• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Roy Social - R O Y B O Y Z

Fledge

Smash Cadet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o7JGtqQyG8

Even if Ryo didn't win the set, shout out to Abadango for having his Mewtwo getting defeated by who he considers one of the worst characters in the game and having to switch to another character just to gain the upper hand.
It was an incredible match, wasn't it? I saw Abadango's tier list from January with Roy wayyyy in bottom tier, I wonder if this match with Ryo will make him reconsider Roy's placing now, especially since he was not only pressured to switch characters but the whole set was regardless very close, could have gone either way, and Ryo possibly would have even won the whole set if he hadn't accidentally SD'd in the next-to-last match. Abadango looked practically winded by the end and genuinely impressed.

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
It was an incredible match, wasn't it? I saw Abadango's tier list from January with Roy wayyyy in bottom tier, I wonder if this match with Ryo will make him reconsider Roy's placing now, especially since he was not only pressured to switch characters but the whole set was regardless very close, could have gone either way, and Ryo possibly would have even won the whole set if he hadn't accidentally SD'd in the next-to-last match. Abadango looked practically winded by the end and genuinely impressed.
Players like Ryo clearly show that Roy does have what it takes for competitive play with the right mentality, it's just that I can understand where pro players are coming from, why risk up close and personal when spacing gets you just as much and is much safer? Still doesn't deter me from using our boy though.

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
I came here to post this, but you beat me to it. I was in the crowd watching this match and it was my personal highlight of Smashcon.
Muffin from Xanadu? :eyes:

Players like Ryo clearly show that Roy does have what it takes for competitive play with the right mentality, it's just that I can understand where pro players are coming from, why risk up close and personal when spacing gets you just as much and is much safer? Still doesn't deter me from using our boy though.
It's a common misconception that Roy doesn't space, or shouldn't space, or his "optimal playstyle" doesn't account for spacing. Spacing is just as important to Roy as other characters, it's a matter of learning when to space sweets and when to space sours lol.

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
Roy is a swordsman just like all the others. Sweetspots come from punishes or strings, but otherwise there's close to no reason not to space well all the time.
Muffin from Xanadu? :eyes:

It's a common misconception that Roy doesn't space, or shouldn't space, or his "optimal playstyle" doesn't account for spacing. Spacing is just as important to Roy as other characters, it's a matter of learning when to space sweets and when to space sours lol.
When you put it that way, yeah it's true. Speaking of tournaments, I got 9th place at a local tourney using Lucina and Roy as my mains last Saturday.

Last edited:

godogod

Smash Ace
He's no doubt a great roy and a top player, but I also think Abadango under estimated him just like people understimated fighting against Mewtwo in Pound and before. Not many people play with Roy and get this far, so there's more of a surprise factor of fighting against a character you don't fight often enough.

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
When you put it that way, yeah it's true. Speaking of tournaments, I got 9th place at a local tourney using Lucina and Roy as my mains last Saturday.
Congrats :)

He's no doubt a great roy and a top player, but I also think Abadango under estimated him just like people understimated fighting against Mewtwo in Pound and before. Not many people play with Roy and get this far, so there's more of a surprise factor of fighting against a character you don't fight often enough.
That's true. People also tend to over-emphasize Roy's flaws. He's a character that def has flaws, but also has some really good strengths to him as well. Roy can be quite scary to fight in many situations lol.

brostulip

Smash Rookie
It's a shame that Roy in this game is the bottom of the Emblem heap, but that won't stop mah boy!

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
Can you really say Roy is the lowest of the low tiers after what Ryo did to Abadango? I think that what hurts him the most is lack of results. Especially considering how this one seems to be based mostly of results, Cloud number 2 even though he has yet to win a major? Diddy number 1 again? Yeah, I don't think so.

Last edited:

Seraphim.

Smash Ace
NNID
Seraphim35
Roy dropping was pretty much inevitable given how much people have been adamant about him being overrated and a bottom 5 character.

So that newest tier list strikes me as odd. Roy has better results and upsets at all levels (local, regional, national, international) than almost all low tiers and some mid tiers, yet he's.... 6th worst? If we're ranking him in terms of results, which a tier list should do, he should be right behind Lucina, or higher in low tier. I feel it's a lot of armchair smasher bias with voting, a lot of anti-Roy bias and vitriolic behavior towards the character that the community's had for a while, and the results he does have being overlooked when it came to making the list. Plus it doesn't account for Ryo's recent performance at Super Smash Con, or recent results with LTC and Smash Con. At LTC, Sethlon placed 17th with solo Roy, and at SSC, Ryo used him as a reliable pick vs. a top player in top 16 for four games, and Sethlon (solo Roy) plus StaticManny (Roy pocket, don't know how much he used him) placed 50th-ish, while Ryo (another Roy pocket) made him a reliable pick in top 16, and this was at a 1k+ tournament.

I'm mostly worried about the list because I don't want Roy's position just outside of bottom 5 hurting his meta, it really can't afford it at this point. I've been second-guessing myself more when I play the worse he's regarded.

Oh well, the new list has a lot of placings that don't make sense in general. Now Roy's undoubtedly going to be legal at more low-tier tournies, so I won't have to learn another character, and this just means more people are going to sleep on him. When his inevitable rise comes, it'll be that much more satisfying.

Seraphim.

Smash Ace
NNID
Seraphim35
Roy also suffers from pretty bad misconceptions about him, lots of people keep trying to act like he isn't a swordsman and shouldn't be played like one. I have no idea why people think Roy has to go running full speed into someone to get actual damage, sourspots deal decent damage and knockback, this isn't Melee where Roy landing a sourspot leads to him getting punished.

Low-tier tournaments with Roy will be fun though.

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
Really enjoyed watching Shine Top 8. Dath making it all the way to 3rd place with solo Robin was such a treat. :)

Oh yeah, anyone know if there's a way to delete/deactivate my smashboards account? I can't find anything and don't know where to ask

All the site does is make me angry, and all of my posts (especially recent ones) are super cringey and I just don't feel like having them up anymore

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
Just finished with the Roy - Corrin online character crew battle. It had a record number of sign-ups, with a whopping 29 sign-ups on the Roy side alone, for a 10 v 10 crew battle full of very interesting matches. It was last stock last hit, but the Corrins were juuust able to clutch it out. Oh well, we'll get 'em next time lol.

Roy Corrin.jpg

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
Sorry for the double post, but if you guys wanted to watch the CB, it's uploaded onto youtube now.

godogod

Smash Ace
Just finished with the Roy - Corrin online character crew battle. It had a record number of sign-ups, with a whopping 29 sign-ups on the Roy side alone, for a 10 v 10 crew battle full of very interesting matches. It was last stock last hit, but the Corrins were juuust able to clutch it out. Oh well, we'll get 'em next time lol.

View attachment 117125
oh god.. that pic of the stage gives me bad feels.

Nintendo really should have just left the FE theme in Hyrule Temple after melee. That was the main reason why I played that stage in melee. /:

Troykv

Smash Master
For every fan from the classical Fire Emblem... I invite you to see this video by Xator Nova talking about Thracia 776.

The video has notes with english subtitules.

Last edited:

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
The Roys played the Mii Fighters this past weekend in a 10v10 character crew battle. We ended up winning with 11 stocks to spare. Here is a link to the vod for those that want to see how it went.

Roy130390

Smash Rookie
Hi community, I just joined to share my love for this (in my opinion) really underrated character. I'm no pro, but I've been playing Smash since the first entry. Finding so much negativity about the character everywhere, it's nice to meet some players who share my positive perspective on him.

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
Heyo, welcome to Smashboards!

Tbh, there aren't many Roys left here. Most of the people that actively play Roy hang out in the discord group, from what I can tell.

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
Hello my old Friend
This in particular makes me think of an old song, one I think might be relevant, considering the quiet state here lmao.

Also, Hello back my old Friend :p

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
This in particular makes me think of an old song, one I think might be relevant, considering the quiet state here lmao.

Also, Hello back my old Friend :p
I was literally think of that exact song as I wrote what i did ahaha

I've come to talk to you again :p

:135:

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
I was literally think of that exact song as I wrote what i did ahaha

I've come to talk to you again :p

Because a vision softly creeping,
Left its seeds while I was sleeping.
And the vision that was planted in my brain
still remains, within the sound of silence. ~

Nice to break up the silence every now and then. :D

I've been playing a bit of Mii Swordfighter on the side for fun, and the one I like best is the Lloyd Irving costume, from Tales of Symphonia. Reminds me of how much I love that old game lol. I've also found some pretty awesome remixes for some of the songs, so here's a really good one imo. Helps break up the silence. ;)

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Because a vision softly creeping,
Left its seeds while I was sleeping.
And the vision that was planted in my brain
still remains, within the sound of silence. ~

Nice to break up the silence every now and then. :D

I've been playing a bit of Mii Swordfighter on the side for fun, and the one I like best is the Lloyd Irving costume, from Tales of Symphonia. Reminds me of how much I love that old game lol. I've also found some pretty awesome remixes for some of the songs, so here's a really good one imo. Helps break up the silence. ;)

*World slowly fades to grey

YES YES IT IS!!!! SORRY, DON'T MIND THE YELLING. I YELL WHEN I'M NERVOUS!

Mii swordfighter is actually an extremely fun and unrated character. Yeah the Lloyd costume is one of my favs (along with Chrom, Link and Duban)
Tbh, I've never actually played a Tales of Symphonia game, so i don't know much about the music. But i'll definitely give a listen to this

the_muffin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
muffinduck01
Tales of Symphonia has been on my "I should really play this" list for years, basically since it came out. It's a shame all of the recent re-releases have been pretty meh compared to the original.

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
Anybody ordered some amiibo?
WP_20160729_001.jpg

3 Roy players getting top 32 at Smash the Record 2016 got me hyped enough to post this, if only Roy's tournament results were always like that, oh well, btw, does anyone know why VoiD and ScAtt used him?

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
Anybody ordered some amiibo?
View attachment 121062
3 Roy players getting top 32 at Smash the Record 2016 got me hyped enough to post this, if only Roy's tournament results were always like that, oh well, btw, does anyone know why VoiD and ScAtt used him?
Void and Scatt have long since had pocket Roys. Void in particular has mentioned that he's always found Roy fun, but just doesn't really know what match-ups he'd use Roy for, which is why he doesn't use him that much in more serious matches.

I preordered my Roy amiibo, I still have this picture saved from when I got him lol. He's still sitting on my desk lol, but I don't do much with the amiibo otherwise.

roy amiibo and pokken.JPG

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
Void and Scatt have long since had pocket Roys. Void in particular has mentioned that he's always found Roy fun, but just doesn't really know what match-ups he'd use Roy for, which is why he doesn't use him that much in more serious matches.

I preordered my Roy amiibo, I still have this picture saved from when I got him lol. He's still sitting on my desk lol, but I don't do much with the amiibo otherwise.

View attachment 121122
I named mine Teh Ph1r3. Yes, I am aware it's really cliche but I think it fits his fire motif well. I personally do the following: For MU's where I think I can rush'em down, I use Roy, for MU's where proper zoning is essential, I use Marth, for MU's where I feel I simply need to get as much leverage as possible, I use Lucina.
I'm still sharing this little article for anyone interested.

Opinions. Let's talk about Wada Arco's Micaiah DLC Art.
Really nice. Great to see you are doing good Troyk.

Troykv

Smash Master
I named mine Teh Ph1r3. Yes, I am aware it's really cliche but I think it fits his fire motif well. I personally do the following: For MU's where I think I can rush'em down, I use Roy, for MU's where proper zoning is essential, I use Marth, for MU's where I feel I simply need to get as much leverage as possible, I use Lucina.
Really nice. Great to see you are doing good Troyk.
Thanks Ark! I dedicated a lot of effort to do this... And I'm now doing a new article (I would like to have some help, I indicate how in the Micaiah Support Thread)

Top Bottom