• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roy Video Thread 2.0

odinNJ

Smash Lord
you recorded at no johns, man i picked the wrong time to miss. but im gonna be frequenting tourneys for a bit ( 10 days) so i might get you guys some vids of my rusty roy. hopefully after playing for like 9 hours ill be back up to where i was before.

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
So after a 5 month break, I'm back, and re-motivated.. ^^

NEW video(s) of my roy (more to come) but I'd like some advice on the Young Link MU.... We all know Axe's Young Link has emerged...nearly beating box, and others... this MU is rather fun and interesting, and wonder what you all think ^^; Enjoy <3.. comments appreciated.. ^^

Axe (Ylink) vs Vman (Roy) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we51vzRjOYY

Melee!!!!!!

Hi roy Boards ^^
^Copy and pasted from other thread ^^; <3 thanks guys

odinNJ

Smash Lord
You were playing pretty intellegently though, you wouldve had the win if you had capitalized more on the grabs in the last stock, man, i need to go to more tournaments :(

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
WAY WAY too much side-b and d-tilt.

if the first hit of side-b hits a shield stop attacking with it. use a d-tilt after or WD back.

also you approached with d-tilt everytime. mix it up with grab or cross up aerials

odinNJ

Smash Lord
lmao, honestly, against falcon DED is just my road map. obviously if the first hit is nulled its time to take a step back and not get shield rapedgrabbed. also, dtilt can be scary against falc because crouching + knee = bad time for roy.

odinNJ

Smash Lord
Yeah but it hits you at that perfect arc where you just miss the ledge. Screw the knee

odinNJ

Smash Lord
wheres the DED at. besides that i love your aggro style. reminds me of mine, except with less DED, and ledgedash grabs

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Ded isn't spammable like you think. Its fantastic but only at certain positions

:phone:

odinNJ

Smash Lord
I never thought it was spammable, its just that vs ganon spacing is crucial, and the DED is an incredible spacing tool, thus it would be used often in the matchup.

also, one situation in which it is particularly good is when the opponent is alive

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
DED is pretty spammable, but its only really useful in that sense if you're going for a "Nya-nya I've got a sword, you can't touch me" style, which you definitely aren't Ripple haha. Much more of a speedster instead.

That actually makes it really hard for me to critique your video too, since I'm not a speedster myself lol. I could tell you some things I'd do differently, but that would be more of a different mindset than things you're doing wrong.

odinNJ

Smash Lord
I use DED in a more of a "SLOW DOWN" sense. i really value controlling the pace of the match when i play roy, and the DED lets me do just that. if i want to be aggro i need it less, if i want to be defensive its priceless.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
any critique is welcome sethlon. I probably should learn a slow style for certain match ups.

odinNJ

Smash Lord
no ripple, always remember this.

GOTTA GO FAST.

i love watching fast roy, seems like what roy should be.

but i do agree that defensive roy has its benefits. like not getting ***** by falcon.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
you're crazy, slow characters get destroyed by falcon. the only way to beat falcon is to go faster than him. that's how I've always beat them

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
I actually use the complete opposite mindset; falcon moves faster than Roy (and has a lot of scary moves that he can use out of his speed, like grab, knee and uair (which beats out pretty much everything we do from a platform height)).

For falcon IMO its all about pressuring him into a corner. His out of shield options aren't very good. My gameplan pretty much goes like this;
Get him to shield something (preferably a fair or a dtilt).
Poke at shield from outside of grab distance (which isn't very hard, falcon's shield grab isn't very scary) with dtilt/DED tap/sometimes jab/fair
This puts falcon in a sticky situation; assuming you've cornered him to near the edge of the stage, he doesn't have many options. He can try to nair/knee/dair out of shield, but DED will tap him out of that, and then you can either uair to try to eat his double jump or go back into poking. If he rolls, none of the moves you're poking with have much lag, so you should be able to turn and grab/dtilt him for some decent damage and start cornering him again off the tech chase. Same for spot dodge. If he sits there and does nothing he risks getting shield stabbed by dtilt or grabbed (if you're catching on to his hesitation).

odinNJ

Smash Lord
Let me explain, roy can't match falcon in raw speed, so why try, what Roy does have is range (ha) and edge guarding. Falcons approaches are limited, and Roy has great defense options, ded, grab range, great wave dash length. It's easier to outepace, punish and edge guard with impunity

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I actually have a set of me vs. sethlon from awhile ago, but we're both so rusty I didn't upload it.

yes, I still have it

camerino1

Smash Lord
Yes I really do. I see a lot of things I'm doing wrong because I fiiiiiiiinally have a way to watch myself back, but hearing from you guys would be nice.

vZakat

Half Genie
Okay, I'll use time stamps to point out things and then give an overview of your gameplay.

