• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
Pure coincidence. I value that series VERY highly, they just got stuck there instead of the corner.

In other news, now it's a rectangle. And I'm still cutting characters -.-
(EDIT: Pretend Chrom isn't here at all.)
That's a nice amount of characters, certainly not overdoing it.
Tetra over Vaati. or maybe none
You just made the worst and last mistake of your life. :glare:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Speaking of roster organization, what if the roster was ordered like this (it's a bit of an old roster, so ignore the characters themselves):

Mario Multiuniverse on top.
Followed by the Fantasy-esque group.
Then by the Space Themed group.
After that, the Miscellaneous group.
And finally, the Retro/Hardware/Third Party group

What do you think?
Three words.

GOD I WISH.
I don't even mind Waluigi and Paper Mario because you have Simon Belmont, Saki, Isaac, Little Mac, Takamaru, and surprises like Lip, Ray, and Sukapon.

9.5/10

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Keeping Vaati, but I'm at 52. You guys got any thoughts on more cuts? I want to have a nice even 50 as my max.

D

Deleted member

Vaati?

Over....Tingle?

Minor forgettable villain vs. only Zelda character to get his own spin-offs?

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Vaati?

Over....Tingle?

Minor forgettable villain vs. only Zelda character to get his own spin-offs?
Tis the gray area. I'd either include one or the other at this point, but I'm aiming for less "swap this for this" and more "Just cut this" at the moment.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Hmm... maybe.
As it stands at 52 (With our evil, magician friend Vaati):
Newcomers stand at 12 newcomers.
Because newcomers won't be so huge in Smash 4, I'm assuming that some Veterans will be cut moreso than what happened in Melee.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I can't see Vaati getting in over Toon Zelda/Tetra or Tingle.

Vaati is a minor recurring Zelda villain with little significance to the series and few appearances compared to Ganondorf. Tingle is a more memorable character and even got his own spin-off. And Toon Zelda at least had some character data in Brawl, so at least she was considered at some point and worked on a bit.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
I can't see Vaati getting in over Toon Zelda/Tetra or Tingle.

Vaati is a minor recurring Zelda villain with little significance to the series and few appearances compared to Ganondorf.
The reason I have Vaati in is because it's moreso with Toon Link and games like Four Swords and Minish Cap. Again, that's why I'm stuck between TZ/Tetra and Vaati. They're related to the Toon incarnation of Link.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I personally I think Vaati is a memorable villain. (ableit, only the version of him that appeared in the Minish Cap. He seems to have gained a decently large fanbase because of that game)

But is he as important to the series as Ganondorf is? Nope.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Chrom was removed first.
I'm leaving in Bandana Dee, he's got a chance, but it's a HUGE tossup over they decide to finish the quartet or not.
I've decided that my roster is alright as is, I'll organize it and have it ready in a jiffy.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
yeah I really don't see another Zelda character happening. as much as the series can warrant it, we have the 2 variations of the lead and the 2 most important side characters. I think we're good. but I would like Tetra myself.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team

Ding! (And hopefully easier to read...)
-36 Veterans (Brawl Roster + Mewtwo)
-11 Newcomers (Bowser Jr. King K Rool, Shulk, Villager, Ridley, Bandana Dee, Palutena, Takamaru, Wii Fit Trainer, Little Mac, Megaman)
-47 Slots
(And, as usual, "Debateable Characters")
-King K Rool over Dixie
-Bowser Jr over Waluigi
-Takamaru over any other Retro Character
-Fifth Zelda Character?
-Whatever else I'm forgeting

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I personally I think Vaati is a memorable villain. (ableit, only the version of him that appeared in the Minish Cap. He seems to have gained a decently large fanbase because of that game)

But is he as important to the series as Ganondorf is? Nope.

I mostly agree. Obviously, Ganondorf is more important, no one is arguing that. I mean, he's freaking Ganondorf. The real question is whether or not Vaati is on the same level as Tingle and Toon Zelda. I think he's only ever so slightly below them honestly. Though the only thing I think Toon Zelda has going for her is being a easier to make clone/semi-clone.

I will say that Vaati being an important character more than one game puts him far above the likes of Ghirahim and Zant. He's had about 3 or 4 major appearances. And I'm always up for playing as magic based character. So I'd happy to see Vaati be playable, but I don't expect it. Not unless he adds one or two more games under his belt, then he'd have a even bigger step above the other Zelda characters.

Can't say a fifth Zelda character ruins anything myself, depends on who they add.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
it wouldn't ruin it. the series is just complete enough as is. another character, while im sure would be most appreciated, isn't necessary to complete that series lineup. similar in the vein that while Kirby is a big enough franchise for an additional character, however another one isn't really needed as we have the most important ones present and accounted for.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
Zelda magic number was 3, a number ruined with toon link.
I love toon link, my main and my personal favorite style for zelda, but he ruin everything ._. so, they can do whatever they want really, as long as the character choosed is relevant for the games: toon zelda, piggy ganon and vaaty, in that order.

Tingle have his own series now, its different.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I don't know about you, but I think Toon Zelda/Tetra, or even Tingle would "fit in" just fine.
Toon Zelda is ridiculously and unbelievably excessive and unnecessary and Tingle doesn't even have an important role in the actual games.

Zelda magic number was 3, a number ruined with toon link.
I love toon link, my main and my personal favorite style for zelda, but he ruin everything ._. so, they can do whatever they want really
The 3 Main characters and then a 4th as an extra alternate version of one of the 3 characters. Doesn't seem very ruined especially since a young Link is essential.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
I think that, while I'd absolutely love to see a newcomer in the Zelda series, I think that maybe Smash 4 won't be the game where this happens. Hence why there's not a 5th Zelda character in my roster. I'm all for seeing a new character related to Toon Link, but it just seems like a bit of a pipe dream.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Is a Zelda newcomer all that likely? No.

Is a Zelda newcomer necessary? No.

Is a Zelda newcomer UNECESSARY too? No.

I think the Zelda franchise is fine as it is, but it wouldn't hurt to add a new character.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I'd replace Waddle Dee with Gooey, he's a lot less generic and more deserving (to me at least)

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Zelda is like Mario.

It doesn't need anyone else. Any other characters would be a bonus.

Only difference is that the bonus hypothetical Mario characters are clearly defined. It's either Jr, Paper Mario or Waluigi.

For Zelda, we have no real idea.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Tingle, Vaati, Beast Ganon, Skull Kid, Toon Zelda/Tetra, Groose, Girahim, some other third Link?

Gimj

Smash Journeyman
I think there are no Zelda characters left that hold enough distinctiveness, importance, or star-power to warrant entry in SSB4. Therefore, I believe there will be no more Zelda reps.

If you guys will, I want to change gears to the next Mario rep. Since pretty much all here would agree that the most likely 2 reps are Bowser Jr and Waluigi, who do you see being included over the other? I see arguments for both; Waluigi is the FOURTH brother, on the FOURTH installment, filling the FOURTH void for "Smash Mario Bros" in 4 player mode. Also the 2v2 of Mario+Luigi vs Wario+Waluigi. It just seems fitting to include Waluigi in.

Bowser Jr is more important and has been a villain in a couple recent games now. He looks like he would be a unique character with that paintbrush of his as well. Is a main character unlike Waluigi, who has no games under his belt. Maybe that doesn't really matter though?

Or maybe we could get both of them? Whats everyones predictions/thoughts on this?

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Bowser Jr has a paintbrush. There aren't a lot of painters in Nintendo games, and Bowser Jr. is easily the most notable.

What can Waluigi do that no one else can do?

I feel like we're at the stage in Smash history where characters can't get in anymore just because they have fame and notoriety (look at Toad, no offense to Toad fans). They need to bring something to the table that sets them apart from their peers, and I feel that Bowser Jr. does.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Bowser Jr. can easily be unique, although it's probable he would share a FEW attacks with Bowser, he'd probably only share some shell attacks and fire breath, nothing more. He is also pretty much the secondary antagonist of the Mario series, having appeared in several games since his debut as a supporting antagonist along with his father. So I'd say Jr. is the most logical and likely choice after Toad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom