• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
-THIS THREAD HAS NOW BEEN CLOSED PERMANENTLY-

With the absence of the Roster Discussion thread, to hopefully have on topic discussions, I made this thread so that we could discuss rosters that people propose as their predictions.

Here is mine below
:

Here is my updated roster that totals at 49 character slots, with 53 total.

The group of characters at the bottom is a pool of potential DLC characters in case DLC is used (note that Shulk, Dillon and Isaac are in there in case they do not make the initial roster). Bomberman I just personally think would be awesome.

Explanation:
Basically all vets are in there because I want all vets to return. As far as the newcomers...

Ridley,Megaman, K.Rool, Mewtwo, Palutena and Roy are all self-explanatory.
Shulk is one of my most wanted newcomers, and I do expect him to be playable.
Chrom is a character I happen to like, and if we get four FE characters, I feel as if it would be him.
Lloyd Irving I happen to like a hell of a lot more than Pac-Man, and I find it likely that Namco will get a rep.
Isaac because I think he has quite a bit of potential to be a cool character.
Little Mac because I think he should have been there awhile ago if you ask me.
Takamaru because I find him to be a likely retro.
Paper Mario because I see him as a very unique Mario newcomer (not that the others aren't)
Dillon I see as a representative of the e-shop and it's success

Feel free to discuss other rosters and your own! Hopefully this does not get locked. Please stay on topic!

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I'd be fine with that roster. Includes all wanted characters... and no WTFs (Not sure how WTF Bomberman is). 9/10

I suppose it's a good way to pass time till E3. Though I'd rather play some game instead. :p

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Without Bomberman, I say it's fairly realistic. Sorry Bomberman.

9.5/10

Maffewt

Smash Apprentice
[COLLAPSE="Hidden because it's pretty big"]
[/COLLAPSE]

Just try and make a better roster than this.
Oh that's right, you can't.

Updated because it went down before
Bar the DLC and Roy and Lloyd (even though I love them two..), this is my favourite. I'd make barely any changes.

D

Deleted member

With the absence of the Roster Discussion thread, to hopefully have on topic discussions, I made this thread so that we could discuss rosters that people propose as their predictions.

Here is mine below:

The group of characters at the bottom is a pool of potential DLC characters in case DLC is used (note that Shulk, Dillon and Isaac are in there in case they do not make the initial roster). Bomberman I just personally think would be awesome.

Feel free to discuss other rosters and your own! Hopefully this does not get locked. Please stay on topic!
Overall, I'm most likely to agree with this projected roster. However, I can't guarantee that all of these characters will be playable.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Seriously, I think Zelda warrants a newcomer. And it should be Impa.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I prefer Pac-Man over Llyod but I can live with Scoliosis Jone's roster. I think Bowser Jr has a great chance of being in initial roster. I feel like past characters/clones will be in DLC like Dr. Mario and Pichu.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I hope not. I'd like Bowser Jr. as a semi clone better than whatever Dr.Mario can bring.

Of coarse taken we'd have Toad or Paper Mario before Bowser Jr.

D

Deleted member

My prediction roster with third-party characters. I am prepared to explain every inclusion and every exclusion.

Why does this roster feel like there's so much synergy going on?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
My prediction roster with third-party characters. I am prepared to explain every inclusion and every exclusion.
A very realistic roster.... all popular characters are in. 9/10

Though I should ask why Samurai Goroh is in instead of a Mario newcomer. :?:

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
If I were him, I'd say it was because Mario has no clear front runner as far as a newcomer is concerned, so ATM it wouldn't really be possible to pick one. Or something similar.

D

Deleted member

A very realistic roster.... all popular characters are in. 9/10

But I didn't put in WAAAAA.

I think Mario has a decent chance of getting a new rep. Over-representation shouldn't be an issue considering that we got five Mario characters in Melee and was planned five in Brawl as well. The reason why I left one out is because there's no general consensus on what the Mario rep should be and that there's no clear additions to be made. While this can be argued to a lesser extent for Fire Emblem, it's really just competition between Roy and maybe Chrom whereas with Mario, there's Toad, Bowser Jr, Paper Mario, Dr. Mario, Waluigi and even Geno to take into consideration and people can't agree on whom the rep should be. I wouldn't be surprised if the Mario rep war was similar to the one for Fire Emblem once E3 2013 comes around.

