• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roy and Ryu Sound Files Found

Are you excited for these characters?

• Yes

Votes: 823 72.9%
  • No

Votes: 306 27.1%

• Total voters

Malkasaur

Smash Journeyman
Actually, I just realized something. If the announcer already has a clip of him saying "Roy" for the Koopa, what are they gonna do for Roy from FE?
EDIT: double post IGNORE THIS

Last edited:

Marthmario

Smash Lord
Well if Capcom gets Ryu.
Namco should get Klonoa... But will probably be Jin Kazama
And Sega? Akira Yuki? Lol!
None of those fighters are Ryu level of iconic tho.
I would argue for Yoshimitsu or Heihachi if there was to be a Tekken rep.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
If this is legitimate, and if other companies have the option to have a second series in Smash Bros., I'd like to see Heihachi and Bayonetta make it in (if Bayonetta counts as a Sega character - I'm still not entirely clear on that).

Plus, if Snake returns, it means that there's still the option for Bomberman or someone from Castlevania.

Marthmario

Smash Lord
Well if Capcom gets Ryu.
Namco should get Klonoa... But will probably be Jin Kazama
And Sega? Akira Yuki? Lol!
None of those fighters are Ryu level of iconic tho.
They're definately cooler but not the main protagonist. Which is the comparison to Ryu.
Yea, but who got in PSABR over Jin?

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
Please no Roy. It's not that I don't like his character, but I honestly see no way how he wouldn't be some sort of Marth clone.

ErenJager

Smash Champion

Yea, but who got in PSABR over Jin?
Lol I'm not saying Jin is more or less likely then Yoshimitsu or Heihachi, the post was more meant for irony, if anything,

But if I had to pick a tekken character to support it would be King!

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Not necessarily. If Roy has a larger sweetspot area and a little bit stronger "flub" tip, he can be a whole different character on his own. At the least, he'll be a semi clone with his neutral B being different and special attributes (and maybe his melee down air)
They also gave Roy's gimmick to Shulk, who can properly make use of it with his sword the size of a bus.

Marthmario

Smash Lord
Lol I'm not saying Jin is more or less likely then Yoshimitsu or Heihachi, the post was more meant for irony, if anything,

But if I had to pick a tekken character to support it would be King!
I would love that, but Yoshimitsu has been one of my favorites for a long time, and his quirky moveset would transfer well.

ILOVEVHS

Smash Rookie
NNID
ILOVEVHS
3DS FC
5257-8961-7312
I don't believe this.

I know the dude's found stuff in the files before, but who's to say he's not using that power to just tease us?

Then again, maybe I'm just bitter about the Rayman fake still.

Pacoheadley

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Pacoheadley
I don't believe this.

I know the dude's found stuff in the files before, but who's to say he's not using that power to just tease us?

Then again, maybe I'm just bitter about the Rayman fake still.
It's already been reported on Reddit by multiple different sources that these files are there.

CaptainJimmBob

Smash Journeyman
I think I am starting to like this. This is basically either a huge hoax that many people have been copying eachother and spreading false claims, or a true thing and we are getting these characters, or it is true and Sakurai is just a troll again.

With the new Star Fox U, Wolf is a given, and if we got Wolf, I honestly don't care what characters we get after that. Roy is fine by me, as long as we get Wolf, too.

Ryu we better get. Street Fighter is my favorite fighting game (unless you include Smash Bros. of course).

Maybe this won't be so bad.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
It's already been reported on Reddit by multiple different sources that these files are there.
Does anyone remember last September? A supposed leak got around claiming Mewtwo, Ridley, Impa, and Dixie Kong were yet to be revealed. Multiple other sources claimed to "confirm" it. Some even added Mach Rider to the mix. One made a mockup CSS and spread it around.

Then they all turned out to be fake.

So I'm looking at this supposed leak...and I don't see how multiple sources "confirming" it automatically makes it legit. These people claiming to confirm it could just as easily be in on the hoax, or copycats trying to gain notoriety by cashing in on it, as with what happened last September...or there's the rare chance they're all the same person with sockpuppet accounts. There are just too many unknowns right now to believe it without question. The Rayman hoax was more believable.

