• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rumor: The Nintendo Switch Could Have Melee VC and "Smash for Switch"

Tom Phillips from Eurogamer recently came out and said he was told that Melee would be coming out for the VC on the Nintendo Switch, along with some other titles. Rumors about Smash for Switch have also appeared. We talk about them below.

Authors Note: I'm reposting this rumor from Source Gaming, a publication run by yours truly. Please note that this is still a rumor, and nothing is 100% confirmed.

Rumor 1:
We’ve heard Melee is coming to the Switch, via Virtual Console. The service is apparently being organized by NERD, who impressed Nintendo with their work on the Famicom/NES Mini. The VC release would be ‘aimed at the competitive market’.

Good Points: We have good reason to believe NERD is in fact working on the Virtual Console for the Switch (multiple, independent sources). Melee is something the community has been requesting for many years.

Bad Points: GC VC requires analog triggers. We’ve heard from some developers that the Switch HAS analog triggers. However, some have told us that there ISN’T. Since we feel this is a major part of the rumor, we are not comfortable saying that Melee VC is coming 100%. One possible way around this is by enabling the GameCube adapter port with the Switch.[/quote]

Rumor 2:
We’ve heard that “Smash for Switch” (name not final) is a combination of 3DS and Wii U content, a ‘director’s cut’. The game will feature some new content including 2 new characters. We haven’t been able to confirm WHAT characters. We’ve heard that this version will include all the DLC.

Good Points: The source behind this information is incredibly solid, and has broken a lot of rumors in the past to us. Unfortunately, you will have to take our word for it, as we haven’t been publishing them (sorry, we don’t usually post rumors). However, sometimes just having a solid source isn’t enough.

Bad Points: Two characters is pretty low. Personally, we think more characters are coming…at least 5. Also some of the content for the 3DS was made using borrowed assets, and remaking it for the Switch would require additional effort by the team. We also think the porting process has been going on for awhile now, which makes 2 characters seem very low. As we saw in 1.1.6, there is some evidence that could suggest the porting process has started a long time ago.
________​

For more information about rumor reporting, check out our SourceCast on the topic.

Check out our YouTube playlist on a theoretical “Smash for Switch” to get caught up. In particular, the podcast is very relevant.​

Make sure to follow Source Gaming on Twitter, and me!

Last edited:
PushDustin

Comments

This is not a remake so we can play Melee just like before! (if they dont fu*k up the port or anything)
If they just let us use the gamecube controller and this will actually be Perfect!

Last edited:
D
Bit of a let down since it's just VC, but the Melee purists will be happy at least and save Nintendo backlash.

The other possible prediction is that Nintendo and Sora separate the casual and competitive base into two different games, built totally for each crowd.

I'm not against Melee VC, but I feel that much more could be done.

Last edited:
It's a rumor now but I will rejoice and be glad in it when these rumors are confirmed. Great idea that content from the 3DS and Wii U will be put together. Mix 'em both together and I know that it's the best of both worlds...:laugh:

D
The other possible prediction is that Nintendo and Sora separate the casual and competitive base into two different games, built totally for each crowd.

I'm not against Melee VC, but I feel that much more could be done.
Yeah, like having HD menus and such, fixing Mr. Game Watch's shield and Kirby's throws, allowing C-Stick in 1 Player modes.

I don't want a just straight up VC port tbh, but it's better than nothing I suppose.

Yeah, like having HD menus and such, fixing Mr. Game Watch's shield and Kirby's throws, allowing C-Stick in 1 Player modes.

I don't want a just straight up VC port tbh, but it's better than nothing I suppose.
And a generous deal more (edit: tourney-legal) stages, characters, and footstooling.

Think Project M that isn't Project M.

Last edited:

And no more losing Charge Shot by getting hit out of Screw Attack, please.
No more ghost hits, either.
Or hole in the center of Pokémon Stadium.
Or the other 999 bugs Melee has that only hinders both casual and competitive play.
Also, for HD in the fights they should only rework the camera to show more of the screen horizontally, no stretching, zooming in, changing the actual pixel count, whatever. Just rework the camera....

i just hope the GC adapter will be compatible with the switch
& those 2 chars im pretty sure will be Wolf & the ice Climbers
& if its two brand new chars well ill be dammed but anyway.

Rumor 2 isn't a rumor. Footage of the port was already shown by Etika.
Etika Switch.png

He would never lie to us! :040:

Last edited:
we need gamecube adapter support its just stupid not to add it at this point. Im sure its been said a million times but the money that just this virtual console port alone would make even tho it isnt targeted for competitive audience it would make loads like cmoooon.

I wonder if we could get a brawl VC without the tripping.

And 2 new characters? 1 inkling, 2 idk
It would be a shame if ice climbers didn't return.

Perhaps wolf could also sneak in.

And dlc characters Finally have custom moves.
(Last hopes for snake)

I wouldn't get my hopes too high for a ton of characters but only because my low expectations for DLC with SSB4 made me enjoy it that much more. My original expectations: 2 veterans, 1 newcomer, and 2-3 retro stages. What happened: 3 veterans, 4 newcomers, 4 retro stage, 4 new stages, and a buttload of costumes. Right now, I'm only expecting a handful of people left on the cutting room floor (ICs only reason for being cut is now irrelevant) but I'd love to be proven wrong.

I'm Calling Ice Climbers and Wolf as the two characters, I'd really love to see some Chibi-Robo in there though.

