• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roy in 3.6

Binary Clone

Easy Money since 1994
Premium
There's an unlisted change that fixed the hangtimes on Marth and Roy's upBs. In the previous patch, they could float at the end of their upBs for a really long time, which made edgehogging them harder, especially Roy's, because of the huge and long lasting hitboxes he also had.

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
any idea what the back air change looks like in practice? I hope it ain't a nerf to kill potential.

Binary Clone

Easy Money since 1994
Premium
bair change increases kill potential. Angle is lower now, so opponent has to DI much more to survive it, and they get punished much harder for not DIing properly. Kills a bit later on floaties, but bair on floaties doesn't combo anyways. Kills off the side much sooner.

Smolder

Smash Apprentice
I'm really enjoying his new bair thus far. It appears to be an even better kill option and due to it receiving what seems like a disjoint buff, there is more leniency on positioning. Its sweetspot is pretty gigantic as well.

Joak.

Smash Rookie
I'm just glad they increased the volume on his voice clips. It was an overall nerf to Roy but he is still crispy-hot.

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
how it is a nerf? new bair is sick. like Smolder says, it even like a bigger hitbox, allowing for easier followups that will kill a bit earlier.

Sundark

Smash Apprentice
You may have to relearn the vertical, since his ledge grab box was moved down a bit (cuz Maylay). I didn't really notice a difference at first, but that's possibly due to my heavy abuse of his previous Up B's disjoint. Lab it up with the grab box displayed and use Hyrule Temple, or maybe even some spot on New Pork City. Don't neglect the horizontal sweetspot either, it's about the length of his sword.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
bair change increases kill potential. Angle is lower now, so opponent has to DI much more to survive it, and they get punished much harder for not DIing properly. Kills a bit later on floaties, but bair on floaties doesn't combo anyways. Kills off the side much sooner.
i dont think it kills any later on floaties. they can still get the same ideal DI for survival even with the angle reduction. before, with a 50 degree angle, they wouldnt have really wanted to DI the full amount anyways (meaning, DI to achieve a maximum angle change of 18 degrees, which would send them at a 68 degree angle in this case). if they DIed to that angle before, they would be DIing well past the corner, and would would be sent past the blast zone earlier. . Now, even with the angle reduction, they can still achieve the same, ideal amount of DI (to get them aimed at the corner) that they had before.

I can see this change being a really good buff against fast fallers who ideally would DI to achieve the maximum angle from the horizontal. now the limiting angle for them has been decreased for them, making their survivability lower.

Azureflames

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0132-7109-3630
Still haven't played with the new Bair change but it looks like it's a solid change. I really like the extra hitbox on the bottom, has a hint of a marth bair in it. Seems like it'll have a use being a decent OOS option since the hitbox hits easier and is more reliable than it used to.

Binary Clone

Easy Money since 1994
Premium
i dont think it kills any later on floaties. they can still get the same ideal DI for survival even with the angle reduction. before, with a 50 degree angle, they wouldnt have really wanted to DI the full amount anyways (meaning, DI to achieve a maximum angle change of 18 degrees, which would send them at a 68 degree angle in this case). if they DIed to that angle before, they would be DIing well past the corner, and would would be sent past the blast zone earlier. . Now, even with the angle reduction, they can still achieve the same, ideal amount of DI (to get them aimed at the corner) that they had before.

I can see this change being a really good buff against fast fallers who ideally would DI to achieve the maximum angle from the horizontal. now the limiting angle for them has been decreased for them, making their survivability lower.
You're right - with proper DI, this change makes no difference for floaties, because you can get to the corner either way. But given that most people probably aren't DIing this properly, in a lot of circumstances it'll likely kill slightly later on floaties if/when they DI up. In the end, it's not a substantial "nerf" to off-the-top kill power, and even then, it's more than compensated for by it being easier to hit now.

But yes, the main buff is against fast fallers, since it's tougher by a little bit to DI, and punishes worse DI by a good bit more.

After playing with it a little bit (most of my time has been spent with Bowser, to be honest) it does seem to be a much more flexible move now. It's much closer to Marth bair in general utility, as Azure mentioned, since it's fast and now large enough to actually cover a decent area behind him. When you're in an awkward position with someone behind you, bair is now actually useable as a quick getoffme or a light tap to get that little extra percent or positioning, where previously you could only do a behind DED, which I think is a lot slower, and doesn't get them off you nearly as well/can't get you as much position.

Carlil

Smash Rookie
The new bair is great! With the hitboxes moved upwards, you can now punish techrolls with a SH bair on platforms like battlefield. And, you have a better chance of using your bair after a dtilt on high % opponents

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

My favorite part about the new bair is the sword trail

I think it looks cool how its like an upside down sheik fair. Oh yeah and uhh its better now whoop whoop

Last edited by a moderator:

Taytertot

Smash Ace
how about we get the dev's to double the range on dtilt and makes roy's DD faster too. Itd just be a small buff haha

Last edited:
Top Bottom