• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roy and Ryu Sound Files Found

Are you excited for these characters?

• Yes

Votes: 823 72.9%
  • No

Votes: 306 27.1%

• Total voters

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Please oh please be fake.

If we get five Fire Emblem characters and none of them are Chrom, I'm gonna be so ****ing pissed. ESPECIALLY if two of them are Marth clones...

Ryu would be cool though.
Yeah... I don't have much confidence that Roy will be made unique given how Mewtwo turned out. His redesign from Awakening would be pretty cool though but people who are expecting him to evolve beyond Fire Marth are going to probably wind up sorely disappointed.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Too many Foxes are going unchecked; a skilled Roy needs to come along and beat all of them.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
I don't believe it. Lucas' and Roy's victory themes are easy enough to make up, since they'd be the exact same as Ness's and Marth's, and Ryu's stage music and victory themes are taken directly from Street Fighter 2:
You know Megaman has retro songs in both versions of Smash 4 right?

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
We already have the only Roy Smash Bros. needs.

That said, I wouldn't be opposed to Ryu, though Capcom getting a second rep would be very weird.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
I think all the third parties could stand to have multiple reps.

Sega: Knuckles and/or Bayonetta.

Namco: Klonoa and/or Jin Kazama.

Capcom: Ryu and/or Phoenix Wright.

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
Ryu could also refer to Ryu Hayabusa, Tecmo's "main character," as gratitude for their work on Metroid Other M and Hyrule Warriors. Also a pretty rad character from the NES era.

Anyway, has this been independently confirmed by anyone else? Surely there's more than one person in the world who can dig into 3DS game files.
If that's the case, then why are there themes from Street Fighter there?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
If Ryu is in, I imagine it was because of some sort of deal made with Capcom way back in 2012. "Oh, sure you can use Megaman BUT you have to put in Ryu too as DLC." I can imagine a Capcom executive saying this while cackling and rubbing his hands menacingly.

Nauzgo

Smash Journeyman
Bayonetta was created by Platinum, but is owned by Sega. Sega owns all rights to the franchise. Conker won't ever be in Smash for obvious reasons if you've played his games. There is no reason whatsoever for third party companies to be limited to a single rep, as they always have multiple iconic franchises.

If you don't think Street Fighter is important to gaming you don't know anything about video games. Street Fighter is a MASSIVELY iconic and legendary franchise that has a huge part in the annals of pop culture. It receives countless references and parodies in music, TV shows, movies and comic books because it's world-famous. They've been referred to in TV shows like Robot Chicken, Family Guy and American Dad. A Street Fighter character had a big speaking role in Disney's multimillion-dollar movie Wreck-It Ralph, which is another big tribute to video games. To claim that Street Fighter isn't an important game franchise is just complete ignorance.

Even if they had 10 or so third party characters in the game, 90% of the game is still Nintendo characters, so Nintendo is at all diminished by it. Third parties are JUST as important to Nintendo's legacy as Nintendo's own characters. They share an equal, if not greater part, of our memories about games we enjoyed on old systems.
Oh come on. I understand that you like SF but turn off this fanboyish sound in your comments.

No there is no reason for that, but it's simply obvious. Thirds are an extra thing and they souldn't exaggerate putting some in.
Yeah, 90% Nintendo if there was 100 characters in that game. But we are not talking about a specific game and maybe we have 10 thirds in the next smash while there are 70 characters overall. There are soo many more important franchises than SF and if you don't want to accept this, then I won't discuss furthermore. Actually, Sonic, MM and Pac (and Snake more or less) are enough third party for Smash. There are enough other brawlers where the other guys can fight in.

Leon Rios

Smash Cadet
NNID
LeonRios
I'm still taking this with a grain of salt... I'm not really interested in either character.

To be honest, though, people have requested Roy for so long, and if this IS true, I'm glad to hear it for them. (Though I really want Young Link to have a spot in the Smash 4 Roster as well. At least an Alt Costume for Toon Link? Please?) I don't really see him as a wasted spot... he might control a lot like Marth and Lucina, but he still had a lot of different quirks in my opinion. Some attacks are stronger, some are lacking. In the end, it's up to them how he turns out.

Ryu came out of freakin' nowhere for me. I think he'd be a breath of fresh air for Smash, and he IS an iconic character. So, I'm all for it.

