• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Predictions; the New and the Cut

Xpinkbean

Smash Apprentice
So far we have 3 confirmed characters for Super Smash Bros. Switch.
  • Mario
  • Link (Breath Of The Wild Re-Design)
  • Inklings
Before I start predicting characters, I believe no character from Super Smash Bros. Switch will be cut; my reasoning is simple.Technology is rapidly changing, but we have reached a ceiling; video game graphic improvements are stagnant. Super smash bros. Wii U is a level below the best possible graphics. Compare the (somewhat) recent Final Fantasy movie to it, the only way to take a step up is to put insane amounts of effort into production, and even if they did, I don't think any current engine could have enough processing power to run it which they could implement into consoles. With that out of the way, I believe that Super Smash Bros. Switch will reuse A ton of assets, from models to sound, anything they couldn't really improve upon. I believe that Smash Switch will introduce a whole plethora of characters, possibly even more than the last entry.

Onto Character predictions:

Cut:

None

New:

Waluigi (Super Mario)
Young Link (Not Clone, adopts previous installment's moveset of Link)
Ridley (Scott's believe it or not)
Lyn (Fire Emblem)
Marx OR bandanna dee (Kirby)
Wolf (Star Fox)
Decidueye(Pokemon)
Tom Nook, KK Slider, OR Isabel (Animal Crossing)
Pyra(Xenoblade)
Ice Climbers
Simon Belmont (Castlevania)
Nester (Nintendo Power Mascot)

These are characters who I believe have high priority and merit as compared to other characters seem to want in. If anything, I expect half of these predictions to be correct. When it comes to Sakurai, up is down and left is right; even goku and sans have a shot

DonkeyKong24

Smash Rookie
Mt. Laurel, NJ (Hometown); Glassboro, NJ (College)
I don't think there will be any cut characters this time. I predict everyone from Smash 4, plus the Ice Climbers and Wolf, will return. The Inklings would obviously be joining them since they've been confirmed.

Now, as for my newcomer predictions, I have revised my predictions many times, but here is who I predict will become playable for the first time in Super Smash Bros Switch:

1. Daisy (Super Mario Bros)
  2. Waluigi (Super Mario Bros)
  3. Captain Toad (Super Mario Bros) - with Archivist Toadette as an alt
  4. Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong Country)
  5. King K. Rool (Donkey Kong Country)
  6. Ridley (Metroid)
  7. Bandana Dee (Kirby)
  8. Decidueye (Pokemon)
  9. Isabelle (Animal Crossing)
  10. Rex & Pyra (Xenoblade Chronicles) - with Mythra as a possible alt for Pyra
  11. Takamaru (The Mysterious Murasame Castle)
  12. Spring Man (ARMS) - with Ribbon Girl as an alt
  13. Simon Belmont (Castlevania)
  14. Crash Bandicoot (Crash Bandicoot)
  15. Spyro the Dragon (Spyro)
  16. Goku (Dragon Ball Z)
  17. Banjo-Kazooie (Banjo-Kazooie)
  18. Rayman (Rayman)
  19. Monster Hunter (Monster Hunter)
  20. Shovel Knight (Shovel Knight)
  21. Possibly new Mii Fighter type (probably Mii Mage - despite the fact that it was fan made)

***Brief Side Note*** My predictions were done largely based on Vergeben's alleged leak of Ridley, Simon Belmont, and the Ice Climbers. Crash Bandicoot, Spyro the Dragon, and Goku were also mentioned as alleged leaks in an article about that. I made my other predictions, based on who is most wanted as newcomers and are most likely to enter (Daisy is my only dark horse candidate - I predict she will be a somewhat unexpected reveal), to tie up loose ends.

Last edited:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
I think it's probably a port, so I figure there won't be many characters added, and, unfortunately, no cuts.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I think it's probably a port, so I figure there won't be many characters added, and, unfortunately, no cuts.
Not sure why you think either of those are the case. Nintendo's generally been up front about Switch games being Wii U ports (with Mario Kart 8, Tropical Freeze, Captain Toad, and Pokken, we knew as soon as the games were properly revealed), and I don't see why "not removing characters" would be a bad thing.

