• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roy Offstage for dummies

Highscorezero

Smash Rookie
Going offstage with Roy can be broken down into 3 phases the chase, the action, then the recovery

The first step is to commit to going offstage. using your precious first jump to chase someone needs to be timed such that the opponent has limited o no options for example if your opponent has a jump and a recovery it might not be wise to go after them due to your own weakness off stage . be wise if you decide to try and chase them while he has his recovery because you could take your shot and he completely avoid it , you want to get him in a situation where he's either low so he up B's straight up or where's he's far off stage and it's easy to read the angle of their recovery

So you're off stage you're about. Meet with your opponent mow comes the hard part determining whether or not one of your options (f-air, d air neutral b, etc.. )will hit I personally like to forward air or neutral b if their off far to the side , and if their low and close to stage it might a better option b may be to walk off counter, forward air , or JUMP then down air taking care not to accidentally fast fall

YOU WONT ALWAYS HIT THEM you may miss , but your next step is to quickly use your second jump/up b to get back to stage , suicide moves that trade stocks have their place (like if you're at a very high percent and manage to kill ) your first priority is to either get back on stage or stall so your opponent does before you(who is next to impossible for Roy)

Hope this helps someone and feel free to critique or add your own opinions

Last edited:

Benny P

Smash Journeyman
I guess they never miss huh?

Oh yeah time to actually add something. I've actually never thought of using Flare Blade offstage, I'll have to try that now.

Melee Flare Blade/Shield Breaker offstage is a classic EZ melee edgeguard. In Ultimate, Flare Blade takes a little longer, so release the button a tiny bit earlier than you think you should.

Other than that, i can't say much other than try to use an aerial that's appropriate to where your opponent is aligned with you/the stage.
Fair if they're out in front, Nair if they're already fairly close to you, and dair if theyre under you/thestage.

You can also counter if you think they will try to attack "into" you, provided you've kept your jump, or you're already well above the stage ledge.

Hope this helps.

N-Boss

Smash Rookie
NNID
FedoraFriend
3DS FC
0044-3869-2757
Switch FC
SW-6925-3053-9606
Here's an extra step to consider:

Roy can go surprisingly deep off stage as long as you don't use your second jump, this can lead to early stocks as most opponents won't expect you to go so far out. (I'd only recommend this at mid-high percents, since most people are gonna be paying attention to their character and DI & less on you allowing you to dive in without them noticing, also at that knock back they're likely gonna be sent more sideways forcing them to recover horizontally, and when they're forced to approach ledge this way it's easier to land a deep edge guard.)

But lets say your successfully edge guard them, now they're gonna be spooked every time you jump off stage after them, so they're gonna respond with an air dodge or an early Up-B, so what you wanna do is do a non committal jump that keeps you close to the stage, jump again backwards to avoid their Up-B or reposition yourself directly infant of their air dodge, then slapping them with a smash attack.

Sometimes the best thing to do is to not do anything, and let your opponent psych themselves out.

Lonky

Smash Rookie
NNID
ThaLegundOfLonk
A thing that I do is trigger a response by shorthopping off stage without the intention of actually hitting them. It'll trigger a panic-y response which you can take advantage of either with a simple (double jump) fair or returning on stage and preparing for their getup option.
Little side note, Roy's side b pretty much covers everything if done with the right timing, I usually go with the down combination, since it lasts a lot and is able to cover a lot of options even if the timing isn't perfect, but since it lasts a lot if it misses it could lead to an easy punish.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
A thing that I do is trigger a response by shorthopping off stage without the intention of actually hitting them. It'll trigger a panic-y response which you can take advantage of either with a simple (double jump) fair or returning on stage and preparing for their getup option.
Little side note, Roy's side b pretty much covers everything if done with the right timing, I usually go with the down combination, since it lasts a lot and is able to cover a lot of options even if the timing isn't perfect, but since it lasts a lot if it misses it could lead to an easy punish.
Just out of curiosity, what do you do if your bluff gets called?

Top Bottom