I wonder if we could get a brawl VC without the tripping.
(Last hopes for snake)
Dude, with how big of a ***** Konami is being right now, Having Snake back is a Pipe dream at the moment.

we need gamecube adapter support its just stupid not to add it at this point. Im sure its been said a million times but the money that just this virtual console port alone would make even tho it isnt targeted for competitive audience it would make loads like cmoooon.
Heard they were working with it, atleast I won't buy it if i cant use my favorite controller lol

Last edited:
And no more losing Charge Shot by getting hit out of Screw Attack, please.
No more ghost hits, either.
Or hole in the center of Pokémon Stadium.
Or the other 999 bugs Melee has that only hinders both casual and competitive play.
Also, for HD in the fights they should only rework the camera to show more of the screen horizontally, no stretching, zooming in, changing the actual pixel count, whatever. Just rework the camera....
phantom hits are hot tho

Yeah, something like what they did with Pokemon red and blue, add wireless but keep the game the same aside from that.

New stages are welcome too, or Future ones... Lol smashville and omega stages in melee.

95% sure that one of the 2 characters will be Ice Climbers since Sakurai said they were pretty much ready but just didn't work on 3DS hardware(no longer an issue on the much stronger switch.)

And for the more expanded version of the 2nd part, it's generally because it's rumored that the Gamecube as a whole will(FINALLY) come to the Virtual Console, and since it was the best selling game on the device Melee is inevitable. having said that, I think some need to simmer their expectations down a bit-while wireless and/or online options are not off the table, those expecting bugfixes or new stages are setting themselves up for hurt. The RBY VC ports for example only just added wireless, changed Jynx's color and made it so you could play the Surfing Pikachu game w/o a Surf Pikachu, but didn't touch any of the battle mechanic bugs like Focus Energy dropping crit rates or Psychics being immune to Ghost attacks.

Last edited:
A melee HD rework.....
Its looks cool but im still skeptical about this I mean an HD version of melee would be nice but I'm not so sure how much of the melee community would receive his open arms
And having smash on the switch and not having all the DLC characters?

Well I have some problems with this and a lot of good things too.

So first like Timic83 said it will be pointless to have a wii u copy of smash when this rolls around and that is what the big issue is for most people.

Now the things I like about this is that I will most likely get a switch and will be able to play the new smash!

Also I don't know if this makes me any less of a smash fan but I never played meele so I hope it comes out!

Amazing now melee can be portable without the aid of a laptop. Truly magnificent I hope these rumors come to light and be true, I just hope the input lag is the same since some people ideally wont want to use it. Heck even some tournaments might stick with the original with a tiny problem like that, but honestly I dont mind. Now ill possibly be able to have the joy to have Sm4sh and Melee on one console!

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I hope they do not bring back Mii Fighters for Smash Switch. Instead I'm hoping and wishing for long-lost faves, such as :icsmelee: or even :pichumelee:. But I'm still on the edge of my seat about who the two mystery characters will be.

I think they should take it a step further with the artificial intelligence and program a level 10. Level 9s too easy for you? Let's see how any player fares against Level 10 CPUs.:upsidedown:

About SmashSwitch, i don't know how nitendo can go laong with a divided competitive community. SmashSwitch ONLY reason of existence should the unification of Tr4sh and melee scene with a melee-like pace and engine-period.

i really don't care about melee HD on VC if they don't fix all the bugs and try to balance the roster.
I am done endlessly watching fox killing doc with a jab+Usmash or whatever else. melee is great but melee is broken. I just watch PM now, thank you tourneylocator

Last edited:
About SmashSwitch, i don't know how nitendo can go laong with a divided competitive community. SmashSwitch ONLY reason of existence should the unification of Tr4sh and melee scene with a melee-like pace and engine-period.

i really don't care about melee HD on VC if they don't fix all the bugs and try to balance the roster.
I am done endlessly watching fox killing doc with a jab+Usmash or whatever else. melee is great but melee is broken. I just watch PM now, thank you tourneylocator
9da.png

Last edited:
D
I'll believe it when I see it. I trust the gang at Source Gaming because I know they wouldn't post anything about a rumor unless they had proof to back it up. But considering how up and down the Smash rumors were last year I'll need to see it straight from Nintendo themselves to believe it. If it is true I hope they have enough content to warrant people getting Sma4sh all over again.

If the rumors are true then I hope it's more than 2 characters and they're new characters. Only 2 characters wouldn't be enough to rush in and buy a Switch version of the game.

This just in!:
If you download Melee from Virtual Console to your Nintendo switch you get TWO Exclusive characters for Smash Switch!
YOUNG LINK AND PICHU!

(cue fans Killing themselves)

The want for bomber man intensifies
Oh my god, if only. lol
:4lucas:I never really felt that bomber man really was much more than an acade game at heart. Sorry.
"I've never really felt like Pac-Man really was much more than an arcade game at heart. Sorry."

"I've never really felt like Duck Hunt really was much more than an arcade game at heart. Sorry."

"I've never really felt like F-Zero really was much more than an arcade game at heart. Sorry."

"I've never really felt like Ice Climbers really was much more than an arcade game at heart. Sorry."

"I've never really felt like Street Fighter really was much more than an arcade game at heart. Sorry."

"I've never really felt like Punch-Out really was much more than an arcade game at heart. Sorry."

"I've never really felt like Star Fox really was much more than an arcade game at heart. Sorry."

"I've never really felt like Dr. Mario really was much more than an arcade game at heart. Sorry."

Like what even was that post? Try playing some of the N64 Bomberman games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom