• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rolla Monthly IV SMYM practice NOT feat. Dekuschrub, feat. Darkatma, Jace, MJG

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Venue

Name: Thomas Jefferson Residence Hall, South Lounge
Address: 202 W 18th Street, Rolla, MO 65401

Parking

There are two parking lots. Whichever one you enter, after entering head in the opposite direction of the front desk. You should see some elevators on your right after going a bit; once you see them, look to your left. We're in the furthest end of the south lounge (sections B and C).
If you need help finding it ask the attendant at the front desk or call or text me at: -snip-

Events/Entry Fee details

Entry fee is $5 per person per event. Venue Fee of $5; waived if you bring a full setup. Bring your own controller.
Singles will definitely happen ($5). Teams might happen if we get enough interest. If there's a fee for doubles, it'll be $10 per team ($5 per player).
Regardless of whether or not there's an entry fee, you're free to play as many friendlies as you want even if you don't enter. Tournament sets take priority over friendlies, however, so if you're asked to get off of a setup for a tournament match, do so.

General Rules

This IS a college campus. Don't bring drugs or alcohol or things like that. If you have to smoke do it outside.
I'll think of more later.

Rulesets

[collapse=Melee Ruleset]
Singles Stage List

Starters/Neutrals
  • Dream Land: Fountain of Dreams
  • Past Stages: Dream Land
  • Special Stages: Final Destination
  • Special Stages: Battlefield
  • Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Story
Counterpick:
  • Kanto: Pokemon Stadium
Stage Bans
  • For Best of 3 sets, each player gets 1 stage ban.
  • For Best of 5 sets, there are no stage bans.

Doubles Stage List

Starters/Neutrals:
  • Kanto: Pokemon Stadium
  • Past Stages: Dream Land
  • Special Stages: Final Destination
  • Special Stages: Battlefield
  • Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Story
Counterpick:
  • Planet Zebes: Brinstar
  • Mushroom Kingdom: Rainbow Cruise
  • Past Stages: Kongo Jungle
Stage Bans
  • For Best of 3 sets, each team gets 2 stage bans.
  • For Best of 5 sets, each team gets 1 stage ban.

General Rules

• Items are set to off.
  • Stock and Time are set to 4 stock and 8 minutes respectively.
  • Regular sets are best of 3 matches. Semi-Finals and Finals sets are best of 5 matches.
  • Either player may request that Pause is set to off. This request cannot be denied.
  • Blind Picks: Either player may request that a double blind selection occur. In this situation, a 3rd party should be told, in secret, each player’s choice of character for the first round. Both players are to then select their first round character, with the 3rd party validating that the character selected is the same as their word.
  • Modified Dave's Stupid Rule: No player can counter pick a stage he or she has previously won on unless agreed upon by both players.
  • Gentleman's clause: Any stage may be played on if both players agree to it. This rule takes priority over DSR.
  • Matches that time out will be determined by the remaining number of lives, then percentage of the current stock. In the event of a percentage tie, the match should be replayed in full. Sudden Death is not to be played, and will not count.
  • Wobbling is legal. Wobbling or performing any other infinite past 250%, however, is considered stalling, and is not legal. Dispose of your opponent before then.
Additional Rules for Teams Play
  • Life Stealing is allowed
  • Set team attack to ON
  • If the game is paused accidentally while attempting to steal a life, the opposing team may deem that life forfeit. Wait until the announcer has finished saying defeated before pressing start, or turn pause off prior to beginning the match.
  • 250% infinite limit is in effect for Doubles as well. Don't be a douchebag and infinite an opponent excessively in a 2v1 situation.
How to Play a Set

1. Players select their characters. Either player may elect to Double Blind.
  2. Stage Striking: Players eliminate stages from the Starter Stage List until only 1 remains, and the players then play the first match on that stage. Players strike stages in 1 2 2 1 order. For example, striker one strikes 1 stage, striker two strikes 2 stages, then striker one strikes 1 more stage and the resulting stage that's left is played on.
  3. The players play the first match of the set.
  4. Winning player of the preceding match bans a stage/stages (if applicable).
  5. The losing player of the preceding match picks a stage for the next match.
  6. The winning player of the preceding match may choose to change characters.
  7. The losing player of the preceding match may choose to change characters.
  8. The next match is played.
  9. Repeat 4-8 for all consecutive matches as necessary until the set is complete.
[/collapse]