Also, just a heads up that there is a dedicated Roster Prediction thread, and a Roster Maker thread that allows you to make images for your roster..

Last edited:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Not sure why you think either of those are the case. Nintendo's generally been up front about Switch games being Wii U ports (with Mario Kart 8, Tropical Freeze, Captain Toad, and Pokken, we knew as soon as the games were properly revealed), and I don't see why "not removing characters" would be a bad thing.
Because it's fairly soon after the release of Sm4sh, it's an easy cashgrab, and Smash Switch arguably hasn't been "properly" revealed.

As far as cutting characters, I want Bayonetta out of the game, along with some others.

DonkeyKong24

Smash Rookie
Mt. Laurel, NJ (Hometown); Glassboro, NJ (College)
I actually changed my mind about Vergeben's leak, due to what Sakurai has said about Ridley, and issues with Konami about Snake (Simon Belmont is owned by Konami), so I made a second roster prediction:

Veterans

• Everyone from Smash 4, including the DLCs

Returning Characters

• Ice Climbers

• Wolf

Newcomers

1. Daisy (Super Mario Bros)

2. Waluigi (Super Mario Bros)

3. Captain Toad (Super Mario Bros)

• Archivist Toadette as an alt
  4. Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong Country)

5. King K. Rool (Donkey Kong Country)

6. Bandana Dee (Kirby)

7. Decidueye (Pokemon)

8. Alm (Fire Emblem)

9. Celica (Fire Emblem)

10. Tails (Sonic)

11. Knuckles (Sonic)

12. Isabelle (Animal Crossing)

13. Rex & Pyra (Xenoblade Chronicles)

• Mythra as an alt for Pyra
  14. Inkling Girl (Splatoon)

• Inkling Boy as an alt
  15. Takamaru (The Mysterious Murasame Castle)

16. Karate Joe (Rhythm Heaven)

17. Spring Man (ARMS)

• Ribbon Girl
  18. Banjo-Kazooie (Banjo-Kazooie)

19. Rayman (Rayman)

20. Monster Hunter (Monster Hunter)

21. Shovel Knight (Shovel Knight)

22. Possibly a new Mii Fighter type

• Most likely Mii Mage, despite the fact that it was fan made
Screen Selection Rows

1. Row #1: Dr. Mario, Mario, Luigi, Peach, Daisy, Yoshi, Rosalina & Luma, Cpt. Toad, Bowser, Bowser Jr., Wario, Waluigi, DK, Diddy, Dixie, K. Rool

1. Row #2: Link, Zelda, Sheik, Ganondorf, Toon Link, Samus, Zero-Suit Samus, Kirby, King Dedede, Meta Knight, Bandana Dee, Fox, Falco, Wolf, Ness, Lucas

1. Row #3: Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Charizard, Lucario, Greninja, Decidueye, Marth, Roy, Ike, Robin, Lucina, Corrin, Alm, Celica, Cpt. Falcon

1. Row #4: Pit, Palutena, Dark Pit, Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Villager, Isabelle, Shulk, Rex & Pyra, Ice Climbers, Game & Watch, Olimar, R.O.B., Little Mac, Wii Fit Trainer

1. Row #5: Duck Hunt, Inkling Girl, Takamaru, Karate Joe, Spring Man, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Ryu, Cloud, Bayonetta, Banjo-Kazooie, Rayman, Monster Hunter, Shovel Knight, Mii, Random

***Brief Side Note*** (I still think Daisy could get into Smash Switch as a dark horse reveal. I added Karate Joe for an additional newly represented Nintendo franchise. A Rhythm Heaven character and stage were also planned for Smash 4, but were cut, so I think Karate Joe could get in this time since he is the most recurring character. I also added in Tails and Knuckles since Sonic is an established Smash Bros character, and a semi-Nintendo character due to the Mario & Sonic games, and so I think the Sonic series could get additional representation in Smash Switch. Since new Fire Emblem characters are added into every Smash Bros game, I predict that Alm and Celica will both get in since they were the protagonists of Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia.)

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Aren't you guys being a little too optimistic on the newcomers predictions?

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
That’s a lot of newcomers being predicted...

