• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rocket Lawnchair! Metal Slug for Smash Bros.!

merchantofsalt

Smash Apprentice

Note: As of September 5, Terry Bogard from Fatal Fury has been confirmed for Smash Bros. DLC. This does not deconfirm Metal Slug, but does affect their chances.

Metal Slug is a legacy video game franchise that has appeared numerous times on Nintendo systems. The series hasn't seen a new game in years, but it remains popular among a now-adult generation of gamers, and the Steam releases of the original titles have proven massively successful. Parent company SNK doesn't have representation in Smash Bros. despite having a good working relationship with Nintendo (which includes developing games for the Switch); if they were contacted for Smash Bros., I think either Metal Slug or The King of Fighters would be chosen for representation.

On the other hand, Metal Slug is currently not a very relevant franchise, even if SNK has expressed interest in developing a new entry in the series. Furthermore, the series has (pixelated) blood and gore, and the characters wield military weaponry. While it's wildly exaggerated, it could still prove too realistic for Smash Bros.

As for which Metal Slug character would be introduced as playable, it only makes sense for it to be series protagonist Marco Rossi.

Character Name: Marco
Series Icon: Stylized Metal Slug tank in profile

Physical Properties:
Marco is a short guy who stands with his knees bent, making him about Mario's size. He's fast on the ground and has high, somewhat floaty jumps. He's among the game's lightest characters, on par with Mr. Game & Watch. Marco's crouching animation has him lying prone on the ground; like Snake, he can crawl. Marco's idle animation is the same as the sprite shown above; however, he holds a handgun instead of the shotgun pictured.

Character Outline:
Marco is a projectile-based zoning character with powerful special attacks. Some of his neutral attacks also function as projectiles, and he can keep the pressure on enemies easily. However, his projectile-based special moves have limited ammo, which needs to be replenished at random by using a different, time-consuming special move. He's also easy to launch. Marco has to be played as an offensive zoner looking to KO foes before he completely runs out of options, especially since the effectiveness of his recovery also depends on ammo.

Special Mechanic:
Marco's Neutral, Up, and Side-Special moves consume ammo, of which he has a limited amount as displayed by a counter on his stock icon. This ammo can be replenished by using Down-Special. To compensate, Marco's special moves are powerful and come out fast.

Alternates:
-- Alternate colors based on Tarma
-- Alternate colors based on Clark
-- Alternate colors based on Ralf
-- Alternate colors based on Trevor
-- An alternate skin based on his zombie form!

Entrance:
Marco drops onto the stage on a parachute. Upon landing, he takes out his handgun and assumes his idle stance.

Neutral Attacks:
-- Jab: Fires his handgun straight forward. Like Mega Man's pea shooter, it's a short-range projectile that mildly flinches opponents. Can be fired indefinitely.
-- Dash: He doesn't really have a dash attack, because he can also fire his handgun while running. The shots have the same properties but slightly shorter range than the jab.
-- Get-up: Swings his combat knife horizontally to his left and right in quick arcs.
-- Ledge Recovery: Jumps onto the stage and swings his combat knife horizontally in a low arc.

Tilt Attacks:
-- Up-Tilt: Fires three quick shots from handgun diagonally upward. Good for juggling.
-- Forward-Tilt: Swings combat knife vertically in front of him. Decent range and comes out fairly quickly.
-- Down-Tilt: Fires handgun straight forward while crouching. Same properties as usual, and can also be fired indefinitely. Marco cannot fire while crawling.

Smash Attacks:
-- Up-Smash: Marco crouches, and a boxing glove on a spring shoots upward, out of his backpack. Good range and damage.
-- Forward-Smash: Marco swings the Zantetsu Blade vertically in front of him, which shoots out a short-range vertical energy wave. The sword is much stronger than the wave.
-- Down-Smash: While the attack is charged, Marco suddenly becomes fat. When released, he hops up and immediately drops on his butt, causing a small shockwave. High damage.

Aerial Attacks:
-- Neutral-Air: Marco shoots his handgun in front of him. Has the same properties as on the ground, and can also be fired indefinitely.
-- Up-Air: Fires directly upward with his handgun. You know how it goes.
-- Forward-Air: Pokes forward with a trident. Decent range and good damage.
-- Back-Air: The spring-loaded boxing glove in his backpack shoots out behind him. Marco looks back, surprised by this malfunction.
-- Down-Air: As with his down-smash, Marco suddenly becomes fat and drops straight down, but this time holding a large fork to skewer targets with. Good damage.

