• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rolla Monthly III ft. WRETCHED

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Sorry it took so long to get the tourney thread up; the reservation policy changed over break and it was a long process to get the venue this time around.

Venue

Name: Thomas Jefferson Residence Hall, South Lounge
Address: 202 W 18th Street, Rolla, MO 65401

Parking

There are two parking lots. Whichever one you enter, after entering head in the opposite direction of the front desk. You should see some elevators on your right after going a bit; once you see them, look to your left. We're in the furthest end of the south lounge (sections B and C).
If you need help finding it ask the attendant at the front desk or call or text me at: -snip-

Events/Entry Fee details

Entry fee is $5 per person per event. Venue Fee of $5; waived if you bring a full setup. Bring your own controller.
Singles will definitely happen ($5). Teams might happen if we get enough interest. If there's a fee for doubles, it'll be $10 per team ($5 per player).
Regardless of whether or not there's an entry fee, you're free to play as many friendlies as you want even if you don't enter. Tournament sets take priority over friendlies, however, so if you're asked to get off of a setup for a tournament match, do so.

General Rules

This IS a college campus. Don't bring drugs or alcohol or things like that. If you have to smoke do it outside.
I'll think of more later.

Rulesets

[collapse=Melee Ruleset]
Singles Stage List

Starters/Neutrals
  • Dream Land: Fountain of Dreams
  • Past Stages: Dream Land
  • Special Stages: Final Destination
  • Special Stages: Battlefield
  • Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Story
Counterpick:
  • Kanto: Pokemon Stadium
Stage Bans
  • For Best of 3 sets, each player gets 1 stage ban.
  • For Best of 5 sets, there are no stage bans.

Doubles Stage List

Starters/Neutrals:
  • Kanto: Pokemon Stadium
  • Past Stages: Dream Land
  • Special Stages: Final Destination
  • Special Stages: Battlefield
  • Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Story
Counterpick:
  • Planet Zebes: Brinstar
  • Mushroom Kingdom: Rainbow Cruise
  • Past Stages: Kongo Jungle
  • DK Island: Jungle Japes
Stage Bans
  • For Best of 3 sets, each team gets 2 stage bans.
  • For Best of 5 sets, each team gets 1 stage ban.

General Rules

• Items are set to off.
  • Stock and Time are set to 4 stock and 8 minutes respectively.
  • Regular sets are best of 3 matches. Semi-Finals and Finals sets are best of 5 matches.
  • Either player may request that Pause is set to off. This request cannot be denied.
  • Blind Picks: Either player may request that a double blind selection occur. In this situation, a 3rd party should be told, in secret, each player’s choice of character for the first round. Both players are to then select their first round character, with the 3rd party validating that the character selected is the same as their word.
  • Modified Dave's Stupid Rule: No player can counter pick a stage he or she has previously won on unless agreed upon by both players.
  • Gentleman's clause: Any stage may be played on if both players agree to it. This rule takes priority over DSR.
  • Matches that time out will be determined by the remaining number of lives, then percentage of the current stock. In the event of a percentage tie, the match should be replayed in full. Sudden Death is not to be played, and will not count.
  • Wobbling is legal. Wobbling or performing any other infinite past 250%, however, is considered stalling, and is not legal. Dispose of your opponent before then.
Additional Rules for Teams Play
  • Life Stealing is allowed
  • Set team attack to ON
  • If the game is paused accidentally while attempting to steal a life, the opposing team may deem that life forfeit. Wait until the announcer has finished saying defeated before pressing start, or turn pause off prior to beginning the match.
  • 250% infinite limit is in effect for Doubles as well. Don't be a douchebag and infinite an opponent excessively in a 2v1 situation.
How to Play a Set

1. Players select their characters. Either player may elect to Double Blind.
  2. Stage Striking: Players eliminate stages from the Starter Stage List until only 1 remains, and the players then play the first match on that stage. Players strike stages in 1 2 2 1 order. For example, striker one strikes 1 stage, striker two strikes 2 stages, then striker one strikes 1 more stage and the resulting stage that's left is played on.
  3. The players play the first match of the set.
  4. Winning player of the preceding match bans a stage/stages (if applicable).
  5. The losing player of the preceding match picks a stage for the next match.
  6. The winning player of the preceding match may choose to change characters.
  7. The losing player of the preceding match may choose to change characters.
  8. The next match is played.
  9. Repeat 4-8 for all consecutive matches as necessary until the set is complete.
[/collapse]