Inkling Girl (Splatoon), with Inkling Boy as an alt.
I think that’s already gonna happen based on the teaser, so you get one right atleast

Because it's fairly soon after the release of Sm4sh, it's an easy cashgrab, and Smash Switch arguably hasn't been "properly" revealed.

As far as cutting characters, I want Bayonetta out of the game, along with some others.
They’re most likely reusing Sm4sh things and updating them, while adding more new things than old to make sure it’s a new game...also Bayo could just be nerfed

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
They’re most likely reusing Sm4sh things and updating them, while adding more new things than old to make sure it’s a new game...also Bayo could just be nerfed
That argument is not really relevant seeing as Brawl reused Melee assets and Smash 4 reused Brawl assets.

Nebunera

Smash Apprentice
So far we have 3 confirmed characters for Super Smash Bros. Switch.
  • Mario
  • Link (Breath Of The Wild Re-Design)
  • Inklings
Why would Mario and Link be cut? Of course they are confirmed, the original 12 from the N64 are always gonna stay, they are basically the main characters.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
That argument is not really relevant seeing as Brawl reused Melee assets and Smash 4 reused Brawl assets.
And each time they reused things from the past, they would have way more things new than old to keep it as a new game. It’s relevant enough to back up Smash 5 being a new game (like how OoT and MM have lots of the same things reused, but we’re still completely different games overall)

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
My predictions:

Newcomers:
- Paper Mario
He's got a fair amount of popularity and with a paper mario game releasing in 2016 and a paper mario & Luigi game in 2015 he's a relevant character. Using his hammer as well as stickers, cards and of course partners there's a crazy amount of moveset potential here to mess around with.

- Dixie Kong
Tropical Freeze released in 2014 which makes her pretty relevant, she's an iconic and fairly well known character, even starring in her own game and she's one of the few "nintendo all-stars" that isn't in the game yet. There's a lot you can do with her moveset too thanks to the ponytail, she can have a gliding ability and would make an interesting aerial based fighter and you could incorporating a sort of grappling sort of playstyle too. Dixie was also considered for Brawl so sakurai definitely has ideas for how she would play.

- A Zelda rep
I can't possibly say which one but Impa or a champion are probably your best bet.

- Bandana Dee
He's become essentially the 4th main kirby character, appearing in every game since his reintroduction in Return to Dreamland and featuring heavily in promotional material. He's also decently popular and the spear gives him a unique weapon to craft a moveset around.

- Decidueye
Going off the basis that the pokemon newcomer was chosen around mid-2016, we can safely say they won't be picked based off of popularity. Sakurai going with another starter seems like a safe bet and decidueye is a character that would fit extremely well in smash and would offer a unique playstyle with traps and the archer archetype. He would also complete the grass, fire, water trio although we can't say if this would actually be an influencing factor to Sakurai. But out of all the gen 7 mons he seems like a fairly safe bet.

- Isabelle
Has quickly risen to become a nintendo all star and is extremely popular, while moveset potential is lacking there's still stuff you can do with her and the character is so popular I see nintendo wanting her in regardless.

- Elma
Xenoblade Chronicles X's release in mid 2015 puts it at a good opportunity to be represented in smash and Elma would make a very unique character with her dual swords and guns weaponry, she's also a character who will undoubtably be relevant in the future since her game pretty much ends half way through and a sequel seems like a matter of when and not if at this point, especially since developers have shown interest in making both an X port and sequel.

- Chorus Kids
It's heavily speculated they were intended for smash 4 but for one reason or another (time constraints? 3DS limitations?) they were left on the cutting room floor. I think now would be a great time to add them especially since they had a game out in 2015. Any Rhythm Heaven rep seems extremely likely.

- Rayman
Nintendo and Ubisoft have a great relationship right now and Nintendo even published Rayman Legends in Japan where it was actually a wii u exclusive (weird but okay), anyway Rayman makes a lot of sense, Ubisoft obviously wants him in if they sent Sakurai models which were then used as trophies in smash 4 (maybe they wanted him in that game but it was too late or something?) and the moveset is 90% done thanks to Rayman Origins and Legends where he essentially has a full set of tilts, aerials and even smashes.

Returning vets:
- Ice Climbers
They were held back due to 3DS limitations, there's really no reason to bring these 2 time veterans back

- Wolf
Relevant thanks to Star Fox Zero in 2016, Star Fox kind of has to get another character at this point and Wolf obviously makes the most sense due to his immense popularity, also Slippy and Peppy don't really offer that much in the way of unique newcomer potential.

Outside of these 11 characters I really don't have a clue, Ridley or Simon thanks to those leaks? King K Rool and other ballot choices? Chibi Robo, Wonder Red or Henry fleming who are relevant but their games flopped? Who knows man. I also don't think we're getting any cuts.

kirbstr

Smash Apprentice

you do realize that Smash 4 had a development cycle of only 3 years while they had to develop for two different games on two different hardware. Just because the games have been spaced out in the past doesn't mean that it will take that long this time. The Wii U died an early death, Smash will come earlier than usual. Most Smash games are released in the first or second year in a consoles lifetime.

If it were an "easy cash grab" like you say it is. Tell me, what do you think the reaction from hardcore fans would be if this game was teased and just ended up being a port? This whole "port" thing is such as a stupid argument. There is absolutely no evidence pointing towards it being a port whereas they flat out stated it would be a new game in their yearly fiscal report.

Why would you ever want any characters gone? The more the merrier imo. If your only reason for them being cut is "they are broken" or "they are irrelevant", I don't see how that would play into you wishing they weren't in. Sure, you don't like them in particular, but why would you ever want less content in a game?

Last edited:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
you do realize that Smash 4 had a development cycle of only 3 years while they had to develop for two different games on two different hardware. Just because the games have been spaced out in the past doesn't mean that it will take that long this time. The Wii U died an early death, Smash will come earlier than usual. Most Smash games are released in the first or second year in a consoles lifetime.

If it were an "easy cash grab" like you say it is. Tell me, what do you think the reaction from hardcore fans would be if this game was teased and just ended up being a port? This whole "port" thing is such as a stupid argument. There is absolutely no evidence pointing towards it being a port whereas they flat out stated it would be a new game in their yearly fiscal report.

Why would you ever want any characters gone? The more the merrier imo. If your only reason for them being cut is "they are broken" or "they are irrelevant", I don't see how that would play into you wishing they weren't in. Sure, you don't like them in particular, but why would you ever want less content in a game?
Lol, as if Sakurai cares about "hardcore fans" outside of his imaginary Falcondorf fans he cares so much about.

Let's do a little thought experiment. Imagine graphic fatalities in smash. Do you want that? I bet you don't, but why would you ever want less content in a game?

Bayonetta doesn't belong in Smash, I hate R.O.B.'s design, and Jigglypuff is boring and gimmicky as ****. Get used to people having different opinions.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I don't want Snake in Smash either.
Well unlike Bayo and Sega/Platinum, Snake and Konami haven’t been doing anything to deserve a second chance with Nintendo (Simon maybe...but he’s still a Konami character)

kirbstr

Smash Apprentice
Lol, as if Sakurai cares about "hardcore fans" outside of his imaginary Falcondorf fans he cares so much about.

Let's do a little thought experiment. Imagine graphic fatalities in smash. Do you want that? I bet you don't, but why would you ever want less content in a game?

Bayonetta doesn't belong in Smash, I hate R.O.B.'s design, and Jigglypuff is boring and gimmicky as ****. Get used to people having different opinions.

Yea but what about when those hardcore fans decide not to buy the game and instead choose to make a giant stink about it? There would be global outrage on a scale that not even brawl's mediocrity as a competitive entry could live up to. They bent after the outrage of brawl, no way they'd do something like this knowing the consequence, they aren't stupid. Also is Sakurai really the type of person to port a game? Ever?

Continuing on that thought process, those fatalities would not contribute to the game more than just a lot of gore for no reason. SImilar to tripping, that is not content that would add to the game. For many, it would even be a turn-off. Character inclusions add to the game in literally every way possible even if they are a clone or "don't feel like a smash character". No matter what characters are in smash I'll still like them because at the end of the day it's just more cool characters for me to play as in the game.

Bayo belongs in smash because she is in smash. You can hate R.O.B.'s design, but again, why would you want him cut? I really don't understand. Is he taking away from the game for you in some way? if so what? please help me. Same thing for jigglypuff. You can have that opinion, but I can think it's dumb.

