• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roy Impressions Thread

Thoughts on Roy?

• Love him!

Votes: 75 67.6%
  • Like him!

Votes: 32 28.8%
  • OK... He could be better...

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Don't like.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hate him.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ShortRound

Smash Cadet
NNID
ShortRound
Roy just feels so good to use. I am loving him so far. He is super fast and strong. His range kinda sucks but it's not too big of a deal. Plus, he looks like a total bad-ass. Totally using him as my main alongside Ness and C. Falcon.

I wish Marth would have been better. I've used him the most ever since launch, but now I just might use Roy instead. After all, Roy has always been my boy. Guess Marth will just have to be one of my secondaries...

Ravengeance

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ravengeance
I was expecting something in the middle of marth and ike. i honesty thought he was just gonna be a slower stronger lucina. pleasantly surprised. time will tell how good he is. his speed baffles me tho bc in my mind he's supposed to be slower than marth like ike is. he's so quick. and the big thing i notice compared to marth his moves have a lot less end lag i thought. his range feels small tho. maybe it's bc i loved his project m f-tilt but i still him getting rekt by things like rosaluma range and he might get outspeeded by sheik. still too early to tell tho.

IrkenPPG

Smash Cadet
First match playing Roy: Wow, he's not bad
Second match playing Roy: He really isn't bad, he's great
Third match playing Roy: Why isn't Marth and Lucina as good as Roy?!
Fourth match playing Roy: Looks like I have a new main.
After playing Roy for about only 10 matches he is my second favortie.

IrkenPPG

Smash Cadet
It took me about 15 minutes to decide to main Roy in Smash 4 after playing as him. I realized just how good he was and was thinking just HOW GOOD is Ropy in Smash 4? A tier? B Tier? What do you guys think?

masterlettal

Smash Rookie
NNID
Sauvey
I'm not a big fan of tier lists but as a character he is very good in my opinion, just a little lacking in kill options so his spot on the tier is really dependent on his matchups with other high tiers, something I can't be sure of yet but I think he will be atleast B tier

Sora66

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sora66
his kill options is actually really good. dthrow to up b is a good kill combo. First hit of nair to up b is guaranteed.

IndigoSSB

Back from the dead
It's a little hard to say right now, we haven't even had him for 24 hours yet. For all we know he could have really bad matchups we don't know about yet. If I had to guess I'd put him around mid B tier. He's shaping up to be a really good character so far, but from what I've seen I don't think he quite matches up to the A tiers.

LEGOfan12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LEGOfan12
3DS FC
3007-8664-3561
It took me about 15 minutes to decide to main Roy in Smash 4 after playing as him. I realized just how good he was and was thinking just HOW GOOD is Ropy in Smash 4? A tier? B Tier? What do you guys think?
At least upper-mid-tier. Maybe B-tier.

LEGOfan12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LEGOfan12
3DS FC
3007-8664-3561
Well, before I celebrate, I just want to apologize for 'disappearing' from the support thread, life has been hard lately, however, it's all sorted now...

MY BABY IS BACK. TODAY IS A BEAUTIFUL DAY. I just can't buy them yet... ;A;
BOY*

LEGOfan12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LEGOfan12
3DS FC
3007-8664-3561
We even have our own board now!

Let us see a bright new future for Roy! Beneath a New Light!
I couldn't agree more. So much nostalgia is now in this game for me.

Now that :4feroy: is in, I have most of my mains back.

LEGOfan12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LEGOfan12
3DS FC
3007-8664-3561
His regular slash does 15% damage and his up b does like 30% damage correct me if im wrong he seems better then any of the fire emblem characters IMO right now
Agreed. He is probably the best FE character ATM.

I would probably agree that he's the best of the Fire Emblem lot. He hits hard and can kill confirm a lot, but he also dies really easily. He's combo meat of the worst kind with his recovery.
This is true, too.

Bribery

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bribery
3DS FC
3626-0596-6286
He's a really solid character overall. I don't see him being any lower than mid-tier at least. He kind of reminds me of Pit/Edgy Pit - solid character with no substantial weaknesses or overbearing strengths.

-Crews-

a Strawhat Pirate
The fact that SH fair doesn''t autocancel really disappoints me. I guess he has his nair but it's not the same. But from what I could tell his fair was pretty powerful so maybe it's a fair (no pun intended) trade. Other than that, no complaints thus far.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
his power is amazing, though my only qualms with him are that his attacks are ridiculously short ranged (though I'm used to shulk) and that he is a pitiful jumper when off stage.
This is why as a Ganon main I can play Roy quite well. I am used to the high power low range characters.

roymustang1990-

Smash Ace
NNID
RoyMustang1990
I like that Roy's d throw and f throw can actually lead to something guaranteed now thanks to the low KNOCKBACK unlike marth/Lucina.Also,that jab1 follow up is extremely nice.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Reposting from the Roy-Social:

- To all claiming he's just a "fiery Marth" - G.T.F.O.

Honestly though, Roy is completely his own beast. The rush-down to end all swords with rush-down. He's also even more, MORE fun than Marth and Lucina combined.

- Range is kinda short, but it's actually worth it. Attacks are fast, and are pretty damn easy to hit hard. Yikes. He's not anymore limited on hilt of his sword.

-Quite a fast falling speed and decent air speed. Combined with above Playing Roy is like playing Melee, so to speak. He can easily get a hard hit when you whiff an attack due his speed.

- Roy has best throws of all FE-chars. Sends just so close and low that it just lends you a follow-up. Even in high percents.

