• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ryko Presents: Zany Balls - A new york tournament 11/23/08 (yes, a sunday)

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
That wasn't exactly my point but I guess I'll run with it. I keep asking this same question about a billion times and it gets skipped over. Why the hell is rainbow cruise considered absolutely normal to have around but then pirate ship is considered out of hand. And if everyone says Izumi and only Izumi I'm responding to it with just ban it personally if they hate it that much, even with only 1 ban on hand.

pockyD

Smash Legend
i personally have no idea (i'm all for pirate ship being legal), but I would guess that it would be because pirate ship allows for stalling in the water

on the other hand, rainbow cruise is anything but stall-encouraging; there is no good place to set up camp because of the movement

stages aren't just banned because they're janky; it's more because the jankiness encourages a certain playstyle which people may or may not want to propagate.

teh_spamerer

Smash Master
You actually confused the **** out of me for a second with the color and the sig. If there's some huge issue with the rules by the people who attend then I'll change it but I don't really see why a character should have an instant KO based off of a single grab on a lot of characters. Granted you make a good point with ZSS on fox and the IC ones. As for dedede infinites, I knew a pummel was required to keep it an infinite, but I actually had no clue you could escape before an action is made after a pummel at that high a % (which makes me wonder why dan is always *****ing at me to pummel with him)
What confuses you? I'm tec0 :bee:.

Note that when I ask why this should be allowed someone will just say "Well avoid the situation by not picking the character" but when I ask the same thing about why certain stages are banned and others get away scot free normally I get "well theyre too easily exploited". Why are the rules needed to exclude things when players are given the ability to ban certain stages that provide no dire danger but in situations that are absolutely silly to get an instant kill on characters that's summed up by "well just avoid it".
I disagree with a lot of the stages being banned at EC tournaments. Inui's logic for keeping them banned is that he thinks people will stop coming to his tournaments, though I'm pretty sure 99% of people would still come. The whole point of a counterpick stage is to give the person counterpicking an advantage.

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=5689221&postcount=373

PenUmbra

Smash Apprentice
* Standing throw infinites are banned.
Some examples include, but this is not limited to:
-Pikachu on Fox
-Dedede on Luigi
-Dedede on Bowser
-The IC Backthrow infinite

Edit: Due to the finding of EIDI there's no reason for me to ban grab release infinites.

Stages:

Neutral:
* Final Destination
* Battlefield
* Yoshi's Story
* Smashville
* Lylat

Counterpicks:
* Delfino Plaza
* Frigate Orpheon
* Battleship Halberd
* Castle Siege
* Brinstar
* Pokemon Stadium 1
* Rainbow Cruise
* Pirate Ship

Each Player/Team will be allowed to ban 2 stages (only one of them may be neutral) and may strike 1 neutral in the first round.
2 things I want to say, it's up to you as the host to edit.

1) Infinites
Pika->fox is not an infinite as far as I know, Fox gets out at around 80.
D3-> Bowwow is not an infinite, it just sucks for him
IC-> Anybody is how even Sakurai meant for them to be played, he tells you how to De-sync on Dojo even I think. Shouldn't be banned, sinces it's hard to do, and doesn't help them too much versus players with at least decent skill and any char high tier+(not including lower tiers that might have positive match-ups or anything).
D3-> Luigi = Meh

2)Pirate ship
...gimme two bans then? Getting shot for 55% is what really disturbs me.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
Look I have no time for your anime shenanigans.

As it stands I'm not a big proponent for anything that is a "1 **** up and say goodbye to the stock" sort of deal. Before you mention melee, I'd like to point out that I was terrible in melee to the point that I never got to the level where that sort of thing was prevalent and I don't really think it's a valid thing to bring up anyway. But, as mentioned, if there's a big issue with the grab rule from the people attending, and I will be sure to put up a poll or ask or some crap, I'll just **** can the rule.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
2 things I want to say, it's up to you as the host to edit.

1) Infinites
Pika->fox is not an infinite as far as I know, Fox gets out at around 80.
And gets fsmashed at 77 on the side of a neutral and actually stands a good chance to get instant KO'd from it.

D3-> Bowwow is not an infinite, it just sucks for him
Understandable

IC-> Anybody is how even Sakurai meant for them to be played, he tells you how to De-sync on Dojo even I think. Shouldn't be banned, sinces it's hard to do, and doesn't help them too much versus players with at least decent skill and any char high tier+(not including lower tiers that might have positive match-ups or anything).
Already gave up this point

D3-> Luigi = Meh
The pummel thing was brought up already.

2)Pirate ship
...gimme two bans then? Getting shot for 55% is what really disturbs me.
Disregarding the fact that there are 2 bans allowed, you and dan taught the entire crew (myself excluded since I've long since come to the realization that I have the worst reaction time out of any of us) to power shield projectiles on a regular basis, something you don't even need to do to avoid getting shot on pirate ship anyway.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
Well rookie's DI isn't exactly bad but I'm willing to accept he screwed up when it happened, probably trying to DI away from the throw itself and getting hit with something he didnt expect coming.

All in all I wanted to keep things out of the tournament that I myself could exploit but if it really is that dire a concern that someone get a grab and win, then so be it.

PenUmbra

Smash Apprentice
Disregarding the fact that there are 2 bans allowed, you and dan taught the entire crew (myself excluded since I've long since come to the realization that I have the worst reaction time out of any of us) to power shield projectiles on a regular basis, something you don't even need to do to avoid getting shot on pirate ship anyway.
I'd like to be able to shield while I'm in hitstun, well, then, I'd be GODLY!