[collapse=Brawl Ruleset]
General Gameplay Rules
  1. 2 Stocks
  2. 8 Minute Time Limit
  3. Items set to "Off" and "None"
  4. Pause set to "Off"
  5. All infinites and chain grabs are legal.
  6. There is a 30 Ledge Grab Limit for all characters. If a game goes to time and one player goes over the Ledge Grab Limit for their character, they will automatically lose the game. If both players exceed their Ledge Grab Limit, then this rule is ignored.
  7. The act of stalling is banned: stalling is intentionally making the game unplayable: Such as becoming invisible, continuing infinites, chain grabs, or uninterruptible moves past 250%, and reaching a position that your opponent can never reach you. This is determined by the Tournament Organizer, and no one else.
  8. Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
  9. If the Ledge Grab Limit does not declare one player the winner, the winner will be declared by what the game says in all situations, except for when players are presented with sudden death:
    • In the event of a match going to time, the winner will be determined by who has less percent (stock difference still takes priority but will be shown in the results screen).
    • If the match ends with both players dying at the same time (either coincidentally or via suicide move) or if time ran out with both players at equal percent, a one stock three minute rematch will be played on the same stage. For a tie-breaker match, a Ledge Grab Limit of 15 is used.

Modified Rules for Doubles
  1. Team Attack set to "On"
  2. Life stealing is allowed.
  3. In the event of a game reaching the time limit, if a single player on a team exceeds their Ledge Grab Limit, that team loses. If one or more players on both teams exceed their Ledge Grab Limit, then the Ledge Grab Limit rule is ignored.
  4. In the event of a game going to time and the Ledge Grab Limit can not determine a winner and both teams have an equal amount of combined stocks, then whichever team has a lower combined percent is declared the winner.
  5. If a player is using the character(s) Pokemon Trainer, Lucario, or Sonic, either team may request that team colors be changed to make it easier to tell the difference between team players. This request cannot be denied.

Set Procedure
  1. Player Priority is determined if it can not be agreed on. (See below for details)
  2. Each Team selects one controller port to use for each Player.
  3. Each Team selects one character for each Player. A double blind pick may be called by any player.
  4. The first game is played on a Stage selected from the Starter Stage List either by mutual consent or through the Stage Striking Method. The order of stage striking will be 1-1 (Team 1 strikes a stage, followed by Team 2 striking a stage, and then the remaining stage is played on).
  5. The first match is played.
  6. The team that lost the previous match may opt to re-pick controller ports (with themselves picking first).
  7. The Team that won the previous match may announce one "Stage Ban" if they have not already done so in this set.
  8. The Team that lost the previous match announces the stage for the next match from either the Starter or the Counterpick Stage List. Any Stage named as a "Stage Ban" by the either Team may not be selected. No Stage may be used by a Team that has already won on that Stage in this set.
  9. The Team that won the previous match chooses one character for each Player.
  10. The Team that lost the previous match chooses one character for each Player.
  11. The next match is played.
  12. Repeat steps 6-11 for all proceeding matches.
Determining Player Priority
If there is a dispute in controller port selection or initiating Stage Strike use the following method:​
Teams will use a random method such as Rock-Paper-Scissors, Coin Flip, or Game and Watch Judgment, where the winner selects either first choice in port selection or first choice in stage striking. Whichever team does not receive first choice in port selection will be compensated with first choice in stage striking.​
Note: In Doubles, port selection is ordered 1-2-2-1 fashion (with Team-1 having first choice in controller slot select, Team-2 having both second and third choice, and the final slot going to Team-1).​

Stage List

Starters | Counterpicks
Battlefield|Delfino Plaza
Final Destination|Frigate Orpheon
Smashville| Lylat Cruise
|Pokémon Stadium 1
|Yoshi's Island: Brawl

Conduct Rules
  1. BYOC (Bring your own controller): Players are expected to bring their own controller and be prepared for every tournament set.
  2. In the event pause is left on accidentally and is pressed, immediately call over the TO. Based upon their judgment, the situation will be resolved. If your situation is neutral [players are not in combat], the match will be resumed as if the pause had not occurred. If your situation is advantageous to one individual and the player in the disadvantageous situation paused, the disadvantaged player will be either placed in a grab or onto the ledge of the stage. If a player in a death situation [Chain grabs, Grab releases, Jab-locks to a kill move, etc] paused while in a death situation, the current stock is forfeited immediately. If you unpause before the TO reaches the station, the player that unpaused losses a stock.
  3. During gameplay, any coaching parties must remain a finite distance determined by the TO away from the players in order to give players equal access to all coached information. Ear-side coaching is prohibited during games, but acceptable between games. Failure to adhere to this will lead to punishment at the TO's discretion, which could include the coach's removal from the venue or a call to replay the game that the coaching interfered with.
  4. Players who use the Wii Remote must take the batteries out of the Wii Remote when not playing. If the Wii Remote is still synced up to a Wii with the batteries in, you could unintentionally disrupt a match. If problems persist, a DQ may happen.
  5. You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility (including battery issues with a Wii Remote), so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. Both parties need to agree if a match is to be paused or restarted because of these problems.
  6. No substitutions are allowed for singles or doubles.
  7. DQ Rule: The tournament organizer can DQ a player for tardiness to a match at his discretion.
  8. The tournament organizer has the right to save/record any tournament match if possible and has the right to upload said match.
  9. Regarding textures and other game hacks:
    • Players may request that any texture, stage, or other hacks be disabled during a tournament set. If this is unable to be done, they may switch to a different setup if available.
    • Players are not allowed to use any game altering hacks, such as no-tripping or model hacks. If someone is caught setting up a system they brought with such hacks enabled can face punishment at the TO's discretion.
  10. Disrupting your opponent physically or intending to disrupt their play (through something such as screaming in a player's ear) will result in a warning. Repeated action will result in disqualification from the tournament and possibly ejection from the venue. Observers who physically disrupt players are to be dealt with as the Tournament Organizer sees fit. Disqualification is recommended if possible, and ejection from the venue is also a punishment.

•These rules are subject to change leading up to the event date. The Tournament Organizer reserves the right to remove you from the venue at his discretion for any reason.

•The Tournament Organizer and his assistents, and any persons helping run the event may not be held liable for any lost, stolen, or damaged goods during this event. Nor will the Tournament Organizer, the venue, its owners, affiliates, employees, members, sponsors, or volunteers be held liable or responsible for any injury or harm that may befall a person during the course of this event. By entering the venue during the posted date you are displaying your agreement with this policy.[/collapse]

[collapse=64 Ruleset]
Workin on it, just wanted to get the thread up[/collapse]

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
In the last thread some people expressed interest in a 64 tourney. 64 can happen if there's enough interest and someone brings a setup or two; I don't have one.

I posted this in the results thread of the last one but I'll post it here: There was a light brown American Eagle coat left at the venue last Saturday. If it's yours, let me know.

Setup count:

Brandon: 1 or 2 Melee
Karl: 1 Melee
Me: 1 Melee or Brawl
Josh: 1 Melee
Jon: 1 Meee
Saffy: 1 Brawl
St. Louis: ?

Cookiemonsta

Smash Ace
Hmmm. If I lose, I'll claim Rolla. If I win, I'll claim St. Louis... yea

OAN: Atma, could you see if Lt. Dan and especially Trey can come down. I think Trey would beast in 64 smash.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
FD is a bad starter for a 3-neutral system in Brawl, imo. Half the cast is going to Ban FD every time because half the cast has a 100%+ CG on half the characters in brawl. Let alone the lamefest that is camping on FD. And that Ledge.

Minor exagerations aside, I'll see if I can get some interest for Omaha, especially if some of you guys plan on coming to our thing a week afterwards.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
Me and Michael both have a set up so if somebody can cover 2 TV's, we'll be set. I know me and Leviathan will definently enter, as well as Teh Future and probably Jace as well. That's already 4 people. Who else wants to give me money enter 64?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
MegaRobMan: The Brawl stagelist isn't an attempt to balance the characters; the 3 starters are the stages that have the least inconsistent impact on the game. If in a lot of match-ups many characters are almost forced to strike FD and then the opponent gets a free pick out of the other two, that's not my problem, that's theirs.

We probably can't go to yours on the 25th; there's a tournament in Springfield that weekend and it's a lot closer for us which we'll probably go to if we aren't trying to save money for SMYM. I'd be cool if NE showed up to my tourney; it's been a while since I've seen JBM, Tyser, etc.

_Yes!_

Smash Hero
If you don't like getting chaingrabbed, use a light/floaty character.

Probably can't go. Sorry strong****.

Cookiemonsta

Smash Ace
Who is gonna beast in 64 smash?
Lol you heard me. Trey learned some broken "I will break your shield every time you shield" technique with Ness. I think if nothing else, he'd provide some good competition (IF he shows up).

OAN: Everyone should study reeeaaall hard like good students so you can afford to come up! So Unless you come down with the clap or something, I don't wanna here any excuse's... unless you gotta work or somthin...

darkatma

Smash Hero
I'd enter 64 just for fun if you guys have it.. maybe
I'm kinda used to playing 64 on the wii setup though, but not like it matters because I'm bad at the game.

Anyways, please train up as much as possible before the tournament guys, and I'll let everyone know all my bad habits at the event too, because I feel like trying my best and if you can exploit my habits, more power to you, and that'll make me a better player too.

Jace if you end up going, I request a setup and some 1 on 1 time... for at least a few hours lol

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
Don't teach him too much, atma, in fact try and set him back a few years :p

@SB, I actually like your argument there. I guess I've read too much into the argument for what "neutral" truly means, as a lot of brawl players view it as "what is the most competitive" and a stage that completely nullifies a lot of characters is NOT more competitive than LC imo (might be even with YI), but if what you are going for is static, consistency for "neutral" then I can respect that.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
come to my tourney and show everyone
i bet u $3 u can't
u better come

-Sinister-

Smash Ace
i'm probably not gonna be at any tournaments for awhile. i'm not taking off work just to suck it up at yet another tournament. besides i need all the hours/cash i can get. once i get enough for a car and apartment, i'll be there.

probably rolla monthly XII

come to my tourney and show everyone
i bet u $3 u can't
u better come
oh man now i have to come. how can i resist $3? and i care so much about whether people think i can/can't do something in a crap game. or any game for that matter.

darkatma

Smash Hero
Don't teach him too much, atma, in fact try and set him back a few years :p

@SB, I actually like your argument there. I guess I've read too much into the argument for what "neutral" truly means, as a lot of brawl players view it as "what is the most competitive" and a stage that completely nullifies a lot of characters is NOT more competitive than LC imo (might be even with YI), but if what you are going for is static, consistency for "neutral" then I can respect that.
pretty sure jace will be teaching me, and not vise versa lol
I need a lot of practice and theorycrafting in the falcon matchup

Zantetsu

Smash Master
Crawlshots, why don't you talk with Jace? He's from Kansas City too, y'know. You may be able to ride with him or whoever he's riding with.

crawlshots

Smash Apprentice
yeah dude you should ride with me and mjg
Thanks man. I'll have to see. I might have a job by the time this tourney happens so I'll let you know if I can/want to come along.

This is worth a try: Strongbad, could I get a couple bucks waived if I bring a GC setup minus the TV?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
can't do that. you could see if someone else can bring a TV then you split it $2.50 each.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Everyone that can go to this should go. I need practice for SMYM

Top Bottom