• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roy footstool mix ups / true combos

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
Hey all, just wanted to share this setup I've been labbing out for the past couple days.

One potentially true combo I have found with Roy. Tested on many characters of various hurtboxes and weights, but percent examples from combos are on Sheik. Bair lock percent is varied against many different characters dependent on weight.

(Only works if catching someone in the air) Start at 0-10% Fair > Footstool > Falling tip of bair lock > Charged Fsmash - 39-49%

Edit: You can start off the combo with grounded nair on some characters!

Now while that may be the only TRUE combo, there is a set up for this that should be used as a mix up since Frame 3 Nair's break the set up. Set up done on Sheik as well.

Start at 10% Dthrow > Fair > Footstool > Falling tip of bair lock > Charged Fsmash - 55%

You can skip out the Fair out of Dthrow and just footstool, but I'm not sure how much percent that does. It is still a good mix up and a good alternative to the Fthrow > Bair lock if missed tech > Charged Fsmash set up. Footstool at mid percent is also good for setting up on forced get up options when they land, similar to Fthrow tech chases only without the teching. I've gotten someone to roll in to my charged Fsmash before.

Here's a video!

Well, I hope this gets some feedback and testing from you guys. Let me know your thoughts!

Last edited:

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
From my testing it is very situational but not too risk to go for.
When I play roy I fish for all the combos in neutral abusing roys insane aerial mobility to make them relatively safe (You'd need to read the approach).

I use shff Nair up close because it's safe on shield (first hit connects in front, 2nd hit is cross-up)

low-mid% Nair plane > fair > Fair

low% Jab > grab

low-high% Falling Uair > any aerial/tilts/jab/grab

Point blank sh fair (it will cross-up shield and you can Double edge blade back toward the opponent to cancel lag and apply even more pressure)

low% Nair > grab

dthrow > jab > Double Edge blade

F-throw > nair > grab

f-throw > Nair plane > Fair

1st hit of Nair > Dsmash/Fsmash/grab
There is no "safe" way to initiate this. This is more of a punish/read option. being able to convert an aerial to a Fsmash is powerful though. In my testing of 1st hit of nair Fsmash, there is no goldilocks %, I think it's frame sync that makes it true combo. in my experience you'd need a frame 1 invincible to break out of this setup if you don't get the frame sync nair.

Some set-ups are FH uair > nair
FH Airdodge > nair
SH > (at apex of jump) FF nair
I use A-stick so it's as simple as hold down:GCD: and :GCCDL:

110% Jab > fair

0% F-throw > nair plane > fair >Dair can 0-death if your opponent has weird DI

Last edited:

Solutionme

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolutionMe
I've been trying to treat Roy like Marth when it came to footstools but it looks like I've been doing it wrong, nice find btw. If you find any good footstool set-ups at higher percents that'd be good, because Roy has a reliable footstool for every single percent range, but I haven't been able to true combo anything out of it. I've even used the unsweetspotted part of dair to see if I get something but nothing useful.

Solutionme

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolutionMe
Please don't count this as double posting since this is old

Figured out the most reliable way to get the most out of this bair jab lock. Starting on average at 5%, do f-throw to nair 2, regrab with no pummel or 1 depending on how much damage is accumulated, pivot and back air. From there your best possible extension of a combo is the back of uair to bair to uair or fair. Easy 60% or more accumulated.

Edit: So with proper testing and doing it more appropriately, I was able to perform a 63% damage combo. I needed the entire stage of FD, the whole length btw to pull it off. So starting around 5%, you do f-throw to nair 2, then re-grab, 3 pummels and then f-throw. Pivot the short hop bair, jump to them and uair because they will slide away, bair and blazer. Uair and fair don't work unless they DI in. I don't know if you could potentially kill with this set-up, so I'm gonna go ahead and test that now.

Last edited:

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
I've found that if you land a footstool you can follow up with an Up B. Possible kill confirm... I need to lab it more.
Already pretty well documented at this point. Aerial blazer has reduced KB, though, so it's still pretty hard to kill with, except under certain circumstances.

Last edited:

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
Oh yeah I guess so... is t obvious I don't play Roy much?
Forgot to add the fair footstool blazer one, so just added it on the post above lol. Tbh, our smashboards sub-forum is dead, so if you are only watching here, you'll miss a lot. Our community discord is pretty hopping, though, it's where most Roy mains hang out at this point, and where we do things like JMUs (joint match-up discussions with mains of other characters) and online character crew battles. You should jump in there and ask questions lol.

MetalFan13

Smash Rookie
Forgot to add the fair footstool blazer one, so just added it on the post above lol. Tbh, our smashboards sub-forum is dead, so if you are only watching here, you'll miss a lot. Our community discord is pretty hopping, though, it's where most Roy mains hang out at this point, and where we do things like JMUs (joint match-up discussions with mains of other characters) and online character crew battles. You should jump in there and ask questions lol.
I'm not a Roy main by any means... I play him for fun sometimes, but he's not my cup of tea (plus he's kinda bad). I'm a huge Ryu main all the way.

Top Bottom