• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rollback Unranked Character usage

itsbme

Game on!
Slippi.gg
BME#828
This is based off of what was observed from 234 matches on twitch streams from 3 pro players playing unranked: n0ne, Mew2King and Plup. I took an even number of matches from each pro. A higher number would obviously be more accurate but this is a rough idea of what you can expect to run into. Note this is an example of the first time a new player was connected to. If they were rematches I didn’t count it as I was looking into uninfluenced behavior not salty picks or disrespectful counterpicks.
0DC463A8-8884-4D3E-A640-C0D33903E442.png

Last edited:

GhostM

Phantom
I'm surprised that Doc is on Top 5 for most encountered, considering that he's also mashed in between the ranks of the most commonly used characters. I always assumed that he was around the 3-6% considering that Doc hasn't had huge representation ever since Shroomed dropped him in favor for Sheik.

Eremurus

Smash Apprentice
I'm surprised that Doc is on Top 5 for most encountered, considering that he's also mashed in between the ranks of the most commonly used characters. I always assumed that he was around the 3-6% considering that Doc hasn't had huge representation ever since Shroomed dropped him in favor for Sheik.
Yeah, 5th most popular is crazy. This character is mid tier.

itsbme

Game on!
Slippi.gg
BME#828
Yeah, 5th most popular is crazy. This character is mid tier.
The only reason I can think of for the Doc usage is that his good mobility along with some kill power makes him a choice over Pikachu and the like, and he’s easy to control.

Eremurus

Smash Apprentice
The only reason I can think of for the Doc usage is that his good mobility along with some kill power makes him a choice over Pikachu and the like, and he’s easy to control.
I mean, Luigi, Yoshi, Pikachu, and Samus are all more mobile than Dr. Mario. So is Mario.

However, the part about kill power? Yeah, that is true. He does have a relatively low skill ceiling in comparison to the aforementioned characters, but most importantly- pills are great for controlling space, and he has chaingrabs that lead into death.

Last edited:

itsbme

Game on!
Slippi.gg
BME#828
I mean, Luigi, Yoshi, Pikachu, and Samus are all more mobile than Dr. Mario. So is Mario.

However, the part about kill power? Yeah, that is true. He does have a relatively low skill ceiling in comparison to the aforementioned characters, but most importantly- pills are great for controlling space, and he has chaingrabs that lead into death.
I think for most beginners, or people who are used to Fox, Doc is more inline with how the top tiers move, versus Luigi and Samus who are very different and maybe not as appealing.

Eremurus

Smash Apprentice
I think for most beginners, or people who are used to Fox, Doc is more inline with how the top tiers move, versus Luigi and Samus who are very different and maybe not as appealing.
That is a fair enough point. Mario is made for beginners, essentially, and Dr. Mario is a more lethal version of him. What's not to like?

Daladex

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
Fox#1
We all typing in colours here? Alrighty. I like these stats, definitely not surprised about Falco. I think Doc's popularity actually makes sense due to how easy he is to pick up, he's a solid character for learning fundamentals, and isn't technically demanding. From my experience, 4 frame jumpsquats are super easy and comfortable to wavedash with, for me it's actually difficult to mess up the timing. Falcon is another good character to learn fundamentals with, and also has a 4 frame jumpsquat. However, Fox till I die.

itsbme

Game on!
Slippi.gg
BME#828
I main Pichu, it's hard enough getting matches but my main not being listed and if so being seen as disrespectful...
It’s not that, it’s just any first connection they made they never ran into Pichu. I only counted first match because I wanted it to be random and not influenced so the data was consistent as possible.

Last edited:
Top Bottom