So it isn't that a Mario rep is unlikely so much as there's no clear stand-outs. However, if I were to add another slot, it would be for the Mario franchise and either Toad or Bowser Jr.
Forgive my ignorance, but why Mach Rider SSBF?
Mainly because he was Sakurai's favorite choice in Melee, indicating that Sakurai likes him. I also feel as Sakurai will be reviving a retro character. Takamaru has been in a way, revived (if he gets a new game, I expect Platnium Games to do it), so that's why I'm thinking Mach Rider.

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422

Here is mine below:

On the roster my only qualm is Paper Mario as I feel that Bowser Jr. or Toad would do more to diversify the Mario roster. (Personal opinion of course)

As far as Dillion, Takamaru, and Palutena, I have not played their respective games thus I cannot decide their worth until then. In Palutena's case I hope the support for her in general isn't because she is female/ her fan-service-ish looks and personality suckered people in to supporting her. And perhaps four Fire Emblem characters may be asking for too much but hey, who knows?

Sorry Swamp but I think this roster has dethroned yours for my top place as it is pretty much a less conservative version of mine. I believe if I expanded it to 49 it would look almost exactly the same save for Paper Mario.

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace

Why does this roster feel like there's so much synergy going on?
Care to explain the inclusion of Dixie kong and lucario? And just so you know I do know that Dixie is one of the 7 but I still do not think she has a likely chance

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Care to explain the inclusion of Dixie kong and lucario? And just so you know I do know that Dixie is one of the 7 but I still do not think she has a likely chance
Why would Lucario not be there?

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Wow. I'm glad this thread is getting some attention. Hopefully this can kind of be a tentative replacement for the roster thread. I'm probably going to update my OP with reasoning for each selection.

Btw, Super Smash Bros. Fan, I could agree with that roster, save for a few things. But that's a good roster.

D

Deleted member

Dixie Kong is in if we get two Donkey Kong reps. She's popular in Japan and is the next important character after King K. Rool. As for why the Forbidden Seven helps her odds, it shows that Sakurai has expressed interest in adding her in and I have a feeling that he's not done with Dixie yet.

As for Lucario, well, why not? He's an incredibly popular Pokémon that outdid every Pokémon in popularity during the 5th gen by a big gap, not to mention that the Pokémon Company has been heavily promoting him. Also that Pokémon is basically guarantee seven characters thanks to having planned seven (or maybe even eight) in Brawl and that there are no potential newcomers that post a threat to Lucario's inclusion.

loganhogan

Smash Ace
New and Returnee:
K. Rool
Ridley
Mewtwo
Palutena
Shulk
Lucina
Dillon
Little Mac
Takamaru
Pac Man
Bayonetta
Layton

Drops:
Snake
Sonic

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
Dixie Kong is in if we get two Donkey Kong reps. She's popular in Japan and is the next important character after King K. Rool. As for why the Forbidden Seven helps her odds, it shows that Sakurai has expressed interest in adding her in and I have a feeling that he's not done with Dixie yet.

As for Lucario, well, why not? He's an incredibly popular Pokémon that outdid every Pokémon in popularity during the 5th gen by a big gap, not to mention that the Pokémon Company has been heavily promoting him. Also that Pokémon is basically guarantee seven characters thanks to having planned seven (or maybe even eight) in Brawl and that there are no potential newcomers that post a threat to Lucario's inclusion.
Well my reasoning behind not having Lucario is Mewtwos imminent inclusion especially since they announced his new form and he has been requested so much. Mewtwo and lucario are just too similar to be in the same fighting game when there are plenty of other choices that would be much more interesting. Plus I think that they would rather go for characters from more recent games. I for one personally believe that zoroark will not be in the game either even though he would make a great character and instead we will get a currently unknown character from x and y (possibly the giratina or kyurem of the 6th gen). I will say that unlike many many smash fans I am an avid supporter of having new characters and leaving the characters that don't compliment the cast behind (this is why I have never liked the inclusion of a second link that is nearly exactly the same) I think that it would be quite possible that we won't see lucario, snake, rob, Lucas, Ike, and even falco in the next game

As for Dixie kong I just don't think she would make a unique enough character. It's not that donkey kong isn't a big series but I don't think there are any other characters important enough to warrant inclusion. Just like how I think there won't be any other wario characters since there aren't any other major ones. I don't like to think of characters on a series basis but more just from the Importance of the character to Nintendo standpoint (which is why fire emblem should get more characters!)

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Well my reasoning behind not having Lucario is Mewtwos imminent inclusion especially since they announced his new form and he has been requested so much. Mewtwo and lucario are just too similar to be in the same fighting game when there are plenty of other choices that would be much more interesting. Plus I think that they would rather go for characters from more recent games. I for one personally believe that zoroark will not be in the game either even though he would make a great character and instead we will get a currently unknown character from x and y (possibly the giratina or kyurem of the 6th gen). I will say that unlike many many smash fans I am an avid supporter of having new characters and leaving the characters that don't compliment the cast behind (this is why I have never liked the inclusion of a second link that is nearly exactly the same) I think that it would be quite possible that we won't see lucario, snake, rob, Lucas, Ike, and even falco in the next game

As for Dixie kong I just don't think she would make a unique enough character. It's not that donkey kong isn't a big series but I don't think there are any other characters important enough to warrant inclusion. Just like how I think there won't be any other wario characters since there aren't any other major ones. I don't like to think of characters on a series basis but more just from the Importance of the character to Nintendo standpoint (which is why fire emblem should get more characters!)
But...Lucario AND Mewtwo were both planned for Brawl...

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
But...Lucario AND Mewtwo were both planned for Brawl...
Mewtwo would've ended up being a clone (or semi-clone with similar powers). Sakurai has stated that he is aiming away from clones for the next smash and is aiming for uniqueness (huzzah) also there is the fact that mewtwo would likely have a form transforming move in the next smash. Also also there is the fact that lucarios game had just come out when brawl came out so both characters were prominent at that point. And then of course there is the point that well... Mewtwo didn't make it in brawl after all so something must have happened to keep him out.

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
Sonic happened, which forced them to cut Mewtwo and Roy due to time constraints.
Don't quote me on this but wasn't that just a rumor? If I remember correctly sonic was announced well before the game was released. Also I read somewhere that both sonic and snake were considered for Melee but were cut because of time restraints but both companies just made a deal to get their characters into the next game.m

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Sonic happened, which forced them to cut Mewtwo and Roy due to time constraints.
Had I known that Sonic's inclusion would have cut Roy and Mewtwo, I'd have preferred if they delayed one more time. I'm serious.

Still, Brawl is a great and enjoyable game.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Cuts are not popular around here.

Plus many of those characters have any real reason to leave.

And Newtwo is the 6 Gen mascot.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Don't quote me on this but wasn't that just a rumor? If I remember correctly sonic was announced well before the game was released. Also I read somewhere that both sonic and snake were considered for Melee but were cut because of time restraints but both companies just made a deal to get their characters into the next game.
Mewtwo and Roy have beta elements, such as their own victory themes in the disk.

Sonic was added late in development due to massive fan demand.

In Melee, Hideo Kojima has requested Snake, but Melee was too far into development so he was added in Brawl.

Common sense tells us that it was impossible for Sonic to be considered in Melee, given that Sega was still active in the console market at that time.

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
Cuts are not popular around here.

Plus many of those characters have any real reason to leave.

And Newtwo is the 6 Gen mascot.
Not that they should be. But I think people should be acceptant of the fact that they will very likely happen and there may even be some that will surprise people.

And how could you possibly know mewtwo will be the mascot when literally nothing is known about the game

D

Deleted member

...Actually, I'm not sure that's accurate anymore. Considering how late Sonic was added to the game, and how the game had to be delayed just to work him in, I'm thinking that the low priority characters sans Jiggz, Tink, and Wolf were axed before Sonic's addition.
Think about it; the low priority characters were scrapped when time would not allow for their production. With Sonic, Sakurai had to make time for his production (and not just him; there was also everything from the Sonic series that was included in Brawl that had to be squeezed in as well). And the only reason it turned out ok was because Sega was involved with the production (Sakurai stated that he had no part in Sonic's moves, for example).

