• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Roy Social - R O Y B O Y Z

Dropping in to share some really important news.

Okay, so take a close look at this image:
It is official merch and promotional material for the TCG.

The TCG and amiibo have been tied to bringing characters into Fates, with cards being limited to Japan. Japanese development for downloadable content is still going on, not just localization.

I will leave it at that.

Also, check out Eliwood and Nino here:

Pretty cool stuff. There's other Cipher news here:
http://serenesforest.net/2016/05/23...new-cards-and-art-for-coming-sets/#more-32110

It's nice to see some of my favorite lords, Eliwood and Sigurd, see some modern attention after so long.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"

The TCG and amiibo have been tied to bringing characters into Fates, with cards being limited to Japan. Japanese development for downloadable content is still going on, not just localization.

I will leave it at that.
Is that.....

Please tell me that is a Roy spite that I see there?

Is Roy coming to fates?!

:135:

Last edited:

Airpoizon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
(Private)
3DS FC
0946-2898-1267

I will leave it at that.

http://serenesforest.net/2016/05/23...new-cards-and-art-for-coming-sets/#more-32110

It's nice to see some of my favorite lords, Eliwood and Sigurd, see some modern attention after so long.
Ah yes I saw that.
There's also this:

Attachments

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Is that.....

Please tell me that is a Roy spite that I see there?

Is Roy coming to fates?!

I think I saw some more sprites with the characters running and Roy was there too.

On the other hand, this is not really promotional for Fates necessarily, as this includes Sigurd which is basically used to promote Genealogy-cards. So I'd say it's Cipher-based most likely than Fates.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
I think I saw some more sprites with the characters running and Roy was there too.

On the other hand, this is not really promotional for Fates necessarily, as this includes Sigurd which is basically used to promote Genealogy-cards. So I'd say it's Cipher-based most likely than Fates.
But.... but

*sigh

I just want Roy's in Fates

One thought still remains: Why would multiple, distinctly-different sprites that take a lot of effort to make be Cipher-only? Seems odd to me that sprites which would apply to multiple functional actions in Fates would be limited to the TCG. I don't see why Fates-style sprites would be used for the sole purpose of hyping up the TCG, especially if they include sprites that Fates players are used to. I figure there'd be extra artwork or more cards (like how there's multiple Ikes with different art and rarity) for that purpose.

JCav

Smash Lord
Can someone post the link to the doc Serew Serew made for Rosalina? I played against one yesterday and could have used the knowledge.

Valzy

Smash Cadet

I will leave it at that.

There's a FE TCG?

Serew

Smash Apprentice
Last edited:

JCav

Smash Lord
So here's something I noticed from watching @Katakiri's set that was posted recently, and from my own experience. Check out

https://youtu.be/_bkTTl25y8Y?t=4m37s

DED hits a shield, and DarkShad rolls behind Katakiri. From my own experience, people almost always roll behind because DED can punish other options like roll away or grab (if they don't time it perfectly).

This is prime f-smash material. I watched @Sethlon's match analysis and he mentions that DED 2 on shield is safe and hard to punish.

I haven't successfully landed this yet, but I'll be looking for it.

Jiom

Smash Journeyman
Good mixup if you space it well on shield. It's not necessarily safe but you can continue with the next swing to potentially beat out what they try to do.
If they pick defensive options like the one you showed, or whiff because of your spacing, it's definitely going to lead into a punish when you're on the lookout.

Also you can condition them into thinking you use all the swings to potentially be safe, or vice versa, that you end abruptly and just carry on with the rest of the attack when they decide to drop shield.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
One thought still remains: Why would multiple, distinctly-different sprites that take a lot of effort to make be Cipher-only? Seems odd to me that sprites which would apply to multiple functional actions in Fates would be limited to the TCG. I don't see why Fates-style sprites would be used for the sole purpose of hyping up the TCG, especially if they include sprites that Fates players are used to. I figure there'd be extra artwork or more cards (like how there's multiple Ikes with different art and rarity) for that purpose.
I think some people in FE Reddit had said that doing sprites isn't really that difficult, especially by such professionals in the industry - so that might be just possible.

In whole, we have to yet hear any news over Roy and his implementation despite Amiibo being release over a month ago. Dunno what to think of that. :dizzy:

Serew

Smash Apprentice
So here's something I noticed from watching @Katakiri's set that was posted recently, and from my own experience. Check out

https://youtu.be/_bkTTl25y8Y?t=4m37s

DED hits a shield, and DarkShad rolls behind Katakiri. From my own experience, people almost always roll behind because DED can punish other options like roll away or grab (if they don't time it perfectly).

This is prime f-smash material. I watched @Sethlon's match analysis and he mentions that DED 2 on shield is safe and hard to punish.

I haven't successfully landed this yet, but I'll be looking for it.
DED 2 isn't safe on shield btw. but, people indeed tend to roll behind alot after DED 2, and i've been experimenting with it and tbh, it works pretty good as a mixup! i like it :D

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
DED 2 isn't safe on shield btw. but, people indeed tend to roll behind alot after DED 2, and i've been experimenting with it and tbh, it works pretty good as a mixup! i like it :D
All of the shield-grabs. ;)

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
What do you think are good Roy buffs? Personally I think: All sweetspoted moves have more hitlag, making them less punishable, all aerials except nair and dair are stronger and have less landing lag(up 9>13%, lag 13>10, foward 11>13.5%, lag 13>11, back 12>14%, lag 14>11, down lag 23>16, neutral lag 11>9), foward, up tilt and dash attack deal 2% more damage and have more KBG, first hit of DED gives vertical momentum helping recovery, aerial Blazer gives more vertical distance, up throw has more KBG, koing in the 145-155% range.

JCav

Smash Lord
So I was watching a few of Sethlon's videos today and I noticed how he was using wavebounced DED to land. I remember in one of his analysis videos, he was talking about whether DED of Flare Blade is better to use when mixing up your landings. Kurogane Hammer lists Flare Blade with FAF (first actionable frame) on frame 45 and DED with FAF 42.

However, I was looking over patch notes today to find that DED actually has FAF in the air on frame 31. Here's the link for 1.1.4 changes:

http://www.ssbwiki.com/List_of_updates_(SSB4)/1.1.4_changelog

You can see that this makes using a wavebounced DED a quicker option when landing. My bad if this is actually known, but I just saw this today and wanted to share. In my opinion, there's a situation for wavebouncing both of these moves as well as b reversing flare blade (remember that wavebounce and b reverse are not the same).

This brings me to my next point, wavebouncing with Roy is really good. You can even do it on the ground (which is called c bouncing). Check out this link:

http://smashboards.com/threads/sheik-tech-c-bounce.409439/ )

This is something that I've been trying to implement, but there's only a 2 frame window to press the c stick and b at the same time. This is a great safe option to approach, and can also cover a tech roll in after f throw or d tilt.

I went to four tournaments over the weekend, and I had a lot of matches recorded that I'll be posting as they get uploaded. I think I pulled off a c bounce successfully once but I'll be using a lot now.

Tldr: wavebouncing is really good, and there's a lot of untapped potential with it.

Jiom

Smash Journeyman
You might only need to C stick for the grounded wavebounce variation. I think because of our fast "run stop" it makes it easy to do a neutral flare blade out of it, and also a turnaround once you get the timing of the buffer.

Another thing interesting to note about turnaround flare blade, there are two timings. One gives you slight reversed momentum and if you do it later, you can do one that seems to halt your momentum.

Oh and if you get dash attack or side b, it means you are doing the inputs during too early. We still have a bad initial dash so we have to perform it later than the times sheik can.

https://gfycat.com/RichCharmingHalcyon 1. wavebounce 2. neutral 3. turnaround

Maybe I can get a video of how they look with roy later.

Edit: ok here it is with roy https://gfycat.com/BriskRigidAcornweevil
1st was wavebounce
2nd was turnaround without momentum
3rd was turnaround with momentum
4th was neutral

Keep in mind you have to do this out of a run

Last edited:

Serew

Smash Apprentice
JCav JCav yeah correct, pretty sure this was discussed in the stream, personally i prefer neutral b when landing cause you have no lag after the hitbox, where DED has less overall frames but more after hitbox. i like to use DED for aerial mixups though, sometimes i approach/jump back, wavebounce DED where they are now and then attack with an aerial. It's another good way of getting things like up air setups (you do need to be slightly above fullhop length to do this though, but it's a good mixup.)

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Although aerial DED is 30 frames, if you land with it they do so magic maths to push you towards the standard 40 frames of end lag.

At least that's how it was with Marth's dancing blade during testing in the 3DS days.
So, it's something for mid-air, but in the air to ground transition isn't actually [much] better.

Fledge

Smash Cadet
MasonEliwood made an excellent video a while back demonstrating fundamental (in my experience, essential) uses of wavebounce DED:

JCav is definitely right, while using aerial wavebounced DED I also noticed that Flare Blade has a longer cooldown than DED, and because of the shorter cooldown at full hop DED has an edge in terms of followup aerial options. You can even wavebounce DED into another wavebounced DED at full hop on stage. I recently put together a video to demonstrate these subtle differences:

Last edited:

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
Anyone here play FE6?

Going through it on hard mode, and it's um, hard? But very enjoyable, barring a few moments (goddamn same turn reinforcements)

JCav

Smash Lord
Anyone here play FE6?

Going through it on hard mode, and it's um, hard? But very enjoyable, barring a few moments (goddamn same turn reinforcements)
YES! I beat FE7 first, then FE6, and I'm currently playing FE7 again.

FE6 is a lot of fun, but some parts are frustrating for sure. I'm going to play it again and unlock all of the gaiden chapters. It feels like you gain 1-2 units every chapter, which is pretty cool but it's frustrating that Roy becomes a Great Lord so late in the game. The other thing that frustrated me was that I got A-level support with Roy and Lilina and they just got this ending.

Image.png

I think it might be because it was the translated version but I'm not sure.

Roy is a little too boyscout like to me, but overall I love the characters and both games are great.

Last edited:

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
YES! I beat FE7 first, then FE6, and I'm currently playing FE7 again.

FE6 is a lot of fun, but some parts are frustrating for sure. I'm going to play it again and unlock all of the gaiden chapters. It feels like you gain 1-2 units every chapter, which is pretty cool but it's frustrating that Roy becomes a Great Lord so late in the game. The other thing that frustrated me was that I got A-level support with Roy and Lilina and they just got this ending.

View attachment 108912

I think it might be because it was the translated version but I'm not sure.

Roy is a little too boyscout like to me, but overall I love the characters and both games are great.
Unit balance is completely ****ed on hard, but it's cool how Rutger, Milady and Perceval become gods

And yeah, Roy is comedically bland as a protagonist. He has more personality in smash with his loud grunts, though I do appreciate how he's the tactician of the army.

~Chomp

Smash Cadet
Jesus, have I fallen off of the face of the earth or what? I'll try to be on here more, I promise.
So I found this combo about a month or two back and I know it isn't true, but I was wondering if someone could do it on Wii U and possibly make a gif out of it?
Also, one thing I would adjust in the combo is doing Nair-Jab instead of Uair-Jab at the beginning, or maybe even just raw Jab.
99% sure I posted the video wrong, and excuse the music, but here it is. If I posted it wrong, I'll try to get back to it today or maybe tomorrow.
EDIT: I'd also love to test this on someone with DI, if anyone would be willing later today in two hours-ish, if we can.

Last edited:

Midi Analysis

Smash Rookie
Neat combo, it reminds me very much of Spark's Footstool Jab-lock setup, same overall principle just with a different lead-in and exit:

Hmmm....I knew you could jab lock but I never tried it myself...

Looks like my Blood Boy Roy will be having some new tricks up his sleeve.

~Chomp

Smash Cadet
Neat combo, it reminds me very much of Spark's Footstool Jab-lock setup, same overall principle just with a different lead-in and exit:

Hm, FThrow is interesting, but it seems even more weak to DI than DThrow. And I wished that it didn't lead to FSmash. Nair 1-Jab-DThrow-Double fair is more damage (most of the time) , and I would rather get them farther off the stage without staling my primary kill move. That combo is generally shorter, which obviously helps practice and execution-wise, but the perfect pivot isn't quite as optimal as I would like. Also, that combo relies on a missed tech, but the Nair 2 to footstool instead of straight up sour Bair is something I'll have to test.
Thanks for the info.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I may have said this before, but tipper down tilt into perfect pivot forward ftilt combos at low percent :3

Also PP spacing using ftilt is like the only way this character can handle dealing with Marth. Snuffs him out in the air, he can't punish it [easily] OoS and the step forward of it allows him to out reach many grounded Marth moves.

I still maintain Marth is like Roy's hardest match up (if not, very close to), so if things work against him then every other match up is a cinch.

Also friendly reminder bair is fantastic - tipper bair too.

Last edited:

Saltyman

I'm Already Dead Inside
NNID
JustAnotherNoob
Has anyone taken a close look at Roy's arm in smash 4?

Those forearms.. My God Boy, what you been doing?

Saltyman

I'm Already Dead Inside
NNID
JustAnotherNoob
I really don't think Marth is the worst. I'd say it's probably Diddy.
Definitely. Diddy is one of the only characters who completely beats Roy in neutral. His Recovery is actually difficult to punish safely with roy, has aerial command grab, and effective projectiles for the matchup.

From my experience Roy actually has a slight edge over Marth but loses to Lucina. Just plow through Marth don't try playing the spacing game there. You can take those weak hits and rack up 30%+ off a jab or throw. Lucina can literally just jab and side b, her's are incredibly difficult to get past at lower percents. Good DI can get your out of some of Marth's Strings and his side b for a free hit.

Corrin actually isn't bad at all. She's really restricted to vertical knockback strings, that lance gets blocked by every move Roy has and he can kill Corrin off the sides easily.

Last edited:
"Can I just say.... Roy is hot, like.... I'm not gay, but I'd kiss him, just as a joke. Just cause we'd be like two friends, just, you know, like friends kiss? But Roy, like, he's a good-looking guy, and I'd play as him, and I'd play with him."
-Alpharad in DLC Review – A Story For Glory #1

Top Bottom