Grabbing & Throwing:
-- Grab: Grabs the enemy by the collar.
-- Pummel: Slashes with combat knife.
-- Up-Throw: Tosses upward, then strikes with spring-loaded boxing glove.
-- Forward-Throw: Performs a series of lightning-fast punches before sending the enemy flying. Reference to Ralf's Vulcan Punch.
-- Back-Throw: Performs a suplex, bouncing the foe off the floor before sending them flying. Reference to Clark's Argentine Back-breaker.
-- Down-Throw: Places the enemy on the floor and performs an elbow drop, bouncing them off and sending them flying.

Special Moves:

Neutral-Special -- Grenade: Marco throws a grenade, which travels in a short arc in front of him, and bounces off the ground once. It explodes upon contact with anyone. These come out fast, and deal good damage and knockback. After running out of grenades, this attack becomes a series of quick combat knife swings that can juggle opponents.

Up-Special -- Shotgun: Marco fires a shotgun directly downwards, which expels a wide cloud of buckshot and sends him flying upwards in an arc. The attack itself deals high damage and knockback, but has a slight wind-up. After running out of ammo, this move turns into a very short air-jump that makes for lackluster recovery.

Side-Special -- Rocket Launcher: Marco fires a rocket launcher that travels somewhat slowly but has mild homing properties, similar to Samus's Missile. Explodes upon contact, creating a large dust cloud, and dealing high damage and knockback. After running out of ammo, this attack turns into a roundhouse kick.

Down-Special -- P.O.W: A rescued prisoner of war appears right behind Marco, and whips out a weapon icon from his pants while grinning. Picking up this icon restores Marco's grenades, shotgun ammo, or rockets, depending on the icon. The P.O.W. then salutes and disappears. If the P.O.W. is attacked before performing his animation, the weapon icon won't drop. Sometimes a special P.O.W. will appear, who will stick around after performing his duty and fire energy blasts periodically. This P.O.W. can be dismissed by inputting Down-Special again.

Final Smash: Super Vehicle-001 Metal Slug

Marco hops into a Metal Slug and fires blue lasers which shoot out in all directions as well as bombs that bounce along the ground. After a few seconds the tank begins flashing and Marco jumps out; the Metal Slug then rolls forward quickly before exploding in a lethal, fiery blast.

---

Other Ideas:

-- This seems even more unlikely, but if they were to bring in an Echo Fighter, Fio is a perfect choice and a fan-favorite. She could use a hatchet instead of Marco's combat knife, toss fire grenades instead of regular ones, and her missiles could be stronger but bereft of homing properties.
-- The stage could be based on Metal Slug's iconic stage 1, a beach with ruins and plane wreckage in the background. Enemy soldiers could appear from the edges of the screen in droves, and breaking parts of the scenery could liberate P.O.W's who drop items. Allen O'Neil, a recurring series villain wielding a minigun, could be the stage boss.
-- A fitting Assist Trophy could be the Mars People, cute, octopus-like aliens who glide along the ground and shoot rayguns, or hover in little flying saucers.

The Peregrine Falcon Support Unit:
-- DoorKeyPig
-- KirbyWorshipper2465
-- Pizza Robo
-- tonygameman
-- Voe
-- BZocky
-- ninjahmos
-- UberPyro64
-- SmashKeks
-- ranmanon
-- ze9
-- Gran-Rojo
-- PsychoJosh

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Mission start! Supporting like nobody's business.

Adding to your Fio Echo proposition, she could have Nadia and Leona incorporated as alts, while Marco gets Tarma, Trevor and the other two Ikari Warriors.

Another AT idea is Hyakutaro Ichimonji, the helpful POW that fires homing energy beams from his hands at enemies when you rescue him.

As far as weapons go, there are enough possibilities (FLAME SHOT! IRON LIZARD! ZANTETSU SWORD! ROCKET LAWNCHAIR!) that realism concerns most likely won't get in the way.

Last edited:

merchantofsalt

Smash Apprentice
Thanks, you guys have been added to the supporters list!

Indeed, Metal Slug has more than enough outlandish firearms to bypass any realism censors Smash Bros. may still have. It'll be interesting to see if Joker is allowed to use his handgun, because that'll pretty much put those concerns to rest.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Thanks, you guys have been added to the supporters list!

Indeed, Metal Slug has more than enough outlandish firearms to bypass any realism censors Smash Bros. may still have. It'll be interesting to see if Joker is allowed to use his handgun, because that'll pretty much put those concerns to rest.
Sure enough, he is!

All that remains now is to wait and see whether SNK's willing to commit to Smash.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Always good for these support threads to introduce me to new series.

No, I don't support him, he seems like a generic Machine Gun user in a game of which I'd never heard.
...but yes, I appreciated learning about him.

Looma

Smash Journeyman
"UH OH BIG!" NEEDS to be a taunt and Marco needs to do that deranged laugh animation that he does for a win pose. I will accept no less from a series as lovingly animated as Metal Slug.

Voe

Smash Journeyman
Add me to the supporters list please. The Metal Slug games are a long time favorite of mine from SNK and would love to see how Sakurai translates the art direction into 3D. As far as alts go I'd love to see Marco have Tarma, Eri, and Fio as his alts (each with an alt color referencing the other playable characters). All of them can be proportioned similar to their in game sprites so that way the female characters can be alts with no issues.

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace
Looks like Fat Pikachu might be right. Marco might be coming to Smash, as well as Frisk from Undertale

BZocky

Smash Ace
Please add me to the supporter's list. I love this series, having Marco in Smash would be a dream come true.

Looma

Smash Journeyman
Holy crap I thought I was wildin when I took this character under my wing.

MARCO? DARLING? IS THAT YOU IN THERE?
73b.gif

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
I’d love to see Marco from Metal Slug join Smash, with a Metal Slug stage that has music from the Metal Slug series, both originals and new remixes. I’d love a Smash remix of Judgement from Metal Slug 2/X.

Voe

Smash Journeyman
I can't believe a potential Metal Slug character, or an SNK rep in general is actually happening now. PLEASE bring them in Sakurai.

Metal Slug squad.png

CAL 2000

Smash Rookie
I literally never thought I'd see the day a Metal Slug character had a higher than 0% chance of being in Smash but man am I glad I was proven wrong.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
I think the best reveal trailer would be something Snake related.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Oof, sorry to see that this support thread is so abysmal (for now anyway.), but I just wanted to say that you have my support for a Metal Slug rep. SNK used to be the King of the arcade cabinet, and though their fighting games are notable, Metal Slug is their other critically well received franchise and even now it's an unspoken rule that any self respecting arcade has a Metal Slug cabinet within its walls. I've been a long time supporter of a Contra character in Smash, and Metal Slug is practically Contra perfected and on a substance trip. If Snake prioritizes stealth and careful placement of bombs to play a strategic zoner, I totally support a character doing the complete opposite and going halls to the wall with unsubtle gunplay and explosions galore, maybe a mech or two just because we're going Rambo up in this game now. If Smash is going to pay homage to the former kings of the arcade (even though SNK as a company is making a steady resurgence.), Metal Slug would be the franchise to do it with.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Oof, sorry to see that this support thread is so abysmal (for now anyway.), but I just wanted to say that you have my support for a Metal Slug rep. SNK used to be the King of the arcade cabinet, and though their fighting games are notable, Metal Slug is their other critically well received franchise and even now it's an unspoken rule that any self respecting arcade has a Metal Slug cabinet within its walls. I've been a long time supporter of a Contra character in Smash, and Metal Slug is practically Contra perfected and on a substance trip. If Snake prioritizes stealth and careful placement of bombs to play a strategic zoner, I totally support a character doing the complete opposite and going halls to the wall with unsubtle gunplay and explosions galore, maybe a mech or two just because we're going Rambo up in this game now. If Smash is going to pay homage to the former kings of the arcade (even though SNK as a company is making a steady resurgence.), Metal Slug would be the franchise to do it with.
Yeah, MS would be the best compromise for Contra, seeing as every unpicked Konami property except Bomberman isn't noticed by fans at large right now.

ranmanon

Smash Cadet
I completely support Marco & his Pals to be in Smash Bros. (With Tarma, Eri and Fio as alt.skins)
I don't have any problems with Terry or Kyo being chosen, but a Metal Slug character would fit perfectly for Smash, imagine their stage being the final mission of MS2/X with the rebel army fighting the mars people on the background or even fighting on Rootmars, also sweet smash remixes of metal slug music.