And that doesn't even get into questions regarding the "leak" itself. Why would sound files for two characters be inexplicably left in a patch long before they're even announced, when the dev team must know they'd be found? Why would Ryu have a victory theme ripped straight from Street Fighter 2 when every character so far has had a modernized--and in every case but Sonic, remixed--victory theme? All we're left with is to take the word of the "leaker" and the people "confirming" it...and on the Internet, that kind of thing is suspicious.

It comes off like that one friend we all had in school who claimed they unlocked some incredible thing in a game, but he couldn't prove it beyond reasonable doubt, so you had to trust him.

So remembering what's happened before this, can we give it time before we start jumping to conclusions and resorting to clickbait titles (since the "rumor" part of the article title has mysteriously disappeared)? This thing is dubious at best so far, and all this led to last year was sides being taken and people getting harassed. Before we let history repeat itself again...we need more information.

Last edited:

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
Namco and Sega could get fighting game representatives too... Hmm...

The Tekken series simply has too many interesting characters. Heihachi is way overused in crossovers, so I don't really want him in the game. What about one of the sillier characters, like Roger, Kuma, or my current profile picture, Alex? They could fit in well with the rest of the cast.

As for Sega, why not include Bahn from Fighting Vipers? I could imagine Captain Falcon and him getting along well with each other.

Fandangox

Smash Lord
https://twitter.com/CuttingRoomWiki/status/588467223833882627

They are vouching for it, I think that's a very good indicator that at the very least the files do exist in the game, we don't know if it will mean 100% that Ryu will be there, but at this point I don't doubt the files ARE there. Why aren't they remixed? I don't know could be just that the actual content is not created and they put a placeholder music file under the file name they will be using later, but I don't know much of coding or developing so I could be wrong. It could also be that this is the content that they are going to use but its not for Ryu (Maybe SF costumes with unique victory themes, but I doubt it)

EyexSore

Smash Apprentice
NNID
theultimatetater
3DS FC
0259-0815-3282
I just love how people are saying there's too many fire emblem characters. But NOBODY'S complaining about all the pokemon and Mario characters.

Tollhouse

Smash Journeyman
> People here being under the assumption that Roy would play the exact same way he did in Melee.

:facepalm:
It is all assumption but ya know veterans that made a comeback like Doctor Mario, Mewtwo, and Lucas all have the same movesets as they did in their previous games but with little tweaks. I'd bet they will do the same for Roy. However Roy won't be as similar to Marth as Lucina is. It would be super easy to include another clone anyway as a bonus character next to who ever wins the ballot. This is just what I see Sakurai doing is all.

Last edited:

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
They also gave Roy's gimmick to Shulk, who can properly make use of it with his sword the size of a bus.
Well, he can still be a high risk, high reward character. (just give him a better flub and a wider sweetspot)

D

Deleted member

Eh, I'm neutral on this. I'd rather wait until an official confirmation pops up.

Aygent

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ayygent
3DS FC
4570-7961-7152
The idea of Ryu getting in Smash Bros. excites me, Like, really excites me. I loved SF2 as a kid, and I cherished many good memories on my SNES with that game. Maybe that's why he gets in. If anything, Ryu is a model fighting game character. Well deserving third party rep, I'd say.

OptimistNic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OptimistNic
3DS FC
4682-8455-3463
It makes sense that everything is based on Street Fighter 2 because that's the game Sakurai himself loved and used to play at the arcades, as he once said in an interview. Though it also helps that it was the last Street Fighter game on Nintendo consoles (excluding the 3DS), releasing on the SNES.

If this is a fake, then whoever posted this "leak" did his research.

Zodiacx10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zodiacx10
I can see Ryu fit right into smash no problem. i mean he has throws, ground attacks, air attacks and special moves. all they would have to do is transfer those moves to smash.

Last edited:

Pacoheadley

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Pacoheadley
Does anyone remember last September? A supposed leak got around claiming Mewtwo, Ridley, Impa, and Dixie Kong were yet to be revealed. Multiple other sources claimed to "confirm" it. Some even added Mach Rider to the mix. One made a mockup CSS and spread it around.

Then they all turned out to be fake.

So I'm looking at this supposed leak...and I don't see how multiple sources "confirming" it automatically makes it legit. These people claiming to confirm it could just as easily be in on the hoax, or copycats trying to gain notoriety by cashing in on it, as with what happened last September...or there's the rare chance they're all the same person with sockpuppet accounts. There are just too many unknowns right now to believe it without question. The Rayman hoax was more believable.

And that doesn't even get into questions regarding the "leak" itself. Why would sound files for two characters be inexplicably left in a patch long before they're even announced, when the dev team must know they'd be found? Why would Ryu have a victory theme ripped straight from Street Fighter 2 when every character so far has had a modernized--and in every case but Sonic, remixed--victory theme? All we're left with is to take the word of the "leaker" and the people "confirming" it...and on the Internet, that kind of thing is suspicious.

It comes off like that one friend we all had in school who claimed they unlocked some incredible thing in a game, but he couldn't prove it beyond reasonable doubt, so you had to trust him.

So remembering what's happened before this, can we give it time before we start jumping to conclusions and resorting to clickbait titles (since the "rumor" part of the article title has mysteriously disappeared)? This thing is dubious at best so far, and all this led to last year was sides being taken and people getting harassed. Before we let history repeat itself again...we need more information.
I know what you mean, but those were all suspicious images and such. A leak of files contained in the game is much different than that, anybody with the right tools can go ahead and check for themselves. I'm not saying this means they are joining, all I'm saying is that the files are there, and that is a fact.

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
It should not take this long to confirm or deconfirm this, it's not like this is the only guy who can datamine.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
It is all assumption but ya know veterans that made a comeback like Doctor Mario, Mewtwo, and Lucas all have the same movesets as they did in their previous games but with little tweaks. I'd bet they will do the same for Roy. However Roy won't be as similar to Marth as Lucina is. It would be super easy to include another clone anyway as a bonus character next to who ever wins the ballot. This is just what I see Sakurai doing is all.
Was any of the characters included before in need of a moveset change though? They weren't, this is something i've been stressing endlessly as of late.

Doc, Lucina, and DP got in because they were originally intended to be alts so them playing the same as their originators is expected. Mewtwo and Lucas have no reason to change up their moveset. Roy is in need to have some of his moves either revamped or changed and this is reflected by the fanbase's requests.

Apollyon

Smash Apprentice
Was any of the characters included before in need of a moveset change though? They weren't, this is something i've been stressing endlessly as of late.

Doc, Lucina, and DP got in because they were originally intended to be alts so them playing the same as their originators is expected. Mewtwo and Lucas have no reason to change up their moveset. Roy is in need to have some of his moves either revamped or changed and this is reflected by the fanbase's requests.
Now the main question is will the dev team for Smash have enough time to revamp Roy's Moveset? Considering that Roy hasn't even officially been announced, I would say so. At this rate, I would be surprised if Roy wasn't drastically different from Marth/Lucina.

Last edited:

Dr. Corndog

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DrCecilCorndog
Hey, it's Josh from The Geek Critique.

Anyway, this is the first I've actually heard these tunes supposedly included in Smash. Isn't that version of the Fire Emblem victory theme the exact one used in Melee? So, I have my doubts.

stancosmos

Smash Journeyman
Hey, it's Josh from The Geek Critique.

Anyway, this is the first I've actually heard these tunes supposedly included in Smash. Isn't that version of the Fire Emblem victory theme the exact one used in Melee? So, I have my doubts.
Optomistically, they are place holders until the actual track is developed.
Pessimistically it's a sloppy job at creating false files.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Now the main question is will the dev team for Smash have enough time to revamp Roy's Moveset? Considering that Roy hasn't even officially been announced, I would say so. At this rate, I would be surprised if Roy wasn't drastically different from Marth/Lucina.
But why would they give special treatment to Roy when not even Mewtwo--one of the single most requested characters--didn't get revamped? Does nostalgia really matter that much more?

Crispy_

Smash Cadet
NNID
OatmeaiCrisp
3DS FC
3754-6658-5495
Pretty sure this isn't happening. Sakurai said he didn't want any other fighting game characters in Smash.

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
Pretty sure this isn't happening. Sakurai said he didn't want any other fighting game characters in Smash.
1. Sakurai isn't even developing Smash 4 anymore.
2. He said there would not be another balance patch, and there was.
3. He said he wouldn't direct Brawl or Smash 4, but he did.
4. He said the roster was final and decided at the start of the game's development, and he even admitted that characters were cut and added mid-development.

(And Little Mac is from a fighting game if he counts.)

Sakurai is nothing now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom