• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roy's Our Boy

JoltSmash13

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3196-7112-8608
Ok. Roy has been changed a lot.

Everyone was changed.

I mained Roy in Smash 4. Roy feels different now. His Up B has been nerfed. It used to be a kill move for Roy at about 90-110 percent at the bottom of FD or Battlefield. Now, the opponent has to be at a much higher percent (around 100 [puff] to 145 [heavy]). Fsmash also used to kill earlier.

Rage was one of Roy's best tools. If you survived long enough, your opponents were good as dead (as long as you didn't make any stupid mistakes). You could kill them at about 35 percent with an Fsmash.

He feels like he falls differently too.

I don't really know.

I also miss his screams.

AAAUUAAAAAAAAUGHHHHHHHh

*ding*

Also, the jab was one of his best tools. With the new parry technique, shield pressure is less useful. The jab starts up quickly, but if your opponent does a parry, they basically get a free hit (as with most of his moves).
The parry has affected Roy greatly.
The ability to pressure shields was one of Roy's best skills. The parry technique renders his shield pressuring moves nearly useless.

Just saying.

Wumbo105

Smash Ace
What do you guys think about Roy's changes in Smash Ultimate? Is he viable for competitive play?
It's pretty much consensus that Roy is high tier at the very least, and very much viable. This is supported by just about every pro player thus far, including ZeRo, Nairo, Vex, ESAM, m2k, and others.

In fact, all the Fire Emblem chars seem to be high tier in this game, except for Robin (and probably Ike).

Forblazen

Smash Rookie
The fact that top players use him doesn't really matter, truth is that Roy's playstyle is similar to smash4 so that's what people are more comfortable with, that with the addition of buffs makes him seem like a high tier.

Im not saying Roy couldnt be a high tier, but everyone else needs to be tested so we can accurately and comparatively place Roy anywhere on a supposed tier list.

Roy's neutral game is very weak, but what saves Roy is his amazing advantage state, if your opponent panic for one second your opponent banishes.

JoltSmash13

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3196-7112-8608
Yeah, I agree. I created this after playing Roy for a short amount of time. Roy's F Smash is still broken. While his up B has less potential, the new short hop attack function (pressing jump and attack) benefits him greatly.

Wumbo105

Smash Ace
The reason why he wasn't good in previous games (both Melee and 4) is that he is a rushdown character, without the good frame data to allow him to go in on people.

Now that landing lag is practically cut in half, he can do what he is meant to do with great ease. At the very least, he simply works.

Top Bottom