[collapse=Brawl Ruleset]
General Gameplay Rules
  1. 2 Stocks
  2. 6 Minute Time Limit
  3. Items set to "Off" and "None"
  4. Pause set to "Off"
  5. All infinites and chain grabs are legal.
  6. There is a 40 Ledge Grab Limit for all characters. If a game goes to time and one player goes over the Ledge Grab Limit for their character, they will automatically lose the game. If both players exceed their Ledge Grab Limit, then this rule is ignored.
  7. The act of stalling is banned: stalling is intentionally making the game unplayable: Such as becoming invisible, continuing infinites, chain grabs, or uninterruptible moves past 250%, and reaching a position that your opponent can never reach you. This is determined by the Tournament Organizer, and no one else.
  8. Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
  9. If the Ledge Grab Limit does not declare one player the winner, the winner will be declared by what the game says in all situations, except for when players are presented with sudden death:
    • In the event of a match going to time, the winner will be determined by who has less percent (stock difference still takes priority but will be shown in the results screen).
    • If the match ends with both players dying at the same time (either coincidentally or via suicide move) or if time ran out with both players at equal percent, a one stock three minute rematch will be played on the same stage. For a tie-breaker match, a Ledge Grab Limit of 15 is used.

Modified Rules for Doubles
  1. Team Attack set to "On"
  2. Life stealing is allowed.
  3. In the event of a game reaching the time limit, if a single player on a team exceeds their Ledge Grab Limit, that team loses. If one or more players on both teams exceed their Ledge Grab Limit, then the Ledge Grab Limit rule is ignored.
  4. In the event of a game going to time and the Ledge Grab Limit can not determine a winner and both teams have an equal amount of combined stocks, then whichever team has a lower combined percent is declared the winner.
  5. If a player is using the character(s) Pokemon Trainer, Lucario, or Sonic, either team may request that team colors be changed to make it easier to tell the difference between team players. This request cannot be denied.

Set Procedure
  1. Player Priority is determined if it can not be agreed on. (See below for details)
  2. Each Team selects one controller port to use for each Player.
  3. Each Team selects one character for each Player. A double blind pick may be called by any player.
  4. The first game is played on a Stage selected from the Starter Stage List either by mutual consent or through the Stage Striking Method. The order of stage striking will be 1-1 (Team 1 strikes a stage, followed by Team 2 striking a stage, and then the remaining stage is played on).
  5. The first match is played.
  6. The team that lost the previous match may opt to re-pick controller ports (with themselves picking first).
  7. The Team that won the previous match may announce one "Stage Ban" if they have not already done so in this set.
  8. The Team that lost the previous match announces the stage for the next match from either the Starter or the Counterpick Stage List. Any Stage named as a "Stage Ban" by the either Team may not be selected. No Stage may be used by a Team that has already won on that Stage in this set.
  9. The Team that won the previous match chooses one character for each Player.
  10. The Team that lost the previous match chooses one character for each Player.
  11. The next match is played.
  12. Repeat steps 6-11 for all proceeding matches.
Determining Player Priority
If there is a dispute in controller port selection or initiating Stage Strike use the following method:​
Teams will use a random method such as Rock-Paper-Scissors, Coin Flip, or Game and Watch Judgment, where the winner selects either first choice in port selection or first choice in stage striking. Whichever team does not receive first choice in port selection will be compensated with first choice in stage striking.​
Note: In Doubles, port selection is ordered 1-2-2-1 fashion (with Team-1 having first choice in controller slot select, Team-2 having both second and third choice, and the final slot going to Team-1).​

Stage List

Starters | Counterpicks
Battlefield|Delfino Plaza
Final Destination|Frigate Orpheon
Smashville| Lylat Cruise
|Pokémon Stadium 1
|Yoshi's Island: Brawl