1:01 - That was a very unsafe up b. You were easily in position to just catch the ledge which would have been the better choice.

1:05 - I'm guessing the up b was because of the clank there so i'll let it slide but just saying that I saw that >_> lol

1:12 - Try to learn the spacing for side b. Marth was clearly too low. After the first hit whiffing you should have stopped there and changed tactics. You do the side b as an edge guard a lot but he's almost always too low. Holding the edge and forcing him onto the stage or doing the light shield thing would be a lot better.

1:14-1:20 - There was just a lot of sloppy movement and spacing here. You should probably return to neutral and dash dance after stuff like that because continuing can be very unsafe. The marth didn't really punish you for it though.

1:32 - Marth landed on the platform so it should have been obvious that an fsmash wouldn't have worked. Wavelanding on the platform and shielding or just an uair would have been better overall

1:35 - You waited in your shield way too long. Seeing that marth was facing you in shield should prompt you to run to avoid a grab. Heck he had enough time to land, shield, and shield grab you while you just sat there in your shield.

1:38 - Since marth was on the ground and hadn't done any moves, any ledge option without invincibility was unsafe here. Rolling or ledge hop air dodge would have been a lot safer.

1:49 - Flare blade is a horrible edge guard against marth. Again holding the ledge and forcing him to get on the stage or doing the light shield thing is much better. You do this a lot throughout the matches and you were punished pretty much every time. This is the only instance I'll point it out though to save me time writing lol

1:54 - lol don't roll so much. Hella unsafe but the marth just didn't punish you for it.

2:00 - Hella unsafe nair. Any full hop aerial is gonna be unsafe if marth is on the ground

2:12 - lol nair the wrong way

2:14 - After the seeing he missed the tech, waiting in shield would have been the best choice to cover all his possible options. From shield you could have shield grabbed the get up attack or wavedash grab to catch any roll.

2:21 - A grab here would have been much better than a dtilt.

2:31 - I looked liked you charged the neutral b a little bit before letting it go. If you are gonna jump out there and do that move make sure to get it out immediately so that your opponent doesn't have time to react with an air dodge.

2:36 - Another bad side b instance

2:50 - Another bad full hop aerial.

2:56 - Why you stand there so long? lol

3:03 - I don't think I need to say what went wrong here lol

3:09 - This is where you'd want to use a neutral b. When marth and other floaty characters are at high percents, that is the only move that you can follow an dtilt with.

3:14 - Try and space side b a bit further back so that you aren't shield grabbed. Kind of a more obvious thing to point out lol

3:22 - That was a counter out of fear. Try not to do those. Try not to do anything because you are scared.

3:30 - Bad side b. Should have grabbed.

4:00 - Don't forget that marth's aerials come out really fast so be careful by the edge. An ftilt would have been a better choice because of it's faster speed.

Well I think I'm only gonna comment on the first match because this is starting to get long and the second match was a lot of the same kinda stuff. The main flaw in your gameplay is your lack of knowledge of roy's threatening range. You apply very little pressure. Roy's grab is one of his key points in doing this and you grabbed very little in the matches. You're punish game is very lacking as well. There were many opportunities where you could have made a counter attack but either didn't see them or had positioning such that you couldn't react to it even if you did see it. Working on how to pressure more with dash dancing and what things you can do from there is what I think should be your first main focus. Also a lot of your follow ups seem like you have an idea in your head and you try to do that regardless of how your opponent DI's. You need to watch your opponents DI and adapt accordingly. Try to have positioning such that you can cover all his options or react to them. I didn't really cover the positioning stuff but I think this gives you a good start on improving your game. I hope this helps. :)

camerino1

Smash Lord
Mhmm, thank you. I'll start working on these things tonight after my shift. It's really sucked not having videos of myself to watch all this time, but I'll make a point to focus on what you're saying.

Top Bottom