Seriously, D3's Downthrow for a trade or something stupid can happen, wolf might D-throw or something too(good thing we're playing with no tripping...right?). Consider more options than simply standing still when death rains from above. You're probably fighting anyway. Just the opportunity for 55% and more likely than not, a stock, is pretty stupid IMO.

EDIT:

NO JOHNS. Don't suck. Practice more! PS is not that hard. If it helps, play faster paced chars. (D3, Ike, Snake... not that quick in terms of consistant rapid button input)

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
I'd like to be able to shield while I'm in hitstun, well, then, I'd be GODLY!
If you're in hitstun from a close up move, chances are both of you just got blasted, and if you are in hitstun from something that sent you sailing, it likely didn't send you sailing downwards towards a blast zone and by the time you were back towards the ground you were fully capable of dodging the incoming hit. If you got spiked into it, well yeah, tough luck, someone just played the stage on you. All said, it's not really an issue since yeah, there are 2 bans.

PenUmbra

Smash Apprentice
If you're in hitstun from a close up move, chances are both of you just got blasted, and if you are in hitstun from something that sent you sailing, it likely didn't send you sailing downwards towards a blast zone and by the time you were back towards the ground you were fully capable of dodging the incoming hit.
If I'm off the ship, I'm at a disadvantage. I have less options. Besides that, there are moves that will put me in a bad position that there's nothing I can do about it. Hitstun isn't 100% gone either. Any throw with a low trajectory or move that could potentially trip is still unwelcome. D3 shouldn't be able to throw me and keep the stock while I lose it to a 55% blast and die while he only takes 30- and lives. But maybe it was meant to be... Jet hammer is one of his moves... stand around for 30 secs for the hit?

Either way, two bans? I'm good then.

Glick

Smash Lord
I'm all for the ice climbers infinite but D3 standing can just kill itself. I don't care if someone managed to break out of it and nobody knows how. (Which nobody does, btw) That doesn't justify it unless someone figures out how to do it consistently.

Thirtyfour

Smash Journeyman
Im'a cummin to this one.
:O Falcon MMs all around

btw is there a fast food or corner store near this?
I dont wanna get sleepy

BTW does this need a wii?
Mine's still has the homebrew channel
No SD card though

Thirtyfour

Smash Journeyman
HMMM i'll be 1:30 am ish when i get to sleep.
I'll get up at like.....9 leave house at 940 get to the subway at like 11

Ya I had to type it out just to see.
What's the lastest time to sign up for singles?
I hopes I can make it early for friendlies

Excuse the double post I didnt know I was the last poster
I went to page one :o

D1

Banned via Administration
Is it just singles?

And when does it start?

Church finishes at like 2:30pm for me allowing me to reach there by at leaaaaast 3:30pm. T_T

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
I'm all for the ice climbers infinite but D3 standing can just kill itself. I don't care if someone managed to break out of it and nobody knows how. (Which nobody does, btw) That doesn't justify it unless someone figures out how to do it consistently.
Uhhh..

Push buttons.

And a lot of them.

really fast too.

Glick

Smash Lord
Uhhh..

Push buttons.

And a lot of them.

really fast too.
Naw theres definitely a certain way, or pattern you should be following. Just like the release grab escape thing. Someone did it and nobody knew how it was happening and then (I think ref) figured out how to escape it.

No thanks.

LittleV

Smash Rookie
WOOOOO.
I live like, walking distance from here.
And I just found out about it today.
Sooo happeh.

teh_spamerer

Smash Master
Naw theres definitely a certain way, or pattern you should be following. Just like the release grab escape thing. Someone did it and nobody knew how it was happening and then (I think ref) figured out how to escape it.

No thanks.
Dedede needs to pummel to refresh his dthrow so he can do his standing chaingrab. Since it is possible to mash out before he throws you after a single pummel at over 100% the infinite isn't that devastating.

LittleV

Smash Rookie
Man...I wish I could've gone to this.
We went to the wrong address, me and my doubles buddy.
We were looking for 470...
Whoops.
Well, I hope you guys are planning to do something like this again...

Thirtyfour

Smash Journeyman
I headed there but took the wrong path train to WTC
Only had 3 uses on my card so I thought I'd go to the next one

Best Falcon in Vegas

HoMaLoN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HoMaLoN
Y don't any of ya'll show up to the Bx weeklies? Its completely a fine evironment.

Thirtyfour

Smash Journeyman
Most probably cant get done with work or school quick enough to get to BUM's on fridays.
Sundays and Saturdays are great n all since you get like all day to stay at a tourney and what not.

I'll be at the next tourney you hold Ryko.
Grand finals Ike vs Falcon maybe?

CandyAppleBlueCherry

Smash Cadet
hey, its rykoshet :O

i know you from bluegartr. lol. assuming your the same rykoshet

were you the elv PLD? if so, your PLD was hot (or is, if you still play)

do you play competitive melee at all? O:

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
Yeah but I sold my character like an ******* for a good 10 grand <_<

I dont play competitive melee though

Edit: 34 if I ever meet you in tourney I wont play a sellout char unless you go falco lol >_> Ike vs Falcon all day

Thirtyfour

Smash Journeyman
I only use falco when i dont know what im up against. Falcon`s unleashed vs already respected players that dont use mk. :D id type more but im on a psp btw ill.be at your next tourney or fest nice n early. i want more srs friendlies

GRogErEN24

Smash Cadet
all i got to say about this tourny is that i got 3 stocked in draft crews in front of everyone. now you all think i suck:(. guru i'm coming back with vengeance:).
picking up rob as a secondary and gonna be campy as hell. watch out.
overall good tourny/fest Rykoshet as always. keep me posted on the next events. i'll be more social with everyone next time and will be looking for matches with the top dogs without fear this time too:laugh:.
don't think i'm ready for weekly's/tourny's yet though.

Top Bottom