Conduct Rules
  1. BYOC (Bring your own controller): Players are expected to bring their own controller and be prepared for every tournament set.
  2. In the event pause is left on accidentally and is pressed, immediately call over the TO. Based upon their judgment, the situation will be resolved. If your situation is neutral [players are not in combat], the match will be resumed as if the pause had not occurred. If your situation is advantageous to one individual and the player in the disadvantageous situation paused, the disadvantaged player will be either placed in a grab or onto the ledge of the stage. If a player in a death situation [Chain grabs, Grab releases, Jab-locks to a kill move, etc] paused while in a death situation, the current stock is forfeited immediately. If you unpause before the TO reaches the station, the player that unpaused losses a stock.
  3. During gameplay, any coaching parties must remain a finite distance determined by the TO away from the players in order to give players equal access to all coached information. Ear-side coaching is prohibited during games, but acceptable between games. Failure to adhere to this will lead to punishment at the TO's discretion, which could include the coach's removal from the venue or a call to replay the game that the coaching interfered with.
  4. Players who use the Wii Remote must take the batteries out of the Wii Remote when not playing. If the Wii Remote is still synced up to a Wii with the batteries in, you could unintentionally disrupt a match. If problems persist, a DQ may happen.
  5. You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility (including battery issues with a Wii Remote), so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. Both parties need to agree if a match is to be paused or restarted because of these problems.
  6. No substitutions are allowed for singles or doubles.
  7. DQ Rule: The tournament organizer can DQ a player for tardiness to a match at his discretion.
  8. The tournament organizer has the right to save/record any tournament match if possible and has the right to upload said match.
  9. Regarding textures and other game hacks:
    • Players may request that any texture, stage, or other hacks be disabled during a tournament set. If this is unable to be done, they may switch to a different setup if available.
    • Players are not allowed to use any game altering hacks, such as no-tripping or model hacks. If someone is caught setting up a system they brought with such hacks enabled can face punishment at the TO's discretion.
  10. Disrupting your opponent physically or intending to disrupt their play (through something such as screaming in a player's ear) will result in a warning. Repeated action will result in disqualification from the tournament and possibly ejection from the venue. Observers who physically disrupt players are to be dealt with as the Tournament Organizer sees fit. Disqualification is recommended if possible, and ejection from the venue is also a punishment.

•These rules are subject to change leading up to the event date. The Tournament Organizer reserves the right to remove you from the venue at his discretion for any reason.

•The Tournament Organizer and his assistents, and any persons helping run the event may not be held liable for any lost, stolen, or damaged goods during this event. Nor will the Tournament Organizer, the venue, its owners, affiliates, employees, members, sponsors, or volunteers be held liable or responsible for any injury or harm that may befall a person during the course of this event. By entering the venue during the posted date you are displaying your agreement with this policy.[/collapse]

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
i can't change the date; its the 28th. sorry =(
i'm probably going to try to do february's on the 11th so then I can do march's that first week for SMYM practice. does the 11th work for you guys?

Jace08

Smash Lord
nice springfield crew is too good

CoMo where you at? please don't make us drive through your town again thinking about how you aren't coming, it was a terrible experience

Cookiemonsta

Smash Ace
Hmm. I guess I might be able to make the four minute walk to the tourney. Who wants to team with me? Cause I'm sure StrongGag is gonna team with Juice.

Also Adam, The next tourney being on the 11th of Feb. seems too close (2 weeks away) from this one imo.

-Sinister-

Smash Ace
nice springfield crew is too good

CoMo where you at? please don't make us drive through your town again thinking about how you aren't coming, it was a terrible experience
can't speak on behalf of everyone but i'm going to anyway. we probably won't be there.

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
I'll be going to this if Springfield has a car going there.

Jace08

Smash Lord
can't speak on behalf of everyone but i'm going to anyway. we probably won't be there.
Really? It's only like an hour and forty minutes away... in fact if no one else goes from kc we could pick up 2 and maybe 3 of you guys, since we're driving right through your town. What's stopping you all?

-Sinister-

Smash Ace
Really? It's only like an hour and forty minutes away... in fact if no one else goes from kc we could pick up 2 and maybe 3 of you guys, since we're driving right through your town. What's stopping you all?
well, you see jace, it has nothing to do with how far or close it is. for one thing i have to work saturday morning and then again at 11:45 the same day, so i can't go even if i wanted to. which brings me to the other reason. i don't want to. i'm always playing like **** lately, and refuse to go to a tournament til i'm playing good. as for everyone else, nav never goes to anything, and jared said he wasn't going. that's all i got. sorry.

Leviathan741

Smash Ace
I'd go if everyone went, but it doesnt help that no one goes lol.

Edit: Also out of the 5 potential travelers, Sam 1 is basically done with Smash as he said he has reached his limit, and is tired of the game. Sam 2 says he plays bad as he continually ***** everyone all day cept for my pickajew. Jared just is Jared. Daniel and I both would go if most of us went, but yea.

>Bert<

Smash Ace
I'd go if everyone went, but it doesnt help that no one goes lol.

Edit: Also out of the 5 potential travelers, Sam 1 is basically done with Smash as he said he has reached his limit, and is tired of the game. Sam 2 says he plays bad as he continually ***** everyone all day cept for my pickajew. Jared just is Jared. Daniel and I both would go if most of us went, but yea.
KC is offering to bring you guys. Like Nike says, just do it. Lol you always talk about how much you enjoy playing Jace and here is a golden opportunity. Most Darkrain-like Falcon in my honest opinion.

Saffy

Smash Ace
ADAMMMMMMMM~
I might donate some prizes to the tournament.

Like Giant Pokemon Pillows~
I got a jigglypuff , Pikachu and Marill one.
These are worth around $25 each.
Oh and don't feel bad I can't take these with me when I move. I really need to get rid of them.

Interest?

Also this will not go to the winner. It will be picked by random to anyone who entered in any event. So if you entered 4 events (Both brawl and melee events (singles/doubles) ) you have a 4 X more chance of winning one.
I would do a random event for it but don't have time for that.

This is to promote and encourage people to play both games as well to make more entries and larger brackets for both tournaments.

SOUNDS HYPE RIGHT? I will 100% do it if no one is going to complain about me donating again.

Jace08

Smash Lord
hmm work johns are pretty legit, it's cool sinister. Would have loved to play you again tho

Leviathan that's great to hear that you're interested dude, we definitely do need to ditto again! There's a real chance me and mjg could pick you and Daniel up np. You guys gotta go!

Most Darkrain-like Falcon in my honest opinion.
well thanks dude. But yeah I know just as well as anyone that he's still miles and miles ahead of me, especially when under tourney pressure. My work's still cut out for me

lol nice pokemon pillows, good stuff saffy

Leviathan741

Smash Ace
hmm work johns are pretty legit, it's cool sinister. Would have loved to play you again tho

Leviathan that's great to hear that you're interested dude, we definitely do need to ditto again! There's a real chance me and mjg could pick you and Daniel up np. You guys gotta go!

well thanks dude. But yeah I know just as well as anyone that he's still miles and miles ahead of me, especially when under tourney pressure. My work's still cut out for me

lol nice pokemon pillows, good stuff saffy
Cool, well let me know so I can let you know.

Jace08

Smash Lord
^yeah is there a chance at least some dudes from st. louis will show this weekend? That would own. I would've waited to go to the monthly in feb. but mjg's gonna be in canada and stuff

Hey jace, the next time we play I have to play you for a few hours :p
I want to try some tope tactics and see how they work.
you got it dude. oh maaaaan tope tactics will crush my soul

Cookiemonsta

Smash Ace
Jace I wanna Captain Falcon ditto money match. I win, I get 5 bucks. If you win, I'll buy you any large one topping pizza from Papa Johns. Thats worth more than 5 bucks right :)

Zantetsu

Smash Master
Karl, do you still not have a teammate? Ziv isn't coming and I don't feel like entering any events that I can't place in, but I feel that if we teamed, we could at least get 3rd, if not 2nd or 1st. Space Animal teams = best teams.

Also, I see that the tournament claims it will start at 12, but I would like to just confirm that. 12 is a great time and I would prefer it over an earlier time, since that means Springfield doesn't have to leave until 10, which grants me sleepy time, which makes me play better (I think?).

ZGE

Smash Apprentice
How long do these typically last, is anybody doing Brawl, and how many do you think you're expecting?

:phone:

Zantetsu

Smash Master
They last until around 9-12, depending on how fast we move. Brawl will be there, along with some pretty good players, I think.

Saffy

Smash Ace
How long do these typically last, is anybody doing Brawl, and how many do you think you're expecting?

EDIT: I'm going to bring my camera and take videos/pictures from the tournament. Hope you guys don't mind :).

These last usually till 8 pm -12 Am. Brawl is done earlier because there isn't as big of bracket as there is for Melee.
There will be brawl but not sure about how many people will attend. I will be there for brawl, and MJG and YES! Might . I am sure a few others will join brawl... so hopefully there is a 12 man bracket maybe. Melee should have alot more maybe 20+...

Like I said I am giving out prizes , and if Melee people enter brawl they have a better chance to get the pokemon pillows which cost me $25-30 Each. IMO I would join both events for them. It's just to have fun anyways. n.n

Zantetsu

Smash Master
So, if Brawl is being done first, does that mean they're being done separately? If so, then what time would Melee start? Later the better (but not too much later, of course).

ZGE

Smash Apprentice
Ooh, if that's the case then I am strongly considering coming. I'm not as good at Melee but I think I might have shot at Brawl? Just depends on who can beat YES! :D Also if I do come, Brawl teams anybody?

Top Bottom