• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ryu Hitbox Visualization

Furil

Smash Apprentice
Smash 4 hitboxes are interpolated, so imagine a line between a hitbox's current position and it's last. It hits that area too.
Example: http://i.imgur.com/wEBKNpI.gif

There are potentially bugs in any of these, so let me know if you notice anything particuarly off and I'll check. There have been instances of weird hitboxes that ended up being a bug.

Are the hitboxes different on any of the specials besides Shoryuken?

Mini-FAQ:
Q: How did you make these?
A: I made a parser for animcmd commands and applied it to the model and animation from the 3DS version of the game.

Q: Can you do hurtboxes?
A: Not yet

Q: These don't look like the quality of the Wii U models, why?
A: These are 3DS models (and data). There isn't a difference in frame data between Wii U and 3DS.

Q: This attack looks wrong, is this actually correct?
A: Let me know which one and I'll check. It's possible for a bug or two to mess up stuff.

Q: The image isn't playing.
A: There are play, reverse, and frame advance buttons under the images. They may be hard to see.

Q: Can I use these for my guide?
A: Yes.

Thank you

Last edited:

-Tornado-

Smash Apprentice
NNID
I_Beat_You
Oh man I have waited for this, thank you.
(This is gonna be great)
EDIT: And holy wow, Ryu's u-air is huge

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
These are very nice! Good work Furil Furil !

Though, I think you may have lost the footage of the Specials and accidently duplicated footage of frame date from Lucas on to them. Happens to me sometimes. Nevertheless, great job.

JosePollo

Smash Journeyman
Them specials, tho.

But holy s*** some of these hitboxes are ridiculous. A whole bunch of range for absolutely no reason. Weak up tilt, strong down tilt, back air, and up air all stand out.

Last edited:

Castell

Smash Rookie
NNID
Castell
3DS FC
5172-2314-1551
What I'm taking from this:

-Dash attack is ASS.
-Intagibility on weak-ftilt is around thigh area.
-uptilt the god. Makes hitting Sheiks/Marios flipping all over the place easier to hit with Ryu's slow legs.
-Nair hitbox is on the knee, not the hand.
-Bair the second god.
-Dair spike hitbox is on the fist. Yet I keep missing those.
-Upair is ridiculously huge but I remember an ingame tip actually saying that.

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
Are the green hitboxes on his strong up tilt intangibility frames?

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
This just proves once and for all that Ryu is a GROUND based character overall. All his ground pokes have nice hitboxes. Bair is his best SH aerial poke clearly. Fair isn't big it just lingers and hurts when it hits.

Dash attack is garbage, as I have known since day 1. I think I am the only Ryu player that NEVER uses this move.

Seriously guys, stop using it. It ****ing SUCKS.

-Tornado-

Smash Apprentice
NNID
I_Beat_You
If I'm seeing this right, does a reversed FA have a larger hitbox than a normal one? (Also, I swear an aerial FA has a larger hitbox...)

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
If I'm seeing this right, does a reversed FA have a larger hitbox than a normal one? (Also, I swear an aerial FA has a larger hitbox...)
Yes, it looks like a reversed FA has a larger hitbox than the normal one.

JohanVonBronx

Smash Apprentice
This just proves once and for all that Ryu is a GROUND based character overall. All his ground pokes have nice hitboxes. Bair is his best SH aerial poke clearly. Fair isn't big it just lingers and hurts when it hits.

Dash attack is garbage, as I have known since day 1. I think I am the only Ryu player that NEVER uses this move.

Seriously guys, stop using it. It ****ing SUCKS.
So does that mean I should use FA on the ground more for baiting? I usually do it in the air a lot for baiting. I mean a mix both is good I imagine but i very rarely use it on the ground for baiting. Though I am newer to Ryu.

DisidisiD

Smash Journeyman
I'm a bit confused with that last tatsu one. Are there actually periods of time where there are no hitboxes? Isn't there a hitbox on his body? Also, why is it only showing invincibility/intangibility (I'm not sure which it is showing he has) on ryu's arm while he is doing shoryu rather than on his whole body?

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Tatsu I'm pretty positive the hitbox is ONLY on his leg. Which is how it is in Street Fighter sooooooooooooooooooooo yea.

Glitchy_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nintend0pr0
Thanks for doing this visualisation!
1. What do those Green spots mean?
2. The last clip is a Lucas Up-B... Is this supposed to be this way?

JosePollo

Smash Journeyman
Hmm... the more I see these hitboxes the more I realize they're not as ridiculous in-game as they look in gifs (except for bair, that move is still ********--a foot-based move shouldn't make contact with Kirby's down b and come out unscathed). Most other brawler characters have stretching appendages to make up for their strange proportions (since without expanding hurtboxes their hitboxes would be pretty damn tiny if they were to match their proportions) but since Ryu is pretty accurately humanoid and his animations are accurately as human (tatsumaki aside), giving him proportional hitboxes would leave him with some pretty terrible range.

Graphic effects aside, however, the hitbox on Focus Attack is still absolutely stupid.

Thanks for doing this visualisation!
1. What do those Green spots mean?
2. The last clip is a Lucas Up-B... Is this supposed to be this way?
It means the bones (parts of the character's hurtbox) that are lit up are intangible (can't be interacted with). For strong up tilt, for example, the six bones seem to be his head, neck, shoulders, and arms. His entire upper body basically, which makes it a pretty potent anti-air since you can throw an attack at him, but if he times the up tilt properly (meaning he's intangible by the time you attempt to hit him, and with frame 4--that's a 15th of a second--intangibility it's not too hard) your hitboxes will simply go through his body while he counters with his own attack.

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Hmm... the more I see these hitboxes the more I realize they're not as ridiculous in-game as they look in gifs (except for bair, that move is still ********--a foot-based move shouldn't make contact with Kirby's down b and come out unscathed). Most other brawler characters have stretching appendages to make up for their strange proportions (since without expanding hurtboxes their hitboxes would be pretty damn tiny if they were to match their proportions) but since Ryu is pretty accurately humanoid and his animations are accurately as human (tatsumaki aside), giving him proportional hitboxes would leave him with some pretty terrible range.

Graphic effects aside, however, the hitbox on Focus Attack is still absolutely stupid.

It means the bones (parts of the character's hurtbox) that are lit up are intangible (can't be interacted with). For strong up tilt, for example, the six bones seem to be his head, neck, shoulders, and arms. His entire upper body basically, which makes it a pretty potent anti-air since you can throw an attack at him, but if he times the up tilt properly (meaning he's intangible by the time you attempt to hit him, and with frame 4--that's a 15th of a second--intangibility it's not too hard) your hitboxes will simply go through his body while he counters with his own attack.
So basically I was right lol.

Ryus hitboxes are tame compared to the majority of the cast.

Top Bottom