ze9

Smash Ace
I think Metal Slug fits Smash a lot more AND adds more variety. But the people seems to be with KOF.
Anyeays, I'm ceossing my fingers. Metal Slug has always been and still is my go-to game in the arcades.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
I think Metal Slug fits Smash a lot more AND adds more variety. But the people seems to be with KOF.
Anyeays, I'm ceossing my fingers. Metal Slug has always been and still is my go-to game in the arcades.
Honestly, it's probqably because SNK has been slapping Terry Bogart into everything. If Terry is basically SNK's mascot now like people are saying, then the KoF route makes sense. My heart wants Marco Rossi, but my brain is telling me it's Terry.

ze9

Smash Ace
Honestly, it's probqably because SNK has been slapping Terry Bogart into everything. If Terry is basically SNK's mascot now like people are saying, then the KoF route makes sense. My heart wants Marco Rossi, but my brain is telling me it's Terry.
There could be reasons to add Metal Slug too. It's the only big SNK franchise that hasn't been re-launched recently, and Smash is the most fitting crossover to host Marco and his crew.
But yeah, Terry is definitely more likely. I'll say that Metal Slug is more likely than Samurai Showdown though.

Munchi

Smash Journeyman
Well, just wait to see what happens and who is the selected

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, let's consider what happened last game. The general public assumed that Ryu would get in as a Capcom character first, since any normal Mega Man was getting ignored for other games at that time, yet look what happened. :ultmegaman:

Gran-Rojo

Smash Cadet
I would be unbelievably hype if Tarma got in as a Marco alt, count me as a supporter.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I would be unbelievably hype if Tarma got in as a Marco alt
Marco's alts should definitely be Tarma/Eri/Fio.

Bonus points if the Ikari Warriors are also alts.

ranmanon

Smash Cadet
If the slug squad gets in, for alt colors i would pick them based on other MS characters:

-Marco: Based on Ralf or Clark
-Eri: Based on Nadia from Metal Slug 4 or Maybe Leona from Metal Slug XX
-Tarma: Based on Trevor from Metal Slug 4
-Fio: based on Red Eye from Metal Slug 2nd Impact

As for a Stage i have some ideas too:

-Battlezone where you fight Allen O'Neill (MS1 or 2/X), Allen himself or Morden on his copter can be the stage bosses, lots of easter eggs from the series on the background
-Final Attack from MS2/X, Morden's Rebel Army fight the Mars People on the background
-Final Mission from MS3, it's like one of those tour stages (think delfino plaza or skyloft or the like) you start at the fight against morden, then go into space, then you fight inside the mars people mothership and finally you fight on top of Rootmars, the stage has a unique gimmick on the Rootmars section in that if if Rootmars is defeated, you have to jump inside the Metal Slug that Rootmars is holding before everyone, whoever does it first wins the match (there's no stage loop).

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
Given that there may be an announcement of an SNK character later I am pulling all the way for Metal Slug. I really hope it happens. Metal Slug is way more interesting subject matter than KOF as far as Smash is concerned.

Last edited:

Looma

Smash Journeyman
I freakin love Terry and would be happy to see him, but my thing with him is that the shoto-bros already have me sated for traditional fighting game mechanics. You could tell me "yo Terry Bogard is in Smash" and I'd be excited but at the same time I kind of already know how he plays, ya know?

Marco on the other hand I have no idea. I know he was in Neo Geo Battle Coliseum but it's not really Sakurai's style to just lift from other crossovers (also I never actually played that one, heh). Mega Man is way more fun in Smash than he is in MvC, and I think Marco would be a similar case.

ze9

Smash Ace
Looks like it's going to be Terry.
Ah well, he's pretty cool too, and Metal Slug in Smash was always a long shot anyways. Hope we get at least some Mii costumes. I usually don't like them, but given how I never ever thought Smash and MS would have ever touched, even just that would already be pretty cool

Munchi

Smash Journeyman
Well maybe we will leave doubts in the direct that comes

Voe

Smash Journeyman
Here's to hoping the SNK fighter for DLC is Marco and the other playable Soldiers, and Terry and Nakoruru were just leak bait. No shade torwards the Terry and Nakoruru supporters. I have a lot of love for SNK and would be pretty cool with whoever Sakurai or Nintendo chose as the 4th DLC newcomer.

ranmanon

Smash Cadet
Well, It was Terry after all, but don't get down so quickly, with the confirmation of more DLC characters we might actually get Metal Slug in Smash:
Also, almost every company so far has gotten 2 characters, so we can hope for the 2nd SNK rep to be Marco & co.
Marco was also absent from the Terry trailer, so he isn't ruled out yet, unless we see a Mii Gunner costume when Terry arrives.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
At least no one from Metal Slug was shown failing to catch the invite.

Top Bottom