• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ryu's hardest matchups

smash alpha

Smash Rookie
Hi guys, smash alpha here, again xd I'm looking to make a guide on Ryu's 5 hardest matchups and would like people's opinions on the matter. While Ryu is a pretty balanced character he does have matchups that are particularly not in his favor but still not unwinnable. So what I'm asking is for people to name characters they believe Ryu has a hard time against and tell why you believe so.

CStream

Smash Rookie
Sonic, he's annoying more so than bad. Since he typically plays a hit and run style Ryu can't really catch up, not to mention that spring can interrupt combos sometimes and also interfere with recovery. Pikachu, he's tiny, has a good projectile, fast, and combos against Ryu well since Ryu is large and heavy. Villager, he is able to establish a wall of projectiles consisting of lloyd rocket, and slingshot. He also has a fast nair, bowling ball offstage, and a multi hit up smash to catch landings. I've heard Megaman, but I haven't fought any good ones so idk. I assume it would be for similar reasons compared to villager, the difference though is that megaman is combo food. This is all I can think of, but there is the Ryu discord if you want to get more opinions from more Ryu players as for how his MU spread is

smash alpha

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the info. I would agree on the pikachu and megaman matchups. Pikachu has a good number of multi hit moves to beat focus attack and can both space and approach easily making it difficult to keep up as Ryu. Megaman is a pest to anyone if in the hands of a good player. I live in Georgia and we have a well known Megaman Scatt. Sonic doesn't bother me much since hadoken can hault his spin dash and his only multi hit move is fair. And villager is dealt with patience, power shielding, and and mixing up how you deal with his projectiles. But thanks for the input, will write it down for the guide

Top Bottom