Marth would die for his throws.
:awesome:

- D-Tilt got changed in that it doesn't pop people up anymore, but you can now use it for tech-chasing, especially if you use the tip which sends the opponent in lower angle and distance. I use this to kill with a Dash A follow-up.

- Aerials are magnifico. F-Air and B-Air are better killing tools than Marth and Lucy could wish for. U-Air is interesting, you can use it to poke via tip or land more damage or even kill in higher ceiling. Very reminded of PM. :p

- D-Smash is almost rivalling PM's kill power. Unf.

- DED doesn't kill, but is a decent damage racker now. Not bad at all.

- Flare Blade has little bit more lag when executed, but it covers now an explosion on front of Roy. Nice. A lot try edge-guarding with it but it's very predictable, you gotta read with it or try to threaten with getting close while chargin.

- Blazer is very nice. Still very disruptive anti-edge-guarding tool, and no more knockback scaling, meaning I can rely still on it in higher percents. :)

- Roy is amazing. AMAZING!!! MY BOY IS GONNA BE SO DAMN GOOD YOU DON'T KNOW :love:

LEGOfan12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LEGOfan12
3DS FC
3007-8664-3561
So glad he's been Luigified. Now people can finally stop complaining about him.

JiNinja

Smash Rookie
NNID
Hydro_jin
Marth has been my main since Melee and I was pretty disappointed when smash 4 came out. I looked for another swordsman to make me feel better, so I decided to main Shulk. I recently put shulk down for a while since he wasn't really giving me the playstyle I liked. I'm a fast rushdown type of guy. I lost hope for my swordsman preference. I hate Lucina and Ike, Robin's playstyle is eh, Link is fun, but no Marth......then something wonderful happened....

I always chose Marth over Roy in melee for obvious reasons. I loved both their designs and playstyles. And when I heard Roy was returning, I was a little excited. Not too excited as both Mewtwo and Dr. Mario came back with the same movesets. I just thought Roy would be the same low tier guy he was in Melee.....But Daddy Sakurai surprised me. He did Roy the justice he deserved. My boy is back and better than ever!

tl;dr: Roy is so much faster than I expected and I love it. I am maining him atm, I wanted to main Marth, but now I have Roy. His costume colors are glorious as well. Aqua and light blue ftw

RenoInMO

Smash Cadet
NNID
ren0ace
3DS FC
4012-4805-5800
Switch FC
SW-3645-4546-0992
I like that Roy's d throw and f throw can actually lead to something guaranteed now thanks to the low KNOCKBACK unlike marth/Lucina.Also,that jab1 follow up is extremely nice.
I quickly found that as a 0% combo, you can dthrow into fsmash for ~26-27% dmg. Not too bad

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
He's decent overall, though it's impossible to tell right now.

All the same, I'm gonna deduce high-mid to mid-high.

Flamma

Smash Rookie
Trained by Hector you mean.
Hector's dead. He died in front of Roy in his own game.

New main. I love the Marth Playstyle, and I like being hyper agressive with my attacks. But I hated Lucina because shes a literal carbon copy of Marth, with the same weight. Roy much better fits my style, and I'll be looking for new combos.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
- Range is kinda short, but it's actually worth it. Attacks are fast, and are pretty damn easy to hit hard. Yikes. He's not anymore limited on hilt of his sword.

- DED doesn't kill, but is a decent damage racker now. Not bad at all.
Actually, DED does kill. Just not as good as it did in Melee. Side 4 and up 4 can KO at slightly above 100% if hilted.
It is a shame about his range, though. They call him No Range Roy. I wish his up air was a bit faster, too.
Trained by Hector you mean.
No, I mean Ike. Hector is dead, and Ike hasn't missed an arm day nor leg day since Brawl.

Last edited:

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
It's hard to judge since he don't yet know the full extent of what he can do and the optimal way to play him, and the people who don't play Roy don't have a firm grip on the matchup yet. I imagine he could be lower A or higher B, just comparing his attributes to other characters around that level.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
I don't see what that has to do with anything, but ok.
I didn't see what Ike's muscles and Ryu having anything to do with evidence Ike has been to the continent of Elibe was supposed to prove either.

Anyway I'm dropping this subject since Ike has little relevance to Roy other then serving as headcanon to select individuals.

D

Deleted member 269706

Ike is still the best Fire Emblem rep, but Roy is a close second.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Won't hit below the ledge. Hope they whiff their airdodge. They can always recover low and be safe.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Actually, DED does kill. Just not as good as it did in Melee. Side 4 and up 4 can KO at slightly above 100% if hilted.
It is a shame about his range, though. They call him No Range Roy. I wish his up air was a bit faster, too.
Just tested this and yeah, you're right. Kind of a bummer but it's not useless.

I tend to feel like he fights with some sort of a dagger on his hand. Range is pretty small, but hard-hitting.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
First match playing Roy: Wow, he's not bad
Second match playing Roy: He really isn't bad, he's great
Third match playing Roy: Why isn't Marth and Lucina as good as Roy?!
Fourth match playing Roy: Looks like I have a new main.
After playing Roy for about only 10 matches he is my second favortie.
That parallels pretty closely how I felt too :)
I like a lot of characters still tho, but he's taken a high spot already for me.

D

Deleted member 269706

Hm, is it possible to edge guard with Roy's Flare Blade in the same manner as Ike's Eruption?
Despite the massive damage, the hitbox on Flare Blade is really small. I haven't had any luck catching recoveries, but that doesn't mean that it's not possible. We still need to test how far below the ledge (if at all) the hitbox reaches. Even if not, it MIGHT be able to take advantage of the 1 frame of vulnerability and strike enemies who reach the ledge.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom