• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data Roy Patch Discussion (current patch: 1.1.5)

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Just waiting on my 3DS to install the update, then I can start checking details myself. Can't update Wii U yet because I need to record replays first

ElectricBlade

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Haruhisuzumia
3DS FC
1203-9228-7596
So, just got my hands on the patch. Nothing about Roy seems to be majorly changed so far, but there might be something small that I'm missing.

But real talk, Robin's d-throw is legit now.
Im stuck with Hotel wifi right now, what did they do to Robins Dthrow?

Zio~

The Underdog
NNID
Fabri1794
3DS FC
3711-9383-8936
So, just got my hands on the patch. Nothing about Roy seems to be majorly changed so far, but there might be something small that I'm missing.

Same here, I'm testing his damage output and frame data mostly, so far everything seems the same, and yeah, robin can do some real stuff now

Zio~

The Underdog
NNID
Fabri1794
3DS FC
3711-9383-8936
So far the only thing I've noticed is that flare blade does 1% more damage, and his sourspot on jab does 1% less damage

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Sourspot jab is unchanged. The exact value is a decimal point - 4.8 - which is where the misunderstanding might come from.
I am seeing what appears to be a 1% change to uncharged Flare Blade, but I need someone with the old version to check to confirm.

Guineapig126

Smash Journeyman
Alright, some people are saying U-Smash and F-Smash got KB nerfs. Testing right now, hoping this is just salt.

EDIT: Uncharged Flare Blade always did 6 percent and still is from what I can tell.

Last edited:

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
People on Reddit are saying his jab comes out quicker. Can anyone confirm?

Flukey

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1220-8509-1898

REALLY?1 better dust off my Robin

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer

drogoth232

Smash Lord
Can someone translate lol
A big problem is that the move "names" for the dlc characters (and some normal characters) are in hex. I can try to read most of the information.

I have a good background in brawl modding so I can read the code to some degree, here's the changes that are on Dantarion's mastercore. Just giving general stuff, nothing specific until I get more time.

22f: don't know what, but it has an extra hitbox. It also has another set of data where more hitboxes get added and then removed at the end. Damage for all hitboxes has stayed the same afaik but the kbg for added hitboxes is reduced (sourspots but no damage reduction?)
230: same as above

You guys can choose to believe me or not, but I implore you guys to check out my background in brawl coding both on Smashboards and KCMM.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
A big problem is that the move "names" for the dlc characters (and some normal characters) are in hex. I can try to read most of the information.

I have a good background in brawl modding so I can read the code to some degree, here's the changes that are on Dantarion's mastercore. Just giving general stuff, nothing specific until I get more time.

22f: don't know what, but it has an extra hitbox. It also has another set of data where more hitboxes get added and then removed at the end. Damage for all hitboxes has stayed the same afaik but the kbg for added hitboxes is reduced (sourspots but no damage reduction?)
230: same as above

You guys can choose to believe me or not, but I implore you guys to check out my background in brawl coding both on Smashboards and KCMM.
Based on the damage values, they appear to be Blazer (up-B). I'd worked out that they have less set knockback than the original hitboxes (which are unchanged), but that's as far as I'd gotten.
-------------------
OP update incoming, by the way

drogoth232

Smash Lord
Based on the damage values, they appear to be Blazer (up-B). I'd worked out that they have less set knockback than the original hitboxes (which are unchanged), but that's as far as I'd gotten.
Yep, that's exactly what I forgot to add. Nice catch.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Confirmed: no changes to Roy's frame data, at least as far as my testing shows. So unless something weird turns up out of the blue, the Blazer "sourspot" hitboxes are the only changes we've got.

Last edited:

Nelkoy

Smash Cadet
Confirmed: no changes to Roy's frame data, at least as far as my testing shows. So unless something weird turns up out of the blue, the Blazer "sourspot" hitboxes are the only changes we've got.
Glad to hear. I actually expected a nerf more than a buff, so if Roy stay as he was is pretty good for me.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
So blazer just connects more reliably now? Or does it kill later or something?
Yeah, can someone explain if the additional hitboxes will make a difference for Roy?

I suppose his Fsmash will get a chance to get nerfed... another day. The patch could have been better, but could have been worse. I'll take what we got, with a coke and a side dish of unsalted fries. and I just lost $5

Last edited:

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
Unsalted fries tastes bad though. I like a bit of extra salt on anything, quite honestly

Nelkoy

Smash Cadet
I think is too soon for a nerf, or even a buff, for Roy. There's a lot of things we haven't discovered yet.

I'm impatient to see him in important tournaments and see what results he can reach.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
We've got one more thing: for every character in the game, their invulnerability frames for roll and spot dodge have been reduced by one. So for Roy, he now becomes vulnerable on frame 18 of a spot dodge, as opposed to 19, and for rolls, he becomes vulnerable on frame 19, instead of 20.

