• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rogue's Landing - Vyse (Skies of Arcadia) Support Thread

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Welcome to the official support thread for Vyse from Skies of Arcadia!

"Impossible is just a word to let people feel good about themselves when they quit."

What is Skies of Arcadia?
arcadia_DreamcastBrasil.jpeg
Skies of Arcadia is a turn-based JRPG released in 2000 for the Dreamcast by Overworks and Sega.

Set in a world where pirates sail the clouds rather than the seas, the game's main form of gameplay is dungeons, which you traverse to progress in the story. The game (obviously) also employs other standard conventions of JRPG gameplay such as turn-based combat and overworld exploration, with one thing that sets it apart: Ship battles that you can engage in while travelling in the overworld.

The game follows the story of Vyse and Aika, two young and eager pirates flying under the flag of the benevolent Blue Rogues, virtuous bandits who only target the bloated and corrupt Valuan Empire. Rounding out the main trio is a mysterious girl called Fina, who was captured by Imperial troops while on a quest to recover the six Moon Crystals that have been scattered throughout the floating islands forming Arcadia. Of course, the Valuan Empire are also after the gems for their own purposes: they act as ignition keys to six ancient, almighty colossi that hold enough firepower to easily take over the world. As they're later accompanied by callous but good-hearted fisherman Drachma, womanizing gunslinger Gilder and Enrique, a Valuan prince who disagrees with their methods, what starts as a simple rescue mission becomes a struggle for survival amid a looming world war. The game later recieved an updated rerelease on the GameCube and a somewhat obscure manga adaptation. The game has since maintained a cult following amongst fans of Sega and JRPGs.

"Who is Vyse?"
Vyse.jpg
Vyse is the main protagonist of Skies of Arcadia. A young, optimistic air pirate with a strong sense of justice, Vyse is the son of the Blue Rogues' captain Dyne. He dreams of embarking on an adventure and seeing "what's beyond the sunset". In battle, Vyse uses two pirate cutlasses. Right off the bat, we see one big way of making him stand out, because dual wielders are still a very uncommon archetype in Smash (our only current example being the Pits).

There's also magic. He's got all the usual things: fire, water, electricity, air, etc...., not much else to mention here.

Oh, and for his final smash? My personal choice would be Vyse's first special move in the game, Cutlass Fury.

But here's a question: what has Vyse been up to since then? Well, not much admittedly. After the Gamecube port, Skies of Arcadia was just thrown into Sega's ball pit of dead franchises. Still, it's been referenced here and there. Namely, the main trio made a surprise appearance as playable units in Valkyria Chronicles. After that, Vyse also appeared in Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed, which I still maintain to this day as a shining example of Sumo Digital being chads.

Well, what are Vyse's chances for Smash? Honestly, near-zero. He is the absolute pipedreamiest pipedream to have ever pipedreamed. He has nothing going for him aside from Sega already being involved in Smash, and even so, there's like 30 other options for a new Sega rep. But I want him in anyways, and I hope at the very least that I can get other people to support him as well. So come on down and support Vyse for Smash!
EgNuGJIU8AAK3DN.jpeg

BLUE ROGUES (Supporter List):
Speed Weed
JDCabrera
ninjahmos
NOSTARSICK
Clumsyzephyr

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Oh yes, count me as a supporter.

Skies Of Arcadia had one of the best tracks in All Stars Racing Transformed.

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
Count me in! We could use another SEGA rep. Although, Beat from Jet Set Radio would be my choice for a second SEGA rep, but Vyse would be nice too.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Oh yes, count me as a supporter.

Skies Of Arcadia had one of the best tracks in All Stars Racing Transformed.
honestly

can i make a confession

as much of a skies of arcadia fan as i am

that one actually isn't my favorite track in transformed

Clumsyzephyr

Smash Journeyman
I've been playing through legends for the first time and I'm absolutely loving it. Vyse would be a really cool choice even if it's not super likely, and I think he'd be pretty unique too. Count me as a supporter!

Top Bottom