• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rumor and Speculation says Geno is in Smash, but what about Mallow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DIsulfotON

Smash Rookie
Smash is coming to switch this Dec. The speculation, rumor, and alleged leaks point to Geno being in smash. If this does prove to be true, what about Mallow? The other standout character from Mario RPG. Help me get some attention on Mallow so that we can get not only one RPG rep, if any, but two. The two who are the clear standout original characters from the title, and with enough attacks to make Playable smash characters. Follow the link to the Mallow support petition to help. Signing literally only takes a few moments. Thanks!

https://www.change.org/p/nintendo-help-get-mallow-into-super-smash-bros-ultimate

Oddball

Smash Lord
Mallow strikes me as far more interesting character than Geno in every way possible.

Still, I really don't think either of them deserve to be in Smash and I will never understand the love that Geno gets. His special moves weren't that exciting and he really dfidn't have much actual personality.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Mallow strikes me as far more interesting character than Geno in every way possible.

Still, I really don't think either of them deserve to be in Smash and I will never understand the love that Geno gets. His special moves weren't that exciting and he really dfidn't have much actual personality.
This, it's mostly people's love for the game and them wanting some representation. And Geno is considered "cooler" than Mallow, who is known to cry and be emotional, so the god puppet has been the bandwagon.

I think he should just be an assist trophy, save the SE rep for someone interesting, and has more than one major game appearance.

He'll get in, as Sakurai wants it and he wants to please the fans, so hopefully we can get some other interesting characters since that will be another I'm not interested in.

DIsulfotON

Smash Rookie

I agree. Mallow is a far more interesting character of the two. And of the two, Mallow is my favorite. But both have interesting potential for movesets and would make huge surprise editions to the game. There’s tons of talk of Geno making an appearance, but everyone gets caught up in that and forgets about Mallow. There’s lots of Mallow fans who play smash, but I feel they don’t know or think it’s possible for us to campaign for him and show Nintendo we want him. That’s what this petition is all about, to show that there is a demand for a long forgotten, interesting and unique character.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
I agree. Mallow is a far more interesting character of the two. And of the two, Mallow is my favorite. But both have interesting potential for movesets and would make huge surprise editions to the game. There’s tons of talk of Geno making an appearance, but everyone gets caught up in that and forgets about Mallow. There’s lots of Mallow fans who play smash, but I feel they don’t know or think it’s possible for us to campaign for him and show Nintendo we want him. That’s what this petition is all about, to show that there is a demand for a long forgotten, interesting and unique character.
When Geno is playable, maybe we'll get a Mallow assist trophy. That's about all the hope there is, and they might opt for a boss from SMRPG or something instead.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I like Mallow but I prefer Geno for 2 reasons:

1- Geno is more important than him, he's more involved with the main plot of Mario RPG and is basically the main character along with Mario.
Geno is a star from the Star Road that arrived in Mario's world after the Star Road was destroyed by Exor (the sword).
His purpose is to repair the star road, and it's exactly the main objective of the game.
Mallow has his side story and he's a cool character, but I think he's secondary to Geno.

2- this may be stupid, but it's something that I think for real...
His character design is too similar to Kirby's, while Geno's design is more original and would add more variety to the roster.

I have nothing against Mallow, but I definitely think that Geno should get the priority as he's more important and more iconic.

StormC

Smash Hero
I like Mallow but I prefer Geno for 2 reasons:

1- Geno is more important than him, he's more involved with the main plot of Mario RPG and is basically the main character along with Mario.
Geno is a star from the Star Road that arrived in Mario's world after the Star Road was destroyed by Exor (the sword).
His purpose is to repair the star road, and it's exactly the main objective of the game.
Mallow has his side story and he's a cool character, but I think he's secondary to Geno.

2- this may be stupid, but it's something that I think for real...
His character design is too similar to Kirby's, while Geno's design is more original and would add more variety to the roster.

I have nothing against Mallow, but I definitely think that Geno should get the priority as he's more important and more iconic.
Geno is not more important than Mallow and definitely not "the main character along with Mario." Mallow is with Mario since virtually the beginning of the story and has an actual story arc to him. Much of the game involves him trying to get or accomplish something (get the Frog Coin back, meet up with his grandfather, find his real parents, save his kingdom). He has more dialogue and scenes in general while Geno is mostly there for exposition. Mallow has a story that has actual emotional investment, Geno is a glorified plot device.

If anything Geno is the least standout of the five protagonists. I'm a huge fan of SMRPG but Geno's "storyline" is effectively him appearing to inform the protagonists about Star Road, and then disappearing at the end. All the other party members have some sort of subplot or story arc besides the main one.

Last edited:

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I'm a Geno supporter now, but I was always against him for the longest time simply because I felt it would be unfair to include Geno in the game while Mallow would be the only party member from SMRPG to not be playable. It just didn't seem right to me. If a SMRPG character is getting in, at this point it's absolutely inevitable that it would be Geno... but oh man would I love it if his gameplay trailer came with an "Oh yeah. And he's not coming alone." and surprise, it's Mallow.

As others have said, he's got a bigger and better character arc than the others. He definitely made an impact on me immediately upon meeting him, whereas Geno didn't really impact me at all and I didn't really get the appeal ( though I think it's more about what he represents than anything, and i've since warmed up to him ) Plus, he's got moveset potential for days with his weather abilities, not to mention his stretchy arms, the froggie stick, the cymbals, im pretty sure his fists grow at one point or he slings rocks around...

In the end though, I always swapped out Mallow and Geno for Bowser and Peach once I got them. But after reading this thread i'm tempted to do a run with Mallow and Geno through the whole game.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
You're welcome to post this in the Mallow support thread. However. It doesn't deserve it's own thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom