• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Rulings Question: Wii U Gamepad Headphone Jack

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
Hey fam, I just took over TOing for my scene. Getting into the swing of things, already getting questions I can't answer!

So, here's one such question: Is it OK to plug a headphone into the Wii U Gamepad so one player can hear the game's audio?

To me, this sounds like an unfair advantage - you get the audio cues you're used to hearing, but the opponent can't hear it over environmental noise/other setups. So, I told him no, unless he brings a headphone splitter so the opponent has an opportunity to do the same. He argued that pro scenes allow this all the time, but couldn't explain how. Others said they didn't have a problem with it, to which I responded that it's fine if they gentleman it, but if someone did have a problem with it I would rule in favor of the complaint.

What's everyone's consensus on this? Should I back down and just let headphones be allowed no matter what?

Lunanix

Smash Cadet
NNID
lunanix
Hey fam, I just took over TOing for my scene. Getting into the swing of things, already getting questions I can't answer!

So, here's one such question: Is it OK to plug a headphone into the Wii U Gamepad so one player can hear the game's audio?

To me, this sounds like an unfair advantage - you get the audio cues you're used to hearing, but the opponent can't hear it over environmental noise/other setups. So, I told him no, unless he brings a headphone splitter so the opponent has an opportunity to do the same. He argued that pro scenes allow this all the time, but couldn't explain how. Others said they didn't have a problem with it, to which I responded that it's fine if they gentleman it, but if someone did have a problem with it I would rule in favor of the complaint.

What's everyone's consensus on this? Should I back down and just let headphones be allowed no matter what?
I personally disagree with it, I am a TO for my scene as well and unless players bring a headphone splitter I don't allow anyone to use headphones into the gamepad. Most of our setups have sound anyway so all players can here it but I do believe it causes a slight advantage if your having headphones on the gamepad. (Splitters are so cheap and can be found so easily there really isn't excuse no to have one if you do intend on using the gamepad for sound.

Top Bottom