• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roys grabs are terrible

JeanPaulBadjo

Smash Rookie
Hey everyone,

Trying to get better at smash and I think I will be mailing Roy. I realized that I need to use my grabs more often but roys grabs are all weak and don't kill. Am I using them wrong? Should I not even bother using his grabs? What advice can you give me?

Forblazen

Smash Rookie
you use Dthrow to combo at early percents and fthrow most of the time to chase

upthrow is the only thing considered a kill throw but it kill generally at 170

Also Roy's grab is far from terrible

Last edited:

Veenon

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 2421-1779-6504
I know at early percents you can Jab -> Grab -> DThrow -> Double-Edge Blade

In fact, I suggest always doing Jab before using Grab if possible at early percent. It's essentially free damage.

Other follow-ups you can do from D-Throw are:

●Jab to Blazer
●Jab to sourspot N-Air
●Jab to F-Air to sourspot D-Tilt (Could be DI-able. I haven't labbed much)
●Raw F-Smash
●Raw Double-Edge Blade
●Raw Blazer
●Raw U-Smash
●D-Smash if timed right
●Jab to F-Smash
●F-Tilt into Dash Attack (This could chain, but I doubt it)
●D-Air to D-Tilt
●D-Air to F-Smash

That's all I know from labbing Roy most of these should be true combos at early percent. Anyone feel free to add more to this or correct me. True info is the best kind.

Shame we can't bait airdodge with D-Throw F-Smash anymore rip ://

GdspdUblkprzdnt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GdspdUblkprzdnt
Back throw is also a really good mixup at low percentages since your opponent will fear the dthrow and DI in a way thag you can exploit.

Roy's grabs can set up some fearsome stuff if your opponent gets grabbed without a double jump. Aggressively grabbing your opponents landing and playing the subsequent yomi game when they start to cover their landings with attacks can set up some good opportunities.

ILOVESMASH

Smash Ace
NNID
Marioman123450
3DS FC
3368-1022-7382
Up-throw actually isn't too bad either for trapping the opponent into up air combos. Works better on chrom, but isn't too bad on Roy.

Giulianocom

Smash Rookie
Hey man, so the grabs aren't bad for combos, down throw and up throw specifically. But in later percents i probably wouldn't be looking for grabs. best option imo is crossing up the opponent with short hop nairs and your best friend is tilts. Foward and up tilt will kill on roy at pretty low percents and are obviously safer than smash attacks. Short hopping a Fair or nair immediately into a tilt is always a good kill option as you aerials will do decent damage to shield and people will usually drop shield thinking they are safe and thats when you tilt which comes out decently fast. Hope that helps man.

godogod

Smash Ace
I remember the good old down throw-->blazer from smash 4. Almost forgot about it.. will deinitely try down throw-->jab--> blazer and other combos mentioned.

Odd_0ne

Smash Cadet
NNID
MusicHero64
3DS FC
4124-5828-2172
His throws are good for setting up combos but also frame traps and catching those air dodges. dthrow to fsmash still works :upsidedown:

JustTheTipperR

Smash Rookie
Roy's back throw is pretty good at mid-high percents when you're at the ledge. It pops them up at basically at a 45-degree angle and not too far away from Roy. A lot of people panic since they're at the ledge and will spam jump right away which allows you to catch them with a quick b-air or reposition yourself to follow up with something different depending on how they react.

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
Yeah his grab game is pretty bad past around 5% when down throw doesn't true combo but I guess he'd be too good onstage with a decent kill throw or a consistent combo throw

Top Bottom