU for Ryu,

Witch Twist was basically made to negate all of Ryu's FA shenanigans. She combos and edgeguards him pretty hard and can keep him out somewhat and rack up damage with Bullet Arts

Top Bottom