• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Rocketbarrel Counter" Tech (Megaman MU counterplay)

MarshieMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MarshieMan
Ill start off by posting this video from TBH6, ZeRo vs. Abadango

As of late, the Megaman MU has been considered one of Diddy's most difficult matchups to overcome. This is largely due to Megaman's ability to wall out Diddy in the neutral and shut down the banana. Megaman's primary tool for this is his pellets, which clank with banana and zone Diddy out hard. The main way to deal with this has been using MFK to cut through the pellets and push Megaman off stage, however this is not a very safe option and can easily be punished by an opponent who is looking out for it.

As shown by the video, there is another way to deal with the pellets. Intercepting the pellets with a Rocketbarrel will cause Diddy to safely drop without taking much damage, while quickly launching the jetpack towards your opponent, safely shutting down the pellet wall without having to commit to an MFK approach. Even if Diddy does not hit any Pellets, it can still catch opponents off guard and Diddy can crash into them for huge damage.

I would not rely on this too hard, but rather switch up between using MFK and Rocketbarrel to catch your opponent off guard.

Thoughts? Applications? Discuss!
personally, I'm curious if this tech could be used in the Rosalina MU as well to counter Luma's Jab.

Edit: One thing I noticed is that ZeRo does not attempt this trick at high %, because at that point it is too risky and if it fails he could die to a punish.

Last edited:

mattper12

Smash Rookie
Ill start off by posting this video from TBH6, ZeRo vs. Abadango

As of late, the Megaman MU has been considered one of Diddy's most difficult matchups to overcome. This is largely due to Megaman's ability to wall out Diddy in the neutral and shut down the banana. Megaman's primary tool for this is his pellets, which clank with banana and zone Diddy out hard. The main way to deal with this has been using MFK to cut through the pellets and push Megaman off stage, however this is not a very safe option and can easily be punished by an opponent who is looking out for it.

As shown by the video, there is another way to deal with the pellets. Intercepting the pellets with a Rocketbarrel will cause Diddy to safely drop without taking much damage, while quickly launching the jetpack towards your opponent, safely shutting down the pellet wall without having to commit to an MFK approach. Even if Diddy does not hit any Pellets, it can still catch opponents off guard and Diddy can crash into them for huge damage.

I would not rely on this too hard, but rather switch up between using MFK and Rocketbarrel to catch your opponent off guard.

Thoughts? Applications? Discuss!
personally, I'm curious if this tech could be used in the Rosalina MU as well to counter Luma's Jab.

Edit: One thing I noticed is that ZeRo does not attempt this trick at high %, because at that point it is too risky and if it fails he could die to a punish.

Spatman

Smash Ace
I thought about this possibility way earlier than seeing ZeRo doing it in this match, but no good MegaMen in my scene to try it in a serious game. However it could run also against other kind of bullets

Megamang

Smash Lord
As a mega main... this is super, super annoying. It also may cause serious tilting, since it hits 'randomly', a few hits in a row is really demoralizing.

Also, it does a stupid amount of damage.

Top Bottom