I think the thing a lot of people are missing, though, is the fact that if this is true and these characters are to be included in Smash 4, then Nintendo may have gone back on their DLC stance. We knew about Mewtwo, Lucas and the Mystery Poll Character, but these guys literally came out of the woodwork. It's no secret that Smash has a pretty large following, so I don't see any reason why Nintendo wouldn't try to capitalize on it... and maybe throwing these little tidbits of info our way to find is a way to gauge response.

In any case, Smash is growing with the addition of (at least) 3 characters and I couldn't be happier about it.

Edit----------------------------------------:4miisword:
Still want Geno, Rayman and/or Banjo and Kazooie for Smash 4. I can dream, OKAY?!?

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

Oh come on. I understand that you like SF but turn off this fanboyish sound in your comments.

No there is no reason for that, but it's simply obvious. Thirds are an extra thing and they souldn't exaggerate putting some in.
Yeah, 90% Nintendo if there was 100 characters in that game. But we are not talking about a specific game and maybe we have 10 thirds in the next smash while there are 70 characters overall. There are soo many more important franchises than SF and if you don't want to accept this, then I won't discuss furthermore. Actually, Sonic, MM and Pac (and Snake more or less) are enough third party for Smash. There are enough other brawlers where the other guys can fight in.
SF is an astronomically huge franchise, and one of Capcom's biggest moneymakers. If they're thinking about putting in more reps from the third party companies already in the game then Street Fighter will definitely be considered. You don't get to decide this for them. Your reasons for not wanting more characters are completely arbitrary and ridiculous. They don't just exclude characters for no reason, because they feel like it. They always look at gameplay potential FIRST, and make their decisions based on how interesting the gameplay can potentially be, because they're professionals and not children. If they have an idea for a character that plays well in Smash then there is no reason for them not to try making it, and as far as I see it Ryu could be a great a character. Nintendo chooses who to make as DLC, if you don't want the character then just don't buy him. You are not harmed in any way by ignoring the DLC characters you don't ever intend to use.

Also that thing about "100 characters" shows me that you don't have a clue how percentages work. Good job failing 2nd grade math, I guess.

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

I think the thing a lot of people are missing, though, is the fact that if this is true and these characters are to be included in Smash 4, then Nintendo may have gone back on their DLC stance. We knew about Mewtwo, Lucas and the Mystery Poll Character, but these guys literally came out of the woodwork. It's no secret that Smash has a pretty large following, so I don't see any reason why Nintendo wouldn't try to capitalize on it... and maybe throwing these little tidbits of info our way to find is a way to gauge response.

Still want Geno, Rayman and/or Banjo and Kazooie for Smash 4. I can dream, OKAY?!?
Nintendo has their own character choices that they'd like to see in the game as well, the poll winners don't have to comprise ALL of the DLC characters.

I think they're going to have multiple poll choices as DLC characters, not just one. If they're going to all this trouble to make DLC characters in the first place, when making even one character takes a lot of time and money, then they're more than likely going to go all out with the characters and stages for the game.

Mario Kart 8 is definitive proof that Nintendo is more than willing to splurge on DLC; most companies would just release one track and a couple of different karts, not 16 new tracks and 6 new characters. I'm optimistic that they'll give Smash the same treatment. We're bound to see lots of veterans and newcomers.

Last edited:

justaway12

Smash Master
Both Megaman and Ryu in Smash Bros?

This can obviously mean one thing....

NINTENDO VS CAPCOM LET'S GOOOO.

But seriously, I guess I wouldn't mind their additions, I don't particularly care for either character but eh, though I'd have prefered Chun-Li~

Last edited:

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
I just want to say that Ryu is always going to be one of my favourite video game characters. He has always been a fun character to play as in his own games, and I think almost every Smash player has probably thought up ways his iconic moves would be interpreted in the Smash Bros fighting engine.

People think that Ryu is completely limited to the Shoryuken, the Hadoken, and the Tatsumaki Senpukyaku (which I actually can pronounce perfectly). He actually has several other moves like the Joudan Sokudogeri, the powerful side kick he uses in Street Fighter 3 and his various other crossover appearances, which could be his down special, but I would prefer to see his flaming Hadoken as his down B, as it could be a more powerful Hadoken with more starting and ending lag.

As for his final smash, why not have a 'full transformation' final smash? Ryu could tap into the Power of Nothingness and glow with blue energy. The Hadoken would then be replaced with the unblockable and chargeable Denjin Hadoken, the Shoryuken could then be replaced by the oh-so-satisfying Shin Shoryuken, his Tatsumaki could then be replaced by the Shinku Tatsumaki, and the flaming Hadoken could be replaced with the almighty Shinku Hadoken!

While Evil Ryu could be cool to see as a Final Smash transformation, the character has almost always appeared as a 'what if' version of Ryu and acts as a separate character entirely. Plus, Gouken purged Ryu of the Satsui No Hado ages ago.

Last edited:

Leon Rios

Smash Cadet
NNID
LeonRios
I think they're going to have multiple poll choices as DLC characters, not just one. If they're going to all this trouble to make DLC characters in the first place, when making even one character takes a lot of time and money, then they're more than likely going to go all out with the characters and stages for the game.

Mario Kart 8 is definitive proof that Nintendo is more than willing to splurge on DLC; most companies would just release one track and a couple of different karts, not 16 new tracks and 6 new characters. I'm optimistic that they'll give Smash the same treatment. We're bound to see lots of veterans and newcomers.
That's what I'm thinking. You hit the nail right on the head, sir. Who are you hoping for?

AirshBornely

Smash Lord
NNID
AirshBornely
3DS FC
4596-9541-7759

This is the Ryu we're talking about right? :D
I'm late on making this joke

Last edited:

WaveDashCash

Smash Apprentice
If we're going to have a Ryu, I'd much rather have this guy:

PROS:
The original trilogy of Ninja Gaiden games were some of the most popular games on the original NES, and for a while the series was exclusive to Nintendo Consoles, with new ones even appearing on them in current times.

Tecmo has done work for Nintendo and has done several collaborations with them in recent times as well. They have a good relationship.

Ryu's moveset has some potential. Unlike fellow "ninjas" Sheik and Greninja, Ryu wields a blade and a variety of other weapons.

NeepKing

Smash Rookie
I already have Roy in my game. He wears these chill sunglasses and rides in a Koopa Copter. He looks a bit different but at least he isn't a Marth clone like that useless waifu.
:4roy::4roy::4roy:

PsychoJosh

That's what I'm thinking. You hit the nail right on the head, sir. Who are you hoping for?
It's a long shot but I'd like Lip from Panel de Pon and Wario with moves based on Warioland. Wouldn't mind seeing Bayonetta either.

My choices are a little tame but it's because I'm content with the characters that are in the game already (except Wario). I haven't really put much thought into it.

I'm also conflicted on whether or not I want to see Shantae. She'd be interesting, but it'd dash my hopes of uh... getting her as a guest in my fighting game.

Last edited:

Kirbizard

Smash Cadet
If this is real, then Wolf isn't as sure a bet as people like to think. Better get voting on that ballot if you want him in!

That said, I'm not completely convinced until we get some other people backing this up.

PsychoJosh

Crash Bandicoot in Smash. Why not? That'd be the ultimate vindication. He doesn't show up in Sony's Playstation All-Stars but he does show up in Nintendo's Smash Bros. Time makes fools of us all, doesn't it...

Fluorescent

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NeoRashi
3DS FC
2122-7596-1415
IT'S HARD TO BELIEVE

But if it's true that would be cool (Ryu in smash?)

D

Deleted member

Oh look. A copy paste of soundfiles from old soundtracks. So exciting.

If you've caught my sarcasm here, good job.

Mrwhatzitooya

Smash Journeyman
I would certainly love to see Ryu as a fighter in Smash4. I'm not a big Roy fan *braces for Roy fanboy riot*, but I wouldn't mind seeing him in it. However, I can't really see it happening, at least not until Smash Ballot's results (if enough votes get tallied up for each).

Still, we can dream, right? :) Let's just enjoy the mighty Mewtwo for now! :D

Last edited:

RodNutTakin

Smash Ace
Patch 1.0.7 Notes:
-Replaced all non-FE characters with other lords.
-Only FE-themed clothes can be worn by Miis.
-Castle Siege, Coliseum, and Arena Ferox are the only playable stages
-Greninja nerfed

Top Bottom