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
CUT:
None

RETURNING:
Ice Climbers
Wolf

NEW:
Geno
King K. Rool
Dixie Kong
Ridley
Marx
Decidueye
Rex & Pyra
Inkling
Spring Man
Simon
Rayman
Shantae
Banjo & Kazooie

Last edited:

MrsRainbowRambo

Smash Rookie
Who do I predict will be in the new Smash?

Crash Bandicoot
Xenoblade representation
Banjo-Kazooie
A fan favorite character from Kirby Star Allies
Cappy w/Mario

All I got so far that I feel are somewhat realistic

Sinn0h

Thot
A lot of these predictions seem WAY too optimistic.

Though I'd enjoy having all the characters I want added to smash, it's more likely that we'll get around 15-ish, including DLC. Plus we're gonna have cuts, that should be inevitable at this point. The roster is getting too big, and a huge roster, while fun and diverse, is really hard to manage.

Cuts:
Bowser Jr.
Wii Fit (Unless they want to keep them as some kind of homage to the Wii)
Probably some more but it's kind of hard to predict. Probably just the least popular characters.

Returning:
Ice Climbers (Maybe)

Wolf is dead.

New:
Xenoblade rep (Maybe Rex and Pyra/Mythra but Pyra/Mythra stands on the sidelines like the PKMN Trainer in Brawl)
A Couple characters from upcoming switch games.
An unexpected, obscure, character.

From a business perspective, the rest of the newcomers are all just going to be fan favorite characters, either to act as a selling point for the game or as an incentive to buy DLC.

And maybe a couple new non-Nintendo characters (probably not many though).

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Based of the vegen leak if real

And thanks to this video

He explains the reason for these characters better than me
(Some are outside his comfort zone)

No cuts

Theory might be using nearly the same assets for each character is how they pulled it off

Ice climbers and wolf come back

New
Inklings - OFCOARSE

Ridley - even without the leak still possible he could get the villager scenario (PAC-man and miis are on the same boat by the way) and probably from the crouching from Samus return might help since he can be taller but look smaller and maybe the ballot showed sakurai no matter what he throws we will still want Ridley playable I would say his size would be 1/8 to 1/6 taller than bowser

King k rool - seriously what is going on here you all still doubt quite a bit all because of relevance a lot of veterans from the past are no longer relevant it's like your all not noticing the part that he's japans most wanted playable probably the real most voted on the ballot , king k rool suit proves he's on sakurai radar, ballot votes probably gives him ground one or more are probably non dlc from the ballot this is his best shot yet. Don't let the past ge to your head.

Rex & pyra - yea out of all the possible reps from xenoblade these to have the most ground

Two new Pokémon reps - there's a pattern and that's in every smash game we had two new playable Pokémon from the past for this case decidueye for fan favorite and lycanroc for most promoted

To explain lyranroc I'm seriously clueless to why you guys don't see lycanroc as very possible he's the most focused on out of all the Pokémon in gen 7 from the company particularly the midnight form and also high move set potential by what I'm seeing from you guys it's going to be greninja all over again never seeing it coming.

Dixie king - clearly to present for tropical freeze and request level

Captain toad - not shoe in level I can't tell you that it's just usually we end up with a new Mario rep and captain toad is the highest level not saying it will happen though

Simon - this only because of the leak I have other replacements

Rhythm heaven rep - supposivly the chorus kids were mean't for smash 4 roster cut for limitations of the 3ds and I always saw it as possible I feel rhythm heaven girl makes more sense since she's the main character

Crash bandikoot- not base roster him becoming relevant to Nintendo all over again may have happened but it is too late for the base roster since it was finalized in 2016 I'm talking dlc if it's a thing in this probably would replace Simon with him

Bandana dee or Marx - dee is the last main Kirby character left Marx is only cause of the new game but I think too late for base roster as well

Ray-man - most promoted third party from what I have seen on thr switch (I think) very highly requested and the rabbits are especially focused on.

Monster hunter - just watch the video I'm just going along with it.

I'm not saying spring man

You all keep making this fatal mistake his game was born way way way after the roster was finalized in 2016 if he's in its dlc not bad roster

Top Bottom