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
[quote="Noler_Mass, post: 15480286, member: 219224"And how could you possibly know mewtwo will be the mascot when literally nothing is known about the game[/quote]
He is the Lucario/Zoroark of this generation.

He was a bipedal pokemon who got a starring role in an upcoming movie, showcasing a Pokemon from the next generation. He is also very popular.

Newtwo is on par with Lucario and Zoroark. And frankly, I see Mewtwo/Newtwo getting in and Lucario staying.

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
Mewtwo and Roy have beta elements, such as their own victory themes in the disk.

Sonic was added late in development due to massive fan demand.

In Melee, Hideo Kojima has requested Snake, but Melee was too far into development so he was added in Brawl.

Common sense tells us that it was impossible for Sonic to be considered in Melee, given that Sega was still active in the console market at that time.
This is where I found my info about sonic being intended for melee http://www.youtube.com/watch? iv=3ciImvi3KCk it says so at around 3:05

[quote="Noler_Mass, post: 15480286, member: 219224"And how could you possibly know mewtwo will be the mascot when literally nothing is known about the game
He is the Lucario/Zoroark of this generation.

He was a bipedal pokemon who got a starring role in an upcoming movie, showcasing a Pokemon from the next generation. He is also very popular.

Newtwo is on par with Lucario and Zoroark. And frankly, I see Mewtwo/Newtwo getting in and Lucario staying.[/quote]
The difference is that Mewtwo is legendary and the others are not. plus mewtwo itself is from the first generation. I think that there will be another pokemon who will be the mascot. hopefully not a foxlike bipedal though because that cliche is a bit worn out

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The difference is that Mewtwo is legendary and the others are not. plus mewtwo itself is from the first generation. I think that there will be another pokemon who will be the mascot. hopefully not a foxlike bipedal though because that cliche is a bit worn out
Couple things.

1. Does being a legendary matter?
2. Mewtwo is originally from the first generation, but his new form WAS advertised as a NEW pokemon so it technically counts as a Gen 6 Pokemon as well.
3. I doubt we will get another mascot I honestly doubt it. Newtwo has taken the spot that Lucario and Zoroark had before.
4. Well now you have a cat like one! :awesome:

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
Couple things.

1. Does being a legendary matter?
2. Mewtwo is originally from the first generation, but his new form WAS advertised as a NEW pokemon so it technically counts as a Gen 6 Pokemon as well.
3. I doubt we will get another mascot I honestly doubt it. Newtwo has taken the spot that Lucario and Zoroark had before.
4. Well now you have a cat like one! :awesome:
1. for the games that have had mascots (1 4 and 5) none of them have been legendary. I mean maybe it wouldnt matter but at least its evidence that there could be something else on the way. This also helps to explain its movie presence since nearly all of the legendaries have had movies focused around them (I think at least. pokemon anime isnt my thing)
2. they were only calling it a new pokemon to crush peoples dreams :lick: but as for me its national pokedex number will remain 150 so it is just a well advertised old pokemon.
3. We should at least get another pokemon that is plausible to add in smash
4. cliches...

D

Deleted member

Except that the 5th Generation's mascot hasn't been defined and from perspective of the developers, Victini could easily be the mascot, thus disproving the whole "mascot cannot be legendary" thing.
It wouldn't be the first time an intended mascot didn't catch on...(poor Absol....)

But that's beside the point; the point is that Awakened Mewtwo serves as the Lucario/Zoroark of the 6th Generation; a Pokémon that stars in a movie before it's generation debut to raise hype. Mewtwo may have existed before, but Awakened Mewtwo had not.
In a way, Lugia, Latias/Latios, and Manaphy can also be seen in a similar way as the three, however, only Lucario, Zoroark, and Awakened Mewtwo can really work as Smash Bros. fighters.

But note that being the "Lucario/Zoroark" doesn't necessarily mean they are the mascot of the Generation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom