• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Rosalina Match-Up Analysis R2 - Villager

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Rosalina Match-Up Analysis R2 - Villager

Welcome to the Rosalina vs. Villager match-up analysis thread. This thread will be used to analyze Rosalina's match-up against Villager. For all the rules on the round 2 match-up discussions, please refer to the directory thread.

Last Updated: 8/23/2015
Special Moves Allowed| | :4villager::4villagerf:
Default only | :rosalina: | +1
Default + Custom | :rosalina: | +1
Default only
Erikc: ±0 - +1
Eternal Blue Syaoran: ±0 - +1
Garde Noir: +1
Lochy: +1
ParanoidDrone: +1

Default + Custom
AJL: +1

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Oh hey, a matchup I actually have offline experience with.

One thing that's super annoying against Villager is that we're so freaking tall it's really easy for him to hit us with slingshots. Constantly. Gravitational Pull works if we're in the lead but it's not really a viable long-term solution. The Villager I fight likes to throw Lloid out a lot, so if I time it right I can GP the Lloid and the followup slingshot hit will get caught in the vortex as it ends, giving me a brief moment to dash in and violate his personal space a bit. (Also, Lloid doesn't actually have a hitbox until it starts moving, so if you don't mind risking a trade you can basically disrespect the startup all you want.)

Bowling ball and flower pot count as projectiles. The bowling ball has a deceptively short amount of endlag for its power, kind of like Ganondorf's usmash.

Balloon Trip means they're basically ungimpable although they are a sitting duck in the meantime so you can try and make their life hell getting back. I suggest counterpicking to walled stages to prevent them from fleeing underneath to the opposite ledge. Once they grab the ledge, a favorite trick I really need to see coming more often is ledge drop > dj fair.

Pocket is (almost) useless in default since Star Bits do not count as a projectile and Luma is un-pocketable when launched. In customs they can catch Floaty/Shooting Star Bit for all the good that'll do. That said, Pocket's invulnerability window does give them a tool to avoid single hits like Luma Shot.

Speaking of Luma Shot, I like charging it as a landing trap but Villager can use Lloid to stall in midair for timing mixups. Be wary of that in general, such as when juggling.

I want to say the matchup is slightly in Rosalina's favor. Slingshots are the single biggest annoyance but unless you're point blank they're not dangerous per se, just really good at knocking you away a bit and undoing any progress you've made in approaching.

Lochy

Smash Ace
NNID
Lochinator
Hey guys Villager main here. I think Rosalina wins this match up but not by a landslide it seems like a +1 for Rosalina imo.
Villager's Pros against Rosalina

-His small size naturally gives him a smaller chance of being hit by attacks.

-Great recovery that Rosalina can't use GP on and is difficult to gimp in the first place.

-Even though Rosalina can use GP on Lloyd, it's laggy enough for villager to run up following the rocket and get a grab.

-Villager can shut Rosalina out and make getting Luma into his personal space difficult.

Rosalina's pros against villager

-Without customs villager can't pocket anything in the MU.

- Luma can stuff villagers projectiles and moves like fair, bair, d tilt, up tilt and the lloyd rocket.

-Rosalina can use GP on fair, bair, bowling ball and the rocket.

Overall even though I listed less pros for Rosalina I don't play her so please add more if you want me too.
Luma getting in the way of Villy's projectiles is a huge one to me which really messes with our zoning game. I think Rosalina w/o a Luma is bad for Rosalina because Luma is there to take the projectiles for her and she has a big hitbox so getting hit by projectiles is more likely to happen.
So overall i think this MU (with no customs) goes to Rosalina by +1.

Last edited:

AJL

Smash Cadet
NNID
jplacura
3DS FC
3110-5257-7666
Hi, Villager main here. I'm still newer to Smashboards but here's my opinion on the Rosalina MU.

I don't see much discussion about the MU with Customs so I'll start there.

Pushy Lloid can push Luma away from Rosalina without blowing up, so try keeping Luma away from them. Ways for dealing with them could be GP, launching Luma to blow it up, or using Star Bits.

The Trip Sapling and Counter Tree are going to be really annoying as usual. Luma is immune to tripping so if you see him planting a Trip Sapling maybe send Luma in there. Watch out if he grows the tree, though. Luma can easily trigger a Counter Tree's attack, and the long lasting hitbox from a growing tree will likely hit Luma if you do send it in while Villager is growing the tree. Maybe Luma Warp could teleport past the tree and get Villager if he camps behind it.

Although Villager doesn't have much of a use for Pocketing in this MU, he can still use it for B-Reversing for landing mixups against Rosalina's juggling. So there's that...

2/3 of Rosalina's recoveries with Customs lack hitboxes, and that could make edge guarding easier for Villager. Edge guarding Villager is rather difficult especially with the Exploding Balloons, but it's not impossible.

In general, Rosalina's height makes her an easy target for slingshots, but her disjointed hitboxes and ability to deal with projectiles does make me think Rosalina has a slight advantage over Villager, so +1 for her.

Also,
I'm still new to competitive Smash. I started a couple months after SSB3DS came out. If I completely missed/overlooked something, said anything stupid, or anything else like that, please point it out.
Thanks and happy Smashing!
-AJL

Eternal Blue Syaoran

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlueEternal
I think its pretty close or +1 for rosalina. This is going by default. Yes age can steal most of his odd attacks. But that leaves her open yo a smart player. I have had some luck popping one balloon so he couldn't recover or just meteor smashing him. But usually a good one makes to back okay. His small size and quick aerial moves make it annoying at time. Good luck to rosalina getting back if knocked far off stage. I haven't faced too many villagers but so far I win the sets. Generally they become an annoying campfest.That's my input for this. Defaults. Rosalina+1 or even.

Erikc

Smash Rookie
customs off.
in this matchup luma is really annoying for villager seeing as luma basically renders lloid useless (best move to kill rosalina is bair). villager is more ground based using his tilts because gravitational pull basically screws up villager's zoning tools, bar fair / bair because rosalina is so tall. when in a corner, villager can put a lot of pressure with fair and his tilts, so try to push rosalina (without luma) into a corner. also, since rosalina's up-b lacks a hitbox, edgeguarding is quite easy. uair is really annoying and villager should never contest. being above luma is really bad because of how strong her up air and smash are. basically, respect up air, kill luma, pressure rosa into a corner.
kind of an even matchup, slightly in rosalina's favor. 50-50 or 45-50.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
customs off.
in this matchup luma is really annoying for villager seeing as luma basically renders lloid useless (best move to kill rosalina is bair). villager is more ground based using his tilts because gravitational pull basically screws up villager's zoning tools, bar fair / bair because rosalina is so tall. when in a corner, villager can put a lot of pressure with fair and his tilts, so try to push rosalina (without luma) into a corner. also, since rosalina's up-b lacks a hitbox, edgeguarding is quite easy. uair is really annoying and villager should never contest. being above luma is really bad because of how strong her up air and smash are. basically, respect up air, kill luma, pressure rosa into a corner.
kind of an even matchup, slightly in rosalina's favor. 50-50 or 45-50.
I've actually had mixed results trying to contest villager's dair with Rosalina's uair. Luma's version, at least, seems to clank with the turnips and not hit Villager at all, and this does NOT prevent the move from hitting Rosalina at the same time. I'm reasonably certain Rosalina's halo could beat it out, but the horizontal range is basically nonexistent without Luma so Villager can just space himself a bit to the side.

Last edited:

Garde Noir

Smash Journeyman
My sparring partner is a Villager Main. Not exceptional, but he has enough experience with me to have learned as I test out many of Rosalina's tools, and how to adapt to a Rosalina over time.

From what I've found, a campy playstyle with villager has him left with few options. However, aggressive villagers can be annoying, as Villagers Aerials tend to be quick and are great follow ups for him. Villager "Pocket Dodging" can also be a quick and effective alternative to air or spot dodging, and great for punishing with faster end lag than dodging.
A villager that has decent match-up knowledge knows to wait the slingshot out until about when the Grav Pull will end. It's not a long wait, and if Villager Full-Hops and does it as a Fair cancel, it can often times hit Rosalina. Villager also has decent tilt follow ups, notably Up-Tilt, and our massive frame means we're likely to get hit.
What Villager is best at is getting rid of Luma. When facing a good Villager, keeping Luma on you is a good idea, but the damage racks up quickly. It's because of this that I think the match-up is 60-40 in Rosalina's Favor. Regardless of these tools, Rosalina still has a much more powerful aerial game, Rosalina tends to beat out most of Villager's moves. I don't quite know the frame data, but I know what he does that tends to catch me off guard, and what he has found effective against me.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Villager is being analyzed again for this week. If you have anything to contribute for the match-up, especially in regards to the newest software update, this is the place to do it.

Top Bottom