FullOfGore

Smash Rookie
NNID
Scardonian
We've got one more thing: for every character in the game, their invulnerability frames for roll and spot dodge have been reduced by one. So for Roy, he now becomes vulnerable on frame 18 of a spot dodge, as opposed to 19, and for rolls, he becomes vulnerable on frame 19, instead of 20.
NOW IT'S LIKE MELEE

I'm glad he was 99% untouched, I was worried all the whining for his f-smash nerf would happen.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
i also play only on the 3DS but they never mentioned the youtube feature for 3DS, the pretty much forgot about the 3ds version just adding the DLC's and patches
"Sigh" yeah...
I didn't think they 3DS has Youtube uploading features. Not even New 3DS.

bound_for_earth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theflaminglefty
phew ok ok i thought the nerfes would be way more drastic
So it looks like we don't have many changes to mull over; just a few extra hitboxes in Blazer.

Confirmed Changes (http://opensa.dantarion.com/s4/raw/diff-128-144/roy.html)
  • Blazer (Up special)
    • Has additional hitboxes, with reduced weight-based knockback (details to be confirmed, apparently the Jigglypuff rage-induced 1HKO is no longer possible)
      • Original hitboxes are unchanged
  • Spot dodge
    • First vulnerable frame 19 -> 18
  • Forward and backward roll
    • First vulnerable frame 20 -> 19

Disconfirmed (please don't post these)
  • Any and all frame data changes not connected to spot-dodges/rolls

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Further updates, courtesy of @LordWilliam1234

Went through Roy's frame data. He didn't receive any frame changes, but he did receive shieldlag changes on all of his sweetspots as well as his Double Edge Dance.

Jab: Self shieldlag on a sweetspot hit reduced by 2 frames, 10 -> 8. Safer on shield.

F-tilt: Self shieldlag on a sweetspot hit reduced by 2 frames, 12 -> 10. Safer on shield.

D-tilt: Self shieldlag on a sweetspot hit reduced by 2 frames, 11 -> 9. Safer on shield.

U-tilt: Self shieldlag on a sweetspot hit reduced by 2 frames, 12 -> 10. Safer on shield.

Dash Attack: Self shieldlag on a sweetspot hit reduced by 3 frames, 13 -> 10. Safer on shield.

F-smash: Self shieldlag on a sweetspot hit reduced by 3 frames, 17 -> 14. Safer on shield.

D-smash: Self shieldlag on a sweetspot front hit reduced by 3 frames, 14 -> 11. Self hitlag on a sweetspot back hit also reduced by 3 frames, 15 -> 12. Safer on shield.

U-smash: Self shieldlag reduced by 2 frames, from 8 -> 6.

N-air: Self shieldlag on a sweetspot hit reduced by 2 frames: 9 -> 7 for the first hit, 10 -> 8 for the second hit. Safer on shield.

F-air: Self shieldlag on a sweetspot hit reduced by 2 frames: 11 -> 9. Safer on shield.

B-air: Self shieldlag on a sweetspot hit reduced by 2 frames, 12 -> 10. Safer on shield.

D-air: Self shieldlag on a sweetspot hit reduced by 3 frames, 14 -> 11. Safer on shield.

U-air: Self shieldlag on a sweetspot hit reduced by 2 frames, 10 -> 8. Safer on shield.

Double Edge Dance: Self shieldlag on Neutral 1-3, Up 1-3, and Down 2-3 reduced by 1 frame. Self shieldlag on Neutral 4 reduced by 3 frames, 12 -> 9. Self shieldlag on Up 4 reduced by 3 frames, 13 -> 10. Self shiellag on the final hit of Down 4 reduced by 2 frames, 11 -> 9. All of this makes each version safer on shield.

Updated my frame data sheet accordingly.

Note that all of this ONLY applies to shieldlag. Hitlag is the same as it was before. And all of his sourspots were unchanged.

I wonder if this is a universal thing for characters who have hitlag modifiers, since this is also the case with Link's spin attack/f-air/f-smash 2 changes that I noted previously; hitlag is unchanged, but the self shieldlag was reduced. Perhaps I should check Ryu and Marth next.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
So basically a buff, even if very minor. Sweet.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Going to be reusing this thread, in the event that Wednesday's patch brings us balance changes. 1.1.0 stuff has been archived in a spoiler (still need to add the shieldlag stuff to the OP though).

Last edited:

Gamesfreak13563

Smash Cadet
University of Illinois @ Urbana-Champaign
"Sigh" yeah...
I didn't think they 3DS has Youtube uploading features. Not even New 3DS.
The feature is cycle-prohibitive to implement on the 3DS. The way it appears to work on the Wii U is that it plays the replay and records/encodes it to a relatively low bitrate H.264 MP4 file, which is not computationally feasible on a small handheld device.

This could easily be fixed if Nintendo abstracted away the computation from the device, i.e. by sending the replay to a server for the server to render it, but that would be pretty expensive.

Last edited:

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
The feature is cycle-prohibitive to implement on the 3DS. The way it appears to work on the Wii U is that it plays the replay and records/encodes it to a relatively low bitrate H.264 MP4 file, which is not computationally feasible on a small handheld device.

This could easily be fixed if Nintendo abstracted away the computation from the device, i.e. by sending the replay to a server for the server to render it, but that would be pretty expensive.
Yeah, it makes sense. Smash replay on the 3DS isn't really a video file.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Yep, looks like we got nothing outside the universal shieldstun changes.

Master Core is reporting a few numbers being changed in some unidentified attacks, but they don't seem to be anything major, and I don't have time to try and work out which move is changed right now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom