• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roy's Our Boy - General Hype/Discussion Thread

Sartron

Smash Journeyman
Calm down your hype, Marth is still master race. I think, anyways. I'm really interested in how Roy has changed and how he will play with the Brawl cast. Kind of off topic, but there's not as much hype and respect for the clone engine as much as there is for Roy himself. :(

xBlitz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AresxBlitz
3DS FC
3583-0912-0374
Calm down your hype, Marth is still master race. I think, anyways. I'm really interested in how Roy has changed and how he will play with the Brawl cast. Kind of off topic, but there's not as much hype and respect for the clone engine as much as there is for Roy himself. :(
As an FE Nerd, having three beloved characters is like a dream come true. As someone beginning to become competitive, Ike and Marth are both S tier for their own reasons, and it seems that Roy could advance to a top seat with some of his new combos and aerial game. Regardless, Ike for life baby (y)

Heero Yuy

#sweg
I always loved Roy as much as Marth... I'm looking forward to how the PM team will make him. Hoping to secondary him next to my trusted Zelda. Dreams do come true.

Seraphim.

Smash Ace
NNID
Seraphim35
I don't even care if he isn't better than Marth, I've always thought Roy was cooler. Also it's cool to see all 3 FE lords on one roster finally.

regal68

Smash Cadet
I don't even care if he isn't better than Marth, I've always thought Roy was cooler. Also it's cool to see all 3 FE lords on one roster finally.
Na son, we need to add Lyn and permahack Hector over Ike.

EDIT: And change Marth to Chrom (which I hope they do for SSB4).

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
I'm interested in getting him in my hands to really see what's changed. Going to be fun switching between Marth, Ike, and Roy.

Aside from the obvious Double Edge Dance changes, I believe I spotted:
- New B-Air
- New D-Smash
- New N-Air
- Wall-jump out of Blazer NOPE

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Only took like 3 years under the hood to finish him

No joke. They were working on Roy back in the early days. Its taken all this time to get him done.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
I'm interested in getting him in my hands to really see what's changed. Going to be fun switching between Marth, Ike, and Roy.

Aside from the obvious Double Edge Dance changes, I believe I spotted:
- New B-Air
- New D-Smash
- New N-Air
- Wall-jump out of Blazer
There is no wall jump. That was a wall tech.

EDIT: Ninja'd

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
That was definitely a wall jump tech. Charizard hit him into the side of the stage. He did have a different up-tilt, though.
That was my first guess. Wasn't too sure because it happened pretty quick. Post edited.

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
The idea of Roy never dawned on me until I saw the actual castle in Castle Siege and when I saw his boots and Sword of Seals... This was like a love note to Sethlon.

rundas1234

Smash Cadet
hype, but wheres mewtwo :O

this confirms that mewtwo/doc/pichu?/young link will return?

Kneato

Totoro Joe
#basedPMBR

Actually though, Roy is awesome news, but the clone engine is what really blows me away. Is it a true clone engine, where multiple new characters can be added (here's looking at Mewtwo) or did the PMBR just manage to make an extra character slot out of PokeTrainer and workaround all the bugs associated with putting a character in that slot?

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
YEAH! Finally!

I tried to main Roy in Melee, but I kept getting myself destroyed by Foxes, Marths, and even LINKS!

Hopefully this is a tougher Roy that I can get comfortable and good with! I have a placeholder main MARIO for the time being. With a Wario second. But Roy could easily be above those two, especially because I don't use him in Melee anymore, and he's not in Brawl.

Keep up the good work PM team! Can't wait for that PM version that includes Roy to come out! (hopefully before January!)

Kneato

Totoro Joe
hype, but wheres mewtwo :O

this confirms that mewtwo/doc/pichu?/young link will return?

Doc has been incorporated into Mario's moveset, and young link into Tlink's so I doubt they will see a return. It took PMBR literally years to get Roy in, so I think they wouldn't be putting a ton more into the game. Between Pichu and M2, it looks like M2 has a much higher demand, therefor a larger chance of being included.

regal68

Smash Cadet
Marth is the original Fire Emblem lord. It doesn't make much sense to replace him.

Yeah, maybe in Japan he has earned that sort of respect/god status but certainly not in America. Marth/Roy weren't even going to be in the NA Melee originally. Objectively, Marth is a faceless, generic, hero with very little development, and he isn't even epic/exciting/anything in his games. Also Chrom is an excellent character that has been received excellently. Of course, they likely won't do it (but I'm not entirely sure how rabid Japan is about Marth, I know they like Chrom a lot too). I'd be very happy with even a cannon Marth skin as Lucina and/or replacing Ike with Chrom (Ike is definitely toast). Man, I would love cannon alt costumes in SSB4.

regal68

Smash Cadet
Just confirmed it in the other thread, Roy can turn around during his DED; it wasn't a another DED, or a new neutral b.

Cheesedork

Smash Apprentice
Sometimes I don't understand the Project: M mindset.
They revamp Sonic, Lucas, Lucario, Charizard, Ivysaur, and especially Wario, but they re-clone Falco and make little change to Ganondorf, and Toon Link.
And now Roy looks more or less unchanged.

That said, I'm looking forward to playing Roy in P:M, as well as everything else in the next update.

regal68

Smash Cadet
No way man!? They changed the brawl characters?!!/sarcasm Every melee high tier is basically cloned. Gdorf is massively improved but plays the same as Melee dorf and Tink plays a lot like Yink mixed witth Tink. Also Roy looks 100% better.

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
Roy may have a lot of similar looking moves but does not look the same. He looks far more agile and actually able to combo now. His combo game looks super stylin' and fun.

THE QXTR

Smash Rookie
NNID
BrownCountdown
3DS FC
4484-8600-8289
All I can really say is thank you PM Dev team and PMBR this is unbelievable.

Also Long Live the Clone Engine lol

Top Bottom