• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roy's Our Boy - General Hype/Discussion Thread

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
Could somebody explain to me how this "cloning system" works? Is it something that was in Brawl's files that the PMBR took advantage of, or did they come up with it on their own? Since they already did it once, do they know how it works & could easily do it again with another scrapped character from Melee?

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
Could somebody explain to me how this "cloning system" works? Is it something that was in Brawl's files that the PMBR took advantage of, or did they come up with it on their own? Since they already did it once, do they know how it works & could easily do it again with another scrapped character from Melee?
They wouldn't really need to, all the best apsects of Doc were integrated into Mario, and Tink basically replaced YL, Mewtwo's info is already in Brawl's code as far as I know, and does anybody really want Pichu back?

FlashingFire

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
AT LONG LAST!!!!

Super hyped for the next P:M release. I'm looking forward to feeling out the new DED, which looks amazing, and meteoring all the naysayers. And Usmash spiking, if that's still a thing. Comboing into that would be another dream come true...

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
They missed a release date. :( Even if it's just for Roy they should have given one.

Hey, no pressure! I'm sure PM staff wants to make a new balance patch to go with it, so I'm chill!
But a little date would've been nice to see at the end, or at least "Coming soon!"

jayeldeee

Smash Journeyman
#Roysourboyhypealldayson

This update better come out soon. Now I kind of want to play with him in Melee more.

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
The fire effects on his aerials and smash attacks are sexy.

I kinda want to see a Roy model based off of Awakening Roy doe

Just more proof project m is just to make melee 2.0.to be honest brawl was fine... Roy actually looks decent. I almost wish I hadn't axed my brawl. (Actually chopped it with an axe) I might hàce used him :(

Use a USB Loader for Project M. Also, do you have pics of this axed Brawl?

Steelia

Smash Champion
I'm very curious... What textures did they use for making Roy? Judging from some of the tiny engraved markings on the gold parts of his armor (among other details), it looks like they used my sister and I's really old faux-SSBB Roy for a base... If so, I'm terribly sorry ;w; That attempt was terrible. They did make his armor markings super-pretty, though.
Really need to get around to making HQ Roy someday...

Goodness. I don't play PM personally, but Roy just may be enough . . .

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Am definitely interested in learning how they managed to add in a completely separate character, just so I can explain it to my equally-interested friends. Two of my friends nearly died at the Roy update, and one called me in a fit of joyful tears.

Well played, PMBR.

nessokman

Smash Lord
The fire effects on his aerials and smash attacks are sexy.

I kinda want to see a Roy model based off of Awakening Roy doe

Use a USB Loader for Project M. Also, do you have pics of this axed Brawl?
Wish I did ^.^ Sadly I don't, I didn't play brawl for around a year, so it got the axe....

USB? I don't even have a brawl...

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
So has Roy finally broken through that invisible ceiling?
The literal one, I mean, not the metaphorical one. I hope not, that thing was awesome!

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
They wouldn't really need to, all the best apsects of Doc were integrated into Mario, and Tink basically replaced YL, Mewtwo's info is already in Brawl's code as far as I know, and does anybody really want Pichu back?

I see your point, but I'm still intrigued about the details of it, like how it works with the game. Also, Mewtwo's info is in Brawl? I never knew this...

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
I see your point, but I'm still intrigued about the details of it, like how it works with the game. Also, Mewtwo's info is in Brawl? I never knew this...
Well I could be wrong about this, I know he was originally planned for Brawl, and I'm pretty sure I remember reading something about how his character model with nearly complete animations is in Brawl's code somewhere.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Well I could be wrong about this, I know he was originally planned for Brawl, and I'm pretty sure I remember reading something about how his character model with nearly complete animations is in Brawl's code somewhere.
Neither of these are true. His only model is the trophy model which was taken from Pokemon Colliseum or something.

ItsRainingGravy

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5960-2538-9300
That's a wall jump tech, look at it again, Charizard hits Roy into the stage.
This.

Also, Roy looks really sick. The new/improved Down Smash, Double Edge Dance, Back Air, Down Air, and Neutral B all look really fantastic and fluid. I also love how he can DACUS his up smash like how Marth now can. The flames on Neutral Air might be a bit too large but nothing to really complain about. Overall an absolutely phenomenal job, and I am super excited to play him.

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
I'm just glad Roy's facial model doesn't look weird like this

or this

These images might give you nightmares if you stare too long.

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
I am curious what his SIdeb will be used for. I am assuming it will be like something from Ken's best dreams and can be used well to cover multiple options and apply frame traps.

Oddyesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Oddyesy
Am definitely interested in learning how they managed to add in a completely separate character, just so I can explain it to my equally-interested friends. Two of my friends nearly died at the Roy update, and one called me in a fit of joyful tears.

Well played, PMBR.
What I would give to have friends that were excited about these mods... Oman though my scream last night woke up the house.

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
What I would give to have friends that were excited about these mods...

Oh my god do I know that feel. I even tried to get my school's debate team to let me host it at a video game tournament they're putting up soon, but they said no because they "didn't want any mods."

Cereal Bawks

Smash Ace
NNID
cereal_bawks
You know what would be awesome? If somebody were to make a good looking hack to make Roy look like this:

EDIT: How do you use the spoilers tag?

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
Oh my god do I know that feel. I even tried to get my school's debate team to let me host it at a video game tournament they're putting up soon, but they said no because they "didn't want any mods."
Damn dude. Did you try telling them that it's actually played at broadcasted tournaments?

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Three pages and no mention of GUUUUN FLAME!!!!

This forum already sucks.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Read Youtube comments?

Also, In earlier builds, Roy's new bair had fire effect on the hilt hitbox. It was removed because Roy had "too much fire," if that's even a thing.

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
Damn dude. Did you try telling them that it's actually played at broadcasted tournaments?

No, I hadn't thought to say that. I didn't actually ask them directly, I had my friend, who is on debate team, ask them for me, solo stuff probably got lost in translation. It was also during the DDoS, so they couldn't look up info on P:M's site.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
This.

So basically, Roy is supposed to be a mix between Marth's speed and Ike's strength, What elements of both do you think they combined to create this happy medium we know s PM Roy?
It's not quite like this.
Roy will be the fastest of all the Fire Emblem characters for sure.
And before somebody has to correct me, yes Marth has a faster dash and longer wavedash, but that's not why Roy is faster.
When I say he's faster I'm basically referring to the actual speed at which Roy is able to execute at. Roy's faster falling speed combined with his shorter full hop and short hop height give him a sort of Falcon-esque ground to air game/vice versa. But he gets to have that flow while also having the Marth-esque movement options with an excellent dash dance and excellent wavedash.

Anywhoozles...
I'm mad hype for Roy. He's long been my favorite character to play in Melee specifically because his physics are such a unique combination of speed and fluidity of movement. He has a lot of the elegance of Marth, but with that speed of a fastfaller. He was just too garbage to play seriously.
Even when I was just playing bad Melee Roy in Project M with the first stages of the clone engine a couple years ago he was as fun to play as he ever was. I've missed the fire.

Ninka_kiwi

Smash Ace
The fact that my Melee main gets Gun flame, a move that my main from guilty gear has, makes me extremely hyped.

Well played PMBR.

Now all we need is dragon install as his final smash.

Top Bottom