• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roy Neutral?

chunkgamergod

Smash Rookie
Boys, I am a "recently" converted Falcon main to Roy. This is my first fighting game ever and this character is super funky. He doesn't have any zoom zoom burst options like Joker DA or Cloud Dtilt something like that. So for neutral I kind of rely on landing fair, dtilt, and nair. I don't really know what I are the IDEAL hit confirms I should be using in neutral. I just find myself landing fairing, nairing, or grabbing into maybe get a string.

Batzanova McMackin

Smash Rookie
Roy's Jab can chain into F Tilt, or into F Smash, and Fair can string into Double Edge Dance. D Throw can combo into SH Up Air at low percentages, and into Bair at mid percents. Fire Sword out of shield is a good way to punish high end lag attacks, and D Tilt can always stuff approaches and set up tech chase opportunities. Roy's neutral revolves around a calculated type of aggro. His range is shorter than Marcina's due to the reverse grip hold on his sword for most of his attacks, but his sweetspot is larger, and he has greater kill power. As a result, you can't just throw out hitboxes as carelessly as Marth or Lucina can, but he can still abuse SH Nairs and Fairs the same. You just have to be more aware of your end lag with Roy than Marcina. Grabs and aerials are your best combo starters, and Roy can Dash Dash and Foxtrot well enough to make use of them. Roy also has some nifty ledge trap options unique to him, should you find yourself in decisive AS after winning a neutral exchange. Roy can kill as early as 60% with F Smash, so don't be afraid to challenge a lot with it; that sweetspot is easy to connect, and actually gets quite a few lucky hits on opponents who jump into Roy to approach. Just be aggressive, but not reckless. Roy has a lot going for him offensively, but he's still only a middleweight character with below average recovery that is easily gimped. Play to his strengths, which just so happens to be neutral, bait and punish, and Rush Down aggro. There are times to brute force your opponent, and times to hold back. For example, a grounded opponent near the edge of the stage is dead meat if you hit them with Double Edge Dance, but a campy projectile spammer will likely eat your lunch if you try to rush in. Nair and Fair are always your safest options, so revert back to them if all else fails, and don't get sloppy with